Underdog Log Vapes

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Hi Dave,

I have been a PD user for 3 years now but unfortunately it has just recently stopped working. Well, it's working, but it's extremely temperamental. Do you still do repairs for PD users? If you have the time, I would love for you to fix mine or give me some advice.

I am also interested in purchasing a UD and I have 2 questions. Will the UD face the same problems with the resistor breaking over time? What is the diameter of the tube? Will my PD tubes fit in the UD and will the UD fit in the bong I've been piping my PD through? Thanks
Since Dave is probably in the shop, I'll take a shot here.

PD repairs are availiabe.... email Dave. (I wasn't much help there, I know)

PD stems do not fit with the UD. The UD is meant to be used with silicone that surrounds the outside of the heatport, as opposed to the PD stems going inside the heatport.

UD stems can be shaved down to fit any 14.4mm downstem, but Dave also sells WPAs (water pipe adapters) to work with your glass.

:peace:

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
Hey AA it might also mean that you've got a bad connection in the Dog, either in the plug at a solder joint which will make it run cooler sometimes. You can compensate for this with added voltage to an extent but if this is the case the Pup will eventually need to come in and see the vet.

Do you have a voltmeter that you can check your line voltage with? Or the resistance reading of your Dog? That might help in troubleshooting. Also if you happen to have one of those Kill-a-Watt appliance usage meters that will tell you your line voltage coming in.
I've noticed that the two times I've had to run my air conditioner while my pup was plugged in, my dog didn't get up to temperature. I live in a vintage place and whenever I have the AC on, the lights dim slightly. If you live in a place with old wiring, it's quite possible that's what the problem is. When I turned the AC off, my pup heated back up.

Crohnie,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hi Dave,

I have been a PD user for 3 years now but unfortunately it has just recently stopped working. Well, it's working, but it's extremely temperamental. Do you still do repairs for PD users? If you have the time, I would love for you to fix mine or give me some advice.

I am also interested in purchasing a UD and I have 2 questions. Will the UD face the same problems with the resistor breaking over time? What is the diameter of the tube? Will my PD tubes fit in the UD and will the UD fit in the bong I've been piping my PD through? Thanks

Yeah I still do repairs for PD users, no problem, the price varies from about $40 to $60 (plus shipping) depending how long it ends up taking me. If you are a DIY type I can also provide the parts and instructions for you to do your own repair if that's your preference, that usually runs $20-$30.

I also offer a PD retrofit service where a modern UD sealed and insulated core is installed into your PD body along with a new plug, new wiring and a new bottom. This runs $100 (plus shipping) and comes with a higher voltage UD power supply and a couple of the basic glass stems.

As for breaking resistors, yeah those resistors don't last forever in any application and will eventually fail. The way they are used in vapes is especially hard on them, in that usage they're being driven well beyond their rated power, 24/7, unable to dissipate heat and prone to being dropped, bumped, banged around etc. Specific to the UD they will typically fail a bit sooner in an UD than they would in a PD as we're driving them at higher power than the PD does and it effectively speeds the process of failure up.

Stem wise I think classic PD stems will fit in our tubes, I only have 1 to check with and it works but that doesn't necessarily mean they all will. I don't have my calipers handy so I can't give you a good measurement on the ID of the UD tube but maybe someone else will chime in. If not I'll grab the calipers tomorrow when I'm in the shop and measure it then. As far as whether or not the UD will fit with your bong I can't really say since UDs come in all shapes and sizes so I guess the answer is "maybe".

If you've got more questions or want go with a repair option shoot me a message and we'll get the ball rolling. Thanks! :peace:

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Thanks for the feedback mvapes, would a plug adapter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Right-Angle-Connector-Converter-2-1mm/dp/B005O0SOKY work for what you need?

If so maybe I can find a place to buy them in bulk in the future..

