The Toad from Morwood

Electrofever

Yes, I do remember Dan sending a tutorial for using low and high heater. I kind of recall it’s 3 sec of preheat with the high heater and 6 sec for low heater. But I guess it’s more of a general indicator, after it’s up to you to find your sweet spot. It’s all the magic of it :)

fangorn

Hey @Jojofernz !

You're right, it has more of a place here!

I have low heat and high heat.
I absolutely do not regret having bought both.

I think if you can only buy one, the consensus is that the high heater is better.

You can achieve generally the same performance with both, but with more or less restraint or effort.
High heating can be delicious, although I recommend low heating if you are chasing flavors.
low heating can achieve a similar level of extraction to high heating, although high will achieve this more easily.

I like to sip so if I could only have one I would go with the heating on low.
I have used low heating almost exclusively for 18 months
but I've been getting used to the high heating for a few weeks and I'll have a hard time doing without it!

I wasn't expecting that at all, but I use a lot less battery with the heater on high! But I preheat for less time and I do less drawing per load so... that explains it!

does that help you?

Jojofernz

Hey @Jojofernz !

You're right, it has more of a place here!

I have low heat and high heat.
I absolutely do not regret having bought both.

I think if you can only buy one, the consensus is that the high heater is better.

You can achieve generally the same performance with both, but with more or less restraint or effort.
High heating can be delicious, although I recommend low heating if you are chasing flavors.
low heating can achieve a similar level of extraction to high heating, although high will achieve this more easily.

I like to sip so if I could only have one I would go with the heating on low.
I have used low heating almost exclusively for 18 months
but I've been getting used to the high heating for a few weeks and I'll have a hard time doing without it!

I wasn't expecting that at all, but I use a lot less battery with the heater on high! But I preheat for less time and I do less drawing per load so... that explains it!

does that help you?
Yes that absolutely does! Though I’m not sure it makes choosing one easier haha seems like they both have great qualities. Whenever I get the chance to secure one I may have to have both!

fangorn

How quickly does it extract a bowl? And is it easy to use outside, loading and unloading as well?
hey @Durbandream

I think you can do whatever you want with Dan's heater!
but I think it shines when you extract a load between 2 and 4 shots...
But I sometimes extract a load in 7-8-9 strokes... I tend to prefer it!

and for ease of use... it's a stem system that you insert... and which contains the bowl... for me, it's what I prefer in terms of ease of use / practicality. There are simpler things, but if you include cleaning, I don't find anything more practical. I alternate every week between 2 stem glasses. I always have a clean one if I ever get close to burning.

and for me, it’s ultra practical outdoors 😁
J'aime ça !

Every idea starts with a little seed, and mine is pretty obscure.. it's a prop from the movie Ewoks: Battle for Endor.. This was my favourite movie as a kid, and it's had a lasting influence. The whole Star Wars universe is very inspiring to me... same with movies like Bladerunner, Ghost in the Shell, Mad Max... anything with a mix of organic and sci-fi tech.

Anyhow, back to the seed. The Ewoks movie features a power core for a star cruiser as a central prop. In the movie it's framed as a sort of relic, lost for years. Needed to power an outdated heap of junk space ship.

ewoks-the-battle-for-endor-1985-L-iXZ6uG.jpeg

The importance here is the idea of an object that is both futuristic and ancient.

I don't know what to call the vibe, but it's something like.. scavenger futurist. Technology that is advanced to our world, but obsolete in a sci-fi fantasy world. Like a piece of scrap pulled out of the wreckage of a star destroyer that still glows dimly under a veil of dust.

32-sebastians-workshop1.png

SW_binary_sunset.png

181.jpg

snap059419.jpg

rmt6zaraqay99yt62ist.jpg

So what the hell does this all have to do with a vaporizer?!

Like the Okin, I am starting with a feeling, a vibe I want to emulate. The details of the heater will come later, but I do have some rough ideas.

I want it to feel like the vaporizer of a space explorer, something they might have in a canvas belt holster beside their beat up blaster gun.

I want it to feel heavy for it's size, perhaps not pocketable (the Okin is already as pocketable as it gets for me). I want to see some sort of glowing light. Materials will include steel and brass/bronze with aged patina, pitted. Dark wood accents, thick glass or lexan... perhaps some exotic plastics. Perhaps textiles like canvas.

Most likely cylindrical in shape.

by the way about Dan's heating module... the more time passes, the more I like it!

It's definitely my favorite on the market...

and I love that it’s compatible with multiple models!

that means I consider it as an engine... which powers ships... and ships can be sublime... but it remains the engine which is the central work of art...

in his first message on the Nomad thread, Dan talks about what was at the origin of his idea for his vaporizer...
well, the more I read, the more I have the impression that in fact, without knowing it, he was talking about his heating module. I find it disturbing and brilliant!!

am I the only one reading this that way??

Last edited:

Durbandream

hey @Durbandream

I think you can do whatever you want with Dan's heater!
but I think it shines when you extract a load between 2 and 4 shots...
But I sometimes extract a load in 7-8-9 strokes... I tend to prefer it!

and for ease of use... it's a stem system that you insert... and which contains the bowl... for me, it's what I prefer in terms of ease of use / practicality. There are simpler things, but if you include cleaning, I don't find anything more practical. I alternate every week between 2 stem glasses. I always have a clean one if I ever get close to burning.

and for me, it’s ultra practical outdoors 😁
I love that !
Nice, thanks again!

Electrofever

Yes that absolutely does! Though I’m not sure it makes choosing one easier haha seems like they both have great qualities. Whenever I get the chance to secure one I may have to have both!
Both is the way to go ;)

@fangorn, you have me wondering about Dan’s heather. I might have to read the beginning of this thread again, it has been a long time now !

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Check out 508phineas @Vlad the Inhaler light blue cooling stems like the one he made me custom for my toad a while ago, he finally was able to make more and have some available on his website pyrohightech now!

Hagbard Celine

I've been meaning to post pictures of Toad #25 with some custom made wooden stems that Alan (maker of the HI and Toasty Top) made for me about a year or so ago... I do really like the wooden stems that Dan sells with his devices as well, however, I have a pet peeve because I REALLY want to be able to see the loaded end of the stem (I go by visual appearance / color a lot, and I like to stir in between draws). So I had Alan make these stems for me with removable glass tips so that you can easily see into the load. These are in Cocobolo, Maple Burl, and Blackwood...

Also have to mention one caveat with the use of these stems. Because they are a friction fit glass tip, the tip can tend to stick at the rubber o-ring inside the device and can slip off when removing the stem from inside the Toad. Luckily, Alan had made similar stems for me in the past, and I was already aware of this potential. All it takes is a tiny strip of scotch tape on the wood where the tip slips on... just a thin strip, enough so that the glass doesnt break, but keeps the tip from sliding off when being removed. They each needed just a little strip of the tape, and have worked like a charm ever since.

Addition to the above post…always forgetting something…

Notice the slight taper at the end of each of those stems, by design, so that they will work well either direct draw or in a water piece. In fact I’ve used these stems with the Toad, HI, Underdog, & Woodscents now

Reading/Writing are things I have always struggled with so I have been putting this off (sure hope I did the Imgur thing correctly)

BUT

Wow folks I am in love with this device. The simplicity is fascinating and I literally find myself staring at it constantly.

The seamless edges where the wood and wrapping meet fit/finish/design of the button and how you can almost see each previous layer applied in and around the artwork.

I cannot wait to get a tattoo of this little guy
it's so hard to get a good picture of the button without glare/actually doing it justice but these do a decent job capturing some of that Labradorite majesty

https://imgur.com/xc7LifD this was my very first bowl and although wasn't fully extracted, it tasted great the whole time and was satisfied with the vapor production being my first attempt. Figuring out how I want to pack the stem and switching over to the glass stem have been interesting and fun tasks, think I have settled on using the wood stem as a taster and the glass stem with cooling beads for ripping down.

I initially set up the glass stem with the balls too close to the heater and decided after a few bowls it would be a good idea to change the orientation (wasn't even hitting it at the time, should have left it alone lol) of the screens and such, proceeded to pop the screen out towards me and the balls went everywhere, was able to harvest most of them from the floor but I am happy with the amount in the stem

(edit: low heater btw)

I think at this point I am about 15 bowls in and extremely surprised with the battery consumption, plugged the battery into my Neo Prrl last night to charge and it was only down 2/I think 12 bars

I love this piece of art, love staring at it, love the attention it requires to hit, love that I feel a connection to it because of the process, wait and that its one of a kind. It's easily my favorite thing I own now and I will cherish it forever.

Thanks Dan!

fangorn

Reading/Writing are things I have always struggled with so I have been putting this off (sure hope I did the Imgur thing correctly)

BUT

Wow folks I am in love with this device. The simplicity is fascinating and I literally find myself staring at it constantly.

The seamless edges where the wood and wrapping meet fit/finish/design of the button and how you can almost see each previous layer applied in and around the artwork.

it's so hard to get a good picture of the button without glare/actually doing it justice but these do a decent job capturing some of that Labradorite majesty

https://imgur.com/xc7LifD this was my very first bowl and although wasn't fully extracted, it tasted great the whole time and was satisfied with the vapor production being my first attempt. Figuring out how I want to pack the stem and switching over to the glass stem have been interesting and fun tasks, think I have settled on using the wood stem as a taster and the glass stem with cooling beads for ripping down.

I initially set up the glass stem with the balls too close to the heater and decided after a few bowls it would be a good idea to change the orientation (wasn't even hitting it at the time, should have left it alone lol) of the screens and such, proceeded to pop the screen out towards me and the balls went everywhere, was able to harvest most of them from the floor but I am happy with the amount in the stem

I think at this point I am about 15 bowls in and extremely surprised with the battery consumption, plugged the battery into my Neo Prrl last night to charge and it was only down 2/I think 12 bars

I love this piece of art, love staring at it, love the attention it requires to hit, love that I feel a connection to it because of the process, wait and that its one of a kind. It's easily my favorite thing I own now and I will cherish it forever.

Thanks Dan!
well for someone who says they are not comfortable with writing, it was very pleasant to read. and yes, the imgur link works well!
for what it's worth, I rarely have evenly cooked flowers. there are always places that are a little more cooked or a little less cooked... but it's negligible in my opinion...

great to read your experience. I know you've been waiting for a while!
magnificent shot, this wizard toad... it will make a good companion 😁

I wish you both the best possible year 2024 😁

well for someone who says they are not comfortable with writing, it was very pleasant to read. and yes, the imgur link works well!
for what it's worth, I rarely have evenly cooked flowers. there are always places that are a little more cooked or a little less cooked... but it's negligible in my opinion...

great to read your experience. I know you've been waiting for a while!
magnificent shot, this wizard toad... it will make a good companion 😁

I wish you both the best possible year 2024 😁
such kind words, thank you much! :)

right back at you fangorn!!

Jojofernz

BUT

Thanks Dan!
Love the write up and shots!!

Comments like this are what keep me excited about this thing and I know that one day will be well worth the wait! Gorgeous toad you've got there

Hello toad users! I am curious as to the length of time between being assigned to a batch and getting the unit in your hands. Anyone willing to share their experiences?

attackpoints

Hello toad users! I am curious as to the length of time between being assigned to a batch and getting the unit in your hands. Anyone willing to share their experiences?
About 6 months -- batch 5

BUT

Thanks Dan!
Lovely post, you did well for a first bowl! It only becomes easier and more familiar. The battery drain is the only thing I dislike about the Toad. Might be time to invest in some more! Your mystical toad needs the power 😁

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

About 6 months -- batch 5
I'd say this time increased for the later batches. I joined the list in November of 2021, and I have not yet had my batch come up. Although I did get lucky and got a Toad in a lottery not long ago.

attackpoints

I'd say this time increased for the later batches. I joined the list in November of 2021, and I have not yet had my batch come up. Although I did get lucky and got a Toad in a lottery not long ago.
I was measuring from when Dan let me know my name had come up for the batch.

If we're measuring from when I joined the waitlist, it was more like a year and a half. (19 months) Joined the list July 2021, contacted in August 2022 to pick from batch 5, and received my toad in February 2023. I haven't been keeping track, but yeah that timeline does seem to have lengthened a bit.

Duba

Accessory Maker
Approximately 18 months after registration on the waiting list, then 5 months after payment (and allocation of the number, and choice of model).
Maybe the 1st step is longer now if many peaople are registred in the waiting list (i registered in 2021)

I was measuring from when Dan let me know my name had come up for the batch.
Approximately 18 months after registration on the waiting list, then 5 months after payment (and allocation of the number, and choice of model).
Maybe the 1st step is longer now if many peaople are registred in the waiting list (i registered in 2021)
Thanks everybody for chiming in! I ask because I’ve been on the Nomad II list for two and a half years (6/21). When Dan announced the toad he said that Nomad people would be placed on the toad list according to their place on the Nomad list. If this is still the case and I can get one in 6-9 months I may have to email him and try my luck. Getting antsy as I’m 3/4 of the way towards my endgame lineup.

joined the list about mid-21', chose Toad at start of June this year, received last week
What timing! Congrats, enjoy the New Year with your new device!

Duba

Accessory Maker
This one is really neat! congrats and enjoy.

I did the full cleaning (button included) on mine as Dan recommends to do sometimes (about every 6 months) after more than a year of use and I have to say "wow!".
Performance has been exceptional and consistent ever since, to the point where I've wondered if I shouldn't have done it when I first got it, because I have the impression that it has never worked as well as it does now.:)

IMG-20231004-213400.jpg

This one is really neat! congrats and enjoy.

I did the full cleaning (button included) on mine as Dan recommends to do sometimes (about every 6 months) after more than a year of use and I have to say "wow!".
Performance has been exceptional and consistent ever since, to the point where I've wondered if I shouldn't have done it when I first got it, because I have the impression that it has never worked as well as it does now.:)

IMG-20231004-213400.jpg
what a gorgeous Toad, Midnight Edition style wowow
Stem holder o-ring missing?
it absolutely looks like it's missing in the picture, so I immediately picked up my Ancient Magic Toad and sure enough it WAS in there.
I haven't noticed it coming out or off on either stem at all and I tried to get it out and couldn't lol
has to be the lighting in the picture but now my eye is permanently peeled
(edit: after the 8th minute of staring I can tell it's there in the picture but I had to zoom lmao)

Top Bottom