• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Underdog Log Vapes

darkrom

Great Scott!
Worked on this for you while thinking of how much I want to own such an amazing looking vape. I can't afford anything right now though. If I wasn't putting off dental/medical procedures due to "too much insurance use :( ) and lack of funds, I'd be getting one right away. I've seen and admired log vapes, but these are something amazing. It would tie the room together better than the Dude's rug. Anyway I'm still really impressed.

http://www.delorie.com/users/dj/tidbits/underdog.wav

When carcinogens in this herb appear
and hurt the lungs we hold dear
and coughing for all to hear
the cry goes up both far and near
for Underdog! UNDERDOG! Underdog! UNDERDOG!

Speed of lighning, roor is milked
Huge hits feel like silk
Underdog. Underdog!

When in this world the headlines read,
of those whose lungs filled with green
who medicates for those in need
to produce vapor with blinding speed
goes Underdog! UNDERDOG! Underdog! UNDERDOG!

Huge hits feel like silk
Underdog. Underdog!

underdog said:
Abysmal Vapor said:
Hmm Glass stem gong :) ? Somekind of adapter like the Supreme vaporizer orange thing. Thicker silicon stem.. May be 2-3 sleeves in one so it does not bend . Glass on glass adapter like the dbv and ssv. You can release models that are good for vape bonging (low weight , small dimensions,i can imagine some of the models like the cebil twig will work fine for that)

Hehe I'm such a bong newb that I can't really imagine what you mean.. but I can do light weight and small dimensions, I've made a few probably 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the twigs. What size tube do you need to have to hook up to?

The gong stems most people use are 14mm. Honestly I wouldn't sweat it most people have a shit ton of other stems anyways; there however is only one guy that I know who makes glass to glass stems to vaporbong one's log vape. Why did you pick silicon as a stem however? Isn't is hard to keep clean and reclaim oil? Sorry if it seems like I'm busting your balls about everything =/

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
darkrom said:
Worked on this for you while thinking of how much I want to own such an amazing looking vape. I can't afford anything right now though. If I wasn't putting off dental/medical procedures due to "too much insurance use :( ) and lack of funds, I'd be getting one right away. I've seen and admired log vapes, but these are something amazing. It would tie the room together better than the Dude's rug. Anyway I'm still really impressed.

Huge hits feel like silk
Underdog. Underdog!

Huge hits feel like silk
Underdog. Underdog!

Whoa! Hahaha that's f*ckin awesome! Now I just need someone to combine the lyrics and the song so I have my real own theme song. Do you do video work too? I need some uTube videos made...

Oh and if you like The Dude's Rug like I do then you might also salivate over this!
A real The Dudes Rug!

**edited re: The Rug**

darkrom

Great Scott!
Some day I will have the cash to get a rug identical to that made for my house haha.

I have never done any video work like that at all. The only filming I do so far is with the 720p camera I have on my phone haha. I love gadgets but haven't had the money to justify a standalone camera :/

Your vapes are the first wood working that I've truly seen as artistic and beautiful to look at.

Orestes

Magus Septimus
Wow.... Such nice pieces! I think the frankenvape is my favorite; I loves me some attractive asymmetry. And that Tupelo wood is just breathtaking. To quote francis bacon, there is no beauty that hath not some strangeness about its proportions.
The price is a bit rich for me at the moment, but they're clearly worth every penny. I'll probably have to buy a custom piece... Leaving the country soon. And who doesn't like custom tailored woodwork

Hey-- Are the stems made from the same stuff as the vaporizers? edit: Ah, silicon.

Orestes,
Reactions: pomogirl

underdog

Manufacturer
Orestes said:
Wow.... Such nice pieces! I think the frankenvape is my favorite; I loves me some attractive asymmetry. And that Tupelo wood is just breathtaking. To quote francis bacon, there is no beauty that hath not some strangeness about its proportions.
The price is a bit rich for me at the moment, but they're clearly worth every penny. I'll probably have to buy a custom piece... Leaving the country soon. And who doesn't like custom tailored woodwork

Hey-- Are the stems made from the same stuff as the vaporizers? edit: Ah, silicon.

Thanks Orestes, yeah the frankenvape rocks.. it's all sorts of weird, I'm half convinced it's haunted haha. Let me know when you're ready for a custom piece and we'll come up with something totally unique.

underdog

Manufacturer
placetime said:
very pretty woodworking. :)
the twig design is intriguing.
but doesn't it get too hot to hold with so little wood around the heater core?

Hey placetime, the twigs definitely get hot but I don't think too hot to hold. After being on for an hour I find them pretty hot but can still handle them relatively comfortable, the Mrs can also handle them but says they're too hot and uncomfortable.

stroh

errl enthusiast
underdog said:
darkrom said:

Huge hits feel like silk
Underdog. Underdog!

Huge hits feel like silk
Underdog. Underdog!

Whoa! Hahaha that's f*ckin awesome! Now I just need someone to combine the lyrics and the song so I have my real own theme song. Do you do video work too? I need some uTube videos made...

Oh and if you like The Dude's Rug like I do then you might also salivate over this!
A real The Dudes Rug!

**edited re: The Rug**

if/when i purchase one of these beauties, i would be happy to make a nice youtube video for you guys in full 1080p :D

stroh,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Ok so the first thing I have to say is now that my King's Jester by Underdog Vapes is here, I know what vape I'm using every time I'm home! UNDERDOG!

I took an unboxing video, but I suck and held my phone the wrong way while trying to film it alone. The whole thing was held in the wrong orientation and there are plenty of times I have to put the phone down. I don't film often. I'm sorry. I will take pics and videos and answer questions anyone has. If you have a specific question about the vape I'll do anything I can to accommodate you. I've been talking to Dave, the man responsible for these works of art, and I can tell you right away the customer service can't be beat. He levels with you and is 100% honest and just generally cool to deal with. Customer support makes or breaks a company in my opinion, and I am now rooting for the underdog.

The box was packed in such a way that no USPS delivery man could damage it, regardless of how much he hates his job on the day he handles your package. It is packed so carefully and well, that you really should double check the box to make sure you didn't miss anything. I almost threw away a really cool mini stash jar, but none of the glass jars broke. I'd feel comfortable dropping the box down the stairs, but I don't suggest it anyway.

Part 1 of the worst unboxing video in the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6v42lJcK6A

Part 2 of the worst unboxing video in the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1wmnL3azk

Some Pics of the packing and included goodies:

jyNuXl.jpg

kbogMl.jpg

ECcYMl.jpg

2RLZ1l.jpg

3yHE0l.jpg

spx2Bl.jpg

KZMUul.jpg

1ek6cl.jpg

w2UD4l.jpg

I'm getting overwhelmed trying to figure out the best way to introduce just how great of a vaporizer this is. I've used many many vapes, and already from 2 incredibly small stems, just enough to cover the screen, this is my new go to home vape. I will keep trying to post more and more information, ideally with better quality, but I need to do more testing :D and a usage video (that hopefully doesn't suck).

lwien

Uh, nevermind. I just read that blurb sheet you posted up. Think that answers it. Beautiful piece of woodworking there.
Darkrom, as soon as you fire her up, give us a review. Lookin' forward to it.

underdog

Manufacturer
lwien said:
Uh, nevermind. I just read that blurb sheet you posted up. Think that answers it. Beautiful piece of woodworking there.
Darkrom, as soon as you fire her up, give us a review. Lookin' forward to it.

Hey Iwien I think you might have answered your own question but just to confirm the glossy finish that comes on all my pieces is the shellac based finish Darkrom posted the instruction sheet for and as stated is a natural, food grade finish. I personally don't like synthetic finishes like lacquer or resin and only use them when someone specifically insists on one when commissioning a piece.

darkrom

Great Scott!
My review so far is that this vape kicks ass. I wish I had used another log vape to compare it to, but it is now the vape I will use whenever I am home. My DBV continues to sit. My solo scares the hell out of me sometimes, the MFLB is good for stealth but no big hits and isn't enough "oomph" for me. This vape is perfect for me at home. I haven't messed with the variable power supply at all.

The ONE thing I'd change about the vape is the stem. I'd prefer glass if it is possible, but the silicone works and does give a nice solid suction. Definitely no air leak at all. I am simply used to, and prefer glass. I wonder if there is any reason the stems couldn't be made of glass? It would be a nice upgrade to choose. Sometimes I would want to use silicone. They are incredibly easy to clean and easy to work with and not break.

I am scared of the car power supply, because I don't know what the voltage will be when I am driving rather than sitting in neutral. I will try that out more once I know what is safe for the vape. I don't wanna ruin this amazing looking vape.

I am very very impressed. Underdog vapes are definitely the real deal. The stem can hold quite a bit of herb, but as we all know you don't NEED a large bowl to get the desired effects. The screen seems to work flawlessly. Not one bit of bud has made it through so far, and that is with my sharpstone 2 pc.

underdog

Manufacturer
darkrom said:
My review so far is that this vape kicks ass. I wish I had used another log vape to compare it to, but it is now the vape I will use whenever I am home. My DBV continues to sit. My solo scares the hell out of me sometimes, the MFLB is good for stealth but no big hits and isn't enough "oomph" for me. This vape is perfect for me at home. I haven't messed with the variable power supply at all.

The ONE thing I'd change about the vape is the stem. I'd prefer glass if it is possible, but the silicone works and does give a nice solid suction. Definitely no air leak at all. I am simply used to, and prefer glass. I wonder if there is any reason the stems couldn't be made of glass? It would be a nice upgrade to choose. Sometimes I would want to use silicone. They are incredibly easy to clean and easy to work with and not break.

I am scared of the car power supply, because I don't know what the voltage will be when I am driving rather than sitting in neutral. I will try that out more once I know what is safe for the vape. I don't wanna ruin this amazing looking vape.

I am very very impressed. Underdog vapes are definitely the real deal. The stem can hold quite a bit of herb, but as we all know you don't NEED a large bowl to get the desired effects. The screen seems to work flawlessly. Not one bit of bud has made it through so far, and that is with my sharpstone 2 pc.

Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback on the vape and kit Darkrom, I appreciate it and it will help me improve my product going forward.

I will look into glass stems as an option and see what I can come up with, if you can find any ready made that have an inner diameter of 3/8" they might work too.

Glad to hear you're finding the stems easy to clean, what method are you using? The method I use is when done I tap it on the edge of a small tea cup so the ABV falls out into the cup then blow out any clinging remains into one of the muslin bags. For me this keeps things nice and clean until I decide to throw them in the dishwasher for a good thorough cleaning. You can also shake them in a container of ISO if that suits you. I make them to be more or less fool proof and ideally not require too much poking at them. If you do poke at it and end up dislodging the screen you can carefully push it all the way through to get it out then re-push it back in from the top using whatever small diameter blunt tool you can fit down there. If you want more than 2 stems you can buy more on the website for only a few bucks and also keep in mind that if you do manage to break one can't re-seat the screen it is covered under the warranty and I will replace it. Wow, I didn't mean to post a dissertation on stems and screens but there you go. Oh, last bit on the subject of screens; don't poke at the one in the tube of the vape. It's easier to mess up as it's held in place by surface friction/tension and it's harder to fix/replace. If you get anything on it I suggest just blowing on it to dislodge the debris.

Oh and re: the car power adapter don't worry about it too much. The vape wil heat up faster and run hotter in the car when the engine is running so simply adjust your warmup time and usage accordingly. With the engine off it will run basically the same as when plugged into the house plug. Enjoy!

If you want you can upload your videos and any future ones to our Underdog YouTube channel at: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderdogVapes

Thanks!
UD

**edited to add car adapter response**

darkrom

Great Scott!
So would it be a bad idea to heat the vape up for half an hour, then vape off and on during a 2 hr movie? I know it says to shut it off after use, but how long can I leave it on and call it one session? I am still trying to get used to it, but it really is hitting me as hard as my solo does, which was previously my hardest hitter.

underdog

Manufacturer
darkrom said:
So would it be a bad idea to heat the vape up for half an hour, then vape off and on during a 2 hr movie? I know it says to shut it off after use, but how long can I leave it on and call it one session? I am still trying to get used to it, but it really is hitting me as hard as my solo does, which was previously my hardest hitter.

There's no problem leaving it on while you watch a movie we do that all the time. I just suggest turning it off between sessions to reduce wear and tear. :peace:

underdog

Manufacturer
Stu said:
Underdog, have you tested units left on 24/7? If so, what happens to them?

I'm just curious.

Hey Stu, yes I've tested both cores 24/7 out to 2 weeks and then decided that was good since we don't suggest leaving them on around the clock anyways. We didn't have problems with any of the test units over that time frame.

I see these pieces I make as functional art and just tend to treat them conservatively and gently because I have so much work and TLC invested into each one you know?

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I can understand that. It's just that one of the benefits for me of a log-style vaporizer is that it is always on, and ready for use. Some of us patients need to medicate in short order and it's nice to have immediate access. I would love to own one of your pieces as they are simply beautiful. I just prefer to be able to use my vapes on demand. If you ever decide to do further testing of an always-on unit, I would be very interested in your findings.

:peace:

underdog

Manufacturer
Stu said:
I can understand that. It's just that one of the benefits for me of a log-style vaporizer is that it is always on, and ready for use. Some of us patients need to medicate in short order and it's nice to have immediate access. I would love to own one of your pieces as they are simply beautiful. I just prefer to be able to use my vapes on demand. If you ever decide to do further testing of an always-on unit, I would be very interested in your findings.

:peace:

Totally understandable, will let you know if anything changes..

nr-cole

Underdog, obviously this is coming from a very uninformed perspective, but I know that in the AZ and PD communities there is some discussion as to whether it's better for the wood to have a log vape that is always on. Heating it up to vape temp and then bringing it back down every day or even multiple times a day means that the wood is constantly expanding and contracting with the heat, which potentially could cause cracks?

I've only had my Walnut Zap about a week, but I decided on the second day that it was going to be an "always-on" unit. It's so convenient to have an effective heating time of zero.

Any thoughts from your perspective (which is obviously much better informed than mine).

nr-cole,

underdog

Manufacturer
Hi nr-cole, your question is a good one and one that I'm sure we've all spent quite a bit of time thinking about.

It's been my experience that if wood is going to check and crack it's going to do it regardless of any temperature cycling. Anything that causes it's relative moisture content to decrease rapidly (like heat) can bring this about sooner but it was bound to happen eventually anyways. To try and reduce this I use the best quality woods I can get and slowly dry them in the best environment I can provide, I have pretty good results.

In regards to the always on question my line of thought is a conservative one. I think being on all the time an being subjected to constant high temps is worse for the wood and the electronics in the long run that being cycled. While I don't have any hard-core scientific proof to back up my thoughts my personal experience does seem to support them. Since I have so much time invested in making these pieces and so much money invested in the materials I've just decided to go with my gut and keep them off when not in use.

If people want to leave my pieces on 24/7 and they end up damaged I'll do my best to repair them under warranty but as I'm sure you've seen some of the pieces are complex enough that repair might not be possible which sucks so again I just decide to error on the side of caution and keep them off.

Top Bottom