vaping using vap cotton

seedy53

Cellucotton for EU residents.

seedy53,

sedentree

Me neither lol
I dunno the difference between the different numbers (3193, 3343, 3504, 3514 ....)
As seen in the etsy listing pics^ and here ..
My best guess is that it relates to fibre thickness and the material the cellulose was extracted from but I'm struggling to find an explanation online.
Just noticed the minimum order is 9 items 😭

sedentree,
Reactions: seedy53

General Disaster

A Country Member
As this is pretty new it seems (with cannabis vaping), there's not a lot of info around on this, but it seems the nicotine vapers have been using for a while and much more familiar, maybe trying some of those forums and sites may also give some suitable examples of 'clean' wadding suitable for heating and vaping off?

If push came to shove about ensuring what you use is clean, if you're going to try it regardless, maybe have a go with nothing in it, a dry run with heat, and then see how it looks afterwards. If any dark spots and ugly looking patches, they could be from the degradation of additives. Not a brilliant test, but little to lose by trying; but if it comes out looking only smoothly and consistently browned, that isn't a guarantee there's nothing nasty in it, but does indicate that's less likely. If it shows inconsistent browning with dark patches etc. that means contamination of some sort is more likely, but again not definite (uneven packing and heating could cause some similar markings).

From a quick google, it's also clear that it can be made using some really rather nasty chemicals, so you are best advised to make sure it's washed/cleaned in some way - prepared for safe use on the body. It could be that if it is for fabric use or some other none biological related use, it may still contain contamination of some sort, or even have other chemicals added to change properties.

[Edit]
Well for those in UK, I just received 1m of CelluCotton, and a 2g pack of Kendo vape cotton from Creme de Vape, ordered Sunday, so couldn't have come faster. And that's under £7 inc. £2.50 postage & vat.

And in addition, they needlessly include some nicely printed safety info on using lithium batteries and nicotine (as general comments being a nicotine vape site), generally nice presentation for a piddling little order like this (the two packets of wadding were wrapped in tissue nicely!). The Kendo cotton is clearly marked as being specifically for vapes (wrapped in coils as a wick) and stated as unbleached, unprocessed, etc. So specially made to be used in a vape of some sort, so probably as safe a material as anything. And I though well priced anyway. Would recommend taking a look at least. the rayon looks like the correct grade - cellucotton 100% rayon. Creme de Vapes own label so again, I think specifically sourced as suitable for vapes.

If you never see another post from me after today, then maybe be more cautious before using! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

General Disaster

A Country Member
Ok, if it's of any interest, just tried the CelluCotton (rayon) in a Thermal Accumulator using the fold-over and wipe technique on a dab of Blue Cheese wax. Didn't use a lot, just a small matchhead sized blob. Used a nichrome microspatula, a flat small spatula about 3 or 4mm wide and just folded the piece of rayon over it sandwiching in the middle and wiped it off the spatula tip. The spatula wasn't even sticky, almost totally transferred very cleanly leaving it nicely wrapped in the rayon. Gently fitted it into the bowl and tamped down to no higher than the bowl wall. Wax still nicely contained, no smearing, no leakage.

Screwed the ball head on, and heated as usual. I think I very slightly under did the temp, but it still worked very nicely indeed. It took more draws than expected, maybe 4 or 5 (the TA has plenty heat capacity not to need reheating). The vapour was thinner than with herb (again, the temp may well be the thing here), and at first as I finished it, I was a little disappointed, but over the next few minutes it really crept up on me an I found I was really rather zonked! More than expected, and more than if I'd smoked the wax in a small spliff. Very nice, effects are better than if I'd dabbed it (for me, at least). Feels slightly more full-profile than when it's heated more in a spliff or dab rig.

The rayon was very slightly browned, but only slightly, almost no darker patches, pretty consistent. No traces of anything in it or in the bowl, I doubt much if any wax remained. It was slightly smaller afterwards, and I think the wax melts and soaks into the whole wad and on drawing air through it compacts it slightly as the resistance increases with the wax melting. Nothing of concern, just mentioning.

