Value for $$

Status
Not open for further replies.

crumply

I bought a $50 box and whip vaporizer from amazon. I like it. I set it to 360, then down to 355 after a couple of draws. I get a very nice smoke free vapor with golden brown buds left over. It's been 100% consistent.

The posters on this board apparently do not like the $50 Chinese vapes. I understand not liking them for moral reasons (they knock off somebody else's design). But, does anybody think I would get a better high if I spent $200 on a more expensive vape? The physical principle in the vaping process seems pretty simple -- get your heating element to a consistent temperature and your herb a consistent distance from the heat. My Chinese vape does that fine. I am not worried about lead paint (my vape is not painted). And even if I was worried, the components in the more expensive vapes are manufactured in China anyway, correct?

I am not a dick, and I do not want to step on anybody's toes, but to me, spending hundreds of dollars on a vaporizer is the same as spending hundreds of dollars on stereo speaker wires or other audiophile components -- pointless. Am I mistaken? What could I expect to improve if I coughed up money to buy a more expensive vape?

crumply,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I think a lot of it is peace of mind really. Could be sub standard electrical components, lead solder etc, and these being in the air path of polluting your vapor.

In principle vaping is pretty simple like you say and even these cheaply produced things can be capable, sometimes, of doing it effectively. Seems you're happy with performance, so fair enough, happy days. I don't believe you will get any more high by spending more money.

You'll have to decide for yourself as well on how safe you think your air path is (I'm not suggesting it's guaranteed to be bad by any means)

WatTyler,

crawdad

floatin
you could ask someone who has a more expensive car that gets to point-b from point-a the same as your vehicle what the big deal is, id imagine the response would be similar. bottom line is it will come down to perspective and preference. if you like what you got whats the real question?

yes some vaporizers are better than others in doing what they do as well as some simply fit the usage and personality (glass vs wood, electric vs flame) of the user better than others. vape on if you are doing good with it and dont worry about comparing, unless of course you feel you should compare.

crawdad,

lwien

Reasons NOT to get a cheap Chinese made generic vape.

"Possible" toxic materials used in it's construction.
Not just lead in paint, but lead in solder, toxic materials used in glues, and other materials. These Chinese generic manufacturers do not allow themselves to be held accountable. Try and find a specific address or phone number where they can be reached. These types of manufacturers have proven, with other products as well as vaporizers that they are really not concerned with your health in any way what so ever and will do what ever it takes to build a product as cheaply as they can regardless of how that needs to be accomplished.

Inaccurate and fluctuating temperature controllers and displays.

No warranty service provided.

So, basically, if you are not concerned about possible toxic material in the vapor path, if you are not concerned about inaccurate and fluctuating temperature controllers and displays, and if you are not concerned about possible future warranty service, than I say..............go for it.

lwien,

SD_haze

OP, you can spend $10 less than that and get a Made in the USA Vaporgenie guarenteed to not be toxic and last a long time with proper handling

SD_haze,

max

Out to lunch
spending hundreds of dollars on a vaporizer is the same as spending hundreds of dollars on stereo speaker wires or other audiophile components -- pointless.
It's only pointless if you can't hear the difference, or don't really care about the difference. As a former audiophile (who doesn't care as much these days), I speak from experience. I've convinced many a person that different electronic components can sound different, due to both design and parts quality. You shouldn't make your opinion (and it is only that) out to be fact. It's the same for any hobby where you can spend a little or a lot-different strokes for different folks.

Your cheap box may serve you well for many years. That doesn't mean a more expensive model from a recognized, high quality manufacturer can't offer someone a vaping experience that they'll enjoy more. You not only get peace of mind from knowing the maker has used quality parts, you get a manufacturer that can be contacted, offers a good warranty, and possibly a more enjoyable experience due to dual mode capability (bag fill and whip use), or an all glass vapor path. The ability to taste/smell differences in tubing, for example, is there for some people, but not others.

I am not worried about lead paint
I could list other products that some greedy Chinese companies have adulterated with toxins (other than lead paint) that have killed people (and pets). There are also now shameless ripoffs/copies of good vapes like the Launch Box, iolite, and Extreme, pretending to the be the real thing, down to the model name. Pardon us for refusing to acknowledge and discuss products where the manufacturer chooses to offer no warranty and hide from the public.

