The Screwball by Vapvana

General Disaster

A Country Member
Has anyone used any of the wood bowls from Eds TNT?

I have some of Eds accessories for my Tinymight2 and his work is amazing!
They certainly look aesthetically pleasing, but I've never tried anything other than titanium myself. It would be interesting to hear comment from those who have.

coolbreeze

Has anyone used any of the wood bowls from Eds TNT?

I have some of Eds accessories for my Tinymight2 and his work is amazing!
I use the injector bowls, they're fantastic. The diffuser bowls are more hit and miss. They fit the Tiodw Pro and Phatt Piggie Chaos, but not the Screwball or the CC Omega or Zeal. It's the same with diffuser bowls made by other woodworkers in my experience. For me the ones that fit most everything, including the Screwball, are the Dfreez male diffuser bowls. I've only tried the mini but it's my go-to for getting diffused.

Last edited:

Mowjo

Unfortunate news with the DFreeZ bundle I got. Looks like they're still working on it and need to go larger on the handle to fit this coil. Currently running the screwball with no handle since I had to cut the wrap to test it. Let me know if any finds any handles or I might look at replacing the heat shrink on the original.

IMG-3748.png

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Unfortunate news with the DFreeZ bundle I got. Looks like they're still working on it and need to go larger on the handle to fit this coil. Currently running the screwball with no handle since I had to cut the wrap to test it. Let me know if any finds any handles or I might look at replacing the heat shrink on the original.

Looks like I am on the hook for shipping here and back for an item that did not work.

IMG-3748.png
Can you sand it out? I have done this with other handles. Be a shame to not use that gorgeous thing.

coolbreeze,
Reactions: Grass Yes

General Disaster

A Country Member
I use the injector bowls, they're fantastic. The diffuser bowls are more hit and miss. They fit the Tiodw Pro and Phatt Piggie Chaos, but not the CC Omega or Zeal. It's the same with diffuser bowls made by other woodworkers in my experience. For me the ones that fit most everything are the Dfreez male diffuser bowls. I've only tried the mini but it's my go-to for getting diffused.
Although as a material I absolutely love wood, when it comes to the vaping, I'm mostly looking for the sedative effect as my 'medical' priority, the most racey convective methods are more for intellectual enhancement than mediating negative symptoms.
So I've tended to be happy sticking to the 'diffuser' style with shovelhead type bowls in titanium for heat conduction. But always interested to hear other peoples experiences, since I can't afford to just buy and try as I wish and need to be selective about these not insignificantly expensive items to do a similar task.

Now if anyone needs to dispose of say $10K of vapouriser vouchers, if you ask me really really nicely, I could take 'em off yer hands? Just to be helpful?? 😏
No no! No need to thank me! 🤣

Mowjo said:

You should be able to buy a short length of suitably sized shrink-tube from a small hardware type store, sweet talk them into cutting off a length so you don't have to buy a whole roll? Then just cut to length, slip it over the original plastic handle, and use a hairdryer or similar to shrink it down. Should at least hold things together for now, even if not looking pretty.

Alternatively, a long strip of cloth, or even twine or similar, wrapped around the original plastic 'handle' by hand, again, just to provide a good safe grip for it for now (until something nice looking turns up).

