The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

leanpubpackage

I tried to use the VHB 3D (10A/120W PSU) for the tempest and I thought it was too powerful. the induction sleeve was glowing red, but I don’t think it was enough time for the balls to heat soak before the indicators hit the mark I would like it to be at. the wand is way easier and better for heat soaking the balls

half bowl all the way! I almost never go for a second hit (with most devices) because the flavor is so bad

Jojofernz

Found my two ways to enjoy both bowl sizes. I said half bowl for life but had to give full another shot and really enjoying it this week.

Best part of the tempest is how easily and nice it is to use the native stem.

Full bowl with helix tube is perfect for puffing on all that thick vapor or taking huge giant rips. Helix for myself is necessary for full bowl as vapor otherwise becomes too harsh for me.

Half bowl with direct tube. Love the added heat but it’s not too much at half bowl and great flavorful rips. I like to kill this setting in 1-2 hits

ezpz

Full bowl with helix tube is perfect for puffing on all that thick vapor
Echoing this sentiment. I’m really liking the full bowl with MTL hits. I usually start with a short DTL hit (maybe 3-4 secs?), just to get the vapor going, then leisurely puff with MTL hits, then clean up with a DTL hit.

On a wpa with j hook, full bowl gets me wrecked in one giant hit.

I think the only determining factor of whether I go full bowl or half, is how much herb I have left.

TedJones

I’ve been rocking the full bowl lately for quick DTL pulls. Gives me about an average of 3 nice cloud draws. Sometimes less, sometimes more. Also gave the helix another shot. I wasn’t too thrilled first few tries because I was trying to use it same as above. Found by covering the carb, only releasing if necessary, and doing some MTL pulls, produced some nice dense vapor without being hot at all! Might try packing a half bowl pretty tight with this method.
Maybe @Wyrdrock is on to something here. A Tempest XL coming soon to a session near you!
I did predict a bigger bad boy .. perhaps for a 9mm stem :rockon:

TedJones,
Reactions: ezpz

ezpz

I’ve been rocking the full bowl lately for quick DTL pulls. Gives me about an average of 3 nice cloud draws. Sometimes less, sometimes more.
Same here. But for me, after that first huge cloud, my throat gets irritated and I struggle to finish the bowl. Kinda felt like a full bowl was just too much for me. So it makes sense to go half bowl for this style. But, for screen longevity, I don’t want to mess with it too much. Gonna follow @666Honeybadger and @Shorner footsteps and just load less. I usually “stab and twist” to load a bowl and that gives me a nice tight pack. But if I want to do DTL hits (natively), I’ll use the “straw method” to load. This way I can finish the bowl in one hit.

Last edited:

Shorner

Same here. But for me, after that first huge cloud, my throat gets irritated and I struggle to finish the bowl. Kinda felt like a full bowl was just too much for me. So it makes sense to go half bowl for this style. But, for screen longevity, I don’t want to mess with it too much. Gonna follow @666Honeybadger and @Shorner footsteps and just load less. I usually “stab and twist” to load a bowl and that gives me a nice tight pack. But if I want to do DTL hits (natively), I’ll use the “straw method” to load. This way I can finish the bowl in one hit.
I always use the straw method, danger of overpacking when I stab and twist to load.

Shorner,

Jojofernz

I can’t do the straw method haha. I am sometimes sensitive to cannabis particles, so stab and twist is the best, and much easier method in my experience. Especially with a reload I can basically unpack and repack the tempest with nearly one hand.

Jojofernz,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I missed so much! I love the fact its going to take me a day to catch up on the updates :)

More people with Test Units after the tenth mean more people for me to pester for reviews and techniques and Wooden Sleaves!!! Black n blacker... I am excited to see how they handle the heat I put through the Tempest with lots of back to back bowls.

Its funny you go away from something (in and out of hospital) for a few days for a reason that wasn't your choice and you realise just how much FOMO you have about the destination... but "the journey" towards that destination... its been something I have been treasuring, you guys rock.

dtrdrk

What is the diameter of the tip at the end (where the optical temp sensor sits)?

Also, can i still place an order for the 10th? Cant find the option on the page? I did leave a review for my revolve 🤷‍♂️

dtrdrk,

RedZep

I missed so much! I love the fact its going to take me a day to catch up on the updates :)

More people with Test Units after the tenth mean more people for me to pester for reviews and techniques and Wooden Sleaves!!! Black n blacker... I am excited to see how they handle the heat I put through the Tempest with lots of back to back bowls.

Its funny you go away from something (in and out of hospital) for a few days for a reason that wasn't your choice and you realise just how much FOMO you have about the destination... but "the journey" towards that destination... its been something I have been treasuring, you guys rock.
Glad you are back mate. Hope you are recovering well. I've had COVID since 26th. Coughing my lungs up still. So have not used the Tempest for ages. Reading the thread makes me miss it!

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I've had COVID since 26th. Coughing my lungs up still.
Sorry to hear your not doing well, I have watched the old man (girlfriends dad) go through COVID, I hope you got the milder version of the illness as I wouldn't wish the worst of it on my worst enemy. Get well soon mate.

Glad you are back mate. Hope you are recovering well
In truth... I haven't even got to the healing stage yet... I've just been in and out of hospital trying to survive long enough to have surgery in 22 days yes - I am a drama queen... I am not looking forward to the recovery period, to quote the surgeon, "most patients want to stab me right in the heart for at least the first 2 weeks after surgery. The pain can't be understated."

Everyone has a thing, I just have a big mouth :)

So have not used the Tempest for ages. Reading the thread makes me miss it!
This is me too, I went back to where I started to pay less attention and already have a dozen questions for people. I think I will save people from that for the moment though and read things properly.

I was smelling some herb a moment ago and I was thinking about the flavours... When I use it in the devices I am using at the moment, I loose so much of that smell and almost all of the flavour. Not sure if its the materials, the length of the airpath or the water cooling (in one case). I miss the first few breaths of a perfectly heated Tempest** and the flavours of creaming soda, vanilla ice cream and cedar that this herb produces.

Glad you are back mate. Hope you are recovering well. I've had COVID since 26th. Coughing my lungs up still. So have not used the Tempest for ages. Reading the thread makes me miss it!
I don't have a simple excuse for why I am not using the Tempest at the moment...

The last time I used the Tempest... the only thing that saved me from experiencing a new level of the old Dynavap "kiss the dragon" experience, was because I grabbed the device at what I thought was the mouth piece with my thumb and finger while i was talking to my partner, after what might have been a few seconds, I finally felt my fingers burning as I was bringing it towards my face. I got lucky.

My partner implemented a supervision clause for me using any of my devices after that until after surgery :p got to love her.

TedJones

What is the diameter of the tip at the end (where the optical temp sensor sits
From the BFG IH thread, cap diameter:
I’m measuring 15mm on the V3Ti, 14 for the Fusion, and 12 for the Tempest

Might try packing a half bowl pretty tight with this method.
Yep, was marvelous this morning! Although I prefer DTL, will do this when the helix tube is in and save some material!
(in and out of hospital) for a few days
Hope you’re feeling better, welcome back!

grognard3r

For those considering a Tempest on the new drop on/around Jan 10, don't buy one if you love your other vapes. For me, the Tempest takes first place for the reach test (now 9 times out of 10). The Tempest checks all the right boxes: efficient with herb, amazing taste, portable, stealthy, and allows for all kinds of customization. In particular, you can dial in EXACTLY how you like your vapor: thin and tasty or cloudy and super roasted or anything in between. The same goes for how medicated you want to get in one pull (or session). I can become heavily medicated with a half bowl. And I have a super high tolerance.

For a comparison, I got my Venty about the same time as the Tempest. Still, I grab the Tempest. It is more agile and can do more. The Tempest is hands down way more innovative (for portable ball vape tech) to that of the clunky Venty, a buffed up Mighty.

I admit that I had previously held Mad Heaters in high regard (for innovation) before the Tempest release. When I first used the Revolve 2, it blew my mind for its customization capacities. Going back to other vapes, even a Revolve or Venty, is hard for me after the Tempest. No other vape can do what I expect from a vape. (I do scavenge Revolve parts to modify my Tempest, though.)

If you are on the fence about getting a Tempest or not, get off the fence. You won't regret it. I plan on getting a second one: to have a backup. The thought of my Tempest getting busted or lost would be tragic. Also, if I had a second Tempest, I could let one fully cool down while I fire the other one up (if I want back to back sessions).

I like the feel the full Ti setup (i.e. with heat shield). In a prior post, I wrote that the full Tempest setup feels like a Robocop cigar, and I stand by that. It just feels right. In the past, I liked the Revolve with a wood sleeve. But the Tempest design soaks up the heat and feels/looks awesome. I recently experimented my Tempest head with Revolve glass with the black Revolve spiral body. Man, watching that amazing vapor curl up for so long adds to your fun. It can be hypnotic. (Your fingers get super warm in that setup, though.) There is so much space to explore with the Tempest in terms of heat tolerance, how you want your vapor to taste, how you want your stem to look and feel. No other vape brings out taste as well as the Tempest.

If you do get a Tempest, get a Wand if you do not already have one. I am guessing (correct me folks if I am wrong) that most users would agree that the Wand IH is superior, at least for now on today's market, to use with the Tempest.

If you are in the USA, if you plan to get a Tempest, and you do not yet have a Wand, Dynavap is currently having a 24% sale on its accessories until mid-January. I just picked up a backup Wand for under $102.55 and includes shipping.

I am looking forward to seeing how other people react to their Tempests once they get them in their hands. This FC forum is ideal to swap ideas, tips, etc. Peace out.

vaping herbs

Unfortunately, my wallet is not so well filled at the moment, so I'm wondering whether I should buy the "pre-release" or wait until the "final release".

vaping herbs,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Unfortunately, my wallet is not so well filled at the moment, so I'm wondering whether I should buy the "pre-release" or wait until the "final release".
I love the Tempest and I think most people would and so I often say to people that the presale is the same as the final minus a few parts you can pick up on final release for about 20 pounds.

BUT, if getting the Tempest was going to stop me from being able to buy something important or pay my bills I would wait until the final release, it will be worth the wait and you would have to stress about that next bill and you wont have to take apart the cap to install the missing components (which is apparently easy - but still something to consider)

I don't know, I am unemployed so I get the whole FOMO vs Wallet dilemma

VapingYogi,

grognard3r

I love the Tempest and I think most people would and so I often say to people that the presale is the same as the final minus a few parts you can pick up on final release for about 20 pounds.

BUT, if getting the Tempest was going to stop me from being able to buy something important or pay my bills I would wait until the final release, it will be worth the wait and you would have to stress about that next bill and you wont have to take apart the cap to install the missing components (which is apparently easy - but still something to consider)

I don't know, I am unemployed so I get the whole FOMO vs Wallet dilemma

Wow. That would be a tough call, but I agree with VapingYogi with financial priorities.

I also agree that putting the cap together is not so fun (but totally worth it). It took me 3 or 4 times to get it right, but I have since learned how to only use the Wand and a timer: I now count 10-15 seconds past the point when the Wand stops blinking, so this is about 5-10 seconds before the Wand times out. You do not need the click. Don't let the "unfinished" cap fool you: the Tempest is badass as is. The click is just chrome, and you do not need it to get top quality vapor. I have been using a cap without the calibrated click for a month. The VI is fun to use, watch, and explore, and I look forward to the final version of it, but it is not needed.

From my observations, I can confidently state that if you only started taking in vapor right after the click, the vapor would be rather thin. Yes, it would be tasty, but it would NOT knock you on your ass. If you want the knock-out (single) punch, you really need to at least wait until the Wand light stops blinking (some 10 seconds after the VI runs against the farthest point to the right).

For me, I knew I wanted the Tempest at first sight, so I diligently (and nervously) waited for the November drop. I am glad I took the leap.

Shorner

Don't let the "unfinished" cap fool you: the Tempest is badass as is. The click is just chrome, and you do not need it to get top quality vapor. I have been using a cap without the calibrated click for a month. The VI is fun to use, watch, and explore, and I look forward to the final version of it, but it is not needed.
I agree that once you have the wand settings sorted the VI and clicks are not needed, I doubt very much I will be buying the calibrated click disc kit when its released as I just don't need them, the wand is such a great repeatable experience imo.

Top Bottom