And even if I was worried, the components in the more expensive vapes are manufactured in China anyway, correct?
Components, and sometimes the whole package, are manufactured in China (or some other country with cheap labor) for nearly every consumer product on the market-consumer electronics, clothes, household goods-the list is endless. You have to understand that it doesn't matter where something is made. What matters is who makes it. The same cheap labor force can (and does, in some cases) make both crappy and high quality goods. It's up to the company whose name goes on the products to make sure the design, components, and assembly are top rate. It makes economic sense these days for 7th Floor, due to very high demand, to have the Da Buddha vape mostly assembled in China. I've inspected and used both the old US built vape, as well as the one currently built in China. As far as I can tell there's no difference. The electronics and heater are the same tried and true assemblies used in the US built SSV. My high quality digital scale (30 yr. warranty) is made in that company's factory in China. Right now I'm using a high quality computer that's made in China. Again, the list is endless.

What could I expect to improve if I coughed up money to buy a more expensive vape?
Reliability for one thing. A larger than acceptable number of cheapies just don't hold up. And since warranties, if any, are often only offered by the seller (usually 30-60 days), you can end up with no vape and no way to fix it, after a short period. There are a lot of different models on the market these days, with new ones coming out all the time. Some offer features and/or a better vaping experience than you can get with a cheap clone.

If you're happy with what you've got, great. If it holds up, and was built with safe parts, you got yourself a great deal. We won't (I hope) tell you that you were dumb to buy cheap, as long as you don't call us dumb for spending our $ where and for what we choose. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to where disposble income goes.

max,

Carbon

crumply said:
I am not a dick, and I do not want to step on anybody's toes, but to me, spending hundreds of dollars on a vaporizer is the same as spending hundreds of dollars on stereo speaker wires or other audiophile components -- pointless. Am I mistaken? What could I expect to improve if I coughed up money to buy a more expensive vape?
No. Spending more on a vape is more like spending more money on speakers themselves. Spending more will usually net a better product, but not always. Comparing expensive vapes to snake oil audio cables is a bit of a stretch.

Carbon,

crumply

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the replies from folks more experienced than myself.

I understand the safety concerns about Chinese products. I also understand that products manufactured in China have roughly the same unsafe incidence as products manufactured in any other developing country (India, Mexico, etc.). It's the sheer volume of stuff that comes out of China that makes it seem like they pour battery acid and lead over everything before they sell it. I also expect that most of the Made in USA stuff is actually made from Chinese components, and would have more or less the same safety issues -- it's not like the US assemblers check for toxins before assembly.

I have read reference on these boards to "confirmed accounts" of unsafe Chinese vaporizers. I'd be interested in a link if anyone has one.

crumply,

lwien

^^ Here's one : http://www.vaporgenie.com/VaporBuddy/test-results.html

crumply said:
I also expect that most of the Made in USA stuff is actually made from Chinese components, and would have more or less the same safety issues -- it's not like the US assemblers check for toxins before assembly.

As a matter of fact, many do. Many vapes made in the USA are RohS compliant and as such, components are checked for possible toxicity.

Also, one has to check and see how clean the vapor path is. With box type vapes where the air path flows over the heated electronics, this becomes even more of an issue.

crumply said:
I am not a dick, and I do not want to step on anybody's toes, but to me, spending hundreds of dollars on a vaporizer is the same as spending hundreds of dollars on stereo speaker wires or other audiophile components -- pointless. Am I mistaken?

Yes you are mistaken when you lump esoteric speaker wires in with other audiophile components. But lets take it even one step further. Even if one cannot measure it on a scope, the difference between lamp cord zip wire that sells for pennies a foot and 200 dollar a meter speaker wire, who are you to say that it is pointless for someone else to spend that money if they can detect an audible difference, regardless if that difference is just in the realm of psycho-acoustics or below the abilities of measuring instruments to detect. It all comes down to preceived value, and what may not be of value to you may very well be of value to someone else.

Same thing goes with vapes. I would never spend 600 dollars on a Volcano, as an example, but there are those that really enjoy the look and feel of a very well engineered product built to high standards and close tolerances. For them, a 'Cano may very well be worth what they paid for it even if they could get just as high from a 50 dollar VaporGenie.

Bottom line is that while it may be pointless to you, which is totally valid, it may not be pointless for someone else, which is equally as valid.

lwien,

weedemon

enthusiast
I think you will learn that there are different situations that make different styles of vapes better for the job at hand.

so I would put this forward: I have a freind who made a cheap vape out of a glass bottle and a torch lighter. He just heated up the glass until vape came out of the herb and sucked it out by poking in a straw to get at the vapor. this cost him pretty much nothing. he had the torch already and only needed a glass bottle and a drinking straw. It worked I cannot deny that. it did work.

but for me to compare how awkward and potentially dangerous this method(chances to get hurt/burned) was to using a better engineered device to produce vape.

also the thickness of the vape was weak in comparison to a heavy hitter like the SSV. again im talking a couple bucks vs a 190+ dollar vape.

you get what you pay for and personally I would go for a more $ vape on the health and performance principals.

weedemon,

deke

Vapeosaurus
I'll offer my insight...

After experiencing vapor for the first time with a Volcano, I wanted a way to vaporize at home. I bought a Dominizer (www.dominizer.com) in 2008 for $20. Like the poster above who had a friend who made his own, it worked. You weren't (usually) burning the herb, but were toasting it and inhaling vapor. I actually blackened and somewhat melted the glass where the heat is applied. I decided to step it up and go for a box-style vape. A friend has one and they're pretty effective.

So in early 2009, I bought a Kia Vaporizer (http://www.kiavaporizer.com/) for $150. At the time I was living with some buddies in a party house, so durability and portability were very important to me. It seemed like a decent vape, and worked well for close to a year. But around the year mark, it stopped heating to a high enough temperature to vaporize, rendering it useless. I've since seen evidence that the Kia isn't made from the high-quality domestic products it claims.

Aaaanyway, last June or July I found this site, lurked around, did my research, and eventually settled on an Extreme Q. My budget was less than $500, so the price point was perfect. It's versatile, effective, comes with a lifetime warranty, and is actually manufactured an hour away from my home. I could go on and on. At one time I saw a Volcano as the ideal, my dream vape. Now, I don't even want one because I love my EQ so much.

I recently picked up a Magic Flight Launch Box as a portable complement to my EQ. So far, so good.

My point, if there's a point at all, is that I spent increasingly more money on vaporizers until I found one I liked. And by spending more than I might have originally, I've actually found my ideal vaporizer. I wouldn't trade my EQ for a Volcano or a Roor bong or any other high-end product. I've found my perfect device, and I hope to be using it for years to come. Another point in favour of name-brand vapes is the feedback of the community here. You can't find reviews or troubleshooting or help of any kind for a random Chinese vaporizer. When I picked up my MFLB it was overwhelming - something like 450 pages in its thread.

That said, both of my early vaporizers were faulty units. My friend with the cheap box-style vaporizer is still using his, and it's going on five years.

deke,

friedricey

being human
crumply said:
I bought a $50 box and whip vaporizer from amazon. I like it.

Not worth it dude. I bought one too as my first vape but I could still taste and smell some sort of chemical from it even after leaving it on for several hours. After some careful thought, I came to the conclusion that my health was not worth $50 to risk on some cheaply constructed counterfeit product.

I ended up buy the MFLB and tried that out, was a bit disappointed because recharging batteries was such a hassle and I haven't gotten around to buying another replacement batteries. The MFLB does its job but it was missing something.

I then purchased a Purple Days and let me say. Wow. I don't know if it's the temperatures or how it's made but the economy on this log vape is amazing. Save money for a good one, it'll be worth it's weight in gold in the long run.

friedricey,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Considering that one of the important reasons why we vaporize at all is toxicity from inhaling smoke I would have have to say that if toxins in the vapor path are not a concern, why not just smoke? I've tried one of the Chinese boxes once called the "vapor prince." It was no where close to a decent box vape like the Vapor Bros and the Vapor Bros got me much higher as well. Guarantee you that not much thought went into the design of the unit except mimicking with much less expensive materials. Even the whip was the cheapest plastic crap. But yes, I did feel a little something.

Yes, the Vapor Genie is ten dollars less and is a respectable real vaporizer.

That said, I do hear subtle differences in audio cable. Tighter more defined bass, other nuances. It's not make believe but the improvements are very slight as you go up the audiophile ladder. Most important thing is to make sure your speaker cable connections are in phase otherwise your mono records are going to sound like re channeled stereo.

jeffp,

crumply

I guess I am a troll. I figured audiophiles would be attracted to "superior" smoking products. Sorry.

I still don't think there is any health or practical difference between my $50 box and the stuff selling for hundreds.

Anyways, the smell that you guys are complaining about, the one that smells like your kids bath toys? It 's hydrocarbons in the plastic tubing (or so I am told by a chemist). Smell goes away after a couple of uses.

And, I am not surprised that the guy who thinks he hears subtle differences in speaker wires also believes one type of vaporizer gets you way higher than another.

crumply,

reece

crumply said:
I guess I am a troll. I figured audiophiles would be attracted to "superior" smoking products. Sorry.

What does being an audiophile have to do with smoking? Also, vaporizers are not smoking products.

crumply said:
I still don't think there is any health or practical difference between my $50 box and the stuff selling for hundreds.

Why don't you think there aren't health concerns? What people are trying to tell you is, the concern isn't solely that it is made in China. Again, there are many reputable businesses producing quality products (vaporizer and otherwise) with Chinese parts and labor. However, the generic knock-off type vaporizers tend to be produced by folks trying to capitalize on the popularity of a particular type of vaporizer and they have no regard for safety, or reliability. Maybe you don't care about these things. That's fine. But many of the folks here are speaking from experience while you "think" there are no concerns.

As for getting higher. If your $50 vape delivers the right heat, it will get you just as high as a higher priced vaporizer. But experience has shown that sometimes these vaporizers don't give the proper temperature, or it may at first but soon it doesn't. Again, it depends. Sometimes they work just fine, but you still don't know about the components or airpath, do you? You just "think" they're safe and you can't contact the company to ask about these things like you can with reputable businesses. Can you?

I really don't understand why you even asked the question because it doesn't seem like you're really interested in an answer from those with experience. I don't mean general vaporizing experience, some of these guys have purchased the cheap generic vaporizers.

Lastly, just because you can't hear the difference doesn't mean others cannot. Belittling someone for having a different opinion than you is pretty poor form. You've gotten respectful replies. Why not show you are deserving of said respect by replying in kind?

reece,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
If the OP ever had the chance to try two good vaporizers - say, a PD and a SSV, my guess is that he would not only understand the difference between quality and questionable, but he would also experience two different levels of high between the two vaporizers. Not better, just different. Many of us here know this from experience; we're just trying to spell it out. Perhaps if we had a blackboard, a pointer and a smock it would be easier. No, you're not a troll but you're unnecessarily reactive. We're trying to tell you something and then after a while it's like pearls before swine and that's a harshmellow for all concerned.

Regarding audio, yes, there is a long standing debate about cable but in my opinion the differences are there but slight as you go up the ladder, however if you A/B consumer entry level Monster Cable versus lamp cord I think the untrained ear could detect a difference. If you go to a site like audiogon where they sell and talk about this stuff it's obvious that these people are not fools or idiots. Same goes for cable TV - better coaxial will give you a better signal.

It's logical to say that if you don't care about toxins in your vapor path why bother vaping at all. But I think it's in your best interest to learn about this stuff.

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
I'm pretty sure that most here responded on the basis that you were looking for legit opinions at least, and maybe evidence?

But this says, to me anyway, that you're really just trying to defend your purchase and your theory that more expensive vapes, like high end audio equipment, are a waste of money.

And, I am not surprised that the guy who thinks he hears subtle differences in speaker wires also believes one type of vaporizer gets you way higher than another.
Sorry you interpreted that way, since I never said that. I've been saying for many years, to those in love with the Volcano, that it has no technology that gives you more or better vapor than cheaper models. Even a homemade light bulb vape can be very efficient in its vaporizing and delivery, it's just that it's very difficult to do so with such a basic, primitive method. As for my delusion that different cable designs and materials can make a sound difference, I'm happy to include myself in that category along with a lot of people that I have a great deal of respect for. You're welcome to your own opinion, although it's apparent that you're not happy with mine.

I guess I am a troll.
You said it, not us. I'm wondering what happened in your mind, to your atttitude, between your 2nd post and your 3rd. You got some more responses. Sorry if someone pissed you off, but we've got all kinds here, which means sometimes you won't like what someone says or how they say it, but I see nothing here except members responding to your request for feedback in a matter of fact manner. You do need to develop a fairly thick skin for successful forum posting. Your last post seems to be your final opinion on the subject, since it's kind of dismissive. If that's the case, then I think your thread has run its course.

max,

crumply

Max:

Nothing I said did I intend to direct towards you. In all honesty, I was referring to the young Larry King with my speaker wire comments.

I think you are right about being different kinds of people on a discussion board.

I also think this board has good information and advice, and more than an average share of snobbery.

crumply,

mlo4sho

crumply said:
Max:

Nothing I said did I intend to direct towards you. In all honesty, I was referring to the young Larry King with my speaker wire comments.

I think you are right about being different kinds of people on a discussion board.

I also think this board has good information and advice, and more than an average share of snobbery.

If that's the case then I think you'll fit right in.

mlo4sho,

stroh

errl enthusiast
crumply said:
Max:

okay, let me get this straight here

the reason you created this thread was to get others opinions on cheap china vapes v.s. higher end models, no?

yet when someone responds in an honest fashion you are so quick to belittle them and shut them down in an attempt to justify your own purchase.

you have an interesting philosophy to say the least :p and perhaps FC is not the right community for you

stroh,

lwien

So let me get this straight. You come to this board to ask the following question: " What could I expect to improve if I coughed up money to buy a more expensive vape?"

So then, the members here take the time out of their day to answer your question as best they could and it wasn't just only opinions they shared with you but qualified facts.

But being that those opinions and qualified facts differed with your original thoughts on the subject, you feel that those who supplied that information to you are........................snobs, but that they wouldn't be snobs if they agreed with your initial premise?

What the........ :shrug: ??

lwien,

wowthisisrandom

Glass/Vape Enthusiast
As a person who has experienced a crappy knock-off box and has also experienced the higher end vaporizers I will give you my opinion. It sort-of seems useless now, but I feel it would be good to comment since I have experienced both.

I like it. I set it to 360, then down to 355

Firstly, the digital displays on these boxes is crap. It is just random numbers that have no correlation to the real operating temp. One improvement you would gain with higher end products is more accurate temperature readouts.

Secondly, you mentioned a taste yourself. I have also experienced a taste from the knock off boxes. They are supposedly shipped with "packing oil" on the heating element that you're supposed to burn off. That doesn't sound safe to me. Any type of secondary taste from a vaporizer in my opinion diminishes from the experience. One of the great things about vaporizers is the taste, and your not getting the untarnished taste with shitty knock offs, I can tell you that. That's another improvement with higher end vapes, better taste.

Third, reliability. When I first got my china box it had no instructions. The screen in the whip was all bent and there were no replacement screens. I tried to contact the people I bought it from so they would supply these two things, but they never answered. There is no warranty on almost any china boxes and the customer service is almost non-existent. By the way, my china box died within a month from my purchase.

Lastly, there is a peace of mind that comes from knowing what your inhaling from every single day is safe. Not to mention the countless threads with tips and tricks for the specific brand vaporizer you buy.

I think you have truly gone against your word

I do not want to step on anybody's toes

Well you have done just that time and again. Just because somebody has taste does not mean they're some snobby dickhead. I can taste the difference between first cold pressed olive oil and crappy second rate olive oil from something like the 5th pressing. Maybe you can't, but that only shows my palate is more reformed than yours. I can hear the difference in speakers too. Don't say I'm a dick for enjoying the finer things in life, and I won't say your a dick for just wanting to save a buck or two.

:2c:

wowthisisrandom,

crawdad

floatin
joshua in War Games said:
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

im thinking this might be done, lots of excellent info posted for sure.

crawdad,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom