United Machining Stainless Steel Grinder

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
And the pre-order is now over. They must have sold through all the stock they planned to release initially. I think Dylan had posted that the pre-order sale would last one week, but demand must have overwhelmed the supply.
Wow, I'm surprised they blew through the supply so fast. I'm definitely glad I've been watching this thing like a shit-hawk and got my order in without hesitation!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Woah Yeah that's pretty disappointing there was no mention of a limited stock, I thought I had at least a couple days to decide! This talk of the 303 steel is what made me the most hesitant though I don't know if I should be... I mean vs the BCG's aluminum??

Drug

I thought I'd read somewhere the pre-order was gonna be limited, but I must be confused with the Neo. He said it'd last a week, should've mentioned it was limited. Glad for him they went this quickly though. If any of you are really bummed out, I guess you could shoot him an email and explain the situation. I did some emailing with him and he seems like a cool guy.

As for the ss grade it's too bad a metallurgist isn't active in the online vaping community afaik, would be nice to have someone to bother with all our metal shaving and vapor path questions. From what I've gathered the difference between 316 and 304 is mostly in corrosion resistance from salts. This is crucial for a car in cold winters, but for a grinder I don't know. If I could pick I still would've preferred the 316 though, but if it really is overkill why bother with it.

(Also I wonder how much American steel differs in quality from Indian steel. I don't usually care for unsubstantiated claims of superior western made quality as opposed to China or other low-wage countries. But steel quality is known to differ greatly in quality depending on where its fabricated.)

If any of us is really curious they could ask him if he could motivate his decision with some explanation on the science.

Manity

Funny how 303 SS scared some people away from this fantastic grinder.

Yes 316 is better but only if you need the features of 316 SS. My son is a chemical engineer and stated that 316 is used in SS applications that are in corrosive environments. Ie pool ladders or industrial applications. For a grinder it's overkill for 316 SS and very hard on the machinery to manufacture in mass quantities. 303 SS is specifically made for the purpose he is using it for.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
303 is also softer, that is a bigger problem than the corrosion resistance. It is a softer material that is easier to machine than 316...cutting edges will last longer on 316ss knives but are harder to sharpen to start off than softer carbon steel blades...you never see 303 being bragged about by any manufacturer for a reason. :2c:
Would still have to be a step up from aluminium for sure.:tup:

jbm

I thought I'd read somewhere the pre-order was gonna be limited, but I must be confused with the Neo. He said it'd last a week, should've mentioned it was limited. Glad for him they went this quickly though. If any of you are really bummed out, I guess you could shoot him an email and explain the situation. I did some emailing with him and he seems like a cool guy.
From the email he sent out announcing the pre-order:
Pre-Order is live through 10/12 or until sold out.

Drug

I was on the mailing list. Now i feel kinda bad I didn't mention that in my post. I was baked and didn't realize they only mentioned it in this email.

Shit Snacks

Yeah I was only really using this thread for information, had no idea there was a limited supply that could sell out, and it seems like there won't be a sale price like this again in the future either... Yeah so I'm just pretty disappointed, would've bought right away, but what can you do, it's not like I need it lol

Manity

Yeah I was only really using this thread for information, had no idea there was a limited supply that could sell out, and it seems like there won't be a sale price like this again in the future either... Yeah so I'm just pretty disappointed, would've bought right away, but what can you do, it's not like I need it lol
He's very good to deal with also... I'm in Canada and a repeat customer so he helped with the shipping cost that I found a bit high. Drop him an email and who knows as he's just a small business that's just starting to dabble in this industry.

Also my OG one I bought on a sale, wait for black Friday or 420... His first version didn't sell nearly as fast at these did. Even though I still love the first version. That grinder is PERFECT for my Flowerpot. The BCG can't come close to that fine grind consistency. This new unit will offer even finer grind and a more coarse grind for joints

Last edited:

Manity

I read on Instagram that there was only 35 available for this presale! I thought originally it would be 50 and happy I got in when they were available ... That's why it went so fast! Just based on demand I think he could make a business selling grinders if this unit is as beautiful as the first unit. Shit I'd pay 10$ just for an extra copper keif scoop lol. It's amazing how much money people with VAS will spend on needless cannabis accessories lol

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
That's a lot less then I thought would be available but it makes sense with how long it must take to machine all the details on these that he would want to do pretty small batches especially at first.

The kief scoop is very dope! I'm undecided if I want to leave the screen intact and get to play with that shovel or strip it down and rock it as a three piece as I've come to prefer with my Santa Cruz. I'm thinking that scoop is too damn pretty to leave utilized.

Manity

303 is also softer, that is a bigger problem than the corrosion resistance. It is a softer material that is easier to machine than 316...cutting edges will last longer on 316ss knives but are harder to sharpen to start off than softer carbon steel blades...you never see 303 being bragged about by any manufacturer for a reason. :2c:
Would still have to be a step up from aluminium for sure.:tup:

303 vs 316 SS

316 SS
Tensile Strength ksi

Hardness Brinell

303 SS
Tensile Strength ksi

Hardness Brinell

Not much difference to be honest in strength

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Why would you want to store Resin in SS containers?
I don't but obviously some do or they would not have made it:tup: I was just pointing out that CVault realized how corrosive cannabis resin is and made their container for it out of 316ss instead of the inferior 304ss that their standard Vaults are made from.

LesPlenty,
Reactions: Peacer666

Shit Snacks

So is the question do we think grinding bud, enough that there is resin buildup, with kief etc, that it could corrode the ss used here?!

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Yes, but once again it's a Cannabis GRINDER... Are you going to use in under water in the ocean? If so then I'd agree 303 SS isn't sufficient but for normal every day use its more then adequate. It still will not rust.

@LesPlenty
Why would you want to store Resin in SS containers?
LOL, no I am not using it underwater :razz:

BUT for those nearby oceans, it is not uncommon to accidentally leave a grinder out on the balcony overnight. Lots of salt in the air...

Manity

Guys this is a huge nothingburger. If you feel that the SS used isn't what you wanted guess what? You don't have to buy it. The excuses made for 316 over 303 are absolutely ludicrous in a Cannabis grinder. Go find another grinder that's made with 316 besides his OG, good luck finding that and thanks for the laugh guys as while most of you were crying over the SS used I bought one.

Manity,
Reactions: Ralph
Top Bottom