The Screwball by Vapvana

Raskolnikov

Thats really good to know as i have never tried this style of vape. It is definitely by quite a measure the best vape I have used.

The cannabis hardware output of devices make me think of Apple. Throw in lots of style over function and charge a fortune for it.

Im going to look at BCG right now. Scissors are nostalgic but a pain in thearse.

Edit.
There is a 15 % Sale sitewide on grindersforlife if anyone wants a BCG

ubardog

I have my screen wedged up so high in the bowl, roughly 2mm from the top rim . I can barely squeeze 1/2 a scoop in at the moe. I much prefer it this way 2 quick blasts @460 and the bowl is done . On with a freshy if I like .

Mate come over yesterday and I dropped the screen n temp@420 and filled her up.

A lot of other vapes gathering dust right now

Last edited:

2pumpchump

Cal said the other day that coolbreeze got one with his case. Ive not seen anyone say they have not received theirs.

Still loving my screwball. The Gauze pops out the bowl regularly but its a minor inconvenience. Settled on 455 with the yellow zushi im vaping at the moment. Different strains seem to like going up or down a few degrees.

Screwball owners- Do you use one scoop or two? Occasionally use 2 and the screwball still blasts through it. Ive tried getting as much as i possibly can in the bowl, managed between 2 and 3 scoops and still the screwball says meh. It will blast through any amount with ease.

Im needing to find a more coarse grinder as mine pulverizes the herb to dust. Chopping up the herb with scissors has had good results.
The gauze/ screens sent out to me was 21mm13/16 Inch found a 19mm in My stash fits in the groove better h have some different ones I picked up from the store that are 20mm I believe .going to try them next cleaning . Now that you mentioned it I have been so happy with the bowl size I don't think I have gave it the Necra PACK A BOWL NOT JUST FILL THE TEST correctly yet !!!

2pumpchump,
Reactions: Vapvana

Raskolnikov

The gauze/ screens sent out to me was 21mm13/16 Inch found a 19mm in My stash fits in the groove better h have some different ones I picked up from the store that are 20mm I believe .going to try them next cleaning . Now that you mentioned it I have been so happy with the bowl size I don't think I have gave it the Necra PACK A BOWL NOT JUST FILL THE TEST correctly yet !!!
I've went through loads of variations and find filling the bowl level then tamping down a little works best for me.Between 450 and 460.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Thats really good to know as i have never tried this style of vape. It is definitely by quite a measure the best vape I have used.
You have, imo, picked one of, if not the best titanium ball/gem vape available. Ive owned/own vrod, b1 diffuser, b1 injector, e elev8r (ok, all glass) and various torch driven and non ball desktops. The taste and hits from the SB are, imo, superior.
The cannabis hardware output of devices make me think of Apple. Throw in lots of style over function and charge a fortune for it.
I know where you are coming from. I've been very impressed with my Ch stuff but I got in when the vrod was about £300 which I thought reasonable at the time. Prices seem very high now and plenty of smaller companies wanting into the market. Good times for us all.
Im going to look at BCG right now. Scissors are nostalgic but a pain in thearse.

Edit.
There is a 15 % Sale sitewide on grindersforlife if anyone wants a BCG
Yep, just noticed that myself. And the factory 2nds are posted immediately so no wait. They really are lovely to use - I prefer the large.
I've went through loads of variations and find filling the bowl level then tamping down a little works best for me.Between 450 and 460.
Exactly the same for me to. I love the scoop supplied. I have the much more expensive version also and the SB scoop is superb value. Adds a touch of class to the set up.

If I remember correctly the wiring is different on the ones at RVS but I imagine they will start stocking a Screwball compatible pid as they are going to be a UK retailer of the Screwball. Easy enough to change the wiring anyway. Wish it was the same wiring as RVS do an enail kit using the same pid.
I think the pid is same wiring. Worth double checking but I think you are good with the wiring.
The coil handle is my only gripe so far but I understand that it keeps the price down. I've been checking out custom UK wood workers so going to get a full set made for bowl and coil. Not sure what to go for but either cocobolo or ebony I think.
Please keep us updated on this. I understand cal is changing the bowl thread to accept aftermarket parts but I'm happy using the og and if I can source something from the UK then great.
I would definitely recommend this product and Vapvana. Cal is a chill dude to do business with.
Couldn't agree more!

