The Wim Hof Method Thread

Select the statement which is the best fit.

• I have tried the Wim Hof Method, and I feel benefits from it.

• I have tried the Wim Hof Method, and I don't feel any benefits or negative effects from it.

• I have tried the Wim Hof Method, and I feel negative effects from it.

• I have not tried the Wim Hof Method.

Results are only viewable after voting.

EverythingsHazy

I made this thread, because I have been practicing the Wim Hof Method 12 days ago, every morning and almost every night, and have been feeling great, so I wanted to share the method with you guys, and hear some of your thoughts.

If you already know about the Wim Hof Method, feel free to share your experiences with it.

For those of you who are unaware of what the Wim Hof Method is, here is some information (be sure to watch all of the videos before trying the method, for safety reasons):

Wim Hof is a 60 year old, Dutch athlete. His ability to endure and embrace extreme cold have earned him the nickname "The Iceman".

The Wim Hof Method is a combination of three "pillars": Breathwork, Cold Exposure, & Commitment (patience, dedication, and focus)

There are courses you can take to learn the method from a certified instructor, but there is plenty of free information online, as well.

My WHM Routine Summary:
1. 3-4 rounds of WH breathing (specific combination of hyperventilation and breath holding)
2. Max pushups (optional)
3. Cold Water Exposure (contrast shower starting and ending cold [morning], or just a few minutes cold water [night])
4. Meditation for 10 minutes

Possible benefits of practicing the WHM:
1. Reduced inflammation
2. Reduced stress
3. Improved sleep quality
4. Increased willpower
5. Improved cold tolerance
6. Overall mental health improvement
7. Altitude sickness mitigation
8. Asthma / Arthritis management
9. COPD management
10. Increased immune system effectiveness

Here are a few videos which I recommend watching, for anyone interested in trying the WHM:

How To do the WHM Safely:

Breathing Technique Instructions:

Guided Breathing (3 rounds, 30 breaths):

Immune System Effects:

Doctor Explanation of the Physiological Effects:

ginolicious

Wow!!! I was wondering when this would get posted. Russel Brand does it a lot with him and has videos with him.

seems very difficult to do. Scares me to do since breathing hurts me regardless.

EverythingsHazy

Wow!!! I was wondering when this would get posted. Russel Brand does it a lot with him and has videos with him.

seems very difficult to do. Scares me to do since breathing hurts me regardless.
It's truly fascinating stuff. I'm always skeptical of anything health related, until I've done a lot of research, and this is no different. I've spent a decent chunk of time, over the last two weeks researching the WHM, and practicing it myself. So far, I am very pleased with my findings/results.

I've seen a few of his videos with Russel Brand. They're both interesting people.

If you do decide to try it out, remember that a key principle of the WHM is that you should never force your body, and that you should tune in to how you feel, so you don't push too far. You may want to check with a doctor, first, as well, and make sure you watch all of the videos that I linked.

hafalump

I have a steady yogic pranayama practice. Breath holding etc. The benefits are tremendous.
I am a cold wimp though, you won’t catch me in a cold shower voluntarily. Other yoga, physical and meditation are key too.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i have been doing WHM as part of my morning calisthenics routine for a few weeks. i am an aerobics fanatic anyway, so it fits my mindset. i like the part about cranking up the immune system to heal, by activating the adrenal system without stimulating the production of cortisol. i plan to pursue it for a while.

additional videos on YouTube to check out: Vice did an episode where two of the reporters did the Wim Hof training and hiked a tall, very cold mountain in Europe in shirts and shorts; also, Joe Rogan #712 interview with Wim Hof.

EverythingsHazy

My girlfriend is huge on it. Sends me all the videos. It’s quite wild. I have lung problems to begin with from scar tissue. Feel breathing and meditation doesn’t work as I can’t do it. Sometimes are better than others though.
I wonder if you would be able to work your way up. Apparently, it can help with asthma and COPD. I'd definitely check with a doctor, though.

I have a steady yogic pranayama practice. Breath holding etc. The benefits are tremendous.
I am a cold wimp though, you won’t catch me in a cold shower voluntarily. Other yoga, physical and meditation are key too.
That's great. I've heard about pranayama, but never really studied or practiced it. I sometimes do 4-7-8 breathing, to calm down.