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Although as a material I absolutely love wood, when it comes to the vaping, I'm mostly looking for the sedative effect as my 'medical' priority, the most racey convective methods are more for intellectual enhancement than mediating negative symptoms.
So I've tended to be happy sticking to the 'diffuser' style with shovelhead type bowls in titanium for heat conduction. But always interested to hear other peoples experiences, since I can't afford to just buy and try as I wish and need to be selective about these not insignificantly expensive items to do a similar task.
Yeah, it's kind of a bummer because you never know until you try them and they're always gorgeous so you really want to use them, but it must be tough to design one that fits all the slight variations. @CDXX Pipes solved it with a metal liner that fits like a shovelhead, so I guess it's really a metal bowl capable of conduction in a lovely wood wrapper. I think he also has a Cannabis Hardware Ti bowl insert for regular tobacco pipes, so that would be another way of having a wooden bowl that can conduct heat, for what it's worth.
Now if anyone needs to dispose of say $10K of vapouriser vouchers, if you ask me really really nicely, I could take 'em off yer hands? Just to be helpful?? 😏
No no! No need to thank me! 🤣
Lol. I'll check, I think I have one that doesn't fit any of my vapes. Maybe it'll fit yours?
You should be able to buy a short length of suitably sized shrink-tube from a small hardware type store, sweet talk them into cutting off a length so you don't have to buy a whole roll? Then just cut to length, slip it over the original plastic handle, and use a hairdryer or similar to shrink it down. Should at least hold things together for now, even if not looking pretty.

Alternatively, a long strip of cloth, or even twine or similar, wrapped around the original plastic 'handle' by hand, again, just to provide a good safe grip for it for now (until something nice looking turns up).
Or electrical tape?

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

IMG-3748.png
As @coolbreeze said, you can sand out the end that goes over the clamp. I've done that for the 710coils coils because they have a large nut. It's easy and you don't have to take much. Just be careful not to force it.

Vapvana

Manufacturer

Naming Contest + New Product Updates​

Happy March y'all! :rockon:

Been busy with some family things recently, but have a few updates for y'all. So let's dive right in :nod:

Screwball Mascot Naming Contest Is Live!​

sb-mascot-contest-banner_4x_1c8dfc10-5055-46b9-a2c7-b14bca407691.png

If you haven't seen it yet, the Screwball Mascot Naming Contest is now live!

It will run until March 17th at 11:59pm PST - so make sure you get your entries in before then :rockon:

Presale Shipping Update​

I am impatiently waiting for the second batch to ship.
I'm still waiting on a tracking number, but the next round of kits should be shipped out within the next week or so.

It will take ~2 days to ship out all the presale orders once the kits land.

Presale Coupon Code​

The current Screwball Presale round is still going on, and you can save 10% (and support this community) by using code 'FC10'

Wood Artists With Screwballs​

Currently, wood artists with Screwballs are:
I'm also working on sending out more kits to artist next round.

@Mowjo DFreeZ has a screwball so I'd reach out to see if they can help.

For the time being, you should still be able to use the stock silicone handle without the wrap - which would be better than nothing IMO.

Screwball Glass Bowl Prototype​

Couldn't find anything searching. Are there any glass bowls that would work with the screwball?
I'm currently waiting to receive the first round of glass bowl prototypes from GoldmanGlass

After they are tested and approved, I will most likely do a presale on our site. Also just a note, these are handmade by a US Artist, so they will be on the premium side of pricing (~$80 USD after discounts)

Each bowl will also come with a metal card of authenticity :science:

97FB4C03-D9B4-48F8-BBE6-C4E79ACBA9CE.jpg

I'd also like to offer import versions in the future.

Screwball Lite Prototype Preview​

Our manufacturer sent an update last night showing the first prototype of the 20mm Screwball Lite Design, which features:
  • 20mm coil instead of 25mm
  • 3mm gems instead of 2.5mm (to be tested still)
  • Lid has side airflow holes (this is being tested on the SB too)
  • Bowl uses removable glass joints (not pictured - this will be adapted to the SB bowl after testing)
  • Bowl uses 15mm screens instead of 20mm (this will be the 'microdose' bowl)
  • Compatible with current SB Heater + Bowl

0c5ef5acb4816c34362d969153dc3803.jpg

154525757aebb45980b076b98ccbdcf0.jpg

Wireless Screwball + Injector​

These prototypes are being worked on next, and I will update y'all accordingly when I have more to share.

Next Update​

I'm still in the process of getting organized on the backend before the next shipment of kits arrive. Once I'm caught up on work, I will be back for another update.

If you have any questions or need any help please send an email to hi@vapvana.com

Talk soon,
Cal

General Disaster

A Country Member
@CDXX Pipes solved it with a metal liner that fits like a shovelhead, so I guess it's really a metal bowl capable of conduction in a lovely wood wrapper.
Oh, that's a nice idea! I like that, the conductive layer within an insulator. Bowl heats fast, but doesn't lose much heat to convecting with the cooler air outside it. Plus a bonus of a nice looking and unique organic material.

General Disaster

A Country Member
I received a Dfreez bowl when I bought a Couch Log from the Classifieds. I like the bowl. Works great. I looked at Dfreez website and everything was sold out.

Welcome to FC @Bong Witch
Isn't that always the way with the best accessories in this game (or so I've discovered!). Every time I've heard a recommended artisan's name, wizz to the site to mostly see a long list of gorgeous looking stuff, every one accompanied by a "Sold Out" sign!
(oh, except for the one's with the wrong fitting/connector! 😣)

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Screwball Appreciation Post

This is my “recovery position”; a day bed and coffee table in the living room so I can join my partner,watching TV, but where I am able to still lay down when I need to.

Firstly another thank you to Cal, I really appreciate your assistance all the way through my Screwball journey.

I wanted to write a review of sorts, just to share some of the things I have been playing with in the last few days.

While I’ve been recovering I’ve been using my Screwball most frequently, as it’s consistent, reliable and the lower temperatures both lower the chance of combustion, but it also produces a nicer vapour, it’s more comfortable imo and I don’t cough any where near as much as when I’m using my other devices at higher temperatures. This has been so important over the last month as coughing fits would cause me to vomit in pain so for similar reasons I have been using the Screwball with the bowl in the half bowl setting; which I’ll explain more on later.

Lately I’ve been running my Screwball with the starter kit PID, with the bowl set to half bowl position and the PID set to 475f. I like to firmly pack my bowl with flower and I usually like to add a crumb or two of shatter.

Hears a lazy long video of me using the Screwball…

Also after talking to Cal about the way that the Gem cut rubies work and why he chose them, I wanted to see for myself if I got the same results he was talking about.

I’ve never had a easy way to compare them against other gems as the Screwball is unique in that it has a huge gem chamber and I don’t have enough gems to be able to fill it so it made it impossible to replace the gems to compare it. A not on this, the screwball is unique out of the heaters I have. The Thermal mass of the Screwball is primarily from the gems, the amount of titanium in the screwballs heater is far less than the others I have. The titanium in the screwballs heater I believe is around the 14g and I’m pretty sure the weight of the gems exceeds that amount.

Anyway…

With a bit of “you can borrow that if I can borrow those”; I got my hands on some wireless diffusers and a couple of coils so I could do some testing to try and compare how they perform. My main interest wasn’t the diffusers them themselves but in the fact that they had small gem chambers and that it was very way to swap the gems around.

I mainly was using different sizes (2mm, 3mm, 4mm) of rubies, zirconia, borosilicate, the gem cuts rubies.

The Mary came with 3mm rubies and I wasn’t overly impressed, I had to push the temperature up to 600f to get an experience that I enjoyed. So I tipped 7g of the gem cut rubies out into a container; not ever 2/3 if the rubies in the Screwball and put them in the Mary Jane. I threw it on the coil at the same temperature and it was a horrible combusted mess. I turned the temp all the way down and started raising it up to find the right temperature. I ended up settling on 565f when using the half bowl setting, it still can get close to scorching so I could turn it down further but I like the quick 2 draw clear.

The gem cut rubies transfer a noticeably larger amount of heat to the air and then to the herbs at the noticeably lower temperatures as compared to the other options I had to test with.

I ended up settling on two setups that sort of perform similarly - before returning my gem cut rubies back into my Screwball as it’s my daily driver like I said while I’m healing.

The two setups I was using the performed very similar was; the Mary Jane filled with 7g of 2.5mm gem cut rubies running @ 565f; and for the same experience I was using the Tiodw (22mm) with 9g of borosilicate balls with the coil running @ 590f. I have included some photos below of the AVB for compassion.

I guess the take away is that the gem cut rubies transfer significantly more heat to the air than the other options I tested and I wonder at what a wireless Screwball is going to be capable of assuming a similar sized gem chamber.

These configurations performed roughly the same, similar number of breaths per bowl, similar roast and similar flavour. The only major difference was when using the Screwball bowl, which is compatible with both diffusers, is that the Tiodw gets stuck sometimes.

The design of the bowl that comes with the Screwball is probably my favourite bowl’s out of the ones I have. It’s compatible with most of the diffusers I have used. It’s light and thin and that allows it to heats up and cool down quickly. It has sufficient surface area in contact with the herbs to ensure a quality roast, without stirring or having to preheat the bowl or heat soak the bowl and herbs. This protects a lot of the more volatile compounds and makes for an amazingly flavourful vapour with whatever diffuser you are using.

The one thing I would say about the bowl is that it get stuck in some of the joints I put it in, so on the advice on a friendly Milkman, I added a Tiny Might 2 o-ring to try and improve the connection but managed to get what I was looking for when I added a second blue o-ring, it’s now perfectly stable and doesn’t get stuck in the joints when heated.

General Disaster

A Country Member

This is my “recovery position”; a day bed and coffee table in the living room so I can join my partner,watching TV, but where I am able to still lay down when I need to.

Firstly another thank you to Cal, I really appreciate your assistance all the way through my Screwball journey.

I wanted to write a review of sorts, just to share some of the things I have been playing with in the last few days.

While I’ve ...
Just wanted to say that was a really good informative post! Thanks for taking the time and trouble to put all that down.
And I have to add/agree the Screwball really outclasses most of the competition, imho especially by using that coil, plus the wider diameter 'tube' of the heater and bowl, the massive capacity (volume) of the heater, and the diamonds used.

Other points like the excellent work on the mating between the heater and bowl and the low mass of titanium (as you also picked up on) are a big game changer. It's really good for what it's designed for, if that's what someone wants, there's not much to beat it currently (imho).
Hope you're feeling somewhat better! 😊

b4ditude

Can't imagine you won't love it when it finally drops!
I couldn't believe how much vapour I can take down with this thing in one go, with such minimal bronchial irritation (depending on strain of course). Ball-vapes in general seem good for this, but the SB appears exceptionally good for this, for me at least.
I get a bit of an intense cough but in more the way you cough when you dab for the first time, it's not harsh vapor in fact shorter hits are so smooth for me. It's when I take a big hit that it just slams me in the back of my throat.

It's so intense, micro-dosing does help reduce the hit intensity but I love how a half to full bowl keeps up with my tolerance level, plus the bowl shines when it's full and gets a heat soak.

While I’ve been recovering I’ve been using my Screwball most frequently, as it’s consistent, reliable and the lower temperatures both lower the chance of combustion, but it also produces a nicer vapour, it’s more comfortable imo and I don’t cough any where near as much as when I’m using my other devices at higher temperatures. This has been so important over the last month as coughing fits would cause me to vomit in pain so for similar reasons I have been using the Screwball with the bowl in the half bowl setting; which I’ll explain more on later.

Lately I’ve been running my Screwball with the starter kit PID, with the bowl set to half bowl position and the PID set to 475f. I like to firmly pack my bowl with flower and I usually like to add a crumb or two of shatter.

Hears a lazy long video of me using the Screwball…

Also after talking to Cal about the way that the Gem cut rubies work and why he chose them, I wanted to see for myself if I got the same results he was talking about.

I’ve never had a easy way to compare them against other gems as the Screwball is unique in that it has a huge gem chamber and I don’t have enough gems to be able to fill it so it made it impossible to replace the gems to compare it. A not on this, the screwball is unique out of the heaters I have. The Thermal mass of the Screwball is primarily from the gems, the amount of titanium in the screwballs heater is far less than the others I have. The titanium in the screwballs heater I believe is around the 14g and I’m pretty sure the weight of the gems exceeds that amount.

Anyway…

With a bit of “you can borrow that if I can borrow those”; I got my hands on some wireless diffusers and a couple of coils so I could do some testing to try and compare how they perform. My main interest wasn’t the diffusers them themselves but in the fact that they had small gem chambers and that it was very way to swap the gems around.

I mainly was using different sizes (2mm, 3mm, 4mm) of rubies, zirconia, borosilicate, the gem cuts rubies.

The Mary came with 3mm rubies and I wasn’t overly impressed, I had to push the temperature up to 600f to get an experience that I enjoyed. So I tipped 7g of the gem cut rubies out into a container; not ever 2/3 if the rubies in the Screwball and put them in the Mary Jane. I threw it on the coil at the same temperature and it was a horrible combusted mess. I turned the temp all the way down and started raising it up to find the right temperature. I ended up settling on 565f when using the half bowl setting, it still can get close to scorching so I could turn it down further but I like the quick 2 draw clear.

The gem cut rubies transfer a noticeably larger amount of heat to the air and then to the herbs at the noticeably lower temperatures as compared to the other options I had to test with.

I ended up settling on two setups that sort of perform similarly - before returning my gem cut rubies back into my Screwball as it’s my daily driver like I said while I’m healing.

The two setups I was using the performed very similar was; the Mary Jane filled with 7g of 2.5mm gem cut rubies running @ 565f; and for the same experience I was using the Tiodw (22mm) with 9g of borosilicate balls with the coil running @ 590f. I have included some photos below of the AVB for compassion.

I guess the take away is that the gem cut rubies transfer significantly more heat to the air than the other options I tested and I wonder at what a wireless Screwball is going to be capable of assuming a similar sized gem chamber.

These configurations performed roughly the same, similar number of breaths per bowl, similar roast and similar flavour. The only major difference was when using the Screwball bowl, which is compatible with both diffusers, is that the Tiodw gets stuck sometimes.

The design of the bowl that comes with the Screwball is probably my favourite bowl’s out of the ones I have. It’s compatible with most of the diffusers I have used. It’s light and thin and that allows it to heats up and cool down quickly. It has sufficient surface area in contact with the herbs to ensure a quality roast, without stirring or having to preheat the bowl or heat soak the bowl and herbs. This protects a lot of the more volatile compounds and makes for an amazingly flavourful vapour with whatever diffuser you are using.

The one thing I would say about the bowl is that it get stuck in some of the joints I put it in, so on the advice on a friendly Milkman, I added a Tiny Might 2 o-ring to try and improve the connection but managed to get what I was looking for when I added a second blue o-ring, it’s now perfectly stable and doesn’t get stuck in the joints when heated.

I'm not 100% sure how it works but I think it's to do with the air paths in between the gem cuts are smaller and the thermal mass from ~750 of them. That combo increases the amount of air that comes into direct contact with the heat source, plus how you said the gems weigh more than the housing, more of the thermal mass is in the direct path of the air causing more efficient convection.

The bowl is incredibly light that it feels heavier when packed, it heats so quick and I feel like the low thermal mass stops it from sucking up the heat transferring it to the herb better, it also cools quick enough that I find the sticking deals with itself but I am still looking at a passthrough adapter. The housing and bowl are so compact too, like they're wider with the 25mm coil but they seat together really compactly, it actually shocked me.

I've been in love with it since I saw it and having it in my hands has only thoroughly reinforced my opinion. I recommend the Screwball to anyone looking at getting a ball vape, the presale price also made it so much sweeter to be able to get a device this powerful and efficient so reasonably priced.

I am super excited to see all the products that get released in the future!

General Disaster

A Country Member
I'm not 100% sure how it works but I think it's to do with the air paths in between the gem cuts are smaller and the thermal mass from ~750 of them. That combo increases the amount of air that comes into direct contact with the heat source, plus how you said the gems weigh more than the housing, more of the thermal mass is in the direct path of the air causing more efficient convection.
[Nerd_mode = ON] 😖
It's much much more complicated, at least in terms of making valid predictions. It's the gems size, their shape, how it fits with it's neighbours and the air gaps between, plus the surface effects where it meets the metal, their thermal properties (conduction, specific heat capacity, and some I don't know of, I'm sure). In the end, you can make an educated guess, and try something and find it works as expected (or at least in a similar fashion), but to try and calculate it would be a horrendous and difficult task (to do effectively) I would very much surmise. hence the need to try lots of things and see what happens.
I'd guess trying to model something like that in a computer would be a job for a PhD project or something (way way beyond my, and most of our capabilities).

(btw, I know I may sometimes come across as arrogant and know-it-all to some of you, I actually welcome a logical disagreement (in a nice way ofc!). My fault but I don't know how else to communicate. 🙂)

Last edited:

SixStringToker

Naked member
I think the biggest contributor to the performance boost is the increased surface area inside the chamber with the gem-cut stones vs the 3mm balls that are common in most other heads. The downside to that is the increase in draw restriction, though that itself can contribute to running the head at a lower temp just because the air may be moving more slowly through the chamber, absorbing more heat calories. Second, imo, is how they stack - each gem has the potential to make better contact with it's neighbors, speeding up the initial heat-up and the recoveries between hits.

To get that same level of performance with regular balls, I had to step down to 2mm - that let me run at a ~ temp as the 2.5mm gemcut rubies for the same roast level with a similar draw restriction. Unfortunately, with most 20mm heads, that draw restriction is just too much for me. The larger diameter and slighty shallower ball chamber of the Screwball helps with that.

One other thing that helps the Screwball is the fact that the coil extends partially down over the bowl. Even if you're not leaving the head on the bowl long enough to get any direct conduction vaporization, the bowl does heat up much more quickly and that's less heat calories for it to leech from the heated air as it passes through.

General Disaster

A Country Member
Got a new cocobolo SB handle from @DFreeZ_Designs. It's nice and lightweight, medium length, beautiful wood. It installed easily and issue-free.
That really does look very nice! How does it fit? Is there a groove along the length, or do you need to rewire the enail to slip the cable through the handle? Or something my little brain can't work out? 🤔

Just thinking about what makes the SB such a big step up, especially for the cost, and how to distil that down to it's essence, and this is what seems to come out as the most critical and innovative points...

• Far more power - double the wattage and what looks like about double (or more?)) the area of heated element and it's contact with the capacitor. What we in the field (dickheads 😉) call a "quantum step up".
  • Far more heat storage - very wide heater and bowl internal diameter allowing far more heat capacitance and transfer.
  • Far more heat transfer - the width (again), the gem shape, the quantity and quality of materials, all making for simply more of what other makes produce. Plus neat design in the mating of the major parts to maximise the advantage of stepping up that power.

The ways of achieving the above are varied (the gems, their shape, the quantity, the shape of the container, etc etc. - just to look at one part), but it seems like some really sensible and pragmatic design decisions were made, that didn't fall in the trap of following what's worked before.
e.g. instead of worrying how to get the insufficient power available, into the capacitor and lose less to the environment, Cal seems to have just stepped up the power factor (wattage and element area) and jumped over a critical bottleneck in the workings of the vape.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

That really does look very nice! How does it fit? Is there a groove along the length, or do you need to rewire the enail to slip the cable through the handle? Or something my little brain can't work out? 🤔
Thank you! : ) You guessed it, there's a groove. It's not hard to install though sometimes a little sanding or taping is necessary:

General Disaster

A Country Member
Thank you! : ) You guessed it, there's a groove. It's not hard to install though sometimes a little sanding or taping is necessary:
Thanks! I assumed so, but I noticed that most pictures tend to hide that part, probably because it doesn't look as good for the picture, and more likely simply because the groove is going to be positioned facing down! Doh! 😉

General Disaster,
Reactions: coolbreeze
Top Bottom