So far so good, it seems.

[Edit]
Just to add that I think the type of concentrate may well have a fair difference as to how it vapes, and those with less processing (winterisation etc) may leave slightly more deposits from the non active compounds still in the concentrate. So some may get results a little dirtier in the rayon, but I'd say that's not necessarily a concern unless unduly excessive, or you know the concentrate is especially processed and should have most impurities removed (then it could be scorching degrading some of the terpenoids).

[Take Two]
Second attempt - same set up as before, but heated for longer. This time got two stronger draws (I'm going DTL, BTW), big vapour this time.
Same delay of onset. Feels possibly a bit more soporific (pinch of salt, not too good at telling always). The rayon is this time a little darker brown (but still fairly light) mostly where the concentrate was, though a little more spread. So this is, I think, more equivalent to a dark roast with herb. Obviously slight degradation of compounds causing the darker stains, but nothing to write home about. I don't think I'd want to take it hotter though, those two draws were very smooth and cool, though just a slight edge of taste from the degraded terps.
All in all, excellent, and maybe the best way I've tried with concentrate for a long while. Also very clean in terms of the bowl etc. and would also be a great way to pre-pack it for travelling, with a sneaky hit somewhere, little suspicious evidence to hide, quick and clean to empty after. Could even prepare a few wads to just chuck in there real fast and easy! (for us whom are still evil criminals sneaking about, in need of punishment for our attempts to destroy society with our habits! Funny how repealing a law makes people good not bad anymore? 😏).

Bloody 'ell! Yes, definitely more soporific!

Last edited:

pretty-chill

I use cotton a lot too, mainly with my 18 mm quartz cap for traditional hash but I also use a tiny bit of the cotton as a screen on the quartz cap with flower. I definitely prefer using the cotton rather than a mesh screen in the quartz cap, it tastes better to me and when you pull the cotton out it wipes up any potential residue on the sides of the quartz cap. I bought two bags of cotton to try out that apparently are used in the coils of nicotine e-liquid vapes. One is from the brand 'Puff' and the other one from a brand called Muji Rushi. The one from puff looks a little bit less refined, but they both are pretty similar. I think I slightly prefer the Muji Rushi though.

I lay out a small piece of cotton and stretch it out a bit so it has a lot of surface area, and then I lay small pieces of hash all over it to increase the surface area. Then I roll up the piece of cotton and load it in the quartz cap. I've been searching for a while for a really solid method for vaping traditional hash, and for me this has been the best method so far. 0.15 grams of good quality morrocan hash produces lots of really tasty vapor, and I feel like I'm finally tasting all of the nice nuances in those hashes now.

I've also tried the cotton in a dynavap and a lotus. Works well in both of those too. With the dynavap, I use a similar technique as with the quartz cap, but I roll the cotton and little chunks of hash into more of a ball. I recently realised that I could roll up a bunch of these balls in advance, thereby creating little cotton "dosing capsules" full of hash.

The cotton never really changes colour, and I accidentally combusted a few pieces of hash once that were wrapped in cotton, but the cotton didn't combust at all or change colour much even.

I definitely want to try rayon next. I tried some really coarse degummed hemp fiber before I got the cotton and I think it was better in terms of flavour but not that easy to work with.

In terms of safety, that's a bit hard to say. Since cotton is used a lot in nicotine vapes, there is a bit of research on what kind of emissions it gives off but nothing concrete on potential health effects. Cotton is basically mostly cellulose, which I don't really see causing any issues. The only thing I can think of, is potential impurities and contaminants in cotton from manufacturing. For example, small residues of industrial oils from the machinery producing the cotton.

General Disaster

A Country Member
Ha! Some of that sounds like you've had similar thoughts about this. How do you break up the hash? That's the main issue I've had with vaping hash. Depends on the type and state of it, and some are just not very good at getting into small granules. Was just curious of you'd found any good techniques?

The only thing I can think of, is potential impurities and contaminants in cotton from manufacturing.
I don't know for definite, but I believe the products especially intended for use in vapes are meant to be cleaned of contaminants.
You're quite right about the cellulose part. Cellulose is pretty safe as long as it doesn't get combusted, and that takes pretty high temps. The basic base material of cannabis flower is cellulose, cellulose itself is a safe as we could hope for.

Of course, re-using dirty cellulose may not be so safe. And buying from untrusted suppliers may lead to products marked as safe but not actually what they say on the tin. I'd judge it's worth paying a little over the odd's to be sure as possible about that, and have a formal statement it's fit for intended use. It should be remembered that rayon, for example, is sometimes made using some bloody awful chemicals, and this sort of stock may be intended for furniture stuffing or some such use, and some less than scrupulous turds may sell it as being good for other uses as the profits higher. But then again, if someone smokes, then this'd probably be little worse!

At least as you say, we have the advantage that nicotine vapers have been using it for a good while now (and apparently they live up to at least 35 years old! So it must be safe! 😂).

Last edited:
General Disaster,
Reactions: seedy53

pretty-chill

Haha definitely sounds like we have had similar thoughts about this! A lot of my thinking was actually inspired by some of the experiments @Dan Morrison was doing with hash and Japanese washi paper a few years ago. Here is the thread. That worked really well at the time, but I didn't have access to much dry sift hash at the time, so I never ended up experimenting all too much. Nowadays I have really great access to dry sift hash, so I've been experimenting a lot with the best methods to use it. The washi paper method worked alright, but was giving pretty wispy vapor. Then I came across a sneaky pete video where he was just vaping little balls of dry sift in a Dynavap M+ with an armored cap, and it looked like he was getting a lot of vapor. So, I got that same setup and was a little disappointed. I was getting huge clouds of vapor too, but it really didn't taste so nice. With a bit less heat it worked ok, but I still felt that I wasn't getting the most out of my hash.

Next, I got a lotus and was plopping a piece of hash on the concentrate pad. That worked much better, the flavor was there now and I was getting decent vapor too but I definitely had to work for it. However, I would open up the lotus during the session and would see that the ball was almost seizing up, the outside was starting to get close to charred, and vapor production dropped a lot, but I had a feeling there was more left in the center. So I started breaking the ball up and indeed there was lots of fresh hash still in the middle and it started to produce lots of vapor again after breaking it up. After only a handful of sessions though, the concentrate pad got filthy and I realised that wouldn't be a great way of going about it in the long run. Then one day, I stumbled upon some "vape wool" from a brand called black leaf in a store, which was actually really coarse degummed hemp fibers. I made a little patty of it to use as a sort of concentrate pad in the lotus and that worked really well and the cleaning was easy. It was also easier to break up the hash into the little grooves of the hemp fiber during the session, which each time kicked up vapor production and taste a lot. I then realized I should probably just wrap some hash in the hemp fiber and squish it around to increase the surface area. It would still congeal back up into one seized up mass though. So I figured the best way to approach it was to increase the surface area as much as possible, and go with little chunks of hash that couldn't fuze together. That started to work really well, but then I ran out of the degummed hemp fiber and realised it was pretty expensive.

Then I did some research on cotton, found the ones people liked using for wicks and that's when I really started having success! Here are some pictures of how I prepared 0.2 grams of hash on a strip of muji rushi cotton:

I was vaping some very nice Morrocan hash made from their landrace beldia strain, and the first hit tasted like how I imagine those high mountain areas of Morroco must smell when there are thousands of beldia plants reaching maturation. Very nice strong mint flavor, that I'm experiencing now in a way that I've never experienced before. Huge clouds of vapor too with great effects. This method works in my lotus, dynavap, and dynavap with the rogue wax works quartz cap really well too. However, the 18 mm quartz cap is currently undefeated. I'm liking hash so much now, that I sometimes do full hash days now. I used to only go for hash once in a while because it was always a pain to vape, and never all that satisfying, but this method in the quartz cap is showing me a whole side of traditional dry sift that I didn't know existed! The vaped beldia makes me super productive, and as you can tell by this wall of text, also incredibly chatty haha. I can see why they like the beldia strain high up in the mountains, gives you lots of stamina! I can now even taste very distinct difference between different regions. Hash from the tidghine mountains in Morroco seems to have a distinct eucalyptus taste for example, instead of the sweeter mint of the beldia I always get. That taste difference I never really noticed before dialing in this method!

sedentree

Haha definitely sounds like we have had similar thoughts about this! A lot of my thinking was actually inspired by some of the experiments @Dan Morrison was doing with hash and Japanese washi paper a few years ago. Here is the thread. That worked really well at the time, but I didn't have access to much dry sift hash at the time, so I never ended up experimenting all too much. Nowadays I have really great access to dry sift hash, so I've been experimenting a lot with the best methods to use it. The washi paper method worked alright, but was giving pretty wispy vapor. Then I came across a sneaky pete video where he was just vaping little balls of dry sift in a Dynavap M+ with an armored cap, and it looked like he was getting a lot of vapor. So, I got that same setup and was a little disappointed. I was getting huge clouds of vapor too, but it really didn't taste so nice. With a bit less heat it worked ok, but I still felt that I wasn't getting the most out of my hash.

Next, I got a lotus and was plopping a piece of hash on the concentrate pad. That worked much better, the flavor was there now and I was getting decent vapor too but I definitely had to work for it. However, I would open up the lotus during the session and would see that the ball was almost seizing up, the outside was starting to get close to charred, and vapor production dropped a lot, but I had a feeling there was more left in the center. So I started breaking the ball up and indeed there was lots of fresh hash still in the middle and it started to produce lots of vapor again after breaking it up. After only a handful of sessions though, the concentrate pad got filthy and I realised that wouldn't be a great way of going about it in the long run. Then one day, I stumbled upon some "vape wool" from a brand called black leaf in a store, which was actually really coarse degummed hemp fibers. I made a little patty of it to use as a sort of concentrate pad in the lotus and that worked really well and the cleaning was easy. It was also easier to break up the hash into the little grooves of the hemp fiber during the session, which each time kicked up vapor production and taste a lot. I then realized I should probably just wrap some hash in the hemp fiber and squish it around to increase the surface area. It would still congeal back up into one seized up mass though. So I figured the best way to approach it was to increase the surface area as much as possible, and go with little chunks of hash that couldn't fuze together. That started to work really well, but then I ran out of the degummed hemp fiber and realised it was pretty expensive.

Then I did some research on cotton, found the ones people liked using for wicks and that's when I really started having success! Here are some pictures of how I prepared 0.2 grams of hash on a strip of muji rushi cotton:

I was vaping some very nice Morrocan hash made from their landrace beldia strain, and the first hit tasted like how I imagine those high mountain areas of Morroco must smell when there are thousands of beldia plants reaching maturation. Very nice strong mint flavor, that I'm experiencing now in a way that I've never experienced before. Huge clouds of vapor too with great effects. This method works in my lotus, dynavap, and dynavap with the rogue wax works quartz cap really well too. However, the 18 mm quartz cap is currently undefeated. I'm liking hash so much now, that I sometimes do full hash days now. I used to only go for hash once in a while because it was always a pain to vape, and never all that satisfying, but this method in the quartz cap is showing me a whole side of traditional dry sift that I didn't know existed! The vaped beldia makes me super productive, and as you can tell by this wall of text, also incredibly chatty haha. I can see why they like the beldia strain high up in the mountains, gives you lots of stamina! I can now even taste very distinct difference between different regions. Hash from the tidghine mountains in Morroco seems to have a distinct eucalyptus taste for example, instead of the sweeter mint of the beldia I always get. That taste difference I never really noticed before dialing in this method!

Do you mean this stuff?

sedentree,

pretty-chill

The muji rushi I have looks much whiter. This is the packaging for it:

619JsJojPIL._AC_SX679_.jpg

The other brand I got, the 'puff' cotton, looks more like the one you linked.

pretty-chill,
Reactions: sedentree
Top Bottom