Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
OK so I finally ran out of screens for my glass stems and had to start on the ones for the vinyl stem. (Not literally RAN OUT RAN OUT, but when they get too clogged up, I drop them in a little jar of alcohol until they're all gone and then clean them all at once)

All I can say is, I get a much stronger hit for some bizarre reason.

The downside is that the vapor doesn't cool down nearly as much in these. It's harsher and makes me cough - not from smoke, its not combusting, its just hotter vapor.

There must be some way to get the same effect from a glass stem. I must be doing something wrong. Does anybody have a link to some videos showing packing the various types of stems, hopefully some discussion on grinding a little bit or a lot or NOT grinding at all?

I have noticed when dumping vaped herb out (of the glass stems) that I get some left behind that is kind of soggy, which I usually hit again until it is dry. EG the dry stuff drops out into my ABV jar and there is residue left along the screen that seems dampish. When I hit it again, it dries it out and finishes cooking it. Is that a sign of something wrong? I don't see this so much in the nylon stem, but then the screen for that is teensy so it wouldn't be as noticeable.

Yeah everything sounds like it's running properly.. the glass stems will run cooler than the SS tipped Nylon ones by design (like KidFated said).

You can always put a SS tip in a glass stem to combine the best of both worlds. :2c:

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
So I guess I will try packing less in the glass stem (so its a thinner layer) and push the screen closer to the end and maybe get it closer to the heat that way.

It's also due to the glass stems getting some cool air from the sides and due to the larger diameter. Think about the difference between a coffee stirrer straw and a milkshake straw. The smaller straw is more concentrated, and the milkshake straw is more airy-- if that make sense.

So you can try to get closer to the heating element, but there are these other factors at play too. :)

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Oooo, errr, how would one go about doing that?
I believe you can get the parts needed on their site. They might even put them together for you.

Edit: It's my favorite way to consume meds dry.

Edit edit: You can just get the SS tips with silicon and put it into a glass stem you already possess.

Last edited:

j-bug

A quick question about the NonG stems, are those long enough to use like the longer GonG stem as a direct draw stem or are those pretty exclusively a through a water piece sort of thing? I prefer the tapered end of the GonG piece to the direct draw stem, but love the flavor and efficiency of the nylon DD and I was hoping I could get the best of both worlds with the NonG stems, but if that's not the case then it really doesn't make sense for me to be picking that up at the moment. Thanks all :)

Madcap79

A quick question about the NonG stems, are those long enough to use like the longer GonG stem as a direct draw stem or are those pretty exclusively a through a water piece sort of thing? I prefer the tapered end of the GonG piece to the direct draw stem, but love the flavor and efficiency of the nylon DD and I was hoping I could get the best of both worlds with the NonG stems, but if that's not the case then it really doesn't make sense for me to be picking that up at the moment. Thanks all :)
If you want the best of both worlds get this: http://underdogvapes.com/vape-accessories/vape-stems/sstipwsilicone

You can slide that into a glass direct draw stem and there you have it. If I'm understanding the question that is.

j-bug

If you want the best of both worlds get this: http://underdogvapes.com/vape-accessories/vape-stems/sstipwsilicone

You can slide that into a glass direct draw stem and there you have it. If I'm understanding the question that is.
I think I could probably phrase it better since that's not what I meant. I really love the tapered end of the GonG and enjoy using that more than I enjoy the regular direct draw stem. I figure I love the nylon direct draw stem, so I'd enjoy the NonG adapter even more. My question is: can i use this stem as a direct draw stem or should I only use that stem with a water piece? I hope that makes more sense. If it doesn't I'll have to try and rephrase my question in the morning.

Madcap79

I think I could probably phrase it better since that's not what I meant. I really love the tapered end of the GonG and enjoy using that more than I enjoy the regular direct draw stem. I figure I love the nylon direct draw stem, so I'd enjoy the NonG adapter even more. My question is: can i use this stem as a direct draw stem or should I only use that stem with a water piece? I hope that makes more sense. If it doesn't I'll have to try and rephrase my question in the morning.
I see. It really depends on how sensitive you are to warm vapor. With the shorter air path the vapor won't have as much time to cool. So if that is not an issue then I don't see why you couldn't.

j-bug

I see. It really depends on how sensitive you are to warm vapor. With the shorter air path the vapor won't have as much time to cool. So if that is not an issue then I don't see why you couldn't.
I find I usually don't mind the heat that I've experienced with the dog on any of the stems so far, I suppose I could try using the short GonG that I have and see if that's way too hot or not and order (or not) based off of that.

Guess I have to do another stem before bed for science, will report back in the morning. :)

Edit: do not recommend this method, it's just too hot like this to have a full bowl with that stem

Last edited:

drewper

2+ years on the wall wart, loving life when everybody gets off the grid and it gets nice and hot. Indian Rosewood
RGczzPg.jpg

Jokermachine

Well-Blown Member
Another superb creation from the experts in Paradise...heading for my workshop! Went too long always having to remember to grab my dog before heading out to the shop. So this little guy is gonna be the ticket. Thanks again to Dave & Amanda for this seriously beautiful, functional piece of artwork. Christmas joy to all.
vIp6zfd.jpg

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Beautiful pups @Jokermachine

Meant to mention this the other day, I took one of my GonGs and inverted the screen like some guy said a few pages back. I actually really like it, the screen seems to stay cleaner easier.

Does seem like I need to give a stir though. Assuming some sort of radiant conduction or something with the screen like U rather than n, loads just don't seem as toasted without a stir in this GonG. Would recommend people to try it, don't think I would invert all of them though

Top Bottom