Vaporizers To Be Banned In US Mail

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Re-posting this for more exposure. Originally posted by @PuffItUp

Since I have your attention, the senate just voted to ban vaporizers in the US mail. If this bill is signed into law, it is going to affect a lot of the artisan manufacturers that we all love. If this matters to you, now would be a good time to contact your representatives. Read about it HERE, Take action HERE

Email from PuffItUp below:

We don't usually do this

But we truly need your help guys n gals. On Monday there is a Bill that will be voted on by congress. It passed unanimously in the Senate and gets sent to the House of Reps on Monday. The Bill is S.1253

This Bill will BAN vapes from shipping through USPS. Only UPS, and FedEx will be able to be used.

You can read more about the Bill HERE and take action HERE

What does this mean for small businesses?

Small Businesses like artisan vape manufacturers will no longer be able to use USPS, and will have to register as a business in all 50 states. This costs TIME, and MONEY. Two things artisan vapes generally don't have.

Companies we love will not be able to do this. This could mean the end to their businesses. The end of you being able to purchase their vaporizers.

What does this mean for YOU?

It means that vapes will be more expensive due to shipping. FedEx and UPS are usually double or triple the cost of USPS, and often slower as well.

If you live in a rural area, you will not be able to purchase vapes through the mail anymore. UPS and FedEx hand off mail to USPS in rural areas. If this bill goes into effect, this can no longer happen.

How can you help?

Call your representatives! Email them too! Don't be a Karen. Be civil, and nice. Let them know that you oppose the bill, and why you do. Tell them your story. Help their interns connect with you and fight for your rights. They are there to represent you.

Tell your friends! Ask them to kindly email and call your local reps, and share their stories.

We aren't going to shill on this email. Please go out and share your stories with your local reps, lets make change happen. We only have this weekend to change history.
Use this tool to find your local representative

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Great that you're spreading the word, @vtac , we in the ecig world have seen this coming for months now, watching it slowly make its way up thru they chains of government.

I appreciate FC Forum doing some ACTION on this matter.

This is something that will affect ALL of us here in the US. PLEASE follow up on this, contact your local representatives, and save vape mail !

:doh: d'oh, signatures to protect children, oof.

iammyself

I emailed my representative yesterday after seeing this posted elsewhere. Here’s what I sent, if anyone wants a template to improve on;

“I am a medical marijuana patient and constituent. I’m writing concerning bill S. 1253. This would make obtaining supplies to consume my medicine more costly, and would adversely effect low income patients who need to obtain the medical supplies, like vaporizers, to safely consume their medicine. Purchasing them online and having them shipped is both more cost effective, but also the only method to some rural patients around the country. As such, I’d urge you to consider voting no on bill S. 1253. Thank you for your consideration.”

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Is there something peoples out of the USA can do to help about that big issue?
Is this law could be contourned declaring to sell "Aromatherapy devices"?

All that story sucks, I like so much our US"artisans Vaporizers" I don't want to see them to disappear cause a stupid law!

Is this law might affect second hands sales?

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Great..... what does this mean for me? I do not sell vaporizers. Only minor accessories. I have no clue how this will affect the biz.

I really would hate to ship through Fedex or another courier. USPS has been an extremely affordable shipping courier for nearly a decade. I have no doubt this would greatly affect sales for every business. Maybe DHL would be a good alternative? I have no clue at all, this is the last thing I needed to hear right now....

Edit - reading the bill it may affect me and I should probably consider getting legal help to keep my business compliant if/when it passes since I have no doubt it will pass especially in an election year when they can tout they're doing it to keep kids safe.

I'd rather be over prepared than under-prepared. How the hell would someone even find a lawyer who could help a small business even navigate this terrain to ensure compliance? I have absolutely no way to handle all this paperwork by myself. I'm sure I'll be asking the community for help when the time comes because FML this SUCKS :bang:

Last edited:

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
This better not pass. It just shows the ignorance of our government.

If this happens consumers will be getting slower transit times at a greater cost. And it won't do anything to keep these items out of the hands of minors.

Please let them know what you think.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I'm glad our rulers have decided that vape mail is an important issue to tackle now. :rolleyes:

And once this law is enacted, you can bet nobody will ever repeal it. Can someone help build a small banner ad linking to a site asking people to take action? I think we should get this on every vaporizer website in existence. Get everyone to write to their house leaders to get this bill stopped.

I've already written to my house representative and warned him that passing this bill could affect my small business, as well as warn him this would likely stall my plans for hiring more staff in the future.

Last edited:

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
I'm in Canada and even if we have amazing retailers like Great White North Vaporizer Company (Sneaky Pete Vaporizers), Planetvape or have access to American retailers having a Canadian version of their website like Planet of the Vapes, I still buy a lot of stuff from the USA. Vgoodies, Delta3Dstudios, DDavemods to name a few all offer something I can't get anywhere else and I don't want to loose my access to them or worse see them close. A lot of innovative product came from small shop or from one guy in his basement pushing new products and ideas that have change what vaping is today. They became successful because people took a risk and bought their products when they were just starting. If you make it more difficult, more expensive and sometimes just impossible for people to buy stuff they will go somewhere else to spend money. Do you think Dynavap would be what it is today if the price of a Vapcap was the same as the shipping? The growth would have been a lot slower, maybe it would not have reach all those people who had their lives change because of the Vapcap. Or maybe there would be no Vapcap because no one would be willing to take a risk and release a new product when the chance of success is already sabotaged because of the price of the shipping. Innovation is one of the reasons this industry is so fascinating and if there's no market to sell your stuff a lot of talented folks will not even bother to take a chance and create the next generation of vapes.

Before I go here's what I wrote in the Puff It Up thread, I think it should be here also:
I'm not in the US so can't do anything to help but this need to be heard. If shipping is only possible from UPS, Fedex and DHL not only the shipping fee are a lot more expensive but when you do international shipping you have to add duty, taxes and they always charge more for handling. I just got an order delivered from Fedex coming from California, for an item that cost me 134.99$ I had to pay 20.00$ for shipping and Fedex charged me 38.86$ for all those fees. I'm already getting fucked by the exchange rate between USD and CAD so it's getting insane. Everything is already more expensive because of the pandemic so if this continue I will have to rethink the way I'm spending my money for stuff from the USA.

If you can please take action and help everybody in the community who can't make their voices heard, follow the link and also spread the message.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Wish I could spend a day walking in the shoes of an out of touch career politician just to see what it’s like to actually live in a fairy tale...

Where are the year-to-date statistics demonstrating that online orders of vape products are some smoking gun? Oh wait, they don’t have any - the RESEARCH is to come AFTER the bill is passed - see Section 4

“SEC. 4. UNDERSTANDING THE IMPACT OF E-CIGARETTE USE BY ADOLESCENTS AND YOUNG ADULTS.
The National Institutes of Health, in coordination with other appropriate agencies, shall conduct a study on the short-term and long-term health impacts of e-cigarette use by youth and young adults under 21 years of age, that includes the following:...”

So now we’re foreshadowing laws under the guise of “safety” in the name of studies which have not even taken place. Why even perform such a study AFTER a ban has taken place, if not for maximum skewing of data/results for the agencies funding the studies whom seek to benefit from them?

Im befuddled how this online ban will somehow prevent experimenting kids from purchasing tobacco products from their same local buddy/connect/“plug” that sells them booze and molly tablets already? We had internet when I was in high school and it certainly didn’t make it easier to buy stuff behind moms back when she had first dibs at the mailbox. The targeted age demographic of this bill doesn’t even have money for ordering online vapes, and if they do, then they’ll have no trouble obtaining one regardless.

More laws designed to reward the bad guy why doesn’t follow them, and unneeded pressure on locally owned vape shops to force people into Big Tobacco’s proprietary/disposable vape brands.

The only good news is since most of these laws are literally designed as a lucrative profiteering lobbyist loophole, there’s almost always ways through. I’ve identified at least four alternative stances but the takeaway is the bill is specifically targeting electronic devices - torch based vapes seem in the clear for now.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
“(7) ELECTRONIC NICOTINE DELIVERY SYSTEM.—The term ‘electronic nicotine delivery system’—

“(A) means any electronic device that, through an aerosolized solution, delivers nicotine, flavor, or any other substance to the user inhaling from the device;

My interpretation is that the key word here is "solution". Dry herb is not a solution.

This law is clearly targeting devices that use liquids, concentrates, etc...

As always, It's frustrating to see no clear delineation between two very different vaporizer markets.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
My interpretation is that the key word here is "solution". Dry herb is not a solution.

This law is clearly targeting devices that use liquids, concentrates, etc...

As always, It's frustrating to see no clear delineation between two very different vaporizer markets.

Very good observation!

badbee

Unfortunately this is a ship that has already sailed, or at least it's pulling away from the dock. A variation has already passed in the House and this version has passed in the Senate. The House is now just voting on the reconciliation of the two bills and it is almost guaranteed to pass. Interpreting this will be a mess, expect a lot of inconsistency in enforcement.

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
snip - How the hell would someone even find a lawyer who could help a small business even navigate this terrain to ensure compliance? I have absolutely no way to handle all this paperwork by myself. I'm sure I'll be asking the community for help when the time comes because FML this SUCKS :bang:

NORML has a state-by-state listing of lawyers - "Browse and compare lawyers on our National Legal Committee. Lawyers focused on marijuana defense and cannabis business law."

ps side note - Order placed for a vape spittoon!

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
Unfortunately this is a ship that has already sailed, or at least it's pulling away from the dock. A variation has already passed in the House and this version has passed in the Senate. The House is now just voting on the reconciliation of the two bills and it is almost guaranteed to pass. Interpreting this will be a mess, expect a lot of inconsistency in enforcement.
This is not a reason to stop getting our voices heard. Even if the law pass we must continue to fight it. If nobody complain the government have no reason to reverse the law. The reason the ship is passing under our nose is because nobody talked about it. The best way to change something is to spread awareness of the cause. The more people to shout, the bigger the voice, until they cannot ignore us and change their mind on vaping.:goon:

Top Bottom