• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Wim Hof Method Thread

Select the statement which is the best fit.

• I have tried the Wim Hof Method, and I feel benefits from it.

• I have tried the Wim Hof Method, and I don't feel any benefits or negative effects from it.

• I have tried the Wim Hof Method, and I feel negative effects from it.

• I have not tried the Wim Hof Method.

Results are only viewable after voting.

acolyte

Tried this a few days ago. Have been doing it daily. WoW what a difference in my quality of life so far.

I have something like severe depression, stress, tensions, chronic fatigue, brain fog, insomnia... the kinda shit doctors cannot figure out. Have tried countless fixes. I likely have asthma (wheezing, cough, shortness of breath). It has made it difficult to work, I've been worried about losing my job.

After trying the method, I realized two things:
- It's really hard for me to breathe through my nose
- This feels really really good, maybe I'm short on air

Later I watched this video, which convinced me that breathing through the nose is very important:

I've been breathing through my nose the last 3 days. At first it was very difficult, and it's still difficult in the morning. I have swollen nasal turbinates (not sure if due to allergies or what but I've quit vaping and they persist).

But the amazing thing is, after I told myself I must start breathing through my nose, my passages started getting wider. It seems when you don't use your nose to breathe much, the passages swell up (kinda like a piercing). So it's a vicious cycle.

@ginolicious I have also often struggled with breath and meditation... the first time I tried this one, I couldn't breathe fast enough, I just did it as fast as I could through my nose to inhale, then breathed out through my mouth. It also makes my nose burn after a while. Not sure what your issues are, but after what I have experienced, I would encourage you to try to consciously only breathe through your nose, even if it's difficult for a while.

Best of luck.

ginolicious

@acolyte funny you say that about nose breathing. I am such a nose breather. Never out of my mouth haha. When my nose cloggs I hate it. Also why I can’t snorkel or SCUBA.

ginolicious,
Reactions: Xclerk

acolyte

Heh, just shows everyone is different and has their own path to find :D

The older I get, the more I realize that generic advice is harmful. Deep context is required to find solutions. I will say that I'm now a true believer in breath as a pillar of health, and I hope anyone finding this thread can resolve their breath issues.

acolyte,
Reactions: vapirtoo

EverythingsHazy

Tried this a few days ago. Have been doing it daily. WoW what a difference in my quality of life so far.

I have something like severe depression, stress, tensions, chronic fatigue, brain fog, insomnia... the kinda shit doctors cannot figure out. Have tried countless fixes. I likely have asthma (wheezing, cough, shortness of breath). It has made it difficult to work, I've been worried about losing my job.

After trying the method, I realized two things:
- It's really hard for me to breathe through my nose
- This feels really really good, maybe I'm short on air

Later I watched this video, which convinced me that breathing through the nose is very important:

I've been breathing through my nose the last 3 days. At first it was very difficult, and it's still difficult in the morning. I have swollen nasal turbinates (not sure if due to allergies or what but I've quit vaping and they persist).

But the amazing thing is, after I told myself I must start breathing through my nose, my passages started getting wider. It seems when you don't use your nose to breathe much, the passages swell up (kinda like a piercing). So it's a vicious cycle.

@ginolicious I have also often struggled with breath and meditation... the first time I tried this one, I couldn't breathe fast enough, I just did it as fast as I could through my nose to inhale, then breathed out through my mouth. It also makes my nose burn after a while. Not sure what your issues are, but after what I have experienced, I would encourage you to try to consciously only breathe through your nose, even if it's difficult for a while.

Best of luck.
Even though there is a benefit to doing the cold water exposure right after the breath work (it has to do with blood pH and cannabinoid release), I have also found a benefit to doing some cold water exposure prior to the breath work, even if you decide to go back in for a second dose of cold, right after. The cold water, opens up your nasal passages, which makes thebreath work much easier.

Even so, I tend to alternate between mouth breaths and nose breaths, during the breath work, either 5:5, or 10:10, going for a total of 40, ending with a minimum of 5 nose breaths before the exhale breath hold.

I have also increased from 3 rounds, to 5 (though I 'll do 3 if I don't feel like doing breath work for 20+ minutes), and I notice a stronger lasting effect.

I have spnt the last week or so doing cold shower, follwed by 5 rounds of breath work, follwed immediately, by 10 minutes of silent mediation. I notice a huge decrease in stress and anxiety throughout the day, as well as an increased level of self awareness.

I do want to do go back to doing ice baths righgt after the breath work, but I still notice great benefits doing the breath work after a quick cold shower, followed by a round of meditation.

In my experience, the meditation is definitely a key component of the method.

Lastly, doing all of this while fasted for 14+ hours makes the breath work feel much more powerful.

