Underdog Log Vapes

Glairige

1A is an extremely conservative estimate - the draw on each of my two dogs fluctuates between .55A and .56A at 12V.

Glairige,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Glairige said:
1A is an extremely conservative estimate - the draw on each of my two dogs fluctuates between .55A and .56A at 12V.
Sounds about right. If Dave is using the 20 Ohm resistor then the draw should theoretically be 0.6A, maybe a bit more allowing for 5% resistor tolerance.

hazy,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
GO!!bot said:
Are there an ubertwigs available?

I do have uber-Twigs but not until after my return on the 15th.

hazy said:
Glairige said:
Sounds about right. If Dave is using the 20 Ohm resistor then the draw should theoretically be 0.6A, maybe a bit more allowing for 5% resistor tolerance.

Yep, the resistors are all the standard 20 Ohm (5%) ones and the draw falls in the range of .55 to .65 under any normal conditions. As far as power supplies go I like to size them so they only have to run between 50-75% capacity so usually aim for ones in the 1A to 1.5A power range (12v DC ideally) so they run cool and live a long life.

@ Gonzo - scored some Sumac today but won't be able to get pictures of it until I get back to the shop. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
underdog,

SirElton

underdog said:
scored some Sumac today but won't be able to get pictures of it until I get back to the shop. ;)

Wonderful. If its anything like a few of the RZ's, we're in for a treat. :cool:

SirElton,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
underdog said:
@ Gonzo - scored some Sumac today but won't be able to get pictures of it until I get back to the shop. ;)

Dave you are the man! I am ready to place the order for a custom piece once you return.

Gonzo,

underdog

Manufacturer
Haha.. I figured you'd be psyched there Gonzo. Once I get it back to the shop I'll get it cleaned up and then post some pics of it, I think I'll get enough out of it for as many as 6 pieces so maybe there will be something you like. ;)

@ SirElton - I'd be super happy if any of it is as nice as the stuff Rick got ahold of.. that was some really sweet stuff! Hell if it's half that nice I'll be happy. :cool:

underdog,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
My little pup is still smelling like the oils, but it has become a lot less intrusive after almost 18 hours of burn-in and the little bath I gave it yesterday *coughs*

So I decided to treat myself to a little wake and bake this morning but had a hard time getting clouds again with the 220V adapter that came with it. If I pull every trick I learned since I started vaping out of my sleeve I can get the ABV to a golden/light brown color at best, but it's difficult and takes me about 20 minutes per bowl (I am a slow enjoyer though)

I also ordered a car adapter with my pup and I have a 1 Amp 220V to 12V wall inverter with a socket for car adapters, so I figured I gave that a try too. Huge difference!!

I immediately get fat white dense clouds like I saw in the videos some of you guys posted and I get a lot more hits per bowl now. Heat up time is cut down from +20 minutes to <12 minutes, and screen position and draw speed suddenly are a lot less important for a good result. True experimenting can finally begin :brow:

I've been looking for my multimeter to see what both power supplies put out but I can't seem to find it. I might have lend it to a friend but I can't really remember right now (with my cloud-filled-flu-head). I'll get back to you on that one Dave. I also tested the extension cord with the car adapter (which I will refer to as ca from now on) because the plug on the ca sits a little loose in the pup itself and comes out from time to time, but that does make it run a little cooler. If I have to estimate I'd say it takes off about half a volt, but a measurement will follow as soon as I can remember where my freaking multimeter is.

One more thing, I just noticed in daylight (it was already dark when my pup arrived yesterday and I don't use a lot of lighting in my house in the evening) that my glass stem is busted. There is a spiderweb of hair-fractures visible when I pull off the silicon bowl. The package was pretty dented on one side when it arrived so I'm blaming post or customs, would the insurance cover a new stem plus shipping you think Dave?

I wanna do a little photo shoot with the new arrival today anyway, so I'll try to capture it and send you a picture of it when you get home so I won't clutter your mailbox to much, ok?

edit: just took a few quick snapshots in the snow:

minip1010718.jpg

minip1010719.jpg

I nicknamed it Two-Face:

minip1010721.jpg

minip1010724.jpg

OhTheAgony,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Nice OTA, I like the name, very apt, but put that dog indoors before it gets a chill ;) What kind of leather is that?

J.R.R.Tokin',

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
It's already back on the chord J.R.(R.), I need to test how dark I can get my ABV next :brow:

I think Dave said it was just regular cowhide with a print pressed in to it, gator print perhaps?

OhTheAgony,

underdog

Manufacturer
@ OTA - thanks for the update dude, glad you were able to start making some progress. There is probably something up with your power supply, I've had some issues reported in some locations with some of the international ones for some reasons. Once I get back from my trip we'll talk about the glass stem and more about the power supply.. I hope you can get by with your car cord / adapter until then?

Oh and yeah the leather is 'gator style embossed cowhide.

underdog,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Nice. Super foggy vid. Looks like an 80's rock vid that's over done it with the dry ice :D

J.R.R.Tokin',

GO!!bot

VaporBoxed said:
I had a nice session this morning with my ubertwig. Vapor and more Vapor

Holy shit look at the size of that exhale! It looked like smoke! ;)

the glare from the sun kinda obscures the view on the draw, but the cloud you blew out was epic

GO!!bot,

SD_haze

Its amazing how just taking one single decent sized UD rip, the first of a stem, can get you amazingly vaked for a pretty long time.

Abysmal's efficiency claims sounded too good to be true but I'm finding more and more its not :)

SD_haze,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
underdog said:
@ OTA - thanks for the update dude, glad you were able to start making some progress. There is probably something up with your power supply, I've had some issues reported in some locations with some of the international ones for some reasons. Once I get back from my trip we'll talk about the glass stem and more about the power supply.. I hope you can get by with your car cord / adapter until then?

Sure man, no problem. There isn't much you can do from where you are now anyway.

I'm not sure it is the power supply though. It may just be the dog itself or simply it's user.

I can not reproduce that first experience I had with the ca no mater what I try. I tried different packing methods, different load sizes, different breathing speeds, but all I get are a few thin hits and sometimes a single bigger cloud per load. My ABV stays a dark green/gold at best. I haven't messed with the screen position again, I decided to leave that at the position where it was the one time I did get good results for now. I wish I could find my multimeter so I could at least check if it gets the required 12 volts or not but it seems to be gone. I'll borrow one from a friend to check, but it might be a while before I'm able to pick it up since the snow and sub-zero temperatures are basically rendering this biker without transportation at the moment.

The dog itself gets pretty hot though. About an inch from the top is where the wood gets the hottest, almost so hot that it's getting uncomfortable to hold for a very long time. I'm afraid to leave it on over night after discovering that. The bottom part, lets say up to half an inch or so from the bottom, never gets hot but always stays slightly cool. The screen always gets bloody hot too btw, after just two hits or so I can feel it burning my fingers through the silicon (I've only used the thinner silicon bowls that go with the glass stems up to now). Just trying to give you guys as much data as possible so someone perhaps can confirm how much my experience matches theirs.

Do you test every dog yourself before it goes out the shop Dave?

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
underdog said:

Have to add that the charger i got with my dog was underperforming too.. I would happend often that my UD was not hot enough.. or didn't compensate temp drop after drawl . It was a model of V-infinity or smth.
By the way the jack was bitchin too.. I found that if it is not fitted tightly it doesn't gives full power.
SD_haze - Dude i couldn't believe it myself . I feel My Magic wand and DBV were just not being respectful to highest quality herb.. and seemed very wasteful for me.. that why i was usually in the market for the mids or cheap A- grade (like big bud,moby dick ) . I can get 15-20 loads = 30-40 devastating bong hits.. off one gram.. I would go trought 5-10 g of my other vapes to get similar effect (also visual vapor) which makes tripple the price + using less quality material which less enjoyable.. cuz not speacial essential oils there to add psychadelic effects.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily driver consumption so far .
- Consumption rate
DBV 1-5 g daily / 30-100 g monthly
MW 2-7 g daily / 50-200 g monthly
UD 0.3 - 1.5 g daily / 20-50 g monthly
Have in mind that consuption depends on quality of bud too.. but this is just raw info.. to get an idea of my tolerance shifting.
And have to add that vapes like DBV and MW (especially) naturally led me to use bigger amounts and abuse my tolerance due to the bigger loading chambers.
That like the difference between French meals and US meals.. Some are very alike almost the same.. but they just come in different size of plates and different amount.. (150 g is typical meal in France -- Some US dudes get 150 g of french fries just as an addition to their main meal..)
BTW.. I did reduce the size of my plates and i lost 10 kg for a month once.. Bulgarians eat worst than most abusive americans.. There are guys leaving their whole life on minced "mass grave" pork(for the price of a kilo cucumber you can get 3 kg of minced meat).... they dont eat eat even cucumbers... and spinach is a untasty monster.. I even saw a world chart on the worst feeding nation.. We were few places upper in rang :)..

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, I had my doubts about the PSU before I even tried it after reading the improved results 110V users seemed to have with the new heavier PSU Dave introduced recently. I asked Dave about it before placing a final order, but unfortunately it doesn't take 220V. Otherwise I would have opted for that one and used it with a EU plug adapter.

I'm was emailing with Toasty Top Alan about ordering a few of his GonG stems to try with my UD and he gave me the tip to bend the two little prongs on the plug on my 220V PSU more inwards to see if that changes anything, I'm trying that now but as far as I can tell so far it doesn't really change anything as it takes the pup a long time to warm up again. The ca plug seems to be of a different design as it has no prongs, as far as I can tell it just runs tapered inwards to grip the pin in the UD socket when pushed on it. That explains why it comes loose faster than the other one as well I guess.

I'll keep trying what I can though. I really want this pup to work and I know it's potential after that single successful try yesterday, I just don't get why I can't get that same result again. I tried at least ten bowls since then but I never saw that thick dense vapor again.

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

OTA .. I often had an issue with the vapes plug . So it is a pin that goes in and metal plastin on the right touching the side.. The problem with my first chargers jack was that it was not touching fully the side plastin .. So i had to pull that plastin towards the pin (i used a needle to do that) . So the jack was fitting very tightly that way.. because of the decreased space between the pin and the plastin on the right. I can tell that the jack is fitted tight if i can feel some resistance when rotating it left or right while it is plugged in the vape.
I am still using my first charger from time to time but i changed the jack.. with one from old broken charger .

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Ok, thanks Abysmal. I'll look more into the plug and adapters then today. I go through all the chargers and PSUs I can find in my house and see what's usable. Just wish I had my multimeter damned.

Does polarity matter at all with the UD?

ps: you're up early too for a Sunday mate ;)

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

My girlfriend has become my nutritional guru.. I am also into that 5am Yoga (before the world is awaken LOL) . Getting up early is not a problem for a recovered insomniac .. and switchin from smoke to vaporizing kind of got me addicted to the healthy life style.. In my book healthy = happy used to be .. poisoned= happy :).
Bout polarity .. I dont know.. But usually the cables are marked (one of them is marked) so you can differ .. I guess it might have some matter :).

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I normally do not function well in the morning, but that's often because I'm still up.

That is the main reason why poisoned still seems to work best for me I guess, haha. My life lately seems to be an ongoing battle to better that, but it is not going as fast as I like. Perhaps I should try a girlfriend like yours too, do you know if they have any more of those available where you got yours? :lol:

I'm pretty sure these type of vapes can be used with AC as well as DC PSUs, so I'm assuming polarity doesn't matter. I hope so anyway, because I have it plugged in to a external HDD PSU with an unknown polarity atm. It's rated for 12V- and 2Amps and it happens to have a similar plug as the 220V UD PSU, fingers crossed!

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

OhTheAgony said:
I normally do not function well in the morning, but that's often because I'm still up.

That is the main reason why poisoned still seems to work best for me I guess, haha. My life lately seems to be an ongoing battle to better that, but it is not going as fast as I like. Perhaps I should try a girlfriend like yours too, do you know if they have any more of those available where you got yours? :lol:

I'm pretty sure these type of vapes can be used with AC as well as DC PSUs, so I'm assuming polarity doesn't matter. I hope so anyway, because I have it plugged in to a external HDD PSU with an unknown polarity atm. It's rated for 12V- and 2Amps and it happens to have a similar plug as the 220V UD PSU, fingers crossed!
Ha ha ! Don't worry . I used once a charger from a small laptop 12 v 2a and worked like a charm ;) .. I am thinking yours is something similar.
-------
If gf like that weren't out of stock i would gladly get one or two more :).. I bet i will become a Shaolin Monk Yoga Vegan In no time.. LOL..

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Haha, I've always had my hands full on one woman at the time, I don't think I'm willing to invest the time it would take to keep 2 or 3 of them happy :lol:

But if you do find a spare one just send her my way please. I paypal you the shipping costs of course :ko:

The HDD adapter seems to work but I'm still getting the same results unfortunately. The dog feels hot on the outside but judging from the vapor density and ABV color I'm vaping at 180 degrees Celsius at most, where my desired temps are more around 210-215.

Gonna try the ca again for one more bowl and if I still can't brown anything then I think it's time to turn all this green ABV I gathered yesterday in to something edible. I'm feeling a bit under-medicated, which just sounds wrong in so many ways, lol.

edit: still no luck browning my weeds. I think it may be the voltage in my house combined with the fact that these PSUs are rated up to 240V and we have no more then 220 to 230V at best. I assume these PSUs don't deliver the full 12V @ a <240V input.

While I don't have a multimeter at hand I do have a pretty nice computer I build myself. When I check the readouts from my pc when it's plugged in to the same wall-socket as my UD was I measure 11,65 Volts at the 12V line. I know from benchmark testing that my Seasonic X-650 should produce 12,11 at worse at these work loads but more like 12,25 realistically.

So I suspect I'm coming up at least half a volt short to properly feed my UD, could that account for the missing degrees Dave?

OhTheAgony,
Top Bottom