The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
The Aroma-3 grinder by old mate is great for the Tempest, I find, its a medium only but, love the bearing and threadless-ness.

The Tempest - a month later....

I realized that since I have had the Tempest, I have actually been using more herb than usual... it has to do with more than one thing, I have a surgery January that I am trying to keep it together for before Xmas, but also I have actually - actively - been trying to make up scenarios to see how far I can push the Tempest... anything I can think of really... its been fun (and a required distraction).

I keep reading people saying they never combust - or don't combust that often - I pretty much combust every day - I do think I might be putting more bowls through each day than most people, and I do many bowls in a row - not trying to be competitive, I am just stuck in place at times and I don't have the luxury of waiting for my device to cool down. Before the Tempest, I used to have multiple devices lined up - packed - ready to be used - and I would use them all one after another, then pack them all, and do it again. If it was just dynavaps for example I would have at least 5 out at a time, pack them all, then use them one after the other...

However, since I got the beta device on the 14th November, the Tempest won the reach test each time even missing missing clicks/vi....

I went from using 5 devices, to trying to make the beta Tempest do >5 bowls in a row and without a way to tell the temperature, at some stage in that process I end up combusting, its mostly scorched bowls (my kingdom for some click/discs and a calibrated indicator :p) for the most part I would be successful, get my 5 bowls or so and just enjoy puffing away while talking to my partner or watching something. Its reliable enough that I choose to have the 5 bowls in the Tempest over 2 bowls in my desktop system because of the efficiency and the experience.... AND I can do it on the couch near my partner.

My point really, is that the beta Tempest, without the temperature control features has become my most used device.

When I can take my hot Tempest (70c-100c) and hot swap the herbs and manage to reheat it without combusting repeatedly, the few devices that haven't already been packed away, that are just hanging around in the living room for when I can't use the Tempest - are going the be put into the display case with everything else.

What kills me is that days before I found out the Tempest existed I bought some expensive dynavap stuff and it arrived in the mail on the 2nd of November... the Tempest as I said arrived on the 14th of November... I still haven't removed the 1/2 of the order, including a dynavap stem, tip, cap and FMJ from the package it was sent to me in...

I don't believe there will ever be one device to rule them all and I will always have desktop systems, a concentrate system, a battery portable and a manual portable... but at times there is something that stands out... and at the moment, and for the last month, even in the face of all the purchases that came before it, The Tempest is winning the reach test again and again and again.

Other than needing a wooden sleave because the Titanium gets to hot to hold when doing as many bowls as I do in a sitting, and the times I visit the MAD Heaters Tempest Accessories collection, I am not finding myself looking and what's "coming soon" in the vape shops I follow like I usually would.

EDIT: may have gone overboard as I have been writting this for an hour so feel free to "report it" and get it deleted if inappropriate...

Last edited:

Jojofernz

The Aroma-3 grinder by old mate is great for the Tempest, I find, its a medium only but, love the bearing and threadless-ness.

I realized that since I have had the Tempest, I have actually been using more herb than usual... it has to do with more than one thing, I have a surgery January that I am trying to keep it together for before Xmas, but also I have actually - actively - been trying to make up scenarios to see how far I can push the Tempest... anything I can think of really... its been fun (and a required distraction).

I keep reading people saying they never combust - or don't combust that often - I pretty much combust every day - I do think I might be putting more bowls through each day than most people, and I do many bowls in a row - not trying to be competitive, I am just stuck in place at times and I don't have the luxury of waiting for my device to cool down. Before the Tempest, I used to have multiple devices lined up - packed - ready to be used - and I would use them all one after another, then pack them all, and do it again. If it was just dynavaps for example I would have at least 5 out at a time, pack them all, then use them one after the other...

However, since I got the beta device on the 14th November, the Tempest won the reach test each time even missing missing clicks/vi....

