• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Tools for Finding the Perfect Temp

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Got back from ice cream and sure enough, it was waiting for me at the doorstep.
Plugged it in for the initial charge, took a fat dab the old fashioned way, and looking forward to breaking in the temp gun tonight.

I love great tasting dabs and I hate the lack of precision I got with a timer. As such I pretty much only use my quarts for cold starts and SiC with enails. This will give me the confidence to torch more regularly without fear of chazzing and hot dabs.

I have a handful of setups to try with this, much of 710's offerings, regular and deep dish, regular, round, hybrid, titty bangers from ESB, ruby pearls and quartz inserts. I don't have any ruby inserts yet, but will be ordering ASAP.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
It won't let me edit the last post, but DAMN this is next level!
Dialing in my temps, I am finding I prefer to begin a little higher than my enail settings.

I am also needing to adjust higher for larger dabs, but all in all my quartz looks fabulous!
With no chazzing nor hot dabs, I'm much more confident in using more expensive bangers.

Dabrite is so simple, been so easy to adjust, and appears to be spot on precise. It is a little pricey and a little bling, but it fucking works and even has separate settings for clear versus opaque bottom quartz. LOTS more testing to do, will report later!

MikeRotchHertz

I recently purchased the terpometer and have been very happy with it. I tried pointing an IR gun initially, but the terpometer is easier to just leave in the banger until it shows ready.

The build quality is nice and the exterior is silicone to deter concentrate stickiness. I have been rolling with the opaque bottom gavels lately, and they are unforgiving if you use the wrong temp and require extensive cleaning, so the overall investment of ~$100 was totally worth it!

MegaMan2k

Curious if dab rite can measure temp of inserts like sapphire or ruby?
I dont use it with an insert regularly because i dont like the insert that i have, but the times that i did it did seem to work pretty well

@FlyingLow

Happy to hear ur having a good experience with the dabrite :rockon:
I think you paid almost half of what i did 😅

Also fun to see a bunch of people on here starting to enjoy the torch again after using e-nails for years
And lots of folks realizing they actually prefer that slightly higher temp with torch since it started high and then falls during the rip, instead of being locked in completely.

exact same "revolution" i went thru when i started using thermometers 1 year ago
Torch (without meter) > Enail > back to torch (with meter)

To me there is no question, i def get a nicer more enjoyable effect from my torch setup over the enail

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I do also, but I admit I miss uptemp dabs that I used to get with SiC by pre-torching the carb cap before a draw.

I also find the temp, while PRECISE, is also somewhat subjective to how much you glob on with each dab.

What temp do you have your alarm set for?
I am at 560 currently, but find I am dropping closer to 600 to completely finish a big dab and leave just a slightly wet bottom.

I also find I do not like and I avoid re-heating, unlike when I am cold starting.

FlyingLow,

MegaMan2k

@FlyingLow I agree

Distance between sensor and dish will also slightly affect the reading.
I set mine at the width of my index finger, but if its further away than that it will read lower than what it is, or closer a bit higher.

My alarm-temp is set to 580 and i put in the oil at 560ish, and start inhaling around i suppose 540-550
I avoid re-heats completely, if i fuck something up and go in way to cold id rather just clean the banger and put in a new one and try again.

(This is for my Halen banger, It does seem like the Long Jawn needs a higher reading to get the same result as Halen, probably due to thicker quartz?)

MegaMan2k,
Reactions: FlyingLow

HyDrOpOnIc1987

I'm in Canada and am having a hard time getting those deathrattle dabs that everyone seems to love lol i tried cold start and traditional hot start, but same underwhelming issue. Dont do a ton of concentrates so my tolerance to them should be fairly minimal. Would one of the temp guns help? I use a fairly decent sized torch (culinary) so it should get up to temp without issue. I am using a cheapo banger though as I don't want to invest until I know I like dabbing... does it sound like a temp gun would help, or am I just doing something wrong?

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I'm in Canada and am having a hard time getting those deathrattle dabs that everyone seems to love lol i tried cold start and traditional hot start, but same underwhelming issue. Dont do a ton of concentrates so my tolerance to them should be fairly minimal. Would one of the temp guns help? I use a fairly decent sized torch (culinary) so it should get up to temp without issue. I am using a cheapo banger though as I don't want to invest until I know I like dabbing... does it sound like a temp gun would help, or am I just doing something wrong?

Can you give us a detailed description of your rig/equipment, and a detailed description (step-by-step) of how you "dab"? I think that would be helpful for us to figure out what's going on. Pictures would be helpful, of course.

Glorg

There’s cheap bangers that are absolute trash and a higher tier of cheap banger that’s actually good but those generally run 40-60$ at shops in my areas, real quality ones are 200+, so that’s a big factor in a quality dab same obviously with hash quality. For temps tools the terpometer is a great affordable option but a dabrite wins when it comes to barrel based bangers like terp slurpers and such as you can point the laser on the side column really easily. Terpometer is also good for testing 510 and enails vs a laser, both have pros and cons but any temp tool is better then none 100%.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
IMO they are immensely helpful.
Always able to zero in on the perfect temp.

If your material vapes real fast and leaves dry residue on the banger floor, let it cool a little further before dabbing. If left with a huge puddle, hit a higher temp.
Bump up or down in 5 or 10 degree increments and you can get really precise with finding the right temp for you.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Here's an interesting one

Yo I am looking into maybe getting one of these finally, from Curated Flame since they have this and terpometer, had considered terp timer from vgoodiez previously, but what is pushing me is that I want a dab mat from CF that would be free if I buy the pocket temper or the terpometer from them... My glass collection deserves more connoisseur level dabbing now lol

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Ramahs

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I had been using a Dipwand (Amazon version of Terpometer) for a while, I recently added a Dab Rite Pro to my setup and am absolutely in love! What a perfect little setup, dabs are tastier because I’m getting my target more reliably, and the whole process is just more enjoyable. Will not dab without it now!

ETA: I don’t know if there were any sensor or programming changes for the Pro, but I imagine the color screen isn’t much of a game changer. But I do think the dunk alarm is, I can’t recall for certain off top of head but I think this was one of the main differences. The dunk alarm is worth some money for sure, maybe not double, but I am definitely happy that mine has it!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I did end up getting the pocket temper a while ago, honestly not sure how useful it is, I mean it can give a sense of the temp, depending on the banger, but perhaps not the most ideal design though it is interesting at least even if it's not ultimately that beneficial

Shit Snacks,
Top Bottom