The Screwball by Vapvana

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Will the SB bowl fit into a recessed joint like one of these?
https://www.wickandwireco.com.au/co.../qaromashop-mini-carbed-catcher-glass-adapter

Is there any glass catcher or passthrough adapter people prefer to use with their SB bowl?
I have the thermal twist bowl as a pass through, works great, I have the larger version of the one you linked (dry herb catch) and it works in that as well BUT I only use it in there with O-rings like this

General Disaster

A Country Member
Hi!
Any Chance there will be a distributor in Europe?

Nice Greets
Go visit RecVapeS in UK: https://recommendedvapesupplies.co.uk/
Talk to Matt there, who's very helpful and friendly. I got mine from him, took a whole 24 hours to receive it (in UK). Boy, was I put out! 🤣🤣🤣
Nah, they are great, check them out.

I connected my Screwball up to an Old Head PID I had and then connected the heater to an empty bowl to see what happened… I’m thinking I might need a new - spare - PID as that jump was huge… works fine with the Echo…

That looks like the one I got with my CH B2. I think it's tuned to much more slowly apply the heat so as to not oscillate so much, but it's not ideal like that for the SB as it takes twice the wattage, and has far more specific heat capacity with that large head full of gems. It would be nice if the 'acceleration' of the temperature could be stepped up, but I suspect that's far beyond my capacity even if possible. The Crossing pid seems better tuned to that higher power requirement, just a shame the display doesn't show what the thermocouple reads in real time.

b4ditude

I have the larger version of the one you linked (dry herb catch) and it works in that as well BUT I only use it in there with O-rings like this
Is it fine without it? I don't mind the sticking much as I find it cools down quick enough it doesn't bother me, I just want it to make it easier to clear my water pipe and reduce the amount of that weird light coloured reclaim in it.

b4ditude,

General Disaster

A Country Member
reduce the amount of that weird light coloured reclaim in it.
To at least some degree, if not more, that light coloured reclaim is simply the vapour condensing on the coolest parts of the glass. Trying to 'trap' it out is more likely to simply reduce how much vapour reaches your lungs. That said, I suspect it's more of the higher boiling point terpenoids that collect the most, so some people thoroughly enjoy vaping that reclaim, while others (like me) less so (mind, when the bud runs dry, I do start eyeing up that dirty glass! 😁).

General Disaster,

b4ditude

That said, I suspect it's more of the higher boiling point terpenoids that collect the most, so some people thoroughly enjoy vaping that reclaim
It's just a different colour to what I'm used to seeing from my dynavap and arizer, is that due to the water or the vaporization process you think?

b4ditude,

General Disaster

A Country Member
It's just a different colour to what I'm used to seeing from my dynavap and arizer, is that due to the water or the vaporization process you think?
Truly hard to say to be honest. I go by my knowledge of practical chemistry and physics etc. and how things behave, rather than an immense store of cannabis specific knowledge.
The shape, thickness and temp of the glass will effect it, the water will effect it, the temps you run the vape will effect it, and the type and strain of what you vape will effect it, even the actual quantity of vapour will effect it! (I bet I've missed some other possibilities too! But you get the picture I'm sure!).

Essentially you're distilling the terpenoids off the cannabis leaf (or blob of concentrate, whatever), and everything between that bowl and your mucus membranes that's cooler than the vapour will potentially condense the vapour into a liquid again. Much of the vapour probably is a liquid by the time you see it, composed of minute droplets condensed into the air as a colloid. Some of the vapour will condense onto solid surfaces (like the glass), some of the colloidal droplets will stick to the cooler surfaces. It's a complex system, that we can't calculate, but only have ideas and experiment with them to see what happens.

It's even the possible that for some people, having some of the higher boiling point terpenoids condense out of the air could make the resulting vapour inhaled more preferred!

b4ditude

Some of the vapour will condense onto solid surfaces (like the glass), some of the colloidal droplets will stick to the cooler surfaces
I suppose even if I can't really avoid the reclaim inside the water pipe as your explanation makes sense, I prefer the position that the Qaroma mini catcher puts the bowl in, a lot of other catchers or passthrough adapters put it really close to my face.