One thing about the WHM, is that the breathing rounds "prime" your nervous system, so that when you get exposed to cold, right after, your body releases endocannabinoids. The breathing technique also temporarily raises your blood pH, which "turns off" some pain receptors, making the cold more tolerable.

i have been doing WHM as part of my morning calisthenics routine for a few weeks. i am an aerobics fanatic anyway, so it fits my mindset. i like the part about cranking up the immune system to heal, by activating the adrenal system without stimulating the production of cortisol. i plan to pursue it for a while.

additional videos on YouTube to check out: Vice did an episode where two of the reporters did the Wim Hof training and hiked a tall, very cold mountain in Europe in shirts and shorts; also, Joe Rogan #712 interview with Wim Hof.
How do you like it so far?

This Saturday will be 14 days for me, doing it every morning, and so far, every night, except for one. I plan on doing it every morning, and most nights, but not necessarily all, as it is time consuming.

C No Ego

this method is what made me realize how smelly we are and all of our creations like cities ,cars eTC... = smelly Shit! seriously, trying to take that Ah Ha breath moment this day and age while out and about- prepare to receive hydro carbon Exhaust ... another way to describe what I'm saying - conscious breath , conscious breather using breath as a way to center and reflect

EverythingsHazy

i like it so far. kind of subtle but worth pursuing. when i started i could only hold my breath for 30 seconds … i'm up to 70 seconds now. very interesting feeling when the adrenaline kicks in at the end of the hold. i am very curious to see how it progresses.
How long do you hold your breath on the exhale step (feeling vs seconds)? Do you wait until you feel like you're suffocating, and have to breathe, or do take the inhale for the last retention, upon feeling the urge to breath starting to grow.

I've noticed a very strong calming effect, which lasts throughout the entire day. I'm able to resist getting riled up over things that normally annoy me, and I'm also able to catch myself getting upset and calm down much more quickly. I figure that even if it's largely a placebo (though I don't think it is), as long as it has benefits, it's worth it.

this method is what made me realize how smelly we are and all of our creations like cities ,cars eTC... = smelly Shit! seriously, trying to take that Ah Ha breath moment this day and age while out and about- prepare to receive hydro carbon Exhaust ... another way to describe what I'm saying - conscious breath , conscious breather using breath as a way to center and reflect
This is why I try not to bike where there are fewer cars. Sucking up fumes while doing cardio is counterproductive.

I am a Wim Hof disciple.
Honestly my life would be so much more fucked up if I hadn't discovered him...
For how long have you been a WHM practitioner? What's your routine like?

I posted mine in the OP:
1. 3 rounds of WH breathing (specific combination of hyperventilation and breath holding)
3. Cold Water Exposure (contrast shower starting and ending cold [morning], or just a few minutes cold water [night])

EverythingsHazy,
Reactions: C No Ego

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
How long do you hold your breath on the exhale step (feeling vs seconds)? Do you wait until you feel like you're suffocating, and have to breathe, or do take the inhale for the last retention, upon feeling the urge to breath starting to grow.

now up to 70 seconds on the holding after last (30th) exhale - at which point i feel like i'm suffocating and then i take the inhale for last retention - about 40 to 60 seconds. i do three cycles with about 30 seconds between.

my 30 minutes on the NordicTrack mellows me out for the day, and clears my cannabinoid receptors for the day of vaping. i'm hitting up to 103% of my theoretical maximum heart rate, which at 72 years old is 148. sub-60 resting rate.

i feel like the WHM is really cleaning the blood stream. i've been doing low carb, healthy fat for over a year and my systemic inflammation is very low/minimal - plus lost 15 lbs and 4 pants sizes. just started a 22 day abs workout (thanks to Jeff Cavaliere YT video) to try to sculpt a bit. doing body weight calisthenics for the core every other day provides a bit of muscle growth and tone, but not enough human growth hormone at this age to do impressive growth. when i was in high school i would never have believed i would be this fit. i enjoy how it has turned out.

EverythingsHazy

now up to 70 seconds on the holding after last (30th) exhale - at which point i feel like i'm suffocating and then i take the inhale for last retention - about 40 to 60 seconds. i do three cycles with about 30 seconds between.

my 30 minutes on the NordicTrack mellows me out for the day, and clears my cannabinoid receptors for the day of vaping. i'm hitting up to 103% of my theoretical maximum heart rate, which at 72 years old is 148. sub-60 resting rate.

i feel like the WHM is really cleaning the blood stream. i've been doing low carb, healthy fat for over a year and my systemic inflammation is very low/minimal - plus lost 15 lbs and 4 pants sizes. just started a 22 day abs workout (thanks to Jeff Cavaliere YT video) to try to sculpt a bit. doing body weight calisthenics for the core every other day provides a bit of muscle growth and tone, but not enough human growth hormone at this age to do impressive growth. when i was in high school i would never have believed i would be this fit. i enjoy how it has turned out.
That's awesome! I find that doing three breathing cycles, in the morning, sets me up nicely for the rest of the day. I have been trying to do a second set of everything, at night, but I don't do it every day.

Have you tried any cold exposure? I find that the cold showers/baths make a huge difference, as does meditation (I do 10 minutes after the cold water).

EverythingsHazy,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Have you tried any cold exposure?

no, not yet. i may work up to that (if it doesn't cause Opus Dei flashbacks). i see the WHM as being "simply" hyperventilation + stressor to stimulate the immune system. i want to work with the holding-the-breath as the stressor for a while.

i need to be more consistent with my meditation - i do it in the evening after all the chores are done. but sometimes i'm too wound up to get quiet - exactly what the meditation would solve, i know. and when i can be consistent i get results - specifically, my problem solving ability is improved (herb helps with that, too). i try to be in the flow - rarely achieved.

hafalump

Know that even when the mind is active, your meditation is working. Perhaps even more so.
I call these “industrial” meditations. They work behind the scenes de-fragging the brain, re setting the hard drive, discarding useless connections, freeing up space.

C No Ego

Know that even when the mind is active, your meditation is working. Perhaps even more so.
I call these “industrial” meditations. They work behind the scenes de-fragging the brain, re setting the hard drive, discarding useless connections, freeing up space.
as Rasta man says = life is a Daily meditation ...

C No Ego,
Reactions: hafalump

proceeds_the_weedian

Yeah! Started during the run-up to a grappling competition a couple of years ago. Felt like it reduced soreness and sped up recovery, especially after hard sparring. I also felt a difference mentally. Easier to be here now, as it were.
Fell out of the habit when I moved away from my gym, but I will for sure try to get back into it when I move home and start training consistently again. Thanks for reminding me!

hinglemccringleberry

For how long have you been a WHM practitioner? What's your routine like?

I posted mine in the OP:
1. 3 rounds of WH breathing (specific combination of hyperventilation and breath holding)

I first discovered WH via @biohacker on this forum 3 years ago. I've been doing it off and on but started doing it more regularly about a year ago. Every night before bed I try and do anywhere from 1 to 3 rounds. I've been doing cold showers daily for over 3 years as well. Wintertime showers are a doozie but I'm used to it now. Summer time cold showers are a joke. So I do an ice bath every so often in the summer. But I try to take advantage of natural opportunities to get into the cold, like ocean plunges at the beach and getting into lakes in the mountains.
I know the breathing exercises work because they're not easy. Sometimes I go a few days without doing it because doing it correctly every single day long term is hard work. I usually don't even do 3 rounds because after round 1 or 2 I'm passing out for the night. Quality of sleep is noticeably better after doing it. I've noticed all of the mental benefits you mentioned. And this winter was the first winter of my life that I didn't get sick (knock on wood).

Cool story- one night when I did 3 rounds, I started drifting off to sleep right after the final breath hold. I got into that "in between" state of consciousness where you're not awake, but not in a deep sleep either. And for a few moments, I saw outer space. No joke. I found myself looking at a pink nebula with stars everywhere and black space all around it. It was a very surreal and fleeting moment. It was gone within seconds and I woke back up and said "holy shit!!!!" Wim Hof pried open my 3rd eye...

Last edited:

EverythingsHazy

no, not yet. i may work up to that (if it doesn't cause Opus Dei flashbacks). i see the WHM as being "simply" hyperventilation + stressor to stimulate the immune system. i want to work with the holding-the-breath as the stressor for a while.

i need to be more consistent with my meditation - i do it in the evening after all the chores are done. but sometimes i'm too wound up to get quiet - exactly what the meditation would solve, i know. and when i can be consistent i get results - specifically, my problem solving ability is improved (herb helps with that, too). i try to be in the flow - rarely achieved.
The breath work seems to have noticeable benefits, even by itself. I'm curious if the exhale breath hold works, for triggering the same rush of endocannabinoids produced by getting into cold water, after the breathing rounds.

I know what you mean about meditation. If you're someone like you or me, whose mind gets wound up, i can be difficult to sit silently for an extended period of time. I've been pushing through for the last 17 days, and I notice the same benefits that you mention, though, so it is definitely worth it. I find that even a few minutes, like 3-5, works decently, to start. Using 4-7-8 breathing for the first minute or two helps me get deeper into the meditation, so that I can finish the full 10 minutes

Yeah! Started during the run-up to a grappling competition a couple of years ago. Felt like it reduced soreness and sped up recovery, especially after hard sparring. I also felt a difference mentally. Easier to be here now, as it were.
Fell out of the habit when I moved away from my gym, but I will for sure try to get back into it when I move home and start training consistently again. Thanks for reminding me!
That's great! I do MMA, as well, and I plan on doing 3 rounds of breath work before my next class, when this quarantine is over. I wonder if it will have any effect on the training/competition, if done not too long prior to starting.

I first discovered WH via @biohacker on this forum 3 years ago. I've been doing it off and on but started doing it more regularly about a year ago. Every night before bed I try and do anywhere from 1 to 3 rounds. I've been doing cold showers daily for over 3 years as well. Wintertime showers are a doozie but I'm used to it now. Summer time cold showers are a joke. So I do an ice bath every so often in the summer. But I try to take advantage of natural opportunities to get into the cold, like ocean plunges at the beach and getting into lakes in the mountains.
I know the breathing exercises work because they're not easy. Sometimes I go a few days without doing it because doing it correctly every single day long term is hard work. I usually don't even do 3 rounds because after round 1 or 2 I'm passing out for the night. Quality of sleep is noticeably better after doing it. I've noticed all of the mental benefits you mentioned. And this winter was the first winter of my life that I didn't get sick (knock on wood).

Cool story- one night when I did 3 rounds, I started drifting off to sleep right after the final breath hold. I got into that "in between" state of consciousness where you're not awake, but not in a deep sleep either. And for a few moments, I saw outer space. No joke. I found myself looking at a pink nebula with stars everywhere and black space all around it. It was a very surreal and fleeting moment. It was gone within seconds and I woke back up and said "holy shit!!!!" Wim Hof pried open my 3rd eye...
I remember that he was talking about it! i actually messaged him, shortly before making this thread, but he hasn't gotten back to me.

Cold showers in the winter are definitely rough. Summer ones are a breeze. I'm gonna try to fill a clean garbage can with water and a few bags of ice, this summer. An ice bath followed by a meditation session in the sun, is gonna be so nice.

I've yet to have any seriously trippy effects, but I definitely feel a unique sense of calm and stillness during the breath holds, and I can hear a high pitched noise combined with a low pitched hum, for a short while afterwards (a couple minutes, usually).

simplywonderful

lol been actively doing this from 2015-16 + cold water and now, when I stopped vaping I realized I dont even need it, just this breathwork + yoga /qi gong since this realization Im selling all my vapes, our body is amazing vehicle, I started with cold showers, traded it for natural pristine streams the water seems to me the same, during winter and also summer :D I used to do pushups in the water stream lol :D It helped me not to care what people think about me, therefore I prefer to go as nature created me

EverythingsHazy

lol been actively doing this from 2015-16 + cold water and now, when I stopped vaping I realized I dont even need it, just this breathwork + yoga /qi gong since this realization Im selling all my vapes, our body is amazing vehicle, I started with cold showers, traded it for natural pristine streams the water seems to me the same, during winter and also summer :D I used to do pushups in the water stream lol :D It helped me not to care what people think about me, therefore I prefer to go as nature created me
Interesting. Are you enjoying vaping anymore?

EverythingsHazy,
Top Bottom