Really loving how the thin bowl leads to a decent amount of conduction after a very short pre heat 5-15s
I think this makes a massive difference. The better made bowl and diffuser means a much better seal. The thinner ti heats really quickly. I've put mine on a different pid so I can see the temperature drop and within 15 secs a drop of 20f on the pid, dumped into the bowl. Great hit instantly.
Only downside is bowl sticks in the glass connection. Care when emptying. I would recommend when using on expensive glass to use a gong in case thermal expansion cause any damage.

A lot of other vapes gathering dust right now

Me too. It just reliable delivers every time.

I've also noticed that the SB seems to have the right balance in the draw.
I expected a much tighter draw with the 2.5 mm gems. When I first started to use I thought the draw similar to my b1 (uses 3mm.but is og with drilled base and added gauze adding a bit of restriction to the current version).
But during testing I found the following.
With free flowing rigs the draw is, as expected, really open. But if I change my downstem or rig to a tighter diffuser I really notice the difference with the SB.
What I mean is that on the tighter draw rig I don't notice much difference with the b1 (it's so open). But slap the SB onto the tighter rig it's really noticeable. Milks quickly. I actually had to drop my temp for the tighter draw set up.
So I'm now finding a noticeable difference using the SB on different rigs and I'm digging out some of my less used rigs to have a play.

I think what Cal has managed to build is very impressive. I was sent the unit by Matt at recommended vape supplies and I was quite cynical that I would find much difference. I love my b1 set up and didn't believe the SB would provide any difference.
Pleased to be very wrong with this!

It's a fantastic deal.

I tested it on a couple recyclers and it does really well among baller heads.
Great news as I have a cc influx coming soon.
The Screwball has become my most used vape the day it arrived, really great work :rockon:
Seems to be a common view at the moment.

Hope Cal does really well with this one.

I've a cc zirc zeal coming soon so very interested to try to against zirc. Great times to fuck combustion....

Have a great weekend everyone. I know those in the SB club will do so effortlessly!

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I'm curious about how well it works with smaller bowls. I like the ability to blast through a half a gram (we all have those days) but if the vape will live on my desk, I'd love to be able to do as little as a dyna bowl or two at a time.

Also, how much conduction can be introduced? I love conduction in my bowls, it hits different for me.

coolbreeze

I'm curious about how well it works with smaller bowls. I like the ability to blast through a half a gram (we all have those days) but if the vape will live on my desk, I'd love to be able to do as little as a dyna bowl or two at a time.
A Dyna load or two would work but not much less, the screen is kind of broad but an M+ load will do a nice cover:
IMG-5173.jpg

I struggled with this myself a bit then Cal suggested filling it and treating it like a session vape, sipping over time. This works really well for getting a good roast at very low temps (~400f) which preserves the flavor deep into the bowl, no stirring necessary. A snap will more or less work, but you'll have to turn up some.
Also, how much conduction can be introduced? I love conduction in my bowls, it hits different for me.
I haven't left the heater on the bowl, tbh, but given the fit and thinness of the metal I imagine the conduction can be strong.

Bababouy

I find myself using a scoop and a half to two scoops and filling it to the brim. Otherwise the temps need to be cranked up with smaller bowls. As others have stated you’re better off loading it up and “sipping” than trying to make microdose bowls. I would love to see a more shallow bowl option in the future and I believe Cal may be working towards making that happen.

Bababouy,
Reactions: Vapvana

Raskolnikov

Please keep us updated on this. I understand cal is changing the bowl thread to accept aftermarket parts but I'm happy using the og and if I can source something from the UK then great.
Ive been looking at these guys for custom bowl handle and main handle.

I find myself using a scoop and a half to two scoops and filling it to the brim. Otherwise the temps need to be cranked up with smaller bowls. As others have stated you’re better off loading it up and “sipping” than trying to make microdose bowls. I would love to see a more shallow bowl option in the future and I believe Cal may be working towards making that happen.
I fill it with two scoops too then tamp down. I rip it in two goes though.

Raskolnikov

I know somewhere Cal mentioned that he prefers not to tamp down and I find my AVB to be more consistent when I resist the urge.
I can't say I've noticed. I only give it the slightest of touches to give it a uniform flat surface. I fill the bowl, give it a ding to level off then slightly tamp. Then I'm off to the moon. I've got some yellow Zushi in the screwball just now and it's stunning. Even after using a few weeks I still get shocked at how baked I get off this device. I've not had a dab all weekend and not missing them with the Screwball and Zushi combo.

Oden

A half bowl insert like the infinity bowl from OWW would be the fire.
0.2g closest to the diffuser will allow greater efficiency to finish the bowl in one draw.
But I also don't see the point of making a micro-dosing bowl for the Screwball.

Bababouy

0.2g closest to the diffuser will allow greater efficiency to finish the bowl in one draw.
I think for me it’s wanting hit a fresh smaller bowl every time rather than coming back to it over and over with the same material. A half/third should be perfect. Anything smaller I would consider another head.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
The point, for me, is that I usually get more efficiency out of smaller loads, so that's what I generally do to end my day or whatever. However, on the weekend I want to get blasted and, as simple as swapping vapes is, I'd rather have one single vape that can handle a small amount or a large amount.

My b-0 handles a lot well. But only a lot.

The z8 handles a little bit well. But only a little bit.

The b-2 that I sold was the closest thing I ever had to what I want and even then the bowl was too deep to get a good roast off a little bit. If the screwball had 2-3 grooves for the screen to sit in it would at least give the option of having different sized loads without Sacrificing efficiency. On top of this, the airflow from the wider vapes and bowls is easier on my throat and lungs, despite my desire for smaller bowls

RedZep

What is the deal with this one? What does it aim to do differently?

I saw Thinkdank video on it. They were very impressed. They mentioned the designer wanted the device to perform optimally with low temp extraction? Does it achieve this? How does it achieve this?

Is the thin bowl thin on purpose? To what end?

coolbreeze

What is the deal with this one? What does it aim to do differently?

I saw Thinkdank video on it. They were very impressed. They mentioned the designer wanted the device to perform optimally with low temp extraction? Does it achieve this? How does it achieve this?
It does achieve this. I think he's created a good airflow with the head being sort of wide and shallow with a perforated cap and bottom screen. The gem chamber is deep enough and the gems create enough surface for the air to heat sufficiently, Together they allow a lot of hot air flow the very close distance to the wide shallow herb bed (relatively speaking). The diffuser style mating ensures evenness and no green ring; the thin metal is to allow conduction. My understanding is it works best fully loaded, heated up through conduction, and then pulled as needed with no stirring. Higher temps will make it effectively a one hitter, as Cal's videos have shown, but it really shines (for me) down around 400-440f. Flavor stays good for awhile and the roast is perfectly even with no stirring over 6 or more big hits.
Is the thin bowl thin on purpose? To what end?
I think he intends conduction as part of the process. The coil even extends about halfway down the bowl when mated. Some folks like the flavor, some folks like the stoney quality it adds to the roast. I have not really tried it this way since I'm trying to extend the flavor of the herbs over several hits rather than few stoney lungbusters, but I think that's the idea.

It works really well and the use/flavor/effects are all great and it's priced well. I'd definitely recommend it especially to those who are looking for a big hit, though it does really nicely in session mode, too.

One thing worth mentioning, use an adapter or dropdown, the bowl may stick sometimes.

Last edited:

RedZep

It does achieve this. I think he's created a good airflow with the head being sort of wide and shallow with a perforated cap and bottom screen. The gem chamber is deep enough and the gems create enough surface for the air to heat sufficiently, Together they allow a lot of hot air flow the very close distance to the wide shallow herb bed (relatively speaking). The diffuser style mating ensures evenness and no green ring; the thin metal is to allow conduction. My understanding is it works best fully loaded, heated up through conduction, and then pulled as needed with no stirring. Higher temps will make it effectively a one hitter, as Cal's videos have shown, but it really shines (for me) down around 400-440f. Flavor stays good for awhile and the roast is perfectly even with no stirring over 6 or more big hits.

