Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
@RastaBuddhaTao could do a better job helping people understand how to use the Splinter. He demurs at temperature control, says he's a simple wattage guy. That's fine, but he should reach out for recommendations and publish the consensus.
My guess would be that TC mode has the potential to overpower the unit and or damage it or the mod and Ryan is taking the safe path and discouraging its use for safety reasons. Kind of like George of DynaVap discouraging people from using ISO to clean their VapCaps (knowing perfectly well they will anyway) to avoid responsibility for stupidity (or just bad decisions).
There are so many different mods with different specs and firmware which makes it hard to give instruction that would be at all universal. It is important to remember that 18650s are not big AA batteries and have the potential to misbehave spectacularly. See the warning in my SIG.
My splinter died this weekend,
Awww, sorry. Hope he can get it back to you soon...

Last edited:

analytika

My guess would be that TC mode has the potential to overpower the unit and or damage it or the mod and Ryan is taking the safe path and discouraging its use for safety reasons. Kind of like George of DynaVap discouraging people from using ISO to clean their VapCaps (knowing perfectly well they will anyway) to avoid responsibility for stupidity (or just bad decisions).
There are so many different mods with different specs and firmware which makes it hard to give instruction that would be at all universal. It is important to remember that 18650s are not big AA batteries and have the potential to misbehave spectacularly. See the warning in my SIG.

Awww, sorry. Hope he can get it back to you soon...
I know something of the law, and it's an oversimplification to say they're avoiding liability by saying little or nothing, or saying something they know people will ignore.

They may actually be increasing their legal risk.

Come on, do better! For your customers' sake.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I know something of the law, and it's an oversimplification to say they're avoiding liability by saying little or nothing, or saying something they know people will ignore.
Yeah, well, of course its an oversimplification, I'm not a lawyer and I'm (we are) not here to discuss the law. Ryan specifically states that the Splinter is designed for wattage mode and that is all that he supports. If you use it as a projectile to shoot out of a cannon you won't be able to (successfully) sue him for that either.

analytika

Yeah, well, of course its an oversimplification, I'm not a lawyer and I'm (we are) not here to discuss the law. Ryan specifically states that the Splinter is designed for wattage mode and that is all that he supports. If you use it as a projectile to shoot out of a cannon you won't be able to (successfully) sue him for that either.
Well Ryan has said some things in private email like "I'll leave temperature control mode to the young'uns". So I don't think it's as black and white as that.

From technical standpoint. why wouldn't temperature control mode work spectacularly on the Splinter?

Last edited:
analytika,
Reactions: BigJr48

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The unfortunate truth is that Americans have become extremely litigious and anyone in business needs to protect themselves. Sad but true. That being said anyone who wants to can consolidate the info out there, it doesn't need to be Ryan. I would love to see recommended settings for various mods and firmware, it just wouldn't be "official" and that's fine. I'm guessing Ryan doesn't have a lot of free time but there are many here who like getting into the nitty gritty, and this would be a good area for that. I put off getting a Splinter because I really didn't want to get involved in this whole mod thing and would be very happy if others figured it all out for me... :cool:

analytika

The unfortunate truth is that Americans have become extremely litigious and anyone in business needs to protect themselves. Sad but true.
Keeping silent or being vague is the instinct of the non-lawyer, or the advice of a lousy lawyer. It's also about the worst thing you could do.

Unfortunately these inexperienced retailers seem to be doing exactly that, and it's not going to end well.

Last edited:
analytika,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
But Ryan isn't doing that. He is not silent or vague. To quote my earlier post "Ryan specifically states that the Splinter is designed for wattage mode and that is all that he supports."
I think we have said all we need to on this subject.
From technical standpoint. why wouldn't temperature control mode work spectacularly on the Splinter?
I don't know that it wouldn't, it may work perfectly well, but clearly an ecig coil is not the same as the splinter heater so I doubt they would work the same even if it works well.

cybrguy,
I'm def going to stick with watts, tc is a total pain in the arse and not something I want to mess around with, I've been there before with e-cigs and went back to wattage mode because it's simple and works.. I don't care if I never see another TCR value for the rest of my life.

analytika

But Ryan isn't doing that. He is not silent or vague. To quote my earlier post "Ryan specifically states that the Splinter is designed for wattage mode and that is all that he supports."

I'm not going to post the private emails which I have at my fingertips and am referring to here, or give you link backs to comments in public forums -- which you can research on your own time -- or summarize in my own words Instagram live sessions that no longer exist online.

But your suggestion Ryan has been uniform and consistent on this point is completely wrong.

Last edited:
analytika,

SavageCore

But I hope we see better resources advising how to use

Absolutely! I'd like to see Vapefiend selling a kit with a pre programmed DNA mod with various TC levels and a wattage profile

I'm also sticking with wattage, run mine at 40 for a few good hearty rips. Gotta be careful of combustion if I over pack.

Last edited:

ray_b

,,,clearly an ecig coil is not the same as the splinter heater so I doubt they would work the same even if it works well.

