Vape Carts Health Crisis Megathread

Tranquility

I'm not sure if it is news or publicity agent battlespace preparation for an illegal termination lawsuit. I read the article and was astonished a serious company would allow such contamination in its product. Then, I realized I didn't know what the "contamination" was so re-read the article and still don't know.

What is the "news" here? That a guy who was fired says the person who fired him said things that makes the company look bad?

The article was filled with supposition and conclusory statements of fact with nothing to back them up. Thanks to @hafalump for bringing it up. Maybe the claims will be found to be true and relevant someday. But, I have no idea if that will be the case based on the article.

hafalump

Yeah the article was a bit he said, but the guy could have been let go when he called them out.
They never say what the contamination was...........

Tranquility

I don't have a cite as I heard him speaking on the radio, but, Trump said there's a big report coming out next week on vaping. Many recommendations and findings. While the answer seemed to focus on ecigs, you never know where things will go.

Tranquility,

Kimosabe

Educator/Cannabis Evangelist
"As cases of vaping-related illnesses reach 2,051, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has announced a “breakthrough” in the search for a cause — the first identified toxicant: vitamin E acetate."

On Nov. 5 - The CDC released the following M&M report::

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html#what-we-know

On Nov. 8 - The Washing Post published this article
https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...it-found-vaping-related-lung-injuries-deaths/

Never the less, histological samples run by recognized teaching hospital university labs report this disease is consistent with Cadmium Pneumonitis. Silver solder from China has this element and is used in the cheap pens.

I have reached out to a number of manufacturers and the ONLY one reporting back was Vessel.
Their info:
Thank you for your message.

We are using stannum base solder on welds, which is cadmium free. Since our device is button activated and air intake hole is on the body module instead of end cap, the welding parts should have no influence on health. No air would enter from the end cap and brings any hazardous substances into consumers lungs.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Kind regards,
Vessel Support

Vessel is expensive, but coupons are out there from Leafly and elsewhere, they are known to be stackable and Black Friday is around the corner.

Disclaimer: I am a registered medical cannabis user. I have no relationship to Vessel, own no stock or other interest in this company. I do own a Vessel battery, as well as Yocann, Lynx, MIG, etc.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Paper Tigers - There was a time that I would not believe this could happened in the USA. WTF :mental:

TommyDee,

Kimosabe

Educator/Cannabis Evangelist
When desirables are made illegal or too damned expensive, the opportunity for fraud exists.
Wasn't there some young dude manufacturing 50,000 carts a day and was he not using E-acetate thickener?
At that rate of production, could not this guy be the 'Typhoid Mary' of lipoid oneumonitis (if that is the culptit from oils not metal fumes,

Anyone who has vaped a black market cart in recent days or weeks and subsequently developed shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea, weakness, and tiredness should see a physician. Bring the cart.

-I say bring the pen too, and demand it be sent through the gas chromatograph. Chances are you will see significant Cadmium peaks, I say.

The Leafly article is good, but devoid of references. Truth that cannot be verified is a half-truth.
Just because the President says it does not make it legal - ask Richard Nixon or David Cavet!

Kimosabe,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
What I didn't get is what changed in Honey Oil between founding in '18 and when shit hit the fan in Aug'19.

TommyDee,

darbarikanada

What I didn't get is what changed in Honey Oil between founding in '18 and when shit hit the fan in Aug'19.

hopefully, testing will shed more light on this, but one possible explanation would be that in the quick uptick in demand, honey cut's supplier(s) got sloppy - there might've been a production run that got tainted.

darbarikanada,
Reactions: TommyDee

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
-I say bring the pen too, and demand it be sent through the gas chromatograph. Chances are you will see significant Cadmium peaks, I say.

While cadmium is not healthy, I think exposure to it will mostly be followed by long term symptoms¹, while the cases being discussed here are most likely caused by a relatively short term usage of a harmfully cut product. Lipid pneumonia is caused by lipids / fat, such as vitamin e acetate.

¹https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/181/2/127/2739253

Last edited:
Siebter,

hafalump

Massachusetts has banned the sale of all vapes, flower vapes too. Like pax etc......

hafalump,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Planck

believes in Dog
the 17-year-old boy’s case looks more like “popcorn lung,” an injury once seen in factory workers who breathed in a chemical used to create a butter flavor.

diacetyl is the chemical responsible for popcorn lung. It is present is some e-juice but it is present in cigs at a much higher level (200x from memory). He was vaping THC also according to this report.
https://www.livescience.com/vaping-popcorn-lung.html
"A teen in Canada may be the first person to develop "popcorn lung" due to vaping"

Diacetyl is old news among informed e-cig vapers. Many companies removed it from their formulations when concerns were raised. After assessing the risks many vapers concluded it is not a risk and continue to vape juice with diacetyl.

Top Bottom