EverythingsHazy,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
I likely have asthma ...

i watched that Joe Rogan interview and bought the Kindle of Nestor's book.

i would add an anecdote from my experience … i developed adult onset asthma about 20 years ago. Johns Hopkins said i should take Advair for-fucking-ever. i don't do meds (yet, but at 72, who knows what's coming). What i learned from internet searching was that i wasn't exhaling enough, because the need to breathe in was so frantic/strong. i made a point to fully exhale first, and my asthma went away. And i could do aerobics again - which i couldn't do even with an inhaler. Aerobics has been my god for 38 years - when that stops something has got to change.

Allergies and inflammation went away when i went low carb/healthy fat nutrition program. two years ago. lost 4 pants sizes, too.

Hippie Dickie,
Reactions: acolyte

acolyte

i watched that Joe Rogan interview and bought the Kindle of Nestor's book.

i would add an anecdote from my experience … i developed adult onset asthma about 20 years ago. Johns Hopkins said i should take Advair for-fucking-ever. i don't do meds (yet, but at 72, who knows what's coming). What i learned from internet searching was that i wasn't exhaling enough, because the need to breathe in was so frantic/strong. i made a point to fully exhale first, and my asthma went away. And i could do aerobics again - which i couldn't do even with an inhaler. Aerobics has been my god for 38 years - when that stops something has got to change.

Allergies and inflammation went away when i went low carb/healthy fat nutrition program. two years ago. lost 4 pants sizes, too.
Thanks for your contribution. I've found that exhaling fully helps me as well, I tend to take slow breaths, but I often don't exhale enough. I believe that the exhale activates the parasympathetic nervous system (relaxation system), so a prolonged and full exhale will calm the system down. I have noticed that I don't feel as tight in the chest when I exhale fully.

Those daily meds suck... I read an anecdote in the book "How Not to Die" (vegan diet book written by a doctor with tons of scientific sourcing). He says that doctors will often sugar-coat the optimal treatment plans because american patients will not follow the guidance that will really help them (I'm american by the way).

An example is "How many grams of sugar should I eat per day?" Realistically, if you're healthy, who cares. But if you're diabetic and overweight, it should be ZERO GRAMS. But that will turn off too many patients, who will think "why bother trying", so the doctor will say "20 grams". Meanwhile, if you're actually disciplined and willing to sacrifice to improve your health, you're left miseducated.

Lifestyle changes are the solution to so many health problems but they're much more difficult than taking a pill. Make you last longer though.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
An example is "How many grams of sugar should I eat per day?" Realistically, if you're healthy, who cares. But if you're diabetic and overweight, it should be ZERO GRAMS. But that will turn off too many patients, who will think "why bother trying", so the doctor will say "20 grams". Meanwhile, if you're actually disciplined and willing to sacrifice to improve your health, you're left miseducated.

Lifestyle changes are the solution to so many health problems but they're much more difficult than taking a pill. Make you last longer though.

i definitely agree with this. i gave up sugar Oct 2018 and will never go back to that lifestyle. my daycare when i was sub-6 was a carbohydrate factory - my grandfather was a commercial baker and the donuts and pastries were my staple for many, many years. then it was beer.

lasting longer would be nice (my project list is too long!) but the greatly improved daily health is what keeps me lo-carb. ketones (for fuel) rule!

Hippie Dickie,

Green Kiwi

Thank you for posting the breathing you tube @acolyte .:tup:.My wife Struggles with breathing trough her nose, and as Triathlon athlete that's not ideal for her.

In my personal experience a very good way of getting and after that keeping your nose open en easy to breath trough is: "oil pulling". It's a healthy and efficient way of keeping healthy gums, and this has a huge influence on .......having your nose unblocked.:2c: .
My daily routine is 20 minutes after rising in the morning, while I do some house chores.
Then a rinse with salt water and my nose stay's open for another day.

For people whom don't know what oil pulling is ,just google it, as there are several ways to do it.

Green Kiwi,

acolyte

Oh interesting, I've heard of oil pulling and frankly dismissed at as quackery. But I've never heard it could help with breathing... in a way, that makes sense, perhaps I'll try it.

This morning, my nose was clogged, but less than usual. I think I am starting to breathe through my nose even at night. I may try taping my lips at night soon (small piece of surgical tape just in the center of the lips to discourage, but not prohibit, mouth breathing).

acolyte,

hinglemccringleberry

Day 58! Doing 10 minute ice baths in my backyard, now.
You must have a well paying career lol. 58 days in a row of ice baths would be like $1000... I did it the other day, only used 80 pounds of ice, cost me $20. It was so hot that day that it was all melted by the time I got in. Still cold as fuck though.. still very beneficial.

EverythingsHazy

You must have a well paying career lol. 58 days in a row of ice baths would be like $1000... I did it the other day, only used 80 pounds of ice, cost me $20. It was so hot that day that it was all melted by the time I got in. Still cold as fuck though.. still very beneficial.
Wow! That's a lot of ice! I freeze my own blocks in tupperware, and throw them into a big plastic garbage can filled with hose water. I've been on a bit of a break, but getting back in the swing. Those weren't all ice bath days, though. The beinning was cold showers. Hopefully, I'll have another month of warm weather to do the baths outside, and then after that, the showers should cool down enough to be equally useful, again.

I'm about to do 3 rounds of breathing, right now.

EverythingsHazy,

acolyte

I'm still going strong on the wim hof method :)

Does anyone know if it's safe to do the method multiple times in a day? I recall seeing somewhere on his website that it should only be done once or twice, but now I can't find that information... can't see why it wouldn't be, but I'm a cautious person. So usually I limit myself to twice. But I could see it being nice to do it many many times (whenever I'm having a meltdown)

EverythingsHazy

I'm still going strong on the wim hof method :)

Does anyone know if it's safe to do the method multiple times in a day? I recall seeing somewhere on his website that it should only be done once or twice, but now I can't find that information... can't see why it wouldn't be, but I'm a cautious person. So usually I limit myself to twice. But I could see it being nice to do it many many times (whenever I'm having a meltdown)
I heard him say that you can do a round during the day to quell anxiety as it creeps up. I'm not sure if there is a safe limit.

I have been on a bit of a break, as I've been finding it pretty difficult to force myself to sit through the long breath work, but I'm getting back into it, again. It's hard to sit down and focus on breathing when you're nxious, but that's when it's most needed. I have been hitting a short round or two when I'm getting stressed, though. It's just not as regular as I'd like it to be, again.

Gonna do a few rounds in a couple of minutes.

EverythingsHazy,
Reactions: acolyte

acolyte

I experience the same thing... I know it's good for me but can't bring myself to do it ;)

Really seems harmful to ignore my needs like that.. one thing that helped me was writing down a specific morning routine that I do in the same order every day, without thinking... once I'm resigned to doing it, it seems easy.

EverythingsHazy

I experience the same thing... I know it's good for me but can't bring myself to do it ;)

Really seems harmful to ignore my needs like that.. one thing that helped me was writing down a specific morning routine that I do in the same order every day, without thinking... once I'm resigned to doing it, it seems easy.
I agree with getting things into a regular schedule. It helps you form positive habits, which tend to become easier over time.

I also find that after the first round. it becomes much easier to do another 2-4 of them. The nervous energy sharply drops with each round, making the next one easier. If you can force yourself to just do one round, and then give yourself the option to decide from there, without guilt, you may find yourself able to complete a whole session, more often than not.

EverythingsHazy

Getting back into it, little by little, now that it's cold out, and the water is cold, too. Long, cold bike rides are very meditative. They start ouit pretty stressful, but then the cold stops beig much of a discomfort, and you have a pretty free mind.

mephisto

Been doing the breathing exercises almost daily. Usually 3 rounds first thing sitting at my desk at work. I notice the calm, centered mind lasting for most of my day. Stopped with the cold showers, too many ice baths as a child.

EverythingsHazy

Been doing the breathing exercises almost daily. Usually 3 rounds first thing sitting at my desk at work. I notice the calm, centered mind lasting for most of my day. Stopped with the cold showers, too many ice baths as a child.
Yes! I notice the same feeling throughout the day, as well. I'm gonna be going back to 3 rounds again, soon. 5 was great, too, but takes a while, so it can be hard to do every day.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Stopped with the cold showers
this is my new thing - ending every shower with 10 breaths on the back and 10 breaths on the front ... just to see what happens ... now i want to work up to 15 & 15 and do the exhale-hold as my first round. might be interesting to try Wim Hof on shrooms.

Hippie Dickie,

EverythingsHazy

this is my new thing - ending every shower with 10 breaths on the back and 10 breaths on the front ... just to see what happens ... now i want to work up to 15 & 15 and do the exhale-hold as my first round. might be interesting to try Wim Hof on shrooms.
Awesome! I hope you like it. I would recommend doing the breathing before the shower, though, as it can have some effects which cause the cold water to trigger a release of endocannabinoids, as well as reducing the pain receptors, which makes the cold more tolerable. Also, be extremely careful doing the breathing IN the shower, as you can faint.

I've never tried it on shrooms, but on Cannabis, it can blast you to space. Especially the portion where you inhale and pressurize your torso, at the end. It can feel like you just blast off into what I would assume is similar to certain psychedelic headspaces.

He was on tv this morning teaching people to breathe. He is something else truly. But I could never do it my lungs are fucked.
TBH, even just listening to him talk about his practices, or giving a tour of his land/home, is relaxing, while meditating. He seems to be one of the few people who have achieved a great deal of inner peace and happiness, and who also cares to share his success and well being with the world. I always find myself smiling while listening to him speak. It's a quality that is quite rare in people.

mephisto

The vibe you speak of emanates through this thread as well. Thanks for paving the way.

mephisto,
Top Bottom