How so, can you please elaborate? E-cig coils range from simple round wire, single wrap coils to quad coil fused clapton monstrosities. How does the RBT HSA heater differ?

For the record, my Splinter using a Smoant Charon Mini works perfectly in TC/TCR mode. Mine is set up to press the fire button and draw, no further mod adjustments are needed to finish the bowl. Over pack, under pack, it doesn't matter, it won't combust and produces a dark brown ABV.

Here's the scoop on four box mods I've tried with the Splinter. On the two cheapest mods (TeslaCig Wye and Sigelei E1) TC is a joke, it's VW mode under a different name and with different numbers. I suspect this is true for all budget/entry level box mods. Next was the Vaporesso Revenger and the TC on it is good. I thought is was very good until I got my Charon Mini. It does TC right, easy to set up and easy to use. At this point I don't see how TC can get better but there are a lot of mods out there that I haven't tried. But I will say this: you're not going to find a good TC implementation in a low cost mod.

The DNA mods aren't a panacea, I Recently bought a DNA250C chip mod and I hate the motherfucker. I'm going to spend some more time with it and I'll write up my comments in the What Box Mod thread but right now I'm sorry I spent the money on it, wish I gotten the VooPoo Drag I've been eyeing

At the very least, folks should get the hang of wattage mode before venturing into temperature mode.
Yes, I agree, this is a good idea.

QmJWBVYU_o.jpg

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
This is what's stated on Vapefiend's Splinter description page:

"PLEASE NOTE:

1. Splinter should only be used on variable wattage mods, at settings below 45W. Temp Control modes are not compatible with Splinter.

2. The Splinter's mouthpiece fitting is NOT a standard 18.8mm male size. Using standard adapters puts undue pressure on the glass heater cover and can cause breakage. Only use Splinter-specific adapters and mouthpieces."

Smoke1ForMe

How so, can you please elaborate? E-cig coils range from simple round wire, single wrap coils to quad coil fused clapton monstrosities. How does the RBT HSA heater differ?

For the record, my Splinter using a Smoant Charon Mini works perfectly in TC/TCR mode. Mine is set up to press the fire button and draw, no further mod adjustments are needed to finish the bowl. Over pack, under pack, it doesn't matter, it won't combust and produces a dark brown ABV.

Here's the scoop on four box mods I've tried with the Splinter. On the two cheapest mods (TeslaCig Wye and Sigelei E1) TC is a joke, it's VW mode under a different name and with different numbers. I suspect this is true for all budget/entry level box mods. Next was the Vaporesso Revenger and the TC on it is good. I thought is was very good until I got my Charon Mini. It does TC right, easy to set up and easy to use. At this point I don't see how TC can get better but there are a lot of mods out there that I haven't tried. But I will say this: you're not going to find a good TC implementation in a low cost mod.

The DNA mods aren't a panacea, I Recently bought a DNA250C chip mod and I hate the motherfucker. I'm going to spend some more time with it and I'll write up my comments in the What Box Mod thread but right now I'm sorry I spent the money on it, wish I gotten the VooPoo Drag I've been eying.

Yes, I agree, this is a good idea.

QmJWBVYU_o.jpg

Have you tried replay on your DNA? I’ve been really enjoying that feature, just need to figure out how to save my replay to a profile.

ray_b

This is what's stated on Vapefiend's Splinter description page:

"PLEASE NOTE:

1. Splinter should only be used on variable wattage mods, at settings below 45W. Temp Control modes are not compatible with Splinter.
This is the kind of thing that pisses me off, best I can tell this information isn't on the RBT website. They have an FAQ page but it doesn't address this subject.

I don't give a shit, I'm going to keep using my Splinter in TC mode. :D

Have you tried replay on your DNA? I’ve been really enjoying that feature, just need to figure out how to save my replay to a profile.
I'm not trying to be a dick but I'm going to save up my comments and post them after I've spent some more time with DNA250C. One nice surprise for me, if you're an Arch Linux or Manjaro Linux user the Evolv escribe software is available in the AUR.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Just in terms of mass if nothing else, the only ecig coils I have seen are simple coiled wire but I really know nothing about them. And that is really the point, I don't want to. I have ZERO interest in playing the mod game. I have only had my Splinter a couple days and I waited this long because I have dreaded getting into mods and becoming infected with MAS along with my VAS, GAS, and TAS. I just want to heat the fucking splinter effectively and cheaply and I truly hope to only own this one mod. I am hoping the Splinter brings the magic, and so far it seems like it does. The mod is just a means to that end, it will not be an end in itself.
Hopefully...

almost there

Just in terms of mass if nothing else, the only ecig coils I have seen are simple coiled wire but I really know nothing about them. And that is really the point, I don't want to. I have ZERO interest in playing the mod game. I have only had my Splinter a couple days and I waited this long because I have dreaded getting into mods and becoming infected with MAS along with my VAS, GAS, and TAS. I just want to heat the fucking splinter effectively and cheaply and I truly hope to only own this one mod. I am hoping the Splinter brings the magic, and so far it seems like it does. The mod is just a means to that end, it will not be an end in itself.
Hopefully...
Not a chance, I currently have 2 brand new mods, no atty and I’m window shopping for the 3rd.....damn this mas