General Disaster

A Country Member
Ah! now the idea of making the majority of it drop out the air at a certain place (i.e. a reclaim trap of some sort) makes a lot of sense! Especially on the basic understanding of the condensation idea in general, and not thinking some sort of magic can happen (like preventing any reclaim etc), then this is a really sensible thing to do to try and keep most of it in one place. Won't stop the rest of the glass getting some reclaim settling, but less, and frankly, the small extra overall loss involved is unlikely to actually be noticeable! Pragmatism is all! 😊

Now if someone made a reclaim add-in, and gave it a glass top, like a flat disk of glass, horizontal, but dipped in the middle, you could put something cold (ice/salt mix, or meths & dry ice even better), it would act as a condenser causing more reclaim to settle on the inside of that depression, and possibly making a larger reduction elsewhere. But it could also end up stealing too much out the vapour and weakening the hit. mind you, the reclaim would be stunning! Think distilled THC! Which is pretty much what's happening (but other terpenoids too in there).

Last edited:
Talk to Matt there, who's very helpful and friendly. I got mine from him, took a whole 24 hours to receive it (in UK). Boy, was I put out! 🤣🤣🤣

That looks like the one I got with my CH B2. I think it's tuned to much more slowly apply the heat so as to not oscillate so much, but it's not ideal like that for the SB as it takes twice the wattage, and has far more specific heat capacity with that large head full of gems. It would be nice if the 'acceleration' of the temperature could be stepped up, but I suspect that's far beyond my capacity even if possible. The Crossing pid seems better tuned to that higher power requirement, just a shame the display doesn't show what the thermocouple reads in real time.

Adjacent to the topic: how would you compare your B2 to the SB? B1 is probably the stronger compare to the SB, but curious to learn which you prefer.

Enlightened_Beast,
Reactions: Brownie420

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Adjacent to the topic: how would you compare your B2 to the SB? B1 is probably the stronger compare to the SB, but curious to learn which you prefer.
Please don't make comparisons in device threads. Feel free to create a new Ask FC thread or ask on the ball vape thread:

MTpromises

I have a few ball vapes and the Screwballs' reclaim is uniquely golden. It's the only hybrid in the mix, and it by far the best. I just assumed the hybrid heat was leeching out more of the good stuff than the pure convection vapes.

General Disaster

A Country Member
I have a few ball vapes and the Screwballs' reclaim is uniquely golden. It's the only hybrid in the mix, and it by far the best. I just assumed the hybrid heat was leeching out more of the good stuff than the pure convection vapes.
Now this is, I have to admit, something of a guess, and it would take proper analysis to really know, but often the darker reclaims are darker because more of the terpenoids have been heated beyond a certain temperature, whereby they start to break down into smaller components, maybe only two or three carbons long. These being unstable, will quickly form new more complex compounds, for example, one of the more common ones is benzene! (not the slang for gasoline, but the 6-membered carbon ring). Nice and toxic, carcinogenic too if the toxicity gets boring, and there's lots more like it too.

As to how bad that really is after those horrors, probably not too bad at all! Mainly because the amounts are small, and it doesn't take much of something like a diazo compound to colour it dark. But what it does show that's more interesting, is that despite the SB's power, it's not overheating the weed! (or only a small amount), so this could actually be a really good marker as to how well a vape works, as opposed to how powerful it is! In the SB's case it appears to have done a remarkable job. Even lab distilled thc has a light golden colour to it, and that's probably done under low pressure to reduce the heat needed (even better conditions than a vape).

Oh! And this will be effected by the temp you run at of course!

Last edited:
General Disaster,
Reactions: TedJones

LordOfTheVapes

It's the only hybrid in the mix, and it by far the best.
What makes you say the screwball is a hybrid?

