The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Beansuppa

Just checking my tracking, saying expected delivery isn’t for over 2 weeks til December 7th.

Gonna be a long two weeks. I’m gonna try to stay the hell away from this place cause seeing all this discussion and photos and usage! Makes me want mine in hand right now!

Enjoy your tempest everyone. Gonna really try not to be around til I can give my own word on the tempest after it arrives
Yeah same. I find the tracking for overseas to be pretty squirrely...when I ordered my Revolve 2, it said it was sitting somewhere in Europe for days, then all of a sudden, without updating, it was at my door (I'm in the US).

Gonna be a long couple weeks but I'm super excited.

RedZep

Thought I would write an update on how I'm finding Tempest, and how opinions/usage has changed after almost 2 months of use.

I'll start with what's different. I've since been in possession of secondary cooling unit (SCU). It has more of an effect than you would think considering it's size. You do notice a marked effect in cooling. After using it solidly for a week, I've since went back to using without for flower. I find the slight improvement in airflow to be worth it, as I find the vapour comfortable this way. When I'm using hash native I always add the spiral.

I'm doing low temp hits more often. I'm very happy with how it extracts at lower temps. You pretty much find that it doesn't need a follow up. Even adding AVB to other vapes you can't get much out of it. This is first time I've experienced thorough low temp extraction with these kinds of vapes (DV, Anvil etc). When I'm doing low temp hits I like to switch to glass stem, which is a marginal increase in taste, but considering the ease of changing out the sleeve, the marginal gain is worth the effort. I don't feel glass the sleeve is a requirement as TI stem tastes great also. But if you have it why not swap it in/out. Low temp hits are also nice in a J-hook.

I'm using it with J-hook often now also. For a few reasons. It lowers use of TI stem, and subsequent cleaning. It adds more variation. It's a lovely j-hook vape. I find I will have it in J-hook mode most the day while working, for periodic one off hits then switch to TI native stem if I want to do a prolonged session in the evening. I'm using dynavap BB3 stem as WPA and enjoy the small carb that doesn't need to be covered, as it adds just the perfect amount of air. I intend to buy BB6 so I can apply the wand while it's docked with the J-hook.

I've started doing chained bowls with IH, and even without tuned VI I'm getting great results. I would maybe change my previous opinion about how users ought to use torch also to get maximum versatility. My opinion now if that if you really care about keeping your tip free of torch blemishes, you will still be able to use the device to its fullest. I'm still glad I have the torch option, even if it's just as a fallback while my batteries are charging, or to have packed on a two day hike along with batteries.

I've took it out the house more and more. Now it's winter, having the jacket pocket space for the wand is easy. It's great as a portable vape, as often I don't associate portable vapes with vapour satisfaction. So the Tempest bucks that trend in my experiences. I've also took it to a gathering, where at one point I heated up 4 back to back bowls, passing to a new person each time. It was easy to reload/reheat for them, and I didn't need to give any instructions other than to toke away. People were very impressed and were asking what it's called and where to buy etc.

Now for what has stayed the same. Still my most used vape. It's settled into what I thought it would, a daily beater. The ease of cleaning is becoming a much bigger strength as the months roll on. There is nothing about the vape that creates friction or annoyance with regards to using heavily every single day, and getting it cleaned ready for use again. Nothing I would change in its design. Although I admit a larger bowl as a future option would be nice, especially considering how easy it is to swap out the tip.

Smknbud

I'm doing low temp hits more often. I'm very happy with how it extracts at lower temps.
Out of curiosity, and hopefully not redundant if you already answered it, but what are you considering low temp(s)? I've been hovering around the 600 F/ 315 C to 625 F/ 330 C range on the Wand and pretty happy.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
That looks excellent. That has raised my anticipation level. Not like it wasn't already way up there. Do you have a link to that WPA? Is that the one from Rogue? I have been looking forward to not needing the water, but I'm sure I will want it in some cases.
I'm using it with J-hook often now also. For a few reasons. It lowers use of TI stem, and subsequent cleaning. It adds more variation. It's a lovely j-hook vape. I find I will have it in J-hook mode most the day while working, for periodic one off hits then switch to TI native stem if I want to do a prolonged session in the evening.
So you are pulling the head off and connecting it to your J Hook like the post above on that glass WPA?

Last edited:

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Looking at the cap for the Tempest, I'm wondering if there is a chance it would be able to be used with the Thermal Accumulator stem and bowl. Looks like the threading may be similar.
It has a different threading unfortunately :(

HumbleLivings

Those clouds kept coming and coming!!!
yeah MisterHyde,
they did and this was at a lower temp on wand 490F
still testing I might do some more videos, with different stems, and different glass
as I test The Mighty Tempest some more!

Flavor was really good with glass wpa (even with a whip lol) but even better without the whip
which I did try as well. ✌️

RedZep

Out of curiosity, and hopefully not redundant if you already answered it, but what are you considering low temp(s)? I've been hovering around the 600 F/ 315 C to 625 F/ 330 C range on the Wand and pretty happy.
Sorry I still don't use time out settings. I time my wand cycle manually with my wrist watch. I'm used to timing tea and coffee infusions that way. I enjoy being able to change it up easily depending on desired roast level. For light roast I have wand maxed out, and heat for around 33 seconds.
That looks excellent. That has raised my anticipation level. Not like it wasn't already way up there. Do you have a link to that WPA? Is that the one from Rogue? I have been looking forward to not needing the water, but I'm sure I will want it in some cases.

So you are pulling the head off and connecting it to your J Hook like the post above on that glass WPA?
Yeah the bowl/head connects to any Dynavap stems/accessories. I happened to have a BB3 lying around. I was going to buy a pure WPA but after using I find the tiby airport on the BB3/6/9 stems to be an advantage over them. I will say that I still don't like the Tempest in water. Large water pieces are overkill, and small water pieces offer little cooling over a textured J-hook. The J-hook has superior taste and airflow also compared to any water piece.

HaggisHunter

Hey @Brenyo , received mine today.
It looks amazing, looks and feels like a high end product, it's also a superb weight in the hand. Can't wait to really get into it.
My wife doesn't partake at all, but she thought it looked cool too.

I fancied anodising mine before I use it.
The cap that holds the balls etc, is the lower part of that titanium?
If it is, does it actually come apart from the upper section?
I haven't taken the cap apart but if it does come apart to that level, I'll strip it down before I attempt to colour it.

I take it it's ok to give the cap an initial clean without taking it all apart?

I've already cleaned everything in iso and rinsed in hot water, it's all drying on the radiator at the moment.

One last question, that pom bearing in the mouthpiece, can that be removed?

Thanks in advance.

HaggisHunter,
Reactions: Brenyo

Brenyo

Manufacturer
The cap that holds the balls etc, is the lower part of that titanium?
If it is, does it actually come apart from the upper section?
Please check the picture and the video I posted yesterday to see how it comes apart. The SS tube slides off, however it’s slightly oval so you want to pinch it at a specific point so make it round and then it pulls off easily. The VI that I marked with a red arrow is also Ti.

I take it it's ok to give the cap an initial clean without taking it all apart?
Yes, just do an empty bowl heat up before use to make sure it’s completely dry.

One last question, that pom bearing in the mouthpiece, can that be removed?
It can be but it’s not easy and you can damage it so not recommended.

Last edited:

Pgnciousd

It has a different threading unfortunately :(
Totally understood. If you happen to get PPs ear. It would be great to get in touch with him about the possibility of a replacement cap (sent a couple dms). Either way looking forward to my tempest/reload shipment updates. I own just about every version of this form factor other than MH and I knew it was only a matter of time.

Thanks bud

Pgnciousd,

HaggisHunter

Please check the picture and the video I posted yesterday to see how it comes apart. The SS tube slides off, however it’s slightly oval so you want to pinch it at a specific point so make it round and then it pulls off easily. The VI that I marked with a red arrow is also Ti.

Superb mate thanks very much, that's all very helpful.
I saw the video yesterday so that's a huge help too, just wasn't sure if the lower part of the cap was able to be stripped down.

I think I'll leave it all till tomorrow so I can do a better job of it rather than rush it this evening.

Appreciated bud, have a good evening.

HaggisHunter,

HumbleLivings

Im still thinking if im in the honeymoon period or not :D:lol:
I dont know if this is because i like the hash, but it gets dirty relatively fast (with a heavy use). A good tip for this: dont disassemble the stem if it is not to clean it :lol:
Yeah mine I have been using exclusively with flower and I was wondering why my fingers were sticky, reclaim was coming out of stem carb hole, and mouth piece so I have to clean it, thats why I kinda moved over to glass wpa,

with wpa alot more flavor and will be easier to clean (in all fairness its not hard to clean the Tempest stem) but it is easier with glass wpa
more testing is needed though

great videos as always bro! ✌️

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
20231121-170932.jpg

RedZep

Im still thinking if im in the honeymoon period or not :D:lol:
I dont know if this is because i like the hash, but it gets dirty relatively fast (with a heavy use). A good tip for this: dont disassemble the stem if it is not to clean it :lol:
Yeah no idea when I can officially say honeymoon period is over. I'm already at the point where I'm using it automatically sometimes without barely looking at it. Hard to tell when it ends, when you don't stop constantly using it

I find device stays really clean with flower. Not sure how long people are going in-between cleaning, but I go every 2 days. It's so easy to clean, may as well do it often. I found like you that hash use makes it really dirty. I clean device same day after using hash.

You may have covered this already but I can't resist asking. Is that particular color going to be one of the final ones? I like that green much better than what is shown in the gallery.

CrookedEyedCuban,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I look forward to you providing some comparisons

not sure how long people are going in-between cleaning, but I go every 2 days.
I forgot to for the whole first week, It wasn't until I put the tip/cap on a WPA I realized my mistake... I don't use the native Anvil body much or even most of my DV stems, its usually WPA and glass... which is in a way a really good idea of just how good the stem actually is

Yeah the bowl/head connects to any Dynavap stems/accessories. I happened to have a BB3 lying around. I was going to buy a pure WPA but after using I find the tiby airport on the BB3/6/9 stems to be an advantage over them. I will say that I still don't like the Tempest in water. Large water pieces are overkill, and small water pieces offer little cooling over a textured J-hook. The J-hook has superior taste and airflow also compared to any water piece.
I am using an Elevate JHook and a wood WPA, I prefer the wood over the BB even with the shot/having to remove it, just because its so much more compact and like a old pipe (aesthetics are important Afterall)

I have to admit the Jhook and glass gets hotter than the Native stem

Although I admit a larger bowl as a future option would be nice, especially considering how easy it is to swap out the tip.
When you pack the bowl full (proper full), how much tamping do you do? have you weighed how much you pack into the bowl? How do you find it affects the airflow? does it effect the consistency of the roast?

You have had this device for so long its great to see its still getting so much use

I will play around myself as well but just wondered about your experience and why you are leaning towards a larget bow? I find that the half bowl is my preferred setting (but I haven't moved the mesh I just pack it half full) - which surprises me as I used 0.3g on average in my ball vapes.

Its interesting how people use it differently, I like 300c, its ideal for me and multiple back to back bowls as I have a feel for how that heats up the device now. It will be fun seeing what happens with real clicks and VI and how off I am in my heating process.

Anyway, enough from me

Last edited:

RedZep

I look forward to you providing some comparisons

I forgot to for the whole first week, It wasn't until I put the tip/cap on a WPA I realized my mistake... I don't use the native Anvil body much or even most of my DV stems, its usually WPA and glass... which is in a way a really good idea of just how good the stem actually is

I am using an Elevate JHook and a wood WPA, I prefer the wood over the BB even with the shot/having to remove it, just because its so much more compact and like a old pipe (aesthetics are important Afterall)

I have to admit the Jhook and glass gets hotter than the Native stem

When you pack the bowl full (proper full), how much tamping do you do? have you weighed how much you pack into the bowl? How do you find it affects the airflow? does it effect the consistency of the roast?

You have had this device for so long its great to see its still getting so much use

I will play around myself as well but just wondered about your experience and why you are leaning towards a larget bow? I find that the half bowl is my preferred setting (but I haven't moved the mesh I just pack it half full) - which surprises me as I used 0.3g on average in my ball vapes.

Its interesting how people use it differently, I like 300c, its ideal for me and multiple back to back bowls as I have a feel for how that heats up the device now. It will be fun seeing what happens with real clicks and VI and how off I am in my heating process.

Anyway, enough from me
Yeah you can go much longer without cleaning. I just find cleaning so easy that I find I'm keeping very on top of it. More so than any vape I've ever used.

Yeah stem is cooler than J-hook.

I pack the bowl full each time. Get great airflow. Once or twice I've over stuffed it, and airflow suffered. I was still able to vape, but I didn't like the effort required.

To be clear I'm quite certain the 0.15g will be my most used, even if a 0.2g is released. I just like having options.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Yeah you can go much longer without cleaning. I just find cleaning so easy that I find I'm keeping very on top of it. More so than any vape I've ever used.

Yeah stem is cooler than J-hook.

I pack the bowl full each time. Get great airflow. Once or twice I've over stuffed it, and airflow suffered. I was still able to vape, but I didn't like the effort required.

To be clear I'm quite certain the 0.15g will be my most used, even if a 0.2g is released. I just like having options.
I’ve been playing around with half setting for flower, specifically because I got this really beautiful smelling flower, it a single long draw, full of flavour and vapour... and as the flovour ends... the vapour ends.... half bowl with a (smokey) glass sleave feels like a good combination for flavour chasing.

I was curious - because I don't pack the bowl full - exactly how much I was putting in the bowl. I pack the bowl with an average of 0.09g (because my scale only goes to 2 decimal places it could be anywhere between 0.09g-0.1g. Its the perfect amount level to be able to drop a little drop of concentrate on top only I have to do two heats to clear the bowl completely (still using low temps).

I got out my concentrates + hash/cotton/dynacoil/concentrate pads to try that as I have been putting off because I know I will have to clean more often which is such a waste of good vaping time...

Last edited:
Top Bottom