You can beat it but it's hardwork when everything is so tempting but I'm running my splinter on an ancient Smok Alien 220 1st edition, the widely derided and ridiculed clit mod! only cost around £50 2 years ago.. This thing is battered and bruised, paint worn off everywhere it can wear off, dropped more times than I can remember, it's been down the stairs, knocked off walls, treated with total contempt but.. it performs flawlessly when in wattage mode so I have no intention of replacing it. This MOD has had serious usage as I still use it as a sole daily driver for e-cig attys.

I've also had 2 DNA chip mods in the past, 1 vaporshark rdna40 from 2014, it still works but battery life is appaling and firing it is a hit and miss experience, so it was retired after 12months use. Then there was my flurry with the very expensive DNA200 mod end 2015 but this device shite the bed, autofired from nowhere which stuck on and promptly fried itself and died within 7 months of purchasing and totallywicked refused to exchange for another one. It was then that I gave up on higher end mods and bought the so called POS that refuses to die!! My good friend on the other hand has spent at least £1.5k on mods in the same time frame as my one mod usage.. Moral of story? I dunno, I'll leave that to you..

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Does anyone know about reaction time of Ryan to emails? Sent him a reply on the invoice to change some items nearly one week ago but got no reaction up to now.
And no, I don't want to contact him via Instagram, 420vapezone or whatever. I'm already honestly sick about collecting pieces of infos from all that social media sites I don't want to act on but seem to be forced to.

Last edited:

Doktor Dub

So i got my Splinter and couold test it out a little bit yesterday evening. As i never owned a mod before and as i am no e cig user, this is just a very firt impression...

I used it only in wattage mode and get tasty hits but nearly no visible vapor at 30w and had a few good and cloudy hits around 40w.

I do like the formfactor and the speed, i do not like the very short instructions. I feel there is a learning curve, let s see how it turns out :cool:

Any tips from the pros what i should / could try out next? i got the reuleaux RX Gen3 Mod.

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
Received my Steam Engine mod yesterday. :rockon:

Ordered Wednesday, arrived yesterday via DHL express from Hong Kong.
Right out of the box, in wattage mode worked flawlessly. After reading the directions, I set the max temp setting @ 425° F, I'm guessing the DNA75 chip cuts off heat at a certain point, as @oddjobold mentioned.
I have no need for replay, preheat, or cruise for that matter and I definitely don't want a 3 cell mod to tote around. I like it simple and consistent.
And if it looks kinda cool, bonus!

28sn2ia.jpg

WubbaLubbaDubDub

Received my Steam Engine mod yesterday. :rockon:

Ordered Wednesday, arrived yesterday via DHL express from Hong Kong.
Right out of the box, in wattage mode worked flawlessly. After reading the directions, I set the max temp setting @ 425° F, I'm guessing the DNA75 chip cuts off heat at a certain point, as @oddjobold mentioned.
I have no need for replay, preheat, or cruise for that matter and I definitely don't want a 3 cell mod to tote around. I like it simple and consistent.
And if it looks kinda cool, bonus!

28sn2ia.jpg

Hey that's a good looking MP you got yourself there. Can you tell me where you got it?

ray_b

I just want to heat the fucking splinter effectively and cheaply and I truly hope to only own this one mod.
I hear you my friend, well said. The mods are indeed a means to the end of producing vapor. Don't get me wrong, using the Splinter in VW mode is a perfectly valid way of getting vapor.

I'm vaping to treat chronic pain and sometimes I don't feel like skillfuly wielding a torch to get my Lotus or other butane vapes to produce vapor. The Splinter/box mod combo (and StemPod) is my easiest portable vape to start producing vapor right now. Combined with grinding some herb in advance it's the quickest way for me to start vaping without being tied to a desktop vape. In TC mode it's down to breath control and riding the heat of the Splinter, stir occasionally until the bowl is done.

Not a chance, I currently have 2 brand new mods, no atty and I’m window shopping for the 3rd.....damn this mas

Let me see if I can help. :rofl: Based on nothing more than a hunch I think the US-China tariff shit is going to hit the fan sooner rather than later and e-cig products are on the list of new tariffs. I'm going to be buying a couple more box mods before the prices start to rise. I'm absolutely buying another Charon Mini, it's such a great mod, almost effortless to use. I was checking out the VooPoo Drag at Element Vape and the silver frame models have dropped to $37, I doubt I'll be able to resist.

Does anyone know about reaction time of Ryan to emails?
I sent Ryan an email asking about stem sizes on 7/9 and received a reply on 7/14.

My XL8R cooling stem arrived yesterday, it's pretty nice, much cooler vapor compared to the standard (?!?) Splinter stem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom