Discontinued Vapolution vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuckthebear

Been lurking around on this site (great site btw) since last summer, but I feel I have something to contribute so here goes my first post.

Ive owned a Vapolution since the end of last summer and just picked up a PD (arrived a week ago). I really can't speak too knowledgeably about Da Buddah and how it compares to the Vapo since Ive only test driven a DBV a couple of times, so instead Ill share my thoughts on the Vapo and how it compares to the PD.

The Vapo has a much steeper learning curve than the PD, and as a consequence of being more difficult to use, is more prone to user error. Matter of fact, I *still* scorch the occasional load when I get distracted. This learning curve also makes sharing vapor with friends more difficult. Still, once you learn how to use it properly (took me about a week), it is very efficient and is the best tasting vape I have used, particularly with the AIW bowl. The PD comes close in the taste dept but all glass does make a difference. The Vapo heats up pretty quick. After plugging mine in, I am tasting vapor in about 6mins. Very versatile vape as it has a variety of bowls/whips you can use (the AIW glass vapor tube and the larger sized straight bowl/whip are my two favs) and with a skilled vaporist at the helm, you can either run it hot for thicker hits (I like the 1 o'clock spot on the dial for this), or turn it down for a smaller, thinner (and tastier IMO, at least at first) hits. The car adapter and battery pack make it portable, but the battery pack is rather clumsy, particulary when walking around with it.

Vapolution's customer service, in my experience, has been excellent. I have had to replace the vape twice (both earlier this year, both within a month of each other) and they were very responsive to my emails and turnaround time was fast. First time it broke was in Feb09. It was the temp knob that failed. Knob was fine until my dog and roommate's cat caught the power cord with their tails while chasing each other around the living room. Vapo got dragged off the table and hit the floor pretty hard. Afterwards,my Vapo still worked ok, but the temp knob became very gritty and seized up about a week later. Sent my vape to CA and one week and $25 later had a new Vapo in my hands. Fast forward about a month. I was running the Vapo off battery power in my kitchen. I set the vape down on the counter but failed to notice that while the vape was sitting solidly on the counter, the battery pack was right on the edge. Immediately after setting the vape down on the counter, as I reached for the AIW bowl that was still inserted in the top, the battery pack went over the edge of the counter and dragged the vape down to the floor with it. Since the AIW bowl was still in it when it fell, the results were a smashed AIW bowl and smashed glass heater. The Vapo folks were nice enough to replace my AIW bowl for free and only charge $25 for the broken heater (normally its $50) after I complained bitterly about the battery design. BTW, the vape is rugged enough to withstand the shock of most drops/falls, the exception being if it falls with the AIW bowl still inserted in the top. That will break the heater just about every time, or so the Vapo folks tell me.

I have something new to report, BTW. There is now a fix for the awkward battery problem. The Vapo folks finally came out with a harness for the battery. You slip the battery into the harness and slip the harness onto the vape. Don't know why they didnt do this sooner (or why I didnt just invest in a simple Velcro strap in the meantime!). I just ordered one yesterday by calling them directly (its new enough that its not available off their website yet), so I will get to test it out shortly. Mebbe with a simple mod or two, might be able to adapt it to my PD as well...

The PD by comparison is a simple device, and not in a bad way. Like the Vapo its another quality vape that is small, portable (using the Vapo batt pack), and efficient. Unlike the Vapo, there is no temp knob to fiddle with (or break!). The unit is very rugged. If the F250 that rolls over it in the vids couldnt break one, i doubt that even a partcularly nasty fall will do more than scratch up the wood body. Its also very pretty, but then im partial to wood. Feels better in the hand than the Vapo as its smaller. It tastes very good, tho not as good as the all-glass Vapo. On the other hand its stainless steel heat exchanger has more stored heat for you to draw upon. Unlike the Vapo, where its possible to overwhelm the heater by pulling too hard, particularly on longer draws, the PD takes several loaded tubes in a row before the vapor starts to thin out a bit. My favorite part of the PD really is how easy it now is to share vapor with friends. I just hand them the PD, a loaded tube and tell em to 'pull on it nice an easy, like its a one-hitter' and they get vapor w/o any problems. The biggest downside is the 30min warmup time, but I never unplug mine, since its designed to be left plugged in 24/7.

Between the two, I find myself using the PD more than the Vapo due to its ease of operation, ruggedness, and on-demand convenience, but I still use the Vapo daily. I'm just hooked on the taste I get with it. Neither the PD nor the Vapo is capable of delivering huge, lung-choking, mind-numbing (and wasteful!) hits that will launch you into the stratosphere by the time youre done exhaling, so if thats what you want look elsewhere, but both of them are capable of decent sized vapor clouds that will get you to your desired cruising altitude with minimal waste.

tuckthebear,

max

Out to lunch
Welcome tuckthebear. About time you quit being a lurker. ;) Nice review on the Vapo and how it compares to the PD. Having used both models (a lot), I can agree with your conclusions. Except for heat up time, the PD gets the edge in every aspect except the all glass vapor path (which you've shown has its hazards). I've only blown the dust off my Vapo a couple of times since acquiring a PD a year ago.

It was the temp knob that failed. Knob was fine until my dog and roommate's cat caught the power cord with their tails while chasing each other around the living room. Vapo got dragged off the table and hit the floor pretty hard. Afterwards,my Vapo still worked ok, but the temp knob became very gritty and seized up about a week later.
I'm not sure your gritty temp control was due to the unit getting knocked of the table. I have two Vapos (a 'lot' sale on eBay for $80-best vape buy ever for me) and the temp control has gotten gritty on both units (with no accidents for either). I've also heard the complaint from others. IMO this is the weak point in the Vapo design, along with the difficulty of loading the bowl so that you get thorough heating without overcooking.

max,

tuckthebear

max said:
Welcome tuckthebear. About time you quit being a lurker. ;) Nice review on the Vapo and how it compares to the PD. Having used both models (a lot), I can agree with your conclusions. Except for heat up time, the PD gets the edge in every aspect except the all glass vapor path (which you've shown has its hazards). I've only blown the dust off my Vapo a couple of times since acquiring a PD a year ago.

It was the temp knob that failed. Knob was fine until my dog and roommate's cat caught the power cord with their tails while chasing each other around the living room. Vapo got dragged off the table and hit the floor pretty hard. Afterwards,my Vapo still worked ok, but the temp knob became very gritty and seized up about a week later.
I'm not sure your gritty temp control was due to the unit getting knocked of the table. I have two Vapos (a 'lot' sale on eBay for $80-best vape buy ever for me) and the temp control has gotten gritty on both units (with no accidents for either). I've also heard the complaint from others. IMO this is the weak point in the Vapo design, along with the difficulty of loading the bowl so that you get thorough heating without overcooking.
Max, Thanks for the welcoming words. I had been about to post a few times before, but just never got around to it. Hard to believe, I know, but procrastination and vapor do seem to go hand in hand...

I had heard about the issues with the Vapo's temp knob before and since mine broke ive been religious about using my trusty can of Blow Off foaming electronics cleaner to clean out the knob whenever it gets gritty. Does the job quite nicely. I'm still pretty sure the fall was what ultimately caused the grittiness in the temp knob in my case. Was working fine just before the fall, but immediately afterwards, it wouldnt turn smoothly and looked to be a slightly more off-center than it used to be before the fall... a week's use just finished it off.

I happen to think my PD complements my Vapo very nicely. Despite their similarities, they are very different beasts, which is another reason why I still wind up using both of em regularly. For example, in addition to occasionally wanting the pure taste the Vapo can give, sometimes I want to hit the whip. PD doesnt have a whip. Also, I have found that the Vapo likes using well cured, but still slightly moist, coarsely ground herb. I guess the extra H2O in the plant matter helps keep it from scorching and there is still enough room for adequate airflow. The PD, on the other hand, likes bone dry, finely ground herb. This means that when I run out of the bone dry stuff the PD prefers, I can switch to the Vapo and enjoy its flavor while I wait for the next batch of material destined for the PD to dry out. Lastly, If I happen to misplace my grinder (vapor and forgetfulness seem to go hand in hand as well...), I have to wait till I find it to properly enjoy the PD, but I can still use my fingers to break up a small bud and use it in the Vapo. All that being said, if I had to choose one and only one, it would be the PD, which prolly explains why I use it about 70% of the time. Its only been a week since I got the PD and I s'pose I may eventually get tired of the Vapo, but I dont think so.

Next week I get to see how the new battery harness for the Vapo works. Once I get to test it out, Ill let ya know. Next toy after that will be a MF Launch Box, I think, and maybe a Launch Tube as well, though my ancient Jetta's brakes probably need to come first. Magic Flight's designs have me intrigued...

Anywho, later. Didnt mean to sit here thinking an typing for 20mins and as a result I can smell my chicken and pasta burning on the stove... oops!

tuckthebear,

BenTokin

So, I'd love to post the whole thing here too, but I did a rip-apart review of my vapolution over at stonerforums in the vaporizer section. I think it's pretty informative of what goes wrong with the units....

BenTokin,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
It seems to me this is a viable option for anyone wanting a good vape for under $150...all glass path, too. And with the PD hard to get, it probably should get some looks.

marcuss...any more thoughts on this unit now that you have half a dozen vaporizers?

stickstones,

marcuss

above the clouds
Diavolo...the green Vapo has been my first real vape so i can be partial on it!
I cannot compare it to the PD still but i can suppose that for certain aspects are similar.
I found the Vapo a great vape to test different strains for its glass system....it is quite small and you can change pellet/strain/flavor quite often without using a lot of herb.
It is portable....but i leave it at home because with the AIW bowl it is very fragile.
No one of the units i've seen were defective but yes some strange noise from the knob can happens but usually does't affect the vape.
I can bet that any defective unit will be replaced with no questions by the five star customers service!

marcuss,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
How would you rate it compared to your other vapes, especially the all glass herborizer? Do you ever use it anymore? It's not even listed in your sig...that should tell me something!

stickstones,

vap999

With the Vapolution being "All Glass" and the original "glass on glass" vaporizer, those following this thread may be interested in the 'What exactly does "glass on glass" mean?' thread I started. Besides inquiring about what "glass on glass" means in terms of vaporizer marketing claims (apparently, not much), I also have some questions about the long-term safety of glass. [Vaporizer heaters are extreme environments, glass is fragile and it is not going to last forever].

vap999,

marcuss

above the clouds
Yes my Vapo is off of my signature for the low usage in the last times...i still like its juicy hits from the AIW bowl to test some new buds but we are usually two hungry mouths to feed and the Herbo is the right cow.
In fact of purity of taste IMO the Vapo is great but you need to deal with the bowl to avoid to overcook your pellet and fall down in the heater...you know i'm lazy and the Herborizer is always ready
If you like to control your high's level with smaller hits and you want a real all glass vapor path the Vapolution is a vape to consider.
I'm a TreatingYourself magazine reader and i've seen more than one patient's smoke test made with a Vapolution vaporizer...take a look at the issue 16

marcuss,

JohnnyL

Hi Guys,
I've been doing some research and really like the Vapolution Vaporizer. I can get a brand new unit with 2 All-in-WB's and battery w/recharger for $150. I would like to hear any feedback from those with Vapolution experience. Thanx...

JohnnyL,

max

Out to lunch
A Vapo withi two AIW bowls and a BP for $150, and brand new? Who is offering such a great deal?

I used the Vapo on a regular basis for about two years. It's a really nice combo vape. It isn't the best home whip vape for big hits or the best portable, size wise, but a good combination of the two. It doesn't pay to grind your herb with this vape. You need to load pieces due to the dimple in the glass that serves as a screen, and it can be difficult sometimes to get top rate efficiency without overcooking, but the all glass vapor path (with the AIW bowl) is nice. It's a reliable unit. The most common problem seems to be getting some insulation material (mica flakes) in the temp control works down the road. You can leave the temp control set and just use the on/off switch though.