I think he intends conduction as part of the process. The coil even extends about halfway down the bowl when mated. Some folks like the flavor, some folks like the stoney quality it adds to the roast. I have not really tried it this way since I'm trying to extend the flavor of the herbs over several hits rather than few stoney lungbusters, but I think that's the idea.

It works really well and the use/flavor/effects are all great and it's priced well. I'd definitely recommend it especially to those who are looking for a big hit, though it does really nicely in session mode, too.

One thing worth mentioning, use an adapter or dropdown, the bowl may stick sometimes.
I really appreciate the detailed answer. Seems a really interesting device. Definetely on my radar now.

the_hexx

Team Hash
I find that my B0 works pretty well at low temps. At 430F on the DC pid I can get a few good lighter hits before I crank it up to 550-600F and finish off the load. The Screwball appears to be an interesting concept, but would it make a difference big enough to justify a potential purchase?

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I find that my B0 works pretty well at low temps. At 430F on the DC pid I can get a few good lighter hits before I crank it up to 550-600F and finish off the load. The Screwball appears to be an interesting concept, but would it make a difference big enough to justify a potential purchase?
The b-2 and b-0 are different enough to warrant a couple purchases imo. I feel this screwball would likely be even more different. More conduction and different, more efficient airflow compared to the b-0.

coolbreeze

They both are very open. I just did a quick pull test on the same rig, same dropdown, SBL injector bowl + adapter for one, vapvana bowl for the other. The Screwball felt marginally tighter but the recycler functioned about the same as the B0.
The b-2 and b-0 are different enough to warrant a couple purchases imo. I feel this screwball would likely be even more different. More conduction and different, more efficient airflow compared to the b-0.
Definitely on the conduction and very close on the openness, I'd say. I think that the jewel-cut stones fit closer than the balls so there's added restriction, mitigated in this case by the depth of the head, which leaves it open enough to compare with the B0. It's hard to explain what I think I'm feeling! ; )

I think for @the_hexx, the differences are similar to that between the B0 and the ZX: the larger size allows more air to pass over a larger roasting area, so the Screwball should feel even 'bigger' in a sense. Practically speaking, I'm not sure you could do the same .35g one-hit roast with the B0, fwiw. Also you'd get much better conduction with the Screwball, if you dig that.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
They both are very open. I just did a quick pull test on the same rig, same dropdown, SBL injector bowl + adapter for one, vapvana bowl for the other. The Screwball felt marginally tighter but the recycler functioned about the same as the B0.
I've been testing the draw using my b1 and SB, both diffuser.
on open rigs very little difference, both very open.
I then tried a much tighter downstem and there was a noticeable difference with the SB more restrictive and milking much faster. It was a very pleasant surprise.
To me the SB draw is impacted by the rig being used and I really like that.
So the SB can be really open or more restrictive depending on the set up. More variation and fun imo.

Oh, and great review and information @coolbreeze . Very insightful as usual!

coolbreeze

I then tried a much tighter downstem and there was a noticeable difference with the SB more restrictive and milking much faster. It was a very pleasant surprise.
To me the SB draw is impacted by the rig being used and I really like that.
So the SB can be really open or more restrictive depending on the set up. More variation and fun imo.
That's a great observation and I agree about the variation, and the fun. Gonna have to try different things to see how it works with my pipes. There's the rub, though: one hit in and I'm an unreliable observer. ; )

Raskolnikov

Can I ask the Screwball owners who bought their unit. What did you get as a free gift? Think it was a grinder, a pass through, a dyna stem or a bubbler if in the US that the buyers were to receive if buying the early adopters pack.
Another question. Does your bowl always get stuck? I've tried various bubblers and a pile of carbed pass through adaptors and it sticks every bowl I do. Only asking as it said in the promo posts it doesn't stick and am wondering if I am doing something wrong.
Another thing, anyone know retail release date yet as that's when I've to get my Dyna tip and stem that I won. It was agreed between myself and Cal in DMs that he would send the prize when I purchased the unit and he gave me free shipping as he would have been shipping the Dyna anyway. Now I've to get it when the retail revisions are sent out.
Still love the Screwball, just been thinking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom