The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

TankeyPankey

I'm a little confused about how exactly the air flow adjustment works. There is the three settings for the air path, but then it sounds like an additional flow openness adjustment in the cap? Does anyone have any pictures on what that looks like?

It sounds like some are having issues with adjusting it, so I'm curious.

TankeyPankey,
Reactions: VapingYogi
I'm a little confused about how exactly the air flow adjustment works. There is the three settings for the air path, but then it sounds like an additional flow openness adjustment in the cap? Does anyone have any pictures on what that looks like?

It sounds like some are having issues with adjusting it, so I'm curious.
It's very easy to adjust, you just turn the middle of the cap

mcscruffy

Do you touch the cap frequently? Does the cap smell like it?

are you thinking fingers transferring oil?

This is what I was thinking about since I hadn't cleaned the adapter before using (and didn't clean the cap/balls, only the bowl to the mouthpiece), so a couple days ago I took it all back out and cleaned the silicone adapter and the glass piece thoroughly with Dawn and hot water and, after drying, re-inserted into the wand with nitrile gloves on to avoid it.

The smell was significantly less but did present itself again. I was jumping around on things but it was definitely a burning plastic/electrical burning type smell.

I ended up taking the wand apart today, which I wholeheartedly recommend against because the springs for the battery connector are a massive PITA even with appropriate tools to get back in place, btw. Anyway, I looked it up and down and took a bunch of pictures and there was some indication of a scorch near the PCB where the coil is soldered on, but that likely happened during the soldering process.

Beyond that I saw nothing of note, really. No melted plastic or any signs of burning or anything on the circuit board swelling or shorting. I put it back together and took care to seat all parts well including the sensor placement you can see behind the glass in the chamber and just tested it out dry heating the Tempest cap a few times. So far, there has been no return of the smell.

No clue if anything I did helped that but either way it seems to be gone now and I will take the W.

I have a bunch of close ups of the internals of the Wand but don't think that's appropriate to share in the context of this thread so lmk if anyone is interested and maybe I will add to a thread for it.

Edit: Also worth noting that the first time the smell happened is when I had the Wand set to 750F. Right now I'm around 560 letting it go til timeout and earlier after reassembling had it at 620 then 600 stopping at blinking. I love watching the indicator but now I know where I like it to peak out at for temps I want to dial the wand settings in to match that perfectly so I don't need to keep an eye on it the first round of heating.

I turned mine down to the 590 F temp, but still get the smell, and also see smoke or vapor drifting from it, I think it could be the silicone? Right now I have 1 of the rings from the skull kandy insert. Prob been 15 heat ups since the switch and it still happens. I'll prob switch back to the one he sent with the Tempest and test that one a little more

mcscruffy

I turned mine down to the 590 F temp, but still get the smell, and also see smoke or vapor drifting from it, I think it could be the silicone? Right now I have 1 of the rings from the skull kandy insert. Prob been 15 heat ups since the switch and it still happens. I'll prob switch back to the one he sent with the Tempest and test that one a little more
Did you try cleaning the silicone and the glass and reinserting with something to keep oils off? I also wiped the outside of the induction layer because I bet it had a lot of natural oil on it from all the times I touched it trying to adjust the cap airflow at the very top instead of realizing when the manual said to gently squeeze and rotate the induction layer that meant... the larger section aka induction layer (instructions were clear, my head wasn't)! I don't know what I was thinking grabbing the end with the heat indicator, after I realized a day or two ago it made life so much easier.

The smell is not one I was used to so it very well could be your own natural oil on the cap or that got on the glass which the cap is heating up while the Wand is running. It's the only thing that makes sense because I did also have the little smoke puff up at least twice in the last week when I had it on the higher heat settings and was taking the temp indicator to the third line.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Bummed I missed the preorder! I keep checking the site hoping it’s open! I don’t wanna wait u til December!

You didn't miss it, there was pre-release orders is all, not the official pre-order yet as far as I know (this thread moves too quick though so it's possible pre-order started and ended in the last 5+ pages but it's actually only been a few days so I doubt it lol)

bhasma

I did also have the little smoke puff up at least twice in the last week when I had it on the higher heat settings and was taking the temp indicator to the third line.
There shouldn't be smoke, but a wisp of vapour can exit the air intake when fully heated.

bhasma,

grognard3r

I use the StashLogix Alma bag. I really like the form factor and odor blocking but hadn't needed it until now with the others fitting in tubes. I recommend it fully, but you definitely need to wait for it to cool before storing.

I got a couple Alma's direct from their website for $17/ea a couple months ago when they were on sale.

This pic* also does a better job of showing the green but still not quite accurate. It looks amazing!
I am new here, but I am a fan of Mad Heaters and eagerly await the Tempest release. The wait is horrible, isn't it?

One cheap and effective way to create a tube to hold the Tempest (or any thin device like a BB9 or longer glass straw):

1. buy PVC pipe, 2 caps for it, and cut it to the desired length.
2. glue one cap to create a bottom. Screw the other cap on and off to access your device. In most cases you can just pull the cap on/off without threads.
3. get creative with paint/spray paint and/or Mad Heaters or Dynavap stickers to spice up your magic storage.
***I paint the on/off cap one particular COLOR the same on all my tubes. If you are not careful, your device could crash onto the ground through your hands/fingers if you do not hold your storage the right way. That would be bad if you had a glass sleeve. It's happened to me.

I think PVC can withstand rather high temps, perhaps for the Tempest if you needed to stash it after about 30 seconds of cooldown. I am not the kind of person to test that out, though. Some of you might enjoy that.

Another cool thing to do with PVC pipe is create an "on the go" ABV spittoon. If you make it right, you can blow the ABV out down the tube without having to dig/dislodge with any tool. Just a burst of your breath is usually enough to dislodge the spent material, if even that is needed. A mild tap usually suffices.

Here are some further tips to make the ABV spittoon:
1. cut your PVC a good bit longer than usual,
say about half the length of your forearm. The longer the tube, the less blowback there will be.
2. glue the bottom cap on and paint or decorate it so you know to hold that side down forever afterwards.
I add Mad Heaters and Dynavap stickers oriented so that I know which side is right side up.

The orientation of the stickers helps me know to knock the ABV tube the right way, which means hold your ABV stick so the top cap is facing towards the sky (still closed). In knocking the tube one or two times against your palm, you knock the ABV down to the bottom, too. If you do not take this knocking step first, you run the risk of spilling a lot of ABV all over yourself when you take the cap off. Naturally, empty out your ABV whenever you can (like into a larger glass jar) when you return home from your outside adventures. I also drop a small packet of silica gel down the spittoon to keep my ABV dry. (It's a big deal to keep it dry if you use it later in cooking.)

I hope those ideas come in useful in some way to someone. I have never had a problem with overhearing a Dynavap tip in PVC. In fact, I use the PVC stash tube to facilitate discretion/quick storage (if needed).

grognard3r,

bhasma

I am new here, but I am a fan of Mad Heaters and eagerly await the Tempest release. The wait is horrible, isn't it?

One cheap and effective way to create a tube to hold the Tempest (or any thin device like a BB9 or longer glass straw):

1. buy PVC pipe, 2 caps for it, and cut it to the desired length.
2. glue one cap to create a bottom. Screw the other cap on and off to access your device. In most cases you can just pull the cap on/off without threads.
3. get creative with paint/spray paint and/or Mad Heaters or Dynavap stickers to spice up your magic storage.
***I paint the on/off cap one particular COLOR the same on all my tubes. If you are not careful, your device could crash onto the ground through your hands/fingers if you do not hold your storage the right way. That would be bad if you had a glass sleeve. It's happened to me.

I think PVC can withstand rather high temps, perhaps for the Tempest if you needed to stash it after about 30 seconds of cooldown. I am not the kind of person to test that out, though. Some of you might enjoy that.

Another cool thing to do with PVC pipe is create an "on the go" ABV spittoon. If you make it right, you can blow the ABV out down the tube without having to dig/dislodge with any tool. Just a burst of your breath is usually enough to dislodge the spent material, if even that is needed. A mild tap usually suffices.

Here are some further tips to make the ABV spittoon:
1. cut your PVC a good bit longer than usual,
say about half the length of your forearm. The longer the tube, the less blowback there will be.
2. glue the bottom cap on and paint or decorate it so you know to hold that side down forever afterwards.
I add Mad Heaters and Dynavap stickers oriented so that I know which side is right side up.

The orientation of the stickers helps me know to knock the ABV tube the right way, which means hold your ABV stick so the top cap is facing towards the sky (still closed). In knocking the tube one or two times against your palm, you knock the ABV down to the bottom, too. If you do not take this knocking step first, you run the risk of spilling a lot of ABV all over yourself when you take the cap off. Naturally, empty out your ABV whenever you can (like into a larger glass jar) when you return home from your outside adventures. I also drop a small packet of silica gel down the spittoon to keep my ABV dry. (It's a big deal to keep it dry if you use it later in cooking.)

I hope those ideas come in useful in some way to someone. I have never had a problem with overhearing a Dynavap tip in PVC. In fact, I use the PVC stash tube to facilitate discretion/quick storage (if needed).
PVC has a melting point from 100°C to 260°C (depending on additives) typically around 160°C, with decomposition at 140°C releasing toxic fumes. So I'm not sure that PVC is a good idea for the Tempest. And the Reload is very convenient for debowling. Welcome to FC :)

mcscruffy

PVC has a melting point from 100°C to 260°C (depending on additives) typically around 160°C, with decomposition at 140°C releasing toxic fumes. So I'm not sure that PVC is a good idea for the Tempest. And the Reload is very convenient for debowling. Welcome to FC :)
This is good info! Anyone who's used the Tempest-Reload combo will agree on the last part as well. It is excellent for decapping and I love using it to twist the cap on until it starts to spin on the magnet (magnet tight I think was the term?). It is a perfect seal but loose enough you don't have to get the cap over to the grooves that hold it in place when removing the hot cap to debowl... I have difficulty with that sometimes due to the magnet's strength and decided the magnet method would keep both items in better condition longer.

On the storage, I really don't mind no tube for the Tempest in that Stashlogix bag. Their bags do a great job of concealing the smell and they look nice. The Tempest fits in there really well with its siblings and I went until today before my first cleaning to see how long it would go before the taste was too bad. I didn't get to that point but it was losing a lot of that clean flavor and 4 days is longer than I usually go between iso soaks. Anyway, the Tempest cap contains any scent pretty well on its own. I haven't really been able to smell it when not in use.

I just tried some concentrate in it for the first time and I continue to be impressed though getting less surprised! 😄 Concentrate was the main reason I was thinking about getting some balls with better heat retention. I did 3 heat cycles but was still done in less than 5 minutes packing to debowled. I haven't touched any other devices since getting this, it is so fun... I hope all of you planning to get one have good experiences as well!

Night yall

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
@RedZep did you do a teardown video? was thinking, every person who gets the Tempest (regardless of kit) will need to take the Tempest apart, clean it (as per the instructions) and then reconstruct it. I was just wondering if anyone had done a video of the tear down process or the reconstruction process for those people who have two left thumbs?

Yes I am asking because my test kit just arrived and I was taking it apart and... *laughs* I was holding it like it was precious and I would some how break it, break titanium *shakes head*... I was being so gentle the radiator and heat shield didn't want to come apart, I could see them moving but I hesitated because I didn't want to break it... I am still laughing at myself.. its apart, I took the one o-ring that isn't iso safe - just out of habit and its (about to be thrown) in a bath of of ISO to get it cleaned up.

Anyway... I just thought someone who hasn't had a Revolve, might get confused as to how to take it apart or put it back together and a little video intro would be useful... something for later... that... and the basics of using the wand, emptying and reloading when hot etc.

Also, @Brenyo just wondering about maintenance, that o-ring inside the cooling unit where the helix tube slots in, my (non-mechanical brain) wonders how often that one might need to be changed? it doesn't look like its in the airpath itself so I guess it shouldn't really get to dirty so it should have a longish life span.

Billazoot

I’ve been watching this thread for a while and thought I’d make an account to join in.

I think this vape is exactly what I’m looking for to end my VAS.

I initially bought an Anvil after hearing John describe it as a hard hitting convection vape. Now, I’ve used a lot of vapes. A lot. The Anvil is not a convection dominant vape. It’s an incredibly powerful hybrid with a notable conduction/radiation signature not present in my convection dominant vapes. It’s actually a lot like another powerful hybrid, my supreme v3.5. Very similar signature. I love the anvil for this reason and I’m actually glad it wasn’t as described and is a mini supreme. But it has obviously left me still looking for a proper convection vape in this form factor. I like convection through the day and hybrid or conduction in the evenings.

Got the TA in the first drop, now this is where it’s at. This has a proper convection dominant signature with a very slight bit of conduction. It’s what I thought the anvil would be. Great partner device for the anvil. It’s just a bit basic? In terms of lacking heating indicators, and the screen to retain the balls is secure but never fully confidence inspiring. Top drawer device though. Credit to piggie.

So then I saw this, and the more I read the more it seems like the perfect device for me. Solves all my issues. And man, that bimetallic coil being used as a temp gradient. That is crazy innovative. Allows both the one hitters and the vapman style hitters to have a good idea of temp. Can see that being copied fast! I imagine it’ll hit very similar to the TA, with maybe some extra conduction? Perfect for me.

Anyway thanks to everyone providing info, and thanks to @Brenyo for spreading their wings and being more than just another DV accessory manufacturer. You guys have got a big chunk of the market ready and waiting to be claimed. Can’t wait to get my hands on one!

Top Bottom