I've been trying to achieve a hybrid heating using the following method:

0. Turn on PID to 450 and let sit for 10 mins
1. Tightly pack screwball bowl
2. Use a test tube clamp to form a proper seal between the screwball head and bowl
3. Wait a bit, maybe 15 seconds, for the gear to heat up a little
4. Enjoy

Here is the configuration:

FC members: Are you guys doing something similar?

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

2. Use a test tube clamp to form a proper seal between the screwball head and bowl
4. Enjoy

Here is the configuration:

Why not just heat your screwball upside down and put the bowl on top?

15 seconds of heat soaking will not add any significant conduction. It will be easily overwhelmed by the convection currents. I did several experiments with diffusers and heat soaking much longer and found that any heat that went into the bowl quickly was sunk into the joint and away from the flower. I think the photos are in the CH thread iirc.

But if you like heat soaking I say go for it. I also don't think the clamp is doing anything to improve that.

LordOfTheVapes

15 seconds of heat soaking will not add any significant conduction. It will be easily overwhelmed by the convection currents. I did several experiments with diffusers and heat soaking much longer and found that any heat that went into the bowl quickly was sunk into the joint and away from the flower.

Thanks for putting in all that work and sharing! I'll try experimenting in a different direction then.

LordOfTheVapes,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Thanks for putting in all that work and sharing! I'll try experimenting in a different direction then.
I don't mean to discourage experiments! That's 1/2 of the fun of vaping for me! I just don't think that one does anything for conduction. But I do wonder if heating the SB up attached to the bowl initially adds anything. Although the bowl handle might get really hot!

TedJones

Might want to try this. Heat up the bowl with the SB for a few minutes with nothing loaded. Then add your herbs, do the quick soak, and give it a go. Tried this with the zx after seeing Ryan mention it over there. I might have felt a bit stonier effect, could have been in my head as well :uhoh:

The clamp reminded me that sometimes I’m not seated flush at all times, and don’t realize it without a mirror/vid. A small ledge/lip might be cool around the bowl to help maybe..

2pumpchump

4. Enjoy
Are you doing full or half bowl setting?
Interesting but I'm not sure if that clamp actually transferring any heat to the bowl or venting heat to mid air got me wondering lol but the seal is definitely better that way .
You might try talking a small terpy hit as you put the heater on before you start to heatsoke the bowl this will cause the bowl to start heating up faster than the heater just setting on the bowl

LordOfTheVapes

Might want to try this. Heat up the bowl with the SB for a few minutes with nothing loaded. Then add your herbs, do the quick soak, and give it a go.

Thanks @TedJones ; looks like I severely underestimated how long to heat soak the bowl. I'm going to give this a shot.

Are you doing full or half bowl setting?

Hey @2pumpchump , lately I've been using the full bowl. Here is a sample of some starting material and result using the method I described above:

General Disaster

A Country Member
On the heat soaking, I give it maybe 20 seconds or so, then remove the heater a minute to let it come back up to temp, then give it another 10/15 seconds soak, then pull. Just from the results, it seems to reduce the walls of the bowl stealing the heat from the hot air, and leaving an outer ring of slightly less roasted bud.
That's on a half bowl.

TedJones

On the heat soaking, I give it maybe 20 seconds or so, then remove the heater a minute to let it come back up to temp, then give it another 10/15 seconds soak, then pull. Just from the results, it seems to reduce the walls of the bowl stealing the heat from the hot air, and leaving an outer ring of slightly less roasted bud.
That's on a half bowl.
Thought I saw you mention and I tried this a couple days ago with a good result. Will revisit with a clamp & pass through next round.

MTpromises

What makes you say the screwball is a hybrid?
The Screwball is the first ball vape I've used that heat soaking works on. I tried heat soaking the CH shovelhead and Tiodw with diffusers and I wasn't impressed. But now I'm always heat soaking the Screwball. I aim for 30s or till the smell gets to me, pretty much like LordoftheVapes sans clip. An upside to heat soaking outside of my rig is the bowl doesn't get nearly as stuck.

I don't want to get too into comparisons, but the AVB from the Screwball is much closer to my Quartz Cap or Vulcan bowl set up than my other ball vapes.

Top Bottom