Vaporization temperature dependent selection of effects

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
THC boils around temperature of 160C in a vacuum
For example, the vapor pressures of THC at 155°C and 190°C are about 0.05 torr and 0.3 torr, respectively, leading to boiling points higher than 400°C
425°C to be exact, as @MinnBobber already mentioned.

The MB distribution does not only refer to gasses, but any particle that is volatile.

GoldenBud

425°C to be exact, as @MinnBobber already mentioned.

The MB distribution does not only refer to gasses, but any particle that is volatile.
ok i see yeah so the mixture we inhale definitely contains significant amount of THC gas, THC oil, and air. it's not just air+oils.
MB distribution works here it seems, higher temp leads to less oils being left in the herb.

GoldenBud,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I'm having a bit of an issue with the term. Under normal conditions, hydrogen can be a gas. Oxygen too. But these are elements, not a complex molecule like THC. As long as it's intact, it's still a liquid (or an oil, if you will), only with enough kinetic energy for us to inhale conveniently.

Again: every liquid evaporates all the time. Take a glass of water and watch it – even at room temp, a significant amount will eventually be gone, just takes some time. In the case of THC it evaporates too slow for us to inhale because under normal conditions it doesn't have enough kinetic energy, so we have to increase its kinetic energy by increasing its temperature (basically temperature *is* kinetic energy). But it's a much more gradual procedure than what those charts suggest, because they only show the temperature where *all* thc molecules have enough kinetic energy to evaporate (and again: in a world without air pressure...). It creates such a misleading narrative of all the components being neatly divided by their boiling points, suggesting we could precisely enjoy a certain component by choosing a certain temperature on our vape (and avoiding others by avoiding their boiling points). And that's just totally not the case.

GoldenBud

I'm having a bit of an issue with the term. Under normal conditions, hydrogen can be a gas. Oxygen too. But these are elements, not a complex molecule like THC. As long as it's intact, it's still a liquid (or an oil, if you will), only with enough kinetic energy for us to inhale conveniently.

Again: every liquid evaporates all the time. Take a glass of water and watch it – even at room temp, a significant amount will eventually be gone, just takes some time. In the case of THC it evaporates too slow for us to inhale because under normal conditions it doesn't have enough kinetic energy, so we have to increase its kinetic energy by increasing its temperature (basically temperature *is* kinetic energy). But it's a much more gradual procedure than what those charts suggest, because they only show the temperature where *all* thc molecules have enough kinetic energy to evaporate (and again: in a world without air pressure...). It creates such a misleading narrative of all the components being neatly divided by their boiling points, suggesting we could precisely enjoy a certain component by choosing a certain temperature on our vape (and avoiding others by avoiding their boiling points). And that's just totally not the case.
I understand,
so the mixture is like : Air+THC oil+Terpenes oil+Terpenes gas+very very minimal THC gas, almost nothing. to be exact. i think.
THC has a vapor pressure ofc, but very minimal. almost every liquid/solid has a vapor pressure above it, it seems

GoldenBud,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
We should rather call it "temperature" or "kinetic energy" instead of "vapor pressure" (I know I did so myself...). The pressure comes from outside. Our atmosphere is creating it – think of it like weight that sits on everything. In space we don't have that pressure, hence boiling points are much lower than here on earth.

It's the same effect that lets water boil at lower temperatures when you're on a mountain. You can even let water boil at room temperature by simply decreasing the pressure of the area surrounding it, see →here. So either you decrease the pressure or increase the kinetic energy / temperature, both will let liquids evaporate faster and eventually boil. The numbers we see in said charts refer to an environment with zero pressure, hence are no practical reference points here on earth (unless we introduce the respective pressure into the equation).

I suppose we would need a temperature well above the combustion line to have any of the key elements be in a gaseous state. What we inhale is mostly droplets with a relatively high temp – still a liquid, but with a kinetic booster.

Last edited:

Radwin Bodnic

I'd like to add that cannabinoids are trapped inside the heads of glandular trichromes. It is a closed system where there is no air inside the glands but just oil. Cannabinoids just can't escape even with enough kinetic energy, unless we melt the waxy membranes of the trichromes.
And then during the thermal extraction process, the viscosity of the oils turns them into droplets.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

I'd like to add that cannabinoids are trapped inside the heads of glandular trichromes. It is a closed system where there is no air inside the glands but just oil. Cannabinoids just can't escape even with enough kinetic energy, unless we melt the waxy membranes of the trichromes.
And then during the thermal extraction process, the viscosity of the oils turns them into droplets.
I think the cannabinoids can escape because the air outside is lacking from cannabinoids and the system wants to reach equilibrium. Same reason why our wet clothes, after washing machine, are getting dried in the winter, the air is lacking water, the wet clothes are rich in water. So the water molecules escape the clothes to balance. But again water is less heavy than cannabinoids so it's easier to escape of course!

GoldenBud,
Top Bottom