Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
When I use the FCShare settings my DNA250 it comes up with temperature protected and drops the wattage down to 15w. It seems to put out no to little vapour at that point. I'm tried just hitting it with default settings and 45w but I can't seem to get the same rips as others.

You can disable that temp protected warning in the Screens tab of the Theme Designer in escribe.
107167328.png

DaveShazam

Damn it, I just missed the coupon when I wanted to place an order on Monday.

Picked up a splinter (a little overpriced bc I was overexcited to try another log) a few years back off the classifieds, have loved it. Definitely need to pick up more accessories to make it suit my style.

If you're running something for Thanksgiving... :)

DaveShazam,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Damn it, I just missed the coupon when I wanted to place an order on Monday.

Picked up a splinter (a little overpriced bc I was overexcited to try another log) a few years back off the classifieds, have loved it. Definitely need to pick up more accessories to make it suit my style.

If you're running something for Thanksgiving... :)

Big Black Friday sale too they say!

tokenknifeguy

Anyone know where to get the inner glass for the v2? I know it can't be hard to find, but RBT would rather me just buy a new unit (of course) rather than buy some $5 piece of glass.

tokenknifeguy,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I got an advertisement for IMRbatteries. Black Friday sales starting early!
Do tell! Any coupon codes to share? It's rare to see a holiday promo from one of our recommended battery sellers.

It's so funny to me: I recall watching Ryan fumbling with parts while hand assembling on Instagram a year or two ago when the Splinter was first coming together and thinking the concept was less likely to come to fruition.

Fast forward to today and my Splinters are my most used vapes and the company's successes are piling up:
  • The 510 platform has proven to be an excellent solution keeping the Splinter design safe, effective, and affordable
  • The Chinese manufacturing partner has further improved performance and affordability without compromising quality or safety
  • The XL8R dimpled cooling stems are being copied by practically everyone including established brands that had more than a decade to innovate a cooler glass airpath on their own
  • The Milaana 3 is soon to arrive and will benefit from all the lessons learned producing the Splinters (same goes for the Seed)
  • While other companies are going out of business after spending time and money on flaky finishes, proprietary batteries, and cringy promo videos, the Splinter is the still in stock in five different flavors and ready to pair with whatever battery and mod combo you care to try
Too bad I already have every Splinter and Splinter Z variant because I bet the black Friday sale will be super legit too.

I guess we still need to hack some sort of pre-configured mod just so the initial setup is less intimidating to new users. I've heard Ryan sharing thoughts on that too and inviting anyone to offer suggestions.

I'll stop with the hopeless gushing. Suffice to say the helpful FC community and enterprising vape makers like RBT are definitely among the things I'm thankful for. Battery sales too, fuck it.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Anyone know where to get the inner glass for the v2? I know it can't be hard to find, but RBT would rather me just buy a new unit (of course) rather than buy some $5 piece of glass.

...why do you know it can't be hard to find and that it costs $5 if you cannot seem to find it anywhere for yourself?... These Splinters are not modular beyond 510 and they are not designed to be user replaceable parts. Yes glass can break and it sucks, but outside of the initial protection period there's nothing you can do unfortunately... Unless you have the resources and know what you're doing.. Try @khelek41girl?

I got an advertisement for IMRbatteries. Black Friday sales starting early!

Do tell! Any coupon codes to share? It's rare to see a holiday promo from one of our recommended battery sellers.

It's so funny to me: I recall watching Ryan fumbling with parts while hand assembling on Instagram a year or two ago when the Splinter was first coming together and thinking the concept was less likely to come to fruition.

Fast forward to today and my Splinters are my most used vapes and the company's successes are piling up:
  • The 510 platform has proven to be an excellent solution keeping the Splinter design safe, effective, and affordable
  • The Chinese manufacturing partner has further improved performance and affordability without compromising quality or safety
  • The XL8R dimpled cooling stems are being copied by practically everyone including established brands that had more than a decade to innovate a cooler glass airpath on their own
  • The Milaana 3 is soon to arrive and will benefit from all the lessons learned producing the Splinters (same goes for the Seed)
  • While other companies are going out of business after spending time and money on flaky finishes, proprietary batteries, and cringy promo videos, the Splinter is the still in stock in five different flavors and ready to pair with whatever battery and mod combo you care to try
Too bad I already have every Splinter and Splinter Z variant because I bet the black Friday sale will be super legit too.

I guess we still need to hack some sort of pre-configured mod just so the initial setup is less intimidating to new users. I've heard Ryan sharing thoughts on that too and inviting anyone to offer suggestions.

I'll stop with the hopeless gushing. Suffice to say the helpful FC community and enterprising vape makers like RBT are definitely among the things I'm thankful for. Battery sales too, fuck it.

Sorry doublepost, mods can merge?

I'm looking at the batteries and it's a shame that it is $7 shipping, Samsung 25R @ $2.79 and LG HE4 @ $3 each getting pairs, makes it $4.50 each basically for two pairs... Still worth it?

Last time I bought it was 3 Samsung 30Qs for like $16 total sooooooo this is probably a worthy deal, for low-level batteries that I do kinda need?

Where is the battery thread btw?

Last edited by a moderator:

VapeForTheTaste

Same boat here. They said they might be offering repairs in a week or 2, and it would cost around $40 to fix. (But I see now they said the same thing about training the same girl in July.) I'm not spending any more money on this thing, so I tried to remove the glass by slowly heating it with a heat gun. I got it to the point where the wood was starting to bubble and it still wouldn't come out. Whatever adhesive they are using is pretty impressive. It will probably sit on my workbench for awhile and eventually make its way into the trash.

You win some, you lose some.

VapeForTheTaste,

RxPlorer

DNA boards seem to be available in bulk online. Seems to me there’s some real opportunity for a 510 box mod revival with a focus on dry herb and cannabis concentrates. Imagine a dna-like box mod platform with built-in profiles for all the major 510s on this forum - splinter, Z, musa, m22, herbie, tetra, g43 and plenty more. If the platform were focused from the ground up on cannabis vaporization instead of nicotine, where could it go from here?

Shit Snacks

Since I got a new purpleheart custom Z, my splinter V2 is back on the sinuous p80, but this time I loaded it with arctic fox:

IMG-20191124-190039950.jpg

I'm having a little trouble getting the temperature settings right, mainly just by adjusting TCR, but I feel like I'm getting a hot spot scorch trying to vape at 350F (power is at 35w but max is 45? maybe both should be 45?) with both 105 and 145 TCRs on 10sec hits or less...

Always just adjusted TCR before, I never felt like I should mess with the resistance, which is at a cold .257Ω so I am now wondering about PID values maybe? I just left them at P:1850 and I:300 with PI-regulator box checked...

Any tips? Sure is cool with the logo!

olivianewtonjohn

@Shit Snacks Sorry I cant give any TCR tips, I gave up on TCR and now use watt mode with cruise control in arctic fox. I couldnt get TCR to work well but find watt mode to be consistent and cruise control really makes the experience more enjoyable.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Since I got a new purpleheart custom Z, my splinter V2 is back on the sinuous p80, but this time I loaded it with arctic fox:

IMG-20191124-190039950.jpg

I'm having a little trouble getting the temperature settings right, mainly just by adjusting TCR, but I feel like I'm getting a hot spot scorch trying to vape at 350F (power is at 35w but max is 45? maybe both should be 45?) with both 105 and 145 TCRs on 10sec hits or less...

Always just adjusted TCR before, I never felt like I should mess with the resistance, which is at a cold .257Ω so I am now wondering about PID values maybe? I just left them at P:1850 and I:300 with PI-regulator box checked...

Any tips? Sure is cool with the logo!
My PID is 600 850 0 like the tutorial page someone put together. I don't have it enabled currently though and performance is still great.

The V2 myevic settings on my rxg3d are 36W and .25ohms at TCR 135 and the avb is super even in a temp range from 360 to 400°.

malkan

Hey guys, so I was running my v2 in wattage mode, 32w. Out of curiosity I kept the button on my mod (DNA250) pressed for 5-8 seconds without the glass stem. I smelled something chemical, like glue. It's not noticeable when using the device properly because the smell of herb overshadows it. But still, can inhaling this be dangerous?

malkan,

olivianewtonjohn

Hey guys, so I was running my v2 in wattage mode, 32w. Out of curiosity I kept the button on my mod (DNA250) pressed for 5-8 seconds without the glass stem. I smelled something chemical, like glue. It's not noticeable when using the device properly because the smell of herb overshadows it. But still, can inhaling this be dangerous?