I now prefer the Purple-Days over the Vapolution, but the Vapo provides more versatile use as a portable with quicker heat up time, and getting the BP with the unit for $150 is a great deal.

max,

ReffGnarley

I've used Vapolution for about 3 years and it has been a great vaporizer. Glass on glass really brings out the taste in the herb.

It was my first vaporizer and made me want to quit smoking. I now have a Vapor Bros. and a glass Vapor Genie. I recommend all 3.

:peace:

ReffGnarley,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
ReffGnarley said:
I've used Vapolution for about 3 years and it has been a great vaporizer. Glass on glass really brings out the taste in the herb.

It was my first vaporizer and made me want to quit smoking. I know have a Vapor Bros. and a glass Vapor Genie. I recommend all 3.

:peace:
Gnarley...welcome to the forum!

Now please get your butt over to the Vapor Genie thread and give us a review of the glass one...we've been waiting over there! Actually, better yet, start a new thread for that unit with your review.

Thanks!

stickstones,

stew

Hi,

I've decided to get a vaporizer so I can stop smoking. Only thing is, it HAS to be under 100 as I don't want to be spending loads of money yet. However, I don't want some poorly made chinese box for the sake of a few pounds. My thinking is I'll also get free herb when my friends want to use it, so 100 is my absolute maximum.

The vaporizer that has caught my eye is the Vapolution. It's 90, but not some unknown brand from china. It has positive reviews, but I have heard a few things.

Is it true that you have to put solid bud in the whip, and not ground herb? Also, I've heard things about getting bits of weed coming through the whip into your mouth as you inhale because there is no filter?

So could anyone confirm or prove these points wrong? Anything else I should know?

Thanks very much,

Stew

stew,

talley

This sounds pretty great, but I'm just wondering about what you guys are doing to "scorch" the bud. Do you just have to take the tube out every once in a while? What about with the handsfree kit? Also, how can I get the most out of my bud with it? doesn't seem like you can do much as far as stirring.

talley,
I hereby bring this post back to life, haven traded my VG classic for a gently used Vapolution.

I have mixed but mostly positive feelings after a day and a half or so. Basically it's just a conduction vaporizer with likely some small convection characteristics, and works very much like a crude light-bulb style concept. While that sounds like total crap, it does work very effectively and I'm actually coming around to the no-screen design. The all-in-wonder bowl is what I've used mostly but the tubing actually isn't bad. Would not even think about buying one at 150 given other vape options but nontheless, I still like it.

Edit: put a nice hookah mouthpiece on the tubing and tried again, you can get clouds off this little thing. Seriously - and more easily than with the AIWB.

charliedontsurf,

max

Out to lunch
Basically it's just a conduction vaporizer with likely some small convection characteristics
No, it's a convection vape. Although the bowl is inserted into the heating chamber, there's no contact between heated surface and herb. As with any whip vape, the hot air is drawn through the bowl and herb. Since the glass chamber is heated from the outside, and the bowls use no screen, this is one of the few models with a 100% glass vapor path (assuming you're using the AIW bowl, which I highly recommend). With the straight or buddy bowls, used with tubing, the vapor path is all glass until it reaches the tubing.

I don't really see how this design is really an improvement over the old one, except in that it might be easier to hold by hand.
It's not clear that the top part (smaller diameter) is smaller than the original design, and they don't mention any other performance or design changes . They may have just made the bottom wider, for better stability. I notice that the price for the basic kit has increased $25, up to $175. With the original design going for less than $125 (delivered) on eBay, I'd have a hard time justifying $50 more for the new style housing. You have to deal with the simple dimple for a screen, and a narrower than average bowl, but otherwise, it's a really good performer and a good deal via eBay.

max,
I didn't say it was conduction, it's a hybrid vape as far as I'm concerned. The tubes, when pulled are obviously hot as shit, and are causing the material inside the tube to continue to release resins and vapor. You have to allow the glass tube 5-15 seconds rest to get up to temperature before you start inhaling, or you would get nothing, and while the cold glass is acting as a heat sync to the hot air at this point, I think there is undoubtedly a conduction, contact-heated method to how this vape works, in addition to convection.

Conduction isn't such a dirty word. Some forum members would sever a finger before giving up their MFLBs, and that's just a simple screen heated between stainless steel posts, supposedly with some "radiant" vaporization as well.

I have mixed feelings about my vapolution, on one hand effective and on the other a little crude: it's a seems a very 1960's, stoner dorm room method to making a vape to me.

charliedontsurf,

max

Out to lunch
charliedontsurf said:
I didn't say it was conduction, it's a hybrid vape as far as I'm concerned. The tubes, when pulled are obviously hot as shit, and are causing the material inside the tube to continue to release resins and vapor. You have to allow the glass tube 5-15 seconds rest to get up to temperature before you start inhaling, or you would get nothing, and while the cold glass is acting as a heat sync to the hot air at this point, I think there is undoubtedly a conduction, contact-heated method to how this vape works, in addition to convection.

Conduction isn't such a dirty word. Some forum members would sever a finger before giving up their MFLBs, and that's just a simple screen heated between stainless steel posts, supposedly with some "radiant" vaporization as well.

I have mixed feelings about my vapolution, on one hand effective and on the other a little crude: it's a seems a very 1960's, stoner dorm room method to making a vape to me.

Basically it's just a conduction vaporizer with likely some small convection characteristics, and works very much like a crude light-bulb style concept.
I've been a Vapo owner for going on 5 years now. I'm quite familiar with the design. The only conduction involves the bowl being inside the heating chamber, which just means the glass gets hotter than the average whip vape. If you leave the bowl inside the chamber long enough to get heat from conduction, you'll usually overcook the bowl contents. Since you can set the temp where you want, you can get hits as soon as you insert the bowl, just like with any convection vape. You do have to allow about 5 min. for the vape to reach vaping temp, but you can get hits the instant you insert the bowl, assuming the temp dial is set high enough.

The bowl doesn't act as a heat sink any more than a wand on the typical box vape. You don't need to preheat the bowl by letting it sit in the chamber, and leaving it there between hits will increase the temp, sometimes more than you'd like. It's best used by removing the bowl between hits-makes it much easier to maintain a constant temp.

The design is no more crude than any convection vape-you draw heated air through the bowl. The air comes in through the top, just as it does with the top loading log vapes. Light bulb vapes are considered conduction because you're placing herb on/in glass and then heating the bulb with a lighter. Using a halogen light bulb for vaping however, as with the Aromed and defunct Vapor Light, is not conduction. They just use the bulb to provide heat. With the Vapo, although there's ambiant heat in the chamber that qualifies as conduction, most of the heat comes from the hot air being drawn through the bowl. Any time you can connect a bowl and start getting vapor as soon as you draw, the heating method is mostly convection.

Although this model takes care during use to prevent overcooking, the heating element is outside the chamber, and using the AIW bowl, there's nothing but glass in the path. It doesn't get much cleaner than this. I prefer the log type vape, for easier use, but if you're a glass fan this model is a good performer and a great buy.

spentskeeper

I spoke to a gentlemen at vapolution and he told me the problem with mica getting in the temp control has been fixed in the new model.

spentskeeper,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
Vapolution 2011

Is it just me or is this product new to the market? I usually hear about new vapes, but it's possible this slipped over my head, in the past I had heard pretty good things about the vapolution, but the appearance was not my style, it seems theres a new model, anyone hear seen or used it?

Modnote: Thread merged.

PhishCactus,
It's just a 2.0 of the old on, supposedly fixing the problem with the mica insulation annihilating the temp knob. It's still too expensive for what it does IMO, money would be better spent on the Q, dbv or herbalaire if you want that kind of unit.

charliedontsurf,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom