Titanium or stainless

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Allergies aside, I think it comes down to use case. Titanium heats faster and cools faster. Stainless takes longer but holds the heat better.

With a single flame torch, I prefer a titanium Dynavap tip. Less wasted vapor with the quick heat up/cool down. With my IH, the titanium tip heats so fast, the load often gets scorched so it’s the SS tip all the way.

Sure I could have the heater tuned for Ti tips but it’s horses for courses as far as I’m concerned.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
For Dynavap tips I agree with what others have said to a t. I prefer a ti tip. The quicker heat up time lends itself to smaller, smoother hits in my experience.

For just a material in the vapor path I think both realistically perform pretty equally from a taste perspective. I guess I've never tried to back-to-back a SS M condenser with a ti condenser, but aside from whatever taste the two might impart from contact with your tongue or lips I wouldn't think they would affect the taste of the vapor unless dirty--both are non-reactive metals, no?

Last edited:

Planck

believes in Dog
i love SS because i can put it in a dishwasher. if it is real SS there came no rust.

i did it with the complete Dynavap + Hopper Frontends too with no problems ;)

thats why i prefer SS always:rofl:
Titanium is much more resistant to corrosion than Stainless steel.
I don't see any particular need for corrosion resistance beyond that of SS in our application though. :lol:

FWIW Dynavap uses Grade 316 Stainless steel, better corrosion resistance than Grade 304 commonly used for cookware and most things from stainless steel.

cliffhanger1

I don't see any particular need for corrosion resistance beyond that of SS in our application though. :lol:

FWIW Dynavap uses Grade 316 Stainless steel, better corrosion resistance than Grade 304 commonly used for cookware and most things from stainless steel.
However, titanium usually becomes dull and thus damaged in the dishwasher

cliffhanger1,

howie105

Lifted from: https://melisa.org/titanium/

Blood based testing may give an more accurate measurement of titanium reactions than patch testing. Titanium particles are too large to penetrate the skin and the relationship between skin sensitivity and systemic hypersensitivity is ill-defined. The Mayo Clinic conducted a decade of patch testing and found no positive reactions to titanium despite published cases of titanium hypersensitivity.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
^Exactly. Are all these Ti tests heating it red hot or are they talking about the polished joints and swiss cheese "golf clubs" used for hip replacements etc...? (that's what my buddy calls em, he's had both hips replaced twice already at 54 cuz of ileitis at 14 yo and the massive doses of Prednisone that destroyed his cartilage.)

cliffhanger1

However, titanium usually becomes dull and thus damaged in the dishwasher

Sorry @Planck You are definitely right.

I had aluminum in my head and I totally mixed it up. I take everything back :rolleyes:

but somehow I always prefer stainless steel

Planck

believes in Dog
So stainless depending on grade can cause nickel issues in people allergic to nickel which is a large % of the population apparently.
Here's a couple of papers if anyone is interested.
The first is behind a paywall (fuckers) the abstract is available and states in part.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02652039709374506 said:
An extensive programme of cooking operations, using household recipes, has shown that, apart from aberrant values associated with new pans on first use, the contribution made by 19% Cr/9% Ni stainless steel cooking utensils to chromium and nickel in the diet is negligible.

This paper from the U.S. National Library of Medicine is available in it's entirety.
The sidebar has links to a number of papers on related topics

I always prefer stainless steel
No worries mate. FWIW I don't have any titanium, it failed my cost benefit analyses. YMMV:cheers:

arb

Semi shaved ape
Here's a couple of papers if anyone is interested.
The first is behind a paywall (fuckers) the abstract is available and states in part.

This paper from the U.S. National Library of Medicine is available in it's entirety.
The sidebar has links to a number of papers on related topics

No worries mate. FWIW I don't have any titanium, it failed my cost benefit analyses. YMMV:cheers:
Pans don't glow or oxidize like coils do.
I do some smithing and have some familiarity with metal fume and its related health concerns.
A lot of it is abstract and is more of a concern in a industrial setting.
I use kanthal coils in a couple 510 units and they definitely glow.......high aluminum content and definitely hot enough to be a perceived health concern I reckon time will tell for me there?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
If it is the best stainless steel it should probably be the best then? I guess not all our created equally unfortunately and who knows with alloys, yeah I never wanted to torch screens clean because they turn black, does not seem good at all lol

I've also been told that titanium is extremely damaging to the environment, the whole process of extracting and producing it, and I'm not sure what benefits it really has aside from being lighter weight and faster to cool off than SS?? My minimal research!

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: arb
Top Bottom