Vapor smell going into other units. What can I do to mitigate?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
There's no smoking policy in the building but I don't want any trouble. I don't vape in a room that borders any other unit, but clearly that's not enough. I'm dabbing for now with a Sai and a Smoke Buddy and will be getting an XMAX V3 PRO to see if it's more controllable. Long-term, I want to make sure I have a nice row of ducks.
Are you saying there is no policy that prohibits smoking? And, are you in a "legal" state?
If so, then this is about changing times and peoples' reluctance to change with the times.

I think @florduh's argument, using the example of awful cooking fumes and living in proximity to neighbors is spot on. As a vegetarian, I can say that I am at times offended by the smell of searing flesh wafting in my window coming off my neighbor's barbeques etc., but I don't tell them to take it elsewhere, and I'm not gonna let them tell me not to vape in my backyard which I do with discretion; not if children around, etc.

Your neighbors are not getting contact highs from you unit, they are simply being intolerant. If they were getting a buzz, they probably wouldn't bother you! :lol:

You could easily claim some physical ailment or condition that is alleviated by cannabis? and tell them to fuck off? politely, of course.

Last edited:

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
you could easily spend hundred's of dollars on filters and sprays but I think those dicks who made the complaint won't be satisfied till you move out and will make further complaints hoping they can have someone catch you in the act, random apartment sniffing for the super to come by. they will likely tell all of your other neighbours what you are up to to further tighten the noose. so they can go home toast over a bottle of wine about getting rid of that good for nothing stoner :rolleyes: my way is bending the truth but at least you get to live out loud and proud since all your neighbours will already know

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah I mean they started with the lies clearly! I know someone who was so annoyed by their neighbor smoking cigarettes (understandably bc it's gross), that they actually got their landlord to pay for multiple air purifiers in their own apartment.. Seems like the complainers here are the ones who really need the purifier perhaps!

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
If you can switch to concentrates that will make a big difference. Dabbing/vaping concentrates is nearly 0 smell. It may smell a little in the room you're dabbing in but otherwise it dissipates very quickly.

I have tried very hard to keep the smells from my place at a minimum as I appreciate that everyone doesn't enjoy the smell. When I decarb that's definitely the worst. Since legalization in my state I've been a bit less worried about it and have resumed vaping flower in a Solo 1. I do however keep airflow moving away from my front door at nearly all times and you can smell the difference in the hallway and entry of my building when I do not.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
If you can switch to concentrates that will make a big difference.
OP said he's doing dabs in a Sai and using a smoke buddy already, but considering a dry herb vape, if that might cause less odor.

I happen to agree with you, that the concentrates make for less odor than flower, for sure.
Even less would be distillate oils in a pen or something, but let's hope he doesn't have to go there...

florduh

I think concentrates overall do have less smell issues. But that's gonna depend on what you're dabbing. The highest quality stuff smells almost as much as flower. And all dabbing is conduction vaporization which allows more smells to escape than convection.

Also, choosing a vaporizer over combusting already means you're consuming cannabis flower in a less smelly way than 90+% of the folks who buy flower.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
if you ask me the problem is not the smell
While I agree with your sentiment.... there are valid reasons for people to not want to smell cannabis.

There are whole neighborhoods in California that can't open their windows.

Imagine someone who is smell sensitive. (I am quite a bit.) If someone moved in next door to me and started making curry all the time I would likely be upset.

Imagine someone who really doesn't like cannabis or it's smell in general or has a valid negative association to the smell.

Maybe someone has children and doesn't want the smell around their kids so much.

Maybe they are a recovering addict, or just a straight person/someone who doesn't use cannabis, you have a right to have the place you pay rent in not smell like flower.

Just sayin'

Bad Dog

there will always be someone who takes offence to things and living in a communal setting of course things have to be taken into consideration but I've been a medical user for the last 15 years and before that I was just a criminal for partaking of my drug of choice. I live where I'm free to do as I please with the closest neighbour is a 15 minute walk away and that can still be to close for my liking lol. we can either take a live and let live Philosophy with things that people do around us or just be mad and bitter about things that are beyond our control all day everyday. I'm lucky enough to live in a country where cannabis is legal but I still remember when it wasn't and how those around me treated me because of my choices. so now its legal to walk down the street and partake in my meds but that certainly hasn't stopped all the dirty looks I get. we've been demonized for so long, having to lurk in the shadows, never sure who we could be honest with and that negative association still follows many of us around today. I don't vape in doorways under the awning of a business or go to my local park where all the children are playing and vape my brains out but I'm not going to hide away now that it is legal either. no one is going to stop me from doing what is now perfectly legal and if people choose to be offended by that its not my problem. and I don't buy the whole think of the children thing, I'm sure most of those parents who want to shield their children from the evils of cannabis have no problem knocking back a few beers in front of them regularly, its in tv show, movies, music, look away little Johny lest you become corrupted. you can't make everyone happy all the time its just not possible.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
we've been demonized for so long, having to lurk in the shadows, never sure who we could be honest with and that negative association still follows many of us around today.
Amen, dog.

The layers of shame and fear felt stripped away when we legalized it here.

Back in the 90's cops would let us white guys go because if they pressed charges for weed our lives would be destroyed. The old Rockefeller laws, three strikes bullshit; a gram of weed could get you as much penalty as a gram of cocaine. The paranoia would make me sick at times back then.

Now it reeks like flower everywhere in NYC. Almost every other block smells here. The sweet smell of progress!

Bad Dog

there is still so much stigma associated with cannabis and we lived under the boot of the government for so long that we still feel like we have to keep it hidden even today. I don't miss those days walking through some sketchy neighbourhood hoping against hope that you run into someone who approaches you asking if you want to buy, having to drive home with it in the glovebox hoping you don't get pulled over or into a ride program and the cop asks what's that smell??? the stress of those days was palpable and I do not miss them and the low quality weed you usually got suckered into buying.

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
To contrast your experience, my wife walked into the living room yesterday five minutes after I had a 10min Solo 2 session. She came in to check on me after a coughing fit (yeah five minutes after the coughing, was probably hoping I finally kicked the bucket). Didn’t smell a thing, didn’t know I was vaping until I told her the source of the coughing. Your neighbors must have the scenting powers of bloodhounds.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@CanikUser19 she also is desensitized to it I suppose, solo definitely is stinkier, but my favorite is that I've used my on-demand pure convection vapes and oil pens, literally next to my friends in a movie theater, while they had no idea! (whether or not they are around weed often or not or partake or not)...

florduh

I think it's important to try and be a good neighbor. Do your best to reduce the smell (like, for example, opting for vaporization over combustion). Light a candle and get Ona/Ozium or an air purifier that's rated for smoke.

If people still complain, I don't know what to tell them. Life's rough. There are lots of obnoxious things about living in close proximity to other humans. But I wouldn't dream of telling anyone not to cook curry, even if I preferred not to smell it. I remember living in a building with a courtyard. Every Sunday afternoon when I was trying to nap off my hangover, it sounded like there was a children's birthday in the courtyard. Never tried to ban children from the building.

@Shit Snacks I completely agree on the convection thing. It may even be more discreet than dabbing. My gf swears the smelliest vape I ever had was the Puffco Peak. A a little vapor escaped every time you fiddle with the carb cap.

Nina

annoyed by their neighbor smoking cigarettes (understandably bc it's gross)
well you say that, and I'm not in any way an advocate of smoking cigarettes but I do quite like the smell of it when it's 'fresh' 👀

Back in the 90's I smoked a joint every night and no one ever said nuthin. I used to enjoy the smell of last nights cannabis smoke in the lounge when I got up in the morning now I am deprived of that extra pleasure because I have to keep my neighbours sweet with fans & open windows.
For me the problem with open windows is that, when I am stoned I become convinced that spiderman's evil twin is about to BURST through the window, so then I have to creep over to the window and shut it quickly before he gets me.
The trials & tribulations!! My neighbours have no idea:D

JollyGreenGiant

My better half is VERY sensitive to the scent of cannabis vapor and can't stand it, as it gives her a headache. Normally we'll be on different floors and opposite sides of the house if i'm vaping indoors, until two days ago. For whatever reason, the Tafée Bowle I have seems to output vapor with little discernable scent. I do have air purifiers throughout the house, and they have charcoal filtration - but that didn't cut it in the past. As I type - I'm using my Tafée Bowle a mere 6 feet away from her, and she can't smell it.

Any Tafée Bowle owners experience similar?

florduh

My better half is VERY sensitive to the scent of cannabis vapor and can't stand it, as it gives her a headache. Normally we'll be on different floors and opposite sides of the house if i'm vaping indoors, until two days ago. For whatever reason, the Tafée Bowle I have seems to output vapor with little discernable scent. I do have air purifiers throughout the house, and they have charcoal filtration - but that didn't cut it in the past. As I type - I'm using my Tafée Bowle a mere 6 feet away from her, and she can't smell it.

Any Tafée Bowle owners experience similar?

I'm guessing it's the on demand, convection aspect that makes it less smelly.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I see those kind of questions a lot on reddit and it always amazes me – exhaling in some dumb tube, keeping the fan on for hours, towels under the door... I'd rather stop doing cannabis than consume in such a derogatory way. We are adults, not teens hiding our secrets from our grandparents and while I do believe in having a good relationship with our neighbors, I definitely think having a good relationship to ourselves by preserving our dignity as human beings is much more important. If someone has a problem with some smell, they can talk to me like adults. People claiming contact highs are obviously not acting as adults. I wouldn't give a fuck at all.

Anyway, one thing I sometimes use to mask smells (other smells, though) is „→Papier d’Arménie” and I highly recommend it. It even won a price at the Exposition Universelle in Paris in 1889. :-)

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Interesting how many regulars here, who vape regularly and even grow, have wives with "a drug dog nose for weed" and "my wife, who can smell pot smoke 2 towns away". Too funny. But not too funny to be hiding a daily habit from one's SO. That would make me completely crazy, having to hide not an occasional "transgression" but daily or more often in my own home. But I guess we all do what we gotta do.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Having older kids around, I have to be extra cautious. My smoke buddies won't cut it anymore because of the secondary vapor created, even with a 510 conc vape. For me, the safest bet is to go outside. In the winter, it means just opening the backdoor. Winter vaping for me is not for the faint of heart. I used to use the Smoke buddy and go in the basement, but these days those techniques don't cut it. Luckily I have some space around my house.

florduh

Interesting how many regulars here, who vape regularly and even grow, have wives with "a drug dog nose for weed" and "my wife, who can smell pot smoke 2 towns away". Too funny. But not too funny to be hiding a daily habit from one's SO. That would make me completely crazy, having to hide not an occasional "transgression" but daily or more often in my own home. But I guess we all do what we gotta do.

My lady friend only occasionally does lame, store bought distillate edibles, and sometimes even lamer fruity distillate cartridge hits. Not a regular user at all. She doesn't love the smell of vaped herb. She's not a pain in the ass about it though. She'll give me shit if my breath reeks, but is never upset. I'm just way more passionate about weed. So I'm respectful and take a few minor steps to keep from smelling up the whole house.

Funny story though. She's finally been hit really bad by that disease we're not allowed to talk about anymore. I live in the same house and sleep in the same bed as her. My test 12 days ago came back negative, and I still feel like a million bucks. So I think I'm out of the woods at this point.

Now, I've had 3 shots. But so has she. So now, my (mostly tongue in cheek) hypothesis is that the herb has protected me. I'm not making a scientific argument here. This theory is only useful for my personal little domestic "dispute". But holy shit am I gonna be riding this W for a while.

Any time she makes a comment about smells or makes fun of my vape toy collection, I get to say "Hey remember that time you coughed your brains out for 2 weeks and I was fine? Golly gee, is weed miraculous!" Literally my face once enough time went by, and I realized I didn't get infected:

Jerry Seinfeld Lol GIF

Top Bottom