I went from using 5 devices, to trying to make the beta Tempest do >5 bowls in a row and without a way to tell the temperature, at some stage in that process I end up combusting, its mostly scorched bowls (my kingdom for some click/discs and a calibrated indicator :p) for the most part I would be successful, get my 5 bowls or so and just enjoy puffing away while talking to my partner or watching something. Its reliable enough that I choose to have the 5 bowls in the Tempest over 2 bowls in my desktop system because of the efficiency and the experience.... AND I can do it on the couch near my partner.

My point really, is that the beta Tempest, without the temperature control features has become my most used device.

When I can take my hot Tempest (70c-100c) and hot swap the herbs and manage to reheat it without combusting repeatedly, the few devices that haven't already been packed away, that are just hanging around in the living room for when I can't use the Tempest - are going the be put into the display case with everything else.

What kills me is that days before I found out the Tempest existed I bought some expensive dynavap stuff and it arrived in the mail on the 2nd of November... the Tempest as I said arrived on the 14th of November... I still haven't removed the 1/2 of the order, including a dynavap stem, tip, cap and FMJ from the package it was sent to me in...

I don't believe there will ever be one device to rule them all and I will always have desktop systems, a concentrate system, a battery portable and a manual portable, but I really like the ritual with the Tempest be it native or on a WPA, I like that I can get medicated using the Tempest and I love the fact I can use it in the same room as my partner.

Other than needing a wooden sleave because the Titanium gets to hot to hold when doing as many bowls as I do in a sitting, I am really enjoying this device and I am not finding myself looking and what's "coming soon" in the vape shops I follow like I usually would.

EDIT: may have gone overboard as I have been writting this for an hour so feel free to "report it" and get it deleted if inappropriate...
I find I am also going through more bud with the tempest.

This thing is such a blast to use and experiment with. Being home all day yesterday I lost count of how many times I ran it. Was able to get multiple back to backs with it. Watching the VI is the best thing really, perfect for those reheats. Mine at least seems really well calibrated to get repeated results.

Every day I been considering my other vapes but always end up using the Tempest because it’s just such a joy to use, easy to do back to back, great flavor and super enjoyable effects.

This thing is a winner and I’ve only had it a week

RedZep

I find I am also going through more bud with the tempest.

This thing is such a blast to use and experiment with. Being home all day yesterday I lost count of how many times I ran it. Was able to get multiple back to backs with it. Watching the VI is the best thing really, perfect for those reheats. Mine at least seems really well calibrated to get repeated results.

Every day I been considering my other vapes but always end up using the Tempest because it’s just such a joy to use, easy to do back to back, great flavor and super enjoyable effects.

This thing is a winner and I’ve only had it a week
Tempest has me using more than usual. But I think that's good in my case. I need to use for chronic pain condition. I've had many vapes in the past that became a chore in some way, and I didn't keep on top of medicating myself.

I agree with Tempest being pleasurable, but what's more important to me is zero friction use. Using, refilling, cleaning couldn't be easier.

Jojofernz

Tempest has me using more than usual. But I think that's good in my case. I need to use for chronic pain condition. I've had many vapes in the past tthh
As a fellow medical user, this thing is such a pleasure to work with all day, at home or on the go, and a breeze when paired with the reload.

Other devices I can find myself frustrated or tired of after some time or have to clean more often. And even when cleaning the tempest, one of the simplest to clean and seems to be easy to dry and ready to go again quickly.

I wanna give it more time as I know not everything is perfect but I have almost only good things to say about it for now. Maybe that it has a learning curve but it’s really not that bad, just getting the insert in on the wand right and figuring out your own indicator to preference of hit.

rebelFarmer

I don't believe there will ever be one device to rule them all and I will always have desktop systems, a concentrate system, a battery portable and a manual portable... but at times there is something that stands out... and at the moment, and for the last month, even in the face of all the purchases that came before it, The Tempest is winning the reach test again and again and again.

Other than needing a wooden sleave because the Titanium gets to hot to hold when doing as many bowls as I do in a sitting, and the times I visit the MAD Heaters Tempest Accessories collection, I am not finding myself looking and what's "coming soon" in the vape shops I follow like I usually would.

I liked the post :) I agree with you on all counts, My other vapes need to be put away tbh since the tempest has become my main main squeeze.

As a fellow medical user, this thing is such a pleasure to work with all day, at home or on the go, and a breeze when paired with the reload.

Other devices I can find myself frustrated or tired of after some time or have to clean more often. And even when cleaning the tempest, one of the simplest to clean and seems to be easy to dry and ready to go again quickly.

I wanna give it more time as I know not everything is perfect but I have almost only good things to say about it for now. Maybe that it has a learning curve but it’s really not that bad, just getting the insert in on the wand right and figuring out your own indicator to preference of hit.
Agreed on all counts :)

Plus side is I am getting a lot more avb so much so I increase my jar size for future edibles! And really I should stop and reload sooner each time, its just such a nice experience that I hit a darker roast and cough and I am like 'oh here is the wall'. I never chased flavours like that before!

Anyone else using a different grinder than the mentioned aroma-3 and bcg and really liking it?

Jojofernz

Anyone else using a different grinder than the mentioned aroma-3 and bcg and really liking it?
Flowermill with a medium plate, works really well. I’ve emptied pre rolls in it that are pretty fine and while it works, I find I prefer a little more chunky medium grind. I bet even a coarse grind would work real well but seems to handle most things great.

Haven’t tried whole nug or just picking off the bud yet but gives me another excuse to hit it!

RedZep

Really glad to see you are enjoying it. With regards to combustion, as my VI is also not tuned, and I haven't modified my wand adaptor either, I heat chained bowls in the wand, while I'm drawing on it.

I reload the Tempest (hot) then put it in the wand for about 15 seconds then I start drawing. You can tell when the vapour gets thick enough. First time I tried it it was perfect. Full even extraction. And it's been foolproof for me. Haven't combusted once.

I would prefer a tuned VI, and just being able to see it in the wand. But this technique works really well.

Got the direct tube in….

WARM THICK CLOUDS!

I’m gonna try adding the SCU to see if it helps a bit but yea, Loving it!

Also, The flavor for me was better with helix tube/no SCU….still playing around though!

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm still learning how to manage my Tempest after the first heating if/when I do want additional hits. I have mine on half bowl setting and usually that is all I want at the moment with another moment coming up in maybe 15 minutes. I have only had one borderline combustion so far. I'm getting better at it, and I'm sure soon it will no longer be necessary to grab my TM when my Tempest is too hot, but for now that is working fine.
The more I use it the more competent I become as with anything else. Not being a lover of hot metal or glass, this is not as casual to use a device as other things that don't radiate heat, like the TM. The same thing is true of my Vapcaps (including my Revolves) although they retain heat for a lot less time. This is not a complaint, this is just a design element that needs to be considered with use. Hot metal just takes a little more situational awareness. That doesn't reduce the value or benefits of using this vape. It is just something that can't be ignored.
I am loving my Tempest so far, and I expect that love affair to continue. The wait was worth it and I am quite certain I will want another head to remain on glass. But the Tempest with TI Stem has now become the vape I leave the house with. At least most of the time.

I wanted to add that I have installed the SCU and it makes a noticeable difference on cooling with the stem. It may, however, reduce flavor by a bit...

Last edited:

Jojofernz

I found when I had the SCU in the mouthpiece where it is installed gets hotter than usual, probably the extra metal but it is a cool option to have.

It might be that I only use my Tempest outside, but I haven’t had too much of an issue with the stem getting hot even after 4-5 back to back bowls.

Jojofernz,
Reactions: Shorner

jbm

I’m continuing to run half bowl, helix tube, no SCU, airflow open. Backed the temp down to 590F. Run till second click, still coinciding with Wand light solid. Ran a half-bowl of typ3 cannabis Reddit cut through the Prophet. Very very nice.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
With the half bowl setting, if I get three large hits out of it I have usually exhausted the actives and there is no need to reheat it. If I only took one big hit as a nice bump on my buzz then I may want to heat it again. I have turned down the temp on my wand to 525 Fahrenheit but my clicks come just before and shortly after the light goes solid and I rarely need to go to time out to get the goods.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I haven't even tried a full bowl yet. :p When my buddy gets home from rehab, I will go over there to show him my Tempest and we will exhaust one together. :D

cybrguy,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I overplay the combustion, I mean I do combust daily, but tonight I have done 24 bowls in groups of 3 or 4 and haven't combusted (yet)... oh wait I did earlier, eh whatever it was because I heated it, got distracted, grabbed it and tried to draw but realized it had timed out looong ago, so I reheated it and scorched the bowl as I let it time out again - distracted again. I guess that's all I am saying, click discs to remind this ADHD brain that it was supposed to be paying attention to something...

I'm a medical user PSTD / pain and someone else said it, I would use less than I needed too because I would have to clean the glassware or wait for it to heat up or it was just to small to make a noticeable difference. The fact I can get medicated with the Tempest alone and that I don't have to get reminded to medicate every day - my girlfriend keeps track - has made certian things much better (not my partners bank account).

I would prefer a tuned VI, and just being able to see it in the wand. But this technique works really well.
To clarify @RedZep @Jojofernz @rebelFarmer my VI isn't working, it gets stuck. So by sticking I mean that the VI stays in one place for up to 10 seconds and then bounces forwards a large amount (2-3mm), so on top of being uncalibrated, it isn't functional without the fix...

Brenyo has told me there is a way to get my VI to stop sticking but I am honestly to scared to break something or loose something as I am not a handy person and the tools I tried to buy went out of stock so... it felt like the universe saying "don't try - you'll screw it up"...

it would ruin Christmas if I was to somehow brick my Tempest :(

I apricate the advice on how to use the VI but I can't at the moment :) so I just go by how hot it feels to the touch

Last edited:

RedZep

I overplay the combustion, I mean I do combust daily, but tonight I have done 24 bowls in groups of 3 or 4 and haven't combusted (yet)... oh wait I did earlier, eh whatever it was because I heated it, got distracted, grabbed it and tried to draw but realized it had timed out looong ago, so I reheated it and scorched the bowl as I let it time out again - distracted again. I guess that's all I am saying, click discs to remind this ADHD brain that it was supposed to be paying attention to something...

I'm a medical user PSTD / pain and someone else said it, I would use less than I needed too because I would have to clean the glassware or wait for it to heat up or it was just to small to make a noticeable difference. The fact I can get medicated with the Tempest alone and that I don't have to get reminded to medicate every day - my girlfriend keeps track - has made certian things much better (not my partners bank account).

To clarify @RedZep @Jojofernz @rebelFarmer my VI isn't working, it gets stuck. So by sticking I mean that the VI stays in one place for up to 10 seconds and then bounces forwards a large amount (2-3mm), so on top of being uncalibrated, it isn't functional without the fix...

Brenyo has told me there is a way to get my VI to stop sticking but I am honestly to scared to break something or loose something as I am not a handy person and the tools I tried to buy went out of stock so... it felt like the universe saying "don't try - you'll screw it up"...

it would ruin Christmas if I was to somehow brick my Tempest :(

I apricate the advice on how to use the VI but I can't at the moment :) so I just go by how hot it feels to the touch
Oh I mean I'm not using my VI for reheats. I'm just drawing on device until vapour is thick. Haven't combusted doing this. It will be my technique until I have tuned VI.

RedZep,

kokolokokolokon

i have no time these days so just some words: the tempest keep the top 1 on my vape collection. Love it.
I read people saying they combust. I dont know if it is my fault ay to use it but i just combusted one time when i did a reheat…and the next time i did reheats and i forgot to stop the heating I just left the tempest cooling till the second line of the Vi.

Im trying a combo of 2mm sic balls and 2mm zirc balls….it is weird. While it needs more heating time for the sic, the zirc accumulates a lot of heat and it keep raising the temp after stop heating, so the combo become a easy way to ride the line…but not the way to vape in a lower temp for a longer time as i thought..:D:lol:
Im going to try to combine 2mm balls and 2,5 balls of zirc

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Oh I mean I'm not using my VI for reheats. I'm just drawing on device until vapour is thick. Haven't combusted doing this. It will be my technique until I have tuned VI.
I get you, the "hash" technique we talked about ages ago

VapingYogi,
Reactions: RedZep

RedZep

i have no time these days so just some words: the tempest keep the top 1 on my vape collection. Love it.
I read people saying they combust. I dont know if it is my fault ay to use it but i just combusted one time when i did a reheat…and the next time i did reheats and i forgot to stop the heating I just left the tempest cooling till the second line of the Vi.

Im trying a combo of 2mm sic balls and 2mm zirc balls….it is weird. While it needs more heating time for the sic, the zirc accumulates a lot of heat and it keep raising the temp after stop heating, so the combo become a easy way to ride the line…but not the way to vape in a lower temp for a longer time as i thought..:D:lol:
Im going to try to combine 2mm balls and 2,5 balls of zirc
Have you tried SIC by themselves?

RedZep,

Jojofernz

Popped in the direct intake to take with me for the workday today. And wow it’s a pretty different experience from the helix tube. Felt like it was a different vape!

Warm thick vapor with more pronounced flavor. I like it! But I am a bit sensitive to it, feels closer to actually smoking for sure. I think I prefer the helix tube but I can see myself switching them out periodically for the experience.

Also I’m still playing around with my wand settings. I really think everyone’s wands must be different from one another cause I already see a variance in temps and usage from first bowl to reheats from several members and find different results from those described when I try to follow someone else’s settings.

Right now, with bottom of insert maybe a little past the red silicone, I run at 580f to timeout for first bowl, great roast throughout. Lower temps I was having lighter roast on bottom, or would have to reheat a second time. I find I like killing a bowl with the tempest in one heat, second heat is ok if necessary but flavor is way gone if have to do it. Back to back bowls I let VI go all the way down and down click, then do 580f again but this time I pull just a moment after the blinking stops instead of timeout. This is if I can’t or am too lazy to watch the VI. If I’m watching the VI in the wand I sometimes just set it high and watch the VI get to where I like it.

Torch on the other hand, is an incredibly easy and powerful repeatable experience. Aim at the induction band/layer, I like to spin, and I get it right to the third notch on the VI, big clouds every time.

Can’t stop loving this thing. Even found my fiancé asking for us to use it more when she usually prefers the Terpcicles or lobo. Brilliant product!

TedJones

@Jojofernz what type torch you using? I’ve found about an inch and a half, maybe two, bright blue single flame working well. Tried my triple flame with Tempest horizontal. But kind of awkward spinning that way and the little lighter gets real hot.

Sativapo

Popped in the direct intake to take with me for the workday today. And wow it’s a pretty different experience from the helix tube. Felt like it was a different vape!

Warm thick vapor with more pronounced flavor. I like it! But I am a bit sensitive to it, feels closer to actually smoking for sure. I think I prefer the helix tube but I can see myself switching them out periodically for the experience.

Also I’m still playing around with my wand settings. I really think everyone’s wands must be different from one another cause I already see a variance in temps and usage from first bowl to reheats from several members and find different results from those described when I try to follow someone else’s settings.

Right now, with bottom of insert maybe a little past the red silicone, I run at 580f to timeout for first bowl, great roast throughout. Lower temps I was having lighter roast on bottom, or would have to reheat a second time. I find I like killing a bowl with the tempest in one heat, second heat is ok if necessary but flavor is way gone if have to do it. Back to back bowls I let VI go all the way down and down click, then do 580f again but this time I pull just a moment after the blinking stops instead of timeout. This is if I can’t or am too lazy to watch the VI. If I’m watching the VI in the wand I sometimes just set it high and watch the VI get to where I like it.

Torch on the other hand, is an incredibly easy and powerful repeatable experience. Aim at the induction band/layer, I like to spin, and I get it right to the third notch on the VI, big clouds every time.

Can’t stop loving this thing. Even found my fiancé asking for us to use it more when she usually prefers the Terpcicles or lobo. Brilliant product!
I don't have mine yet waiting for official release but I guess there is more chance that taste, draw speed/ pressure and sensitivity is significantly different between people than wands ?

Top Bottom