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-splinter-by-rbt.23476/page-189#post-1412477

I did that ALOT. I also would reverse the flow by covering 1 of the air ports with my finger and then blowing in the other air port. With how bad it was, and how unusual the burn off instructions are IDK why they arent included in the package (vs in random forum posts). It took awhile but the smell/taste did get better.

olivianewtonjohn,

herbalism

Just got a Voopoo Drag 2 for my Splinter v2. Solely using wattage mode for now (anyone have a TCR profile for the Drag/2 btw?) and getting great results with a 4-sec preheat of 40W, then 3 secs at 35W, petering out to 33W and ending at 30W. The best part is that I utilized the mod's curve software so that everything is automated --- I don't have to pulse or drastically adjust my draw speed over the entire 10-second draw. By the end, I get big clouds, awesome flavor, and a pretty even roast without stirring. My Mighty has been solely relegated to away-from-home portable status (along with my VapCap) while my Splinter v2 has become my at-home daily driver. Can't wait to try it through water!

buckhakeesah

I had experienced this chemical taste once with my zion. Went away after burn in and several loads. I have no what it was but I hope its not the glue.

buckhakeesah,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Just got a Voopoo Drag 2 for my Splinter v2. Solely using wattage mode for now (anyone have a TCR profile for the Drag/2 btw?) and getting great results with a 4-sec preheat of 40W, then 3 secs at 35W, petering out to 33W and ending at 30W. The best part is that I utilized the mod's curve software so that everything is automated --- I don't have to pulse or drastically adjust my draw speed over the entire 10-second draw. By the end, I get big clouds, awesome flavor, and a pretty even roast without stirring. My Mighty has been solely relegated to away-from-home portable status (along with my VapCap) while my Splinter v2 has become my at-home daily driver. Can't wait to try it through water!
Yeah, my session vapes mostly collect dust now too and I went ahead and sold my Mighty. Thinking of getting a Fury Edge for a pocket portable now that it's on sale for the first time.

I'm also posting this Wismec deal to the Splinter threads because the rxg3d is my favorite non-DNA mod for the Splinter and that price is so good I ordered a backup:

Wismec RX Gen3 Dual (w/ gnome tank) for $31.50 shipped from a US seller with code "NewMFS15"

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/reuleaux-gen3-gnome-king-kit-by-wismec.html?sscid=b1k3_pkj41

Shit Snacks

My PID is 600 850 0 like the tutorial page someone put together. I don't have it enabled currently though and performance is still great.

The V2 myevic settings on my rxg3d are 36W and .25ohms at TCR 135 and the avb is super even in a temp range from 360 to 400°.

Thanks dude! I think you've hit on the right settings (I've got it at 35w and .257Ω though) because now I am getting very even extraction and seemingly accurate temps! Splinter staying cool too, keeping up with draw at very low temps even without much wattage being used.

This is just after one small bowl after the test, started as low as 300F and still get visible vapor with great taste and light effects to match. Finished at 380 with a nice darker light brown color as a slight hotspot might have started to form by that last fast strong hit without any stirring. I should try upper temps too...

So much more experimentation needed, but I think the settings are dialed in and I am really enjoying the SplinterV2 on the P80 with ArcticFox TCR more than the DNA! (My new PH custom Z is really great on the DNA now, but it makes me think my canary Z on G3D may appreciate it more than the surmyevic wattage rips I do through water... I think I will leave my Splinters and mods as is for now though).

I was tempted to get a back up G3D from your link for a second, but I didn't want the black or gold color fortunately. Mine is the dark gray, and I would think I would like that purple bronze one too, but there is no need for another yet...

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

So I just got one of these from @RogueGuy:

IMG-20191112-092326-842.jpg

This is a MUST HAVE tool for the Splinter and really any vape. It just works perfectly as a stirrer and scraper. And it feels great in the hand. I’ve tried a variety of these type of tools and this one wins...easily.

I’m pretty sure he made these in a variety of woods. Get your stocking stuffer now!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Well @bossman and @Shit Snacks you guys have got me going now.
I have Splinter v1+ on as Sinuous P80 on which I did manage to load myevic some time ago, and have used power (watt) mode almost exclusively, with once or twice trying cruise but between wife and I, it was confusing with different click patterns, etc, so we have kinda learned to use at about 33-37 watts (depending on strain, I guess) and simply let go of the button before combustion. While this has been good rehearsal for anticipated M3 arrival (soon!), I'm now really interested in whatever-the-heck you guys are on to in last couple of posts, but it does sound like I'd need considerable tutorial to get there. By 'there' I mean a use that's easy to enable (turn on/off) and offers the degree of regulation you guys are talking about, without need for fussing after dialing in.
This is an intimidating area for me; should I just keep on as I've been, with wattage, or is there a step by step somewhere? I do believe I could accomplish install of say, Artic Fox or something.
Bought our first home computer in 1991. I am sooo tired of new learning curves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom