• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Vaping and pain relief

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I haven't felt much like talking about it but on Monday I was in a pretty serious motorcycle accident. It was a hit and run where I was turning left into a driveway and a guy came up behind me trying to pass a bunch of cars in a no pass zone and he took me out from behind. I sustained a compound fracture of my left tibia and fibula. They flew me by helicopter to the closest decent hospital and got to work on me. I've always been into metal but now it's in me for real. Haha

At any rate in the hospital I was on a dilaudid drip where I had a button I could push every ten minutes. It was funny the next morning the nurse told me I had only missed two opportunities to press the button. I was on point with that thing let me tell you. By the next day I told them I wanted off it and they switched me to Percocet tablets. I got released on Wednesday and on Thursday at 6:00 pm I took my last tablet and had my wife take them away.

Which brings me to the point of my post. On Friday morning I went from typical stoner to medical marijuana patient. (Not legally). I'm only allowing myself some Advil for swelling and the maryjane to help me deal with the remaing pain and discomfort. So far things are going pretty good but there are highs and lows. I will use this thread to chronicle how herb helps me through recovery. My device of choice is the cloud and even though I've never been allowed to use it in the house my wife set it up in our bedroom for me. (She's a keeper). I also have the solo for medication when I'm on the move. I got this cool "krutch kaddy" that attaches to a crutch and allows me to carry along such important things. :D

That's all I've got for now.

-muzzman

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, even though it's not a happy story. I wish you a swift recovery and welcome to the wonderful world of Medicinal Cannabis :D

Vaporisateur,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
So sorry to hear about your accident but it sure seems like you've got a great attitude which will help immensely with your healing. And congratulations on the way you handled the pain meds. Shows a lot of will power.

I'll be interested in your findings regarding vaping/mj/pain. I find that it doesn't make the pain go away as much as lessen it, but it really makes me think about other things and that makes the pain more bearable.

Hope you mend quickly.

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Hey E, sorry to hear about your accident man. I got some metal myself from a car accident about 8 years ago, where I was helicopter lifted to a hospital, had a rod put in my femur some pins to hold my ankle together and tube to inflate one of my lungs again. I know that breaking legs and adding hardware is no fun bro I feel your pain and I wish you a quick recovery.

My experience has been similar to Mom's in that it usually doesn't take most of the pain away like opiates do when they dull receptors. It makes it easier to forget the pain is there and is SO much easier on your system then all the morphine and hydrocodone they used to pump me full of making me dependent and giving me all kinds of nasty side effects. So congrats on getting rid of those right off the bat and saving yourself a headache down the road IME.

Good luck

Puffers,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
After 5 years on morphine sulfate I finally failed. It was that or my marriage, and my life. Opiates are great for numbing pain, cannabis disrupts pain signals. Even though I don't use opiates daily any more, they still have a place for temporary pain, like yours or dental, and end-of-life scenarios. The two work together well I find, with a small dose of opiate to numb, and the cannabis to disrupt the remaining pain signals and neuropathic pain. Personally, I just had some very painful dental surgery. The Hydrocodone, combined with cannabis, had an amazing effect with only 1 pill. And it wasn't just the effect, but also how it was localized with my pain, an incredible experience really. There are recent studies that show cannabis and opiates potentiate each other.
Cannabis as an adjunct to or substitute for opiates in the treatment of chronic pain.
Lucas P.
Source
Research Affiliate, Centre for Addictions Research of BC, Victoria, BC, Canada. plucasyyj@gmail.com
Abstract
There is a growing body of evidence to support the use of medical cannabis as an adjunct to or substitute for prescription opiates in the treatment of chronic pain. When used in conjunction with opiates, cannabinoids lead to a greater cumulative relief of pain, resulting in a reduction in the use of opiates (and associated side-effects) by patients in a clinical setting. Additionally, cannabinoids can prevent the development of tolerance to and withdrawal from opiates, and can even rekindle opiate analgesia after a prior dosage has become ineffective. Novel research suggests that cannabis may be useful in the treatment of problematic substance use. These findings suggest that increasing safe access to medical cannabis may reduce the personal and social harms associated with addiction, particularly in relation to the growing problematic use of pharmaceutical opiates. Despite a lack of regulatory oversight by federal governments in North America, community-based medical cannabis dispensaries have proven successful at supplying patients with a safe source of cannabis within an environment conducive to healing, and may be reducing the problematic use of pharmaceutical opiates and other potentially harmful substances in their communities.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22880540

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I'm really sorry you are having to deal with this. Good job getting off the pain killer's quickly. Not a lot of people can do that. I also use MJ for pain relief. It does not take all the pain away, but it does help a lot. I have a lot of inflammation due to Rheumatoid Disease, and MJ helps that a lot. I had to get off the RX pain killers. They were taking over my life.

I hope you heal quickly!

Vicki,
Reactions: TriiKLe

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS!!!!!

Without going into detail, I have tons of orthopedic issues that cause me great pain. I have been able to decrease my Hydrocodone usage significantly since using medicinal grade mj. I can use 1/2 instead of a whole pill on a bad day to ease the sharpness of the pain, then keep it at bay with the use of vaping. There was a time where it would take two pills.

Edit: Oops... Vicki, you snuck in before me. :D I was referring to t-dubs post with my arrows. But yours fits too.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I have been able to decrease my Hydrocodone usage significantly since using medicinal grade mj. I can use 1/2 instead of a whole pill on a bad day to ease the sharpness of the pain, then keep it at bay with the use of vaping. There was a time where it would take two pills.

That is exactly how it has been for me. I always take 1/2 a tab now, and use medical grade MJ to help the rest of the pain. I have found that combining the two really helps pain a lot. I also take Tramadol 3-4 times daily.

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I did notice when I first got home that when I took a few tokes it made the Percocet kick in like crazy. But I've had a history of drug abuse (meth and coke) back in the 90s and I don't went to test myself.

The pain comes and goes in waves but is acceptable. I drank a few beers last night and the pain went away completely but that's another slippery slope...

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I did notice when I first got home that when I took a few tokes it made the Percocet kick in like crazy.
If you try it again, try to be really calm, listen to your pain, and try to see if you are doing way more with less, which pain is which, and to see if the effect is localizing itself as well. I was honestly, absolutely surprised with the results and for someone with addiction concerns it really went well since the opiate dose was so low. I find the cannabis "disruptions" favorable to the opiate "ice numbness" and find for daily use opiates are not necessary, for now.

satyrday

I find pain on cannabis to be like having a devil sitting next to you on the couch being relatively good and watching some tv. He's still there, he's still ugly, but he's much more chill than usual - just enjoying a little downtime too ... hanging out. He might even crack a few jokes and be an alright dude for awhile. Of course some devils can't be pacified so easily. The jokes aren't flowing and you need to blot him out with the hard stuff.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I find pain on cannabis to be like having a devil sitting next to you on the couch being relatively good and watching some tv. He's still there, he's still ugly, but he's much more chill than usual - just enjoying a little downtime too ... hanging out. He might even crack a few jokes and be an alright dude for awhile. Of course some devils can't be pacified so easily. The jokes aren't flowing and you need to blot him out with the hard stuff.
I really love this because I "objectified" my pain sooo long ago. At first you ignore it. Then it starts speaking to you. You start to speak back. You realize after a few months that talking to your pain is not "normal". You begin to bargain with it, plead with it. It mocks you steadily, constantly, laughing at you. Eventually, you begin to beg, wishing for release. After that, its either the gun in the nightstand or you find a way, somehow. Cannabis is essential to my morale as well as all the medical and pain shit . . . its fucking fun and I NEED that at this point . . . :peace:

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist

I really love this because I "objectified" my pain sooo long ago. At first you ignore it. Then it starts speaking to you. You start to speak back. You realize after a few months that talking to your pain is not "normal". You begin to bargain with it, plead with it. It mocks you steadily, constantly, laughing at you. Eventually, you begin to beg, wishing for release. After that, its either the gun in the nightstand or you find a way, somehow. Cannabis is essential to my morale as well as all the medical and pain shit . . . its fucking fun and I NEED that at this point . . . :peace:

Those are both excellent analogies. That is how it is for me on a daily basis.

Vicki,
Reactions: t-dub

elmomuzz

That just happened...
The pain finally caught up to me over the last 24 hours or so. I gave in and had to take a percosec tab this morning. i pondered over it for a while and finally swallowed my pride and took one. Before I was at least getting around a little and doing a bit of physical therapy. I had been reduced to just trying to accept each passing moment and felt like my recovery was moving backwards. (I'm on day 6 post accident/surgery)

The pill helped pretty well and i'm now resting comfortably. I guess I need to use them as a tool to help me recover. My wife did get into my stash this morning and brought out a more potent strain that I think has more analagesic effects then what she initially got for me. I am now hoping that by mixing the two drugs I can keep my opiate use to a minimum while maintaing an acceptable level of pain.

I've never been hurt like this before and I don't think I'm quite cut out for it. lol

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Elmomuzz , I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. I too use herb for pain , As others have said it does not block the pain like opiates do [ at least when you first start taking them ] but makes it much more bareable , its still there but I can ignore alot of it. I had a medtronic pump implanted in my side pumping morphine 24/7 for 13 years by the end of that time I was always in pain and very useless as a human being . Since getting off all RX pain meds life has gotten much better . For me a couple of High temp vape sessions throughout the day is the answer for me . I've also found my body dosn't Know the differance of being medically dependent or Addicted so kudos for Xin' the meds so quicklly , with any history of substance abuse its best to stay away from them if you can IMHO .
Peace and good luck to Ya .

OO

Technical Skeptical
Don't be afraid to break tabs into smaller pieces, not only will it make them last longer, but you can ween yourself off it by using lower doses/ only what you need.

Sooner or later, toughing it out will become the best, albeit a miserable at first option. The misery is worth it only as long as you keep yourself from relapsing.

Good luck, there's certain punishments that should be reserved for the type of people who did this to you.

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
muzzman, first and foremost it's a good day to be alive. As a fellow biker, I feel your pain. I've been down in the street on 2 occasions in 30 years and lost a few friends as well. With the rise of cellphone usage/texting, accidents and biker deaths are on the rise. :disgust: I'm sure you will find the medium when determined to rely predominantly on cannabis. Rest and relaxation is key right now as your body is still in shock. :leaf:

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I make edibles for extra painful days. More sedative and a narcotic like pain relief.

I have to be really careful with the edibles. They can really knock me on my ass! I always tend to under dose because you can't "un-eat" an edible once it's done. Well, I suppose you could, but no one really wants to do that. It's harder for me to control the dosing than it is with vaporizing. I have to maintain a certain level of sobriety, and I can do that easier when I vaporize.

That being said, if I get the right dose, edibles can really help my pain.

OO

Technical Skeptical
This is why I'm glad to have the little extra bit of metal around me, got hit again today.

I'm thinking of changing my signature back to "Another day, another near death experience on San Diego roads."

I don't know why our state insists on giving everyone licenses when so few are actually capable drivers.
:shrug: :doh: :ugh::argh:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Hey I hope the day goes well for you . Just remember there's no shame or lossing face in your situation if you need to take a pill for comfort , You do have a valid reason to take them. your physical recovery will be faster If your not in pain . soon enough you'll be up on your feet and out on the bike Again .
Peace !

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I'm glad you said that RUDEBOY.

One thing I have learned in all of my injuries, surgeries, etc., is to stay "ahead" of the pain. Once pain has set in, it is much harder to get rid of. Try 1/2 of a pill if you feel some need and see if that, with vaping, helps take the edge off. If not, take the other half. It's important that you feel comfortable for healing and any therapies they may have for you.

I really feel that with your current attitude towards your previous problems with substances that you will be okay with this. You seem to have a firm grasp on what could be a problem for you. I think you will find that with your awareness of your past, you will stop yourself before this becomes a problem.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
your physical recovery will be faster If your not in pain
One thing I have learned in all of my injuries, surgeries, etc., is to stay "ahead" of the pain. Once pain has set in, it is much harder to get rid of. Try 1/2 of a pill if you feel some need and see if that, with vaping, helps take the edge off. If not, take the other half. It's important that you feel comfortable for healing and any therapies they may have for you.
^^^ These 2 ^^^ You must quiet your pain, so that you can rest, and that energy can go to healing your body. Heed mom's advice on dosing, be still and listen to your pain, treat it accordingly, and rest well.

Top Bottom