@ walrus - glad you're enjoying the piece man and thanks for the praise! Funny how power cords are always just a little too short huh? No worries though extensions can be found all over the place and I have a few hundred here just waiting to find a new home as well. :cool:

Wow - would that work? I can order it right now.

mvapes,

drewper

holding off on picking up the 18mm gong adapter from dave, what do you know the ben wilson bub's bowl fits the tubing perfectly. this'll work for now!

cheers
photo1ref.jpg

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
holding off on picking up the 18mm gong adapter from dave, what do you know the ben wilson bub's bowl fits the tubing perfectly. this'll work for now!

cheers
photo1ref.jpg

Great bub!!

I have the slightly less worked version, but i sold my slide right after I got it

JDSupreme,

drewper

Great bub!!

I have the slightly less worked version, but i sold my slide right after I got it
yeah, ben did a nice job on this. i've had a luke wilson 5-arm downstem/10-arm tree mini beaker for years and works like a champ. the functionality is very similar between the two, fun to play with the bubbler now

drewper,

Highocaine

Hey Dave,

Just an update to tell you that I think I know why your items keep getting stuck in Canadian customs. Any item that's not declared as pre-taxed gets slapped with the HST (12% for British Columbians) PLUS a $10 customs charge.

This obviously hits hard, especially on smaller purchases like stems. You could save your Canadian customers the $10 charge and speed their shipping time by charging tax on sale, but this means you'll have to do more work to actually send that tax money to Canada. Paypal (and maybe Google Checkout?) might have ways to ease this process. It's understandable if you don't want to put in the effort.

Also, now that I'm getting into glass I really wish I'd picked up a WPA..

mw1111

Hey Dave,

It's Matt from Facebook, I asked for a custom Bubinga dog recently, noticed your putting some up in the refresh and can't wait to see how she looks! I dont mind at all if you make a few people jealous and post a picture here ;)

Skuma

Hello happy dog owners
My name is Eric, I live in Mexico and I'm very interested in buying an UD.
I've already asked Dave a few questions but I think it's better to keep asking here and let Dave do what he does best.
So here it goes...
Does all the UDs have the same core? Or the twigs have the little one? I'm thinking on buying an ash twig because I like the simple design and price but I just want to make sure it performs as well as the other ones and the lesser price is because of the wood and shape.
Does the water pipe adapter GONG needs silicone tubing to work or it connects directly to the waterpipe and the UD?
Which stems do you prefer? Silicone or glass?
I'm going to buy thick and thin wall silicone tubing, which screens am I going to need 1/4 , 3/8 or both?
Do you recommend I buy the variable power supply cord in case I get a variable supply? Or are those easy to find?

Do you think the UD performs well in waterpipes? I'm a proud owner of a toro and a German roor and I want to convert to vaporizing but the UD will be my first vape, do you think it's a good choice for a newbie?

Thanks a lot for your help, I really want to order my UD but I want to order everything I need and only the right stuff cuz international shipping is so expensive.

Keep enjoying those dogs.
Greetings from Mexico

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
Hey Skuma - All UDs since 2012 have the 3/8 inch core, including all twigs. The primary difference between twigs and full size pieces is durability. Twigs, by their nature of having less wood, will be less durable. We've discontinued the 1/4 inch core. The Water Pipe Adapter GONG will still use silicone on the side that connects to the UD, but does not need silicone on the side connected to your glass. I'll let everyone else answer the question about glass stems vs. silicone - I think it's really personal preference, though it seems that UDs like the silicone for glass use. When ordering silicone tubing - I have removed the option for 1/4 inch. For those of you who have a 1/4 inch core - just include a note with your orders that specifies that size.

The variable power supply cord is a custom cord that we make and not available anywhere else to my knowledge. Just make sure you talk to us and let us know what kind of variable power supply you plan to buy as there are different connectors depending on what you get.

I'd have to say UD performs extremely well in most any situations, but of course I'm biased, so I'll let everyone else chime in on that one too. UDs are known to be good vapes for those trying to quit combusting.

Saludos!

Last edited by a moderator:
underdogette,
Reactions: OhTheAgony

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Hello happy dog owners
My name is Eric, I live in Mexico and I'm very interested in buying an UD.
I've already asked Dave a few questions but I think it's better to keep asking here and let Dave do what he does best.
So here it goes...
Does all the UDs have the same core? Or the twigs have the little one? I'm thinking on buying an ash twig because I like the simple design and price but I just want to make sure it performs as well as the other ones and the lesser price is because of the wood and shape.
Does the water pipe adapter GONG needs silicone tubing to work or it connects directly to the waterpipe and the UD?
I'm going to buy thick and thin wall silicone tubing, which screens am I going to need 1/4 , 3/8 or both?
Do you recommend I buy the variable power supply cord in case I get a variable supply? Or are those easy to find?

Do you think the UD performs well in waterpipes? I'm a proud owner of a toro and a German roor and I want to convert to vaporizing but the UD will be my first vape, do you think it's a good choice for a newbie?

Thanks a lot for your help, I really want to order my UD but I want to order everything I need and only the right stuff cuz international shipping is so expensive.

Greetings from Mexico

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I have owned many vapes and have a decent glass collection as well - grant it - I wish I had a toro but for the most part I can relate to your question. IMO the UD is a fantastic choice for a vape to break into vaporization. First, there is little to no learning curve - its pretty much just insert tube and enjoy thick dense vapor hits. Second, based on the thick dense vapor hits that I just mentioned, it makes the transition from combustion much easier to relate to as your actually getting ass kicking mind altering hits that I promise will set off the cough. To me, that is a nice piece when your looking for something similar to what your used to when combusting. Lots of people want to change to vapor and start with units like the MFLB or the SOLO or any others for that matter and tend to think that the less intense hits aren't doing it for them and unfortunately shy away from vaporizing before truly giving it a fair shot. With that being said - those less intense hits DO work and they work well - but sometimes going with what your used to feeling will again IMO make the transition easier.

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor

Greetings from Mexico

seeing as how underdogette answered a good chunk of those questions, i'll try to take over from there

personally i prefer the glass tubing and so do a lot of my other friends who use my UD. at first i preferred the silicone but i think that's because i thought the glass stem was fragile and needed to be carefully which isn't the case, i've dropped my glass stem multiple times and it's still fine. in terms for screens, i'd order both types because personally i like the change different screens for different vaping stem/situations.

also just to be safe you should pick up a variable power supply cord because they're not easy to come
by and Dave sells them for pretty cheap. i bought one off of him and it's been working just great with no complications at all.

i think UD's work amazingly with water pipes. not many vapes can provide big powerful rips like the UD can with water pipes which is great for people like you who are newly converting over from smoking. those who come from smoking like to have that 'visual satisfaction' of something being exhaled after the rip and the UD does that with ease.

with such ease of use and the way it can deliver huge hits while conserving on material, the UD would be a great starting point in vaping for a person like you.

update from the storm in my area:
lost power last night at 5:40 but luckily i was taking hash hits out of my UD shortly beforehand so i was nicely medicated for a while. winds and rain was pretty strong all night. woke up this morning to still no power and to see one of the trees in my front yard had gone down. bored out of our minds already due to no technology in our house, i took my younger brother to a breakfast diner with me to kill time over breakfast. fortunately my parents called us mid-breakfast to tell us they fixed the down power line a tree fell on last night and our power is back. you best believe i came home after breakfast to finish off that partially spent hash bowl i left with my UD last night :tup:

Skuma

Hey Underdogette, mvapes and HES.

Thanks alot for your replies, you got me pretty convinced, I think I'm going to place my order tonight when I get home from work, which is pretty late cuz I work long hours...
Do you know if new dogs are comming soon? I dont know if I should wait a new batch or just order from this one.

Greetings and good luck with Sandy... try to enjoy the stormy weather and the power of nature against us little humans.

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Appreciate the update, hang in there HES!

Nothing much I can add there^^ I think, except perhaps welcome Skuma :wave:

Congrats on the Perez deal btw, if you have any idea who I'm referring to that is :D

I did noticed a lack of these on this page though.

May I present to you; The Mighty Mahogany Power Tower:

a4125302ad0bbe76292a68dab35a0fc5_f241.jpg

Oak and Bloodwood:

ec5bed53542bf7d981bb29e75a714098_f83.jpg

And my fav of this post; the graciously sleek Mimosa:

8dbf5c5c10a0e62dd93804b66d462ed9_f341.jpg

underdog

Manufacturer
I'm ok with that. :wave:

Hey aKa - this thread moves so fast sometimes I think I missed (or forgot to respond) to your post.. doh! Anyways I'm working on that piece of yours today and will post a pic once I'm to a good stopping point. :p

Hey Dave,

Just an update to tell you that I think I know why your items keep getting stuck in Canadian customs. Any item that's not declared as pre-taxed gets slapped with the HST (12% for British Columbians) PLUS a $10 customs charge.

This obviously hits hard, especially on smaller purchases like stems. You could save your Canadian customers the $10 charge and speed their shipping time by charging tax on sale, but this means you'll have to do more work to actually send that tax money to Canada. Paypal (and maybe Google Checkout?) might have ways to ease this process. It's understandable if you don't want to put in the effort.

Also, now that I'm getting into glass I really wish I'd picked up a WPA..

Thanks for the heads up Highocaine, no promises but we'll look into that and see if it would be practical to do that for Canadian orders.. :tup:

underdog,
Reactions: aKa

bosox1362

Haven't posted here before, but felt like letting you know I'll be putting in an order sometime tonight!

I've been using a MFLB for years (recently with the power adapter) but want something that is going to give fuller, thicker, and tastier hits. After reading pretty much this whole thread, the UD looks awesome.

I'll be sure to post some pictures and a quick review once I get it. Now to decide on a model...

Adobewan

@Skuma
Welcome Eric!
To chime in with my brethren, the UD is a perfect first vape, rocks with glass, great for smoke to vape transition, and silicone's great but glass rules.
The UD is a vape anyone can be confident buying.
It will exceed your expectations!
And you cannot beat Santa's, I mean Dave's customer service.

Soon you too, will be spreading the word.
Welcome to the Dog side...
...my young Padewan.(Read creepily in the Emperor's voice)

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey Underdogette, mvapes and HES.

Thanks alot for your replies, you got me pretty convinced, I think I'm going to place my order tonight when I get home from work, which is pretty late cuz I work long hours...
Do you know if new dogs are comming soon? I dont know if I should wait a new batch or just order from this one.

Greetings and good luck with Sandy... try to enjoy the stormy weather and the power of nature against us little humans.

I have more pieces coming, the next refresh is about a week and a half away.. :cool:

Hey Dave,

It's Matt from Facebook, I asked for a custom Bubinga dog recently, noticed your putting some up in the refresh and can't wait to see how she looks! I dont mind at all if you make a few people jealous and post a picture here ;)

Hey Matt, I messaged you back once I got some Bubinga in but never heard back.. maybe our messages got lost in the abyss or something. Anyways I do have some Bub now and would be happy to make you a piece, I'm also making a piece or two of it for this coming refresh as well. :peace:

underdog,

bosox1362

I have more pieces coming, the next refresh is about a week and a half away.. :cool:

I was really tempted to wait on the new batch, and see what you have in store... but the mahogany power tower was calling my name!

Just submitted the order for it and a GOnG attachment. Can't wait!

Thanks Dave!

bosox1362,

mw1111

I'll be happy to purchase my shaped bub dog any way you prefer. Apologies, facebook is lost on me haha:rolleyes:

mw1111,

abhs

Hey anyone out there have a PD they'd want to send in for UD store credit? They don't have to be working (although it's ok if they are) as I plan on a full tear down and retrofit to the latest UD core as a special project. :peace:

Hey Dave, I sent you a message about repairing my PD, but I was reading through the last few pages of this thread and I came across your request. Are you still looking for an old PD? Thanks

abhs,
Top Bottom