United Machining Stainless Steel Grinder

Drug

Apparently I got lucky and customs didn't check my package, so no extra costs and no extra long wait. Here's some pics, particularly showing the ledge @Shit Snacks was wondering about. As well as a comparison of grind (without the fine disc inserted) between this UM and my herb ripper mini.

It grinds the herb effortlessly, and all of it falls through the holes. So, also considering my experience with the stainless herb ripper, I expect this to be a low maintenance grinder. It's a bit noisy while grinding, my herb ripper uses an o-ring which prevents the metal chafing sound, but adds a component that's prone to wearing. The magnetic bottom part is well executed, as it kind of clicks together as seen in the images.

Weedaholic

Apparently I got lucky and customs didn't check my package, so no extra costs and no extra long wait. Here's some pics, particularly showing the ledge @Shit Snacks was wondering about. As well as a comparison of grind (without the fine disc inserted) between this UM and my herb ripper mini.

It grinds the herb effortlessly, and all of it falls through the holes. So, also considering my experience with the stainless herb ripper, I expect this to be a low maintenance grinder. It's a bit noisy while grinding, my herb ripper uses an o-ring which prevents the metal chafing sound, but adds a component that's prone to wearing. The magnetic bottom part is well executed, as it kind of clicks together as seen in the images.
shout out to the customs officer who forgot to check it lol.

looks like a very well designed grinder from the pictures.

now the wait begins for one.

DylanUnited

Manufacturer

Are you in Canada or elsewhere?

DylanUnited,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Wow that is fast shipping! Lucky

That grind looks super consistent, the design of the grind teeth and holes for lid and bottom seem very well thought out for a nice grind!

Not too thrilled with that little ledge, without the kief tray, but could be worthwhile for a grind that nice (and maybe I will finally try filtering kief again? Unlikely I would regularly though)

So there is no plastic o-ring between the lid and body? Like every other grinder has? I guess steel on steel grinding is not as much of a concern as aluminum on aluminum, but that is still surprising? Still turns smooth though?

Also interesting that the magnets line up, I suppose that would make it very secure!

All in all looks very very nice, stellar build quality, and a well-thought out design... Damn I knew the first report would be positive, but still a tough decision for me!

Drug

Not too thrilled with that little ledge, without the kief tray, but could be worthwhile for a grind that nice (and maybe I will finally try filtering kief again? Unlikely I would regularly though)
Yes it's redundant if you don't use the kief screen, which I don't, so I would've preferred if it was rounded.

So there is no plastic o-ring between the lid and body? Like every other grinder has? I guess steel on steel grinding is not as much of a concern as aluminum on aluminum, but that is still surprising? Still turns smooth though?
No o-ring here, no. It's smooth though, actually a bit smoother than my herb ripper mini which sometimes stutters on its o-ring (I suspect due to its small diameter).

Also interesting that the magnets line up, I suppose that would make it very secure!
It really is. It's connected with these three pins as well, so you won't be turning the bottom part and there zero risk of opening it accidentally during use as is the case with threaded bottom part.

All in all looks very very nice, stellar build quality, and a well-thought out design... Damn I knew the first report would be positive, but still a tough decision for me!
I get that, it is a pretty hefty sum, although other high end stainless grinders seem to be around the same price. But as for the item itself I can't imagine anyone not being impressed with it, especially if it's their first stainless grinder.

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
It really is. It's connected with these three pins as well, so you won't be turning the bottom part and there zero risk of opening it accidentally during use as is the case with threaded bottom part.

Is it difficult to get the bottom off with those pins? I've got the smaller version and usually turn the bottom a little to disengage the magnets for easy opening, but I don't see that happening with the pins in place.

DylanUnited

Manufacturer
The bottom is designed to rotate just enough to disengage the magnetism so the bottom and middle section separate easily.

That's good feedback on the ledge. I can add a radius that the kief screen can sit on instead of a 90 degree ledge. I'm always listening to what people say and add features where I can.

poutine

I meant to email @DylanUnited about the shipping thing, but then decided to check this instead. Glad to know things are moving back out even though USPS is kinda touchy with media stuff.

Shit Snacks

The bottom is designed to rotate just enough to disengage the magnetism so the bottom and middle section separate easily.

That's good feedback on the ledge. I can add a radius that the kief screen can sit on instead of a 90 degree ledge. I'm always listening to what people say and add features where I can.

That is great to hear! I wonder, if you do make that change, for the ledge, would it be possible to get that new piece later to replace the original if I buy now?? I do understand that if the answer is yes, that piece would likely cost extra though, since these are expensive machined pieces...

DylanUnited

Manufacturer
That is great to hear! I wonder, if you do make that change, for the ledge, would it be possible to get that new piece later to replace the original if I buy now?? I do understand that if the answer is yes, that piece would likely cost extra though, since these are expensive machined pieces...
As long as it works out as it should any that are pre-ordered now will have that update as I'm going to start machining more next week. Ironically I'm starting with the bottom so that worked out timing wise!

Shit Snacks

As long as it works out as it should any that are pre-ordered now will have that update as I'm going to start machining more next week. Ironically I'm starting with the bottom so that worked out timing wise!

Oh even greater to hear! Well I think I am just about convinced to jump in now! I will message you again on IG after I complete one last round of indecisive waffling lol

Vapor4me

It's a bit noisy while grinding, my herb ripper uses an o-ring which prevents the metal chafing sound, but adds a component that's prone to wearing.

Thanks for the report D!

Could you please tell us a bit more about the chafing sound? Have you noticed any denting? This is something that I noticed in my SLX (the denting) and which was a bit of a turn off (event tho it was replaced twice, but the problem would still persist). How would you describe the chafing sound?

Thanks,

V4M

Shit Snacks

Here you can listen for yourself @Vapor4me. There's no denting whatsoever.

That does seem a bit loud, but could just be because of the recording, would there not eventually be some wearing? I'm not sure if that is really never ever an issue with steel... Perhaps could use some lubrication if not a Teflon o-ring? Nice pics @poutine!

SquirrelMaster

Thanks for the report D!

Could you please tell us a bit more about the chafing sound? Have you noticed any denting? This is something that I noticed in my SLX (the denting) and which was a bit of a turn off (event tho it was replaced twice, but the problem would still persist). How would you describe the chafing sound?

Thanks,

V4M
I attribute part of the smoothness of the BCG compared to the HerbRipper because its plastic ring feels more slippery and helps things slide along. If I just barely lift the top of the HR or I add some lubricant (I used board butter iirc) it's much smoother. The reason I mention that is that I would think no ring would make it much tougher to use with the added resistance of steel on steel but there are obviously other factors that come into play like magnet strength for one and maybe the final polish on the steel surface.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger with the kief area being re-worked but the smoothness of turning during operation is a major concern for me.

No one here has both a BCG and the new United Machining grinder do they? That could go in a different thread to keep this organized.

Drug

would there not eventually be some wearing? I'm not sure if that is really never ever an issue with steel...
I wonder the same thing. Though I suspect some o-ring materials to be even more prone to shedding particles that are more harmful when heated.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger with the kief area being re-worked but the smoothness of turning during operation is a major concern for me.
There's barely any resistance, functions smoother than my herb ripper mini with o-ring. This UM got some really sharp blades as well, as shown in images. This thing grinds smooth.

DylanUnited

Manufacturer
I never saw the purpose behind using an o-ring which is why I don't use one. It would throw off the precise tolerances I hold between mating surfaces as well. Even with one you aren't overcoming the fact that the sidewalls are touching while spinning so yes there's inherently going to be noise generated, especially with bead blasted surfaces. These outer touch surfaces should smooth over time as well. Bead blasting displaces the surface of the material (raising it) while spinning the top will lead to burnishing over time, smoothing it back out. In the ideal world those touching mating surfaces would not be bead blasted but there would be far too much work involved to make that happen with no real gain to be achieved.

Weedaholic

And just like that I'm in! Instead of getting one now I decided to do the pre-order for the next batch with the curved bottom tray without the ledge. Love everything I'm seeing in here so far and don't want to miss out!
I think if you pre order now the next batch out will have the curved bottom tray.

EDIT: Don't mind me, i am pretty baked.just noticed you did pre order.

Last edited:

Manity

I attribute part of the smoothness of the BCG compared to the HerbRipper because its plastic ring feels more slippery and helps things slide along. If I just barely lift the top of the HR or I add some lubricant (I used board butter iirc) it's much smoother. The reason I mention that is that I would think no ring would make it much tougher to use with the added resistance of steel on steel but there are obviously other factors that come into play like magnet strength for one and maybe the final polish on the steel surface.

No one here has both a BCG and the new United Machining grinder do they? That could go in a different thread to keep this organized.
I own a BCG and United Machining....? United Machining gets more use for vapes due to its very fine consistency in grind but the BCG is nice also for anything from vapes to joints depending on the grind plate

SquirrelMaster

I ordered up a grinder this evening so I'm added to the January list :D. I'm pretty pumped, I've been watching with anticipation for a little while now. This hits all the boxes as my perfectly designed grinder with the grind sizes we've seen, magnetic operation, optional kief screen, good size, sweet little scoop and beautiful design. Will this be the one? We'll see next year.

jbm

I ordered up a grinder this evening so I'm added to the January list :D. I'm pretty pumped, I've been watching with anticipation for a little while now. This hits all the boxes as my perfectly designed grinder with the grind sizes we've seen, magnetic operation, optional kief screen, good size, sweet little scoop and beautiful design. Will this be the one? We'll see next year.
I've got one from the first round pf pre-orders and it is indeed beautifully made. I haven't actually used it yet, because I've been recovering from what has thankfully been a very mild case of COVID, so I've been on an enforced 2 week T-break. I'm looking forward to a first grind in it in a week or so.

Top Bottom