• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
biojuggernaut said:
you put them together with glue? Does any of this glue seep into the air path after many long hours of expanding and contracting?

I might look into a solid unit, but too many beautiful options to choose from. Any chance you could use bison or lizard on the bottom.

Yes pieces that are made of more than one kind of wood are glued up in 1 or more stages. Our core design is a closed system and keeps the wood/glue out of the air path but we only use glues that are FDA approved for food contact (like cutting boards, utensils, etc) as a matter of principle.

Yes you can totally use bison, lizard or other bottom types of your choosing. You can provide your own or we can source it for you. We usually keep about 20 different leathers in stock including some bison but I think we might have run out on a recent project.. but no worries we can always get more.

Also, not sure if you saw my edited first post but there's a discount code that provides FC members with upgraded free shipping and some other surprise goodies! I also touched briefly on our trade-in/upgrade program which people always like.

Last but not least for everyone purchasing a vape before December 31st we will be having a New Years drawing for a totally free, fully commissioned piece.

hereatlast

Some beautiful pieces of art there underdog. I'm surprised how small you can make them as well. Great work, look forward to more updates.

hereatlast,
Reactions: pomogirl

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
These are some really beautiful and creative vapes underdog. I love the different blends of wood. You also seem to understand how important it is to the FC crowd that the vapes we use are healthy.

Our core design is a closed system and keeps the wood/glue out of the air path but we only use glues that are FDA approved for food contact (like cutting boards, utensils, etc) as a matter of principle.

Does this mean that your heat core is solid? If you've hung around FC a while, you know that the log vape manufacturers here have had to have transparency regarding their heatports and air paths. Would you be willing to give more information, or better yet, post pictures of your heat core as the other manufacturers have done?

underdog

Manufacturer
momofthegoons said:
These are some really beautiful and creative vapes underdog. I love the different blends of wood. You also seem to understand how important it is to the FC crowd that the vapes we use are healthy.

Our core design is a closed system and keeps the wood/glue out of the air path but we only use glues that are FDA approved for food contact (like cutting boards, utensils, etc) as a matter of principle.

Does this mean that your heat core is solid? If you've hung around FC a while, you know that the log vape manufacturers here have had to have transparency regarding their heatports and air paths. Would you be willing to give more information, or better yet, post pictures of your heat core as the other manufacturers have done?

Thanks mom, I've tried hard to make these vapes as healthy as possible, developing the first ones for myself, my friends and my family was a strong incentive there!

My current heat cores are not solid but as I think I stated somewhere above I am in the late stages of a core redesign to a solid one, not for health concerns or anything like that but simply reasons of improved design and ease of manufacture. I just went and took some pictures of our current 3/8" core to try and give you an idea of what the insides are like.

Side view:
core1.jpg

Top(ish) view:
core2.jpg

Top lying down view:
core3.jpg

Side lying down view:
core4.jpg

So the core as you see above is similar in design to that of a PD or other log vapes, not a copy but similar. There are multiple stainless parts fitted together which are then slid into a stainless sleeve (not shown) and the whole thing is then crimped closed in a 3-ton press. In final manufacturing a stainless screen and the heating element are inserted into the center tube before the core is inserted into a vape.

Moving on, someone asked earlier if standard log vape stems would work with our pieces and I said yes with the 1/4" core and yes when mated to one of our stems with the 3/8" core. Well I took a picture of that scenario in case my description was confusing so here you go. I should add one thing I like about using the silicone tubing on my pieces is the tight seal it makes ensuring all your air is coming straight through the heat core.

Underdog stem mated to standard log stem:
stem-pd.jpg

**edited to correct typos, sigh** :rolleyes:

stroh

errl enthusiast
these vapes look simply amazing :o

hopefully i can run into some extra cash by the holidays, would love to add one of these to my arsenal

stroh,

underdog

Manufacturer
stroh said:
these vapes look simply amazing :o

hopefully i can run into some extra cash by the holidays, would love to add one of these to my arsenal

Thanks stroh!

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
Busy morning in the shop, working on a few new 3w bodies for release in the week or two. Also waiting on the arrival of 15-20 square feet of additional leather including some bison and embossed cow "exotics"

Oh yeah, some more beautiful Claro Walnut burl showed up this morning along with some more Purpleheart and Leopardwood. Good times!

Will update with some pics when I can get out of the shop and into the "studio"...

Wooood! Claro Walnut Burl, more Myrtle burl and some Purpleheart which I started re-sawing before I decided to take some pics.. :D
Wood1w.JPG

**edited to add pics**

I know you talked about the wood . . Do they two different size heating chamber have the same temperances in terms of average temp? So they are both the same temp or is 3/8 hotter?

biojuggernaut,

underdog

Manufacturer
biojuggernaut said:
I know you talked about the wood . . Do they two different size heating chamber have the same temperances in terms of average temp? So they are both the same temp or is 3/8 hotter?

Heya bio,

The both size heat cores produce the same temperature, the main differences are the 1/4" core heats up faster, is more thrifty on the herb usage, uses less power (3 watts vs 5 watts) and of course is slightly smaller over all. The down side of the 1/4" core is it is more difficult to make and it is more fragile than the 3/8" core because of it's very thin stem tube, if you look at the pictures with a 1/4" core you can see what I mean.

Pictures of today's wood being added above in just a couple minutes...

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thanks for sharing your "internals" with us. :) My only other concern would be the sustainability of the glue when heated. What is the longest time that one of your vapes has been used? Also, are these meant to be plugged in 24/7 like the other log vapes, or is that not recommended?

underdog

Manufacturer
momofthegoons said:
Thanks for sharing your "internals" with us. :) My only other concern would be the sustainability of the glue when heated. What is the longest time that one of your vapes has been used? Also, are these meant to be plugged in 24/7 like the other log vapes, or is that not recommended?

Other than in the very early days while experimenting and refining my technique I've never had a glue failure. Granted it hasn't been that long a time period but I have a couple early pieces I still use that are 2+ years old and not showing any problems with the glue either.

I don't recommend leaving the pieces plugged in 24/7. I've tested them and left them on for days at a time but my feeling is it's just unnecessary wear and tear on the pieces. I've done my best to design a core with improved heat up times and for those rare occasions someone just can't wait the variable power supply can always be used to cut the heat up time to as little as 4-5 minutes.

I make these vapes to be about maximum enjoyment and appreciation of the herb and honestly if I think someone is a "hurry up" or "I just wanna get as stoned as possible as fast as possible" kinda person I recommend they buy something else and not an Underdog.

**edited for more damn typos!**

Can I see a picture of the power supply by any chance? you say they are adjustable? Also when are you getting in your new heatsink/elements? I wouldn't want to put 300 bucks out on the line to get an outdated unit, I just did that with the solo. :/

biojuggernaut,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I agree with underdog that there is no need for his units to be turned on 24/7 due to shorter heat up time compared to other log vapes. And these vaporizers are a true piece of art that should be respected by keeping it safe and in good shape.. One day when i have one of these i bet it will become "my precious" :D

underdog

Manufacturer
biojuggernaut said:
Can I see a picture of the power supply by any chance? you say they are adjustable? Also when are you getting in your new heatsink/elements? I wouldn't want to put 300 bucks out on the line to get an outdated unit, I just did that with the solo. :/

You can see a picture of the variable power supply on the website under Catalog>Accessories, ah, you know what I'll just post the pic in case anyone else is interested too.
4b18b01d5f2a49d8ee140eaf19ddf912.jpg

Not sure when we'll be rolling out the new cores as we're still in revision with the shop that is working on them, once we decide on a final revision then we'll do a production run, then we'll decide on whether to go straight to market with them or if beta-testing will be necessary. I'd like to imagine we might have the first batch come from production in 4-6 weeks but I'm a notoriously optimistic Underdog so.. :rolleyes: I can totally sympathize and feel the same way myself about plunking down a few grand or more on this new core development! Anyways, if you do end up buying something from us and want to move to an updated core model at some point there's always our upgrade path where we buy back your piece (@ 50%-75% of the retail price) and credit that towards your Underdog account so at least you're not totally stuck.

Abysmal Vapor said:
I agree with underdog that there is no need for his units to be turned on 24/7 due to shorter heat up time compared to other log vapes. And these vaporizers are a true piece of art that should be respected by keeping it safe and in good shape.. One day when i have one of these i bet it will become "my precious" :D

Thanks Abysmal! I go through a period when I first make them where they're all "my precious" to the point that it's sometimes hard to sell them! Oh and great avatar, best. game. ever. I still remember the dang extra-life code after all these years!

Abysmal Vapor

Haha i remember many things like extra-life codes :) >> Love arcades ... Still remember all mortal kombat 1.2.3 fatalities and other finishes :) i even once visualized some of arcade heroes on Salvia..... LOL...
Still love 8-bit music :) .

I have a question about that new updated core :) .. What is going to be the expected difference between the current and the new heat core ? Durability?Heat up time? Performance? Health ?
Do you plan on releasing borosilicate stems >?

underdog

Manufacturer
Abysmal Vapor said:
Haha i remember many things like extra-life codes :) >> Love arcades ... Still remember all mortal kombat 1.2.3 fatalities and other finishes :) i even once visualized some of arcade heroes on Salvia..... LOL...
Still love 8-bit music :) .

I have a question about that new updated core :) .. What is going to be the expected difference between the current and the new heat core ? Durability?Heat up time? Performance? Health ?
Do you plan on releasing borosilicate stems >?

Haha I find myself humming theme songs from NES games as I work sometimes.. and it gets me a peculure kinda look from the "old lady" so I guess that's not entirely normal! :lol:

From a functionality stand point I don't expect much different between the new and current core though only more thorough testing will tell. The main reason I'm working on changing to the new one is just a matter of efficiency. Currently I have to spend 1-2 hours in the machine shop for each core I make which is a huge amount of time that I can't be making any bodies and turning my works of art. With the new core I'm hoping to cut back on that machine shop time and transfer it to woodshop time. Also I expect the new cores to be a bit better quality as far as fit'n'finsh is concerned and little things that bug me like occasionally a core for whatever reason doesn't get pressed enough which causes some of the parts inside to rattle slightly... doesn't effect how it works but bugs me and my (never achievable!) desire for perfection haha...

Re: borosilicate stems I don't have any plans to make my own anytime soon but if my pieces gain in popularity some third-party vendor might. I played with them initially and ended up still putting a silicone "adapter" on them because I really liked the way the silicone gets a tight seal so I was kinda like "whats the point" at that point. Maybe I'll try it again someday though who knows. How's that for a vague answer? :lol:

Abysmal Vapor

Thx for answering my questions .. I got all info i needed ... and i love the part with the tight seal with silicone.. Also there will be less to none breakage issues for the stem... I won't compare my dbv in anyway with your vaporizers.. but i paid it almost double having to change broken glass hc and wands,mouthtips, ugly smelly tubing... It's said to be one of the toughest bodies on the market...But every time i brake smth 20-30 $ for new parts + bout that much for delivery...

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

underdog

Manufacturer
biojuggernaut said:
the only downside I see to the silicon stem is that vaporbonging is no-longer hands free.

If you gave me an idea of the setup I imagine I could think of some kinda solution... :ninja:

underdog,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Abysmal Vapor

Hmm Glass stem gong :) ? Somekind of adapter like the Supreme vaporizer orange thing. Thicker silicon stem.. May be 2-3 sleeves in one so it does not bend . Glass on glass adapter like the dbv and ssv. You can release models that are good for vape bonging (low weight , small dimensions,i can imagine some of the models like the cebil twig will work fine for that)

underdog

Manufacturer
Abysmal Vapor said:
Hmm Glass stem gong :) ? Somekind of adapter like the Supreme vaporizer orange thing. Thicker silicon stem.. May be 2-3 sleeves in one so it does not bend . Glass on glass adapter like the dbv and ssv. You can release models that are good for vape bonging (low weight , small dimensions,i can imagine some of the models like the cebil twig will work fine for that)

Hehe I'm such a bong newb that I can't really imagine what you mean.. but I can do light weight and small dimensions, I've made a few probably 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the twigs. What size tube do you need to have to hook up to?

Top Bottom