Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzyvapeman

Combusted a bit today with the DDave v2 wand, it's definitely much harder to tell the temp of the vapor with the long wand.

I dipped a q tip in ISO and rubbed down the female joint and bottom of the heating chamber a couple times, but there's still a noticeable combustion smell.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do to get rid of the smell? Will the smell go away on its own over time?

mucsusn

60 going on 20
Combusted a bit today with the DDave v2 wand, it's definitely much harder to tell the temp of the vapor with the long wand.

I dipped a q tip in ISO and rubbed down the female joint and bottom of the heating chamber a couple times, but there's still a noticeable combustion smell.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do to get rid of the smell? Will the smell go away on its own over time?
I find that ISO doesn't quite get rid of every smell, also, so I always finish off with some hot, soapy dish detergent like Dawn, then a good cold water rinse. You can also put Borosilicate in the oven at 350 and just let it bake for awhile, which will oxidize anything that is volatile up to that heat threshold.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X

I agree with @mucsusn about iso not getting rid of EVERY smell.

Try submerging the entire price in warm iso

THEN wash it with soap.

Warm iso is a game changer if you haven't tried it.

Submersion is key too as there are burnt resins lingering somewhere...hence the taste

jazzyvapeman

I agree with @mucsusn about iso not getting rid of EVERY smell.

Try submerging the entire price in warm iso

THEN wash it with soap.

Warm iso is a game changer if you haven't tried it.

Submersion is key too as there are burnt resins lingering somewhere...hence the taste
I find that ISO doesn't quite get rid of every smell, also, so I always finish off with some hot, soapy dish detergent like Dawn, then a good cold water rinse. You can also put Borosilicate in the oven at 350 and just let it bake for awhile, which will oxidize anything that is volatile up to that heat threshold.

Thanks for the suggestions to clean the wand piece. What about the Milaana herself?

Smoke1ForMe

......great living in s.f....my package from ddave (18mm milaana vapor cooler) is here already...just ordered yesterday...firing up now...cheers...thanks ddave..

q3lG9HE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/q3lG9HE.jpg

Mine is out for delievey!! Can't wait to get home from work

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
My @DDave vapor cooler was actually delivered yesterday and I didn't even check the mail because I didn't think it would be here!

Unfortunately, mine bottoms out and does not get a good seal. I believe this is an issue with MY UNIT, not the wand. However, it still seems to work fine and I got several good hits just now on a single bowl. The vapor was cool and tasty. Love it.

Anybody have any idea if there is a solution for making this thing seal before it bottoms out?

justvapin,
Reactions: ragnorokk

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I think this may be way I have an aversion to glass stems with my Milaana.

Either they move around in the joint too much, or my lips are abnormally sticky because every time, the stem gets stuck to my lip. Some of the glass stems work, like the colored stock one I got, but the 14mm ones don't fit snug and always get pulled off.

Using the wand isn't a big deal because that never ends in me pulling it out, but we'll see when the v3 comes!

I think a solution would be to use a piece of silicon on the male joint to force a seal.

muunch,

justvapin

Yep. Seems my female joint is just not as deep as others. If the male is not pretty short, it's no bueno.
I've had this issue with other pieces I've gotten. Only the original stems I got with the unit seem to fit well, and did get one 18 to 14mm reducer that fit well.

A couple of wraps with some teflon tape would probably create a seal, if that helps you understand my dilemma. It bottoms out on the mesh screen before the sides of the glass joint create a seal. It works, but it's a bit "airy" and I'm not too keen on it hitting the heater screen.

justvapin,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Yeah, I have a few stems with that issue so I know exactly what you mean.

Let me know how it works if you try the teflon. I may try silicon but idk.

I also don't care too terribly much since wood stems alleviate the issue altogether but would be nice for the times if/when I wanna use glass.

muunch,

Cl4ud3

Yep. Seems my female joint is just not as deep as others. If the male is not pretty short, it's no bueno.
I've had this issue with other pieces I've gotten. Only the original stems I got with the unit seem to fit well, and did get one 18 to 14mm reducer that fit well.

A couple of wraps with some teflon tape would probably create a seal, if that helps you understand my dilemma. It bottoms out on the mesh screen before the sides of the glass joint create a seal. It works, but it's a bit "airy" and I'm not too keen on it hitting the heater screen.
Did you measure the depth of your bowl ? I'm sure you need an inch clearance for the @DDave mod to fit properly
from DDaves site :-
Note: In order to use this kit, your Milaana must have at least an inch space from the top opening of the oven down to the heater screen. DO NOT order this kit if your Milaana has less space as I cannot guaranteed the kit will work.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
The reducer works great. It fits very snug... Been using beeswax actually bc of how snug...

It's the stems I have issues with

muunch,
Reactions: DDave

justvapin

Well, I just compared the V3 to an original stem that seats well. It is exactly the same length. It appears that the issue is with the diameter of the male joint, it appears to be a tiny bit smaller and therefore bottoms out before it meets on the sides. As @muunch said, my reducer fits snug but the stems are an issue for me. I do have exactly one inch of depth to the heater screen.

I slid a small piece of silicone on the male piece to get a good seal and keep if from hitting the heater mesh, but it has to be held in place like this. Not ideal, but I did just get another huge hit!!

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Wood stems fix everything, just saying. :)

I will update once I use the 14mm portion of that bamboo stem to try microdosing so I can avoid glass completely.
I think silicone on the male joint may be better than the reducer since there is less glass soaking heat but idk.

muunch,
Reactions: ZC

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Did you measure the depth of your bowl ? I'm sure you need an inch clearance for the @DDave mod to fit properly
from DDaves site :-
Note: In order to use this kit, your Milaana must have at least an inch space from the top opening of the oven down to the heater screen. DO NOT order this kit if your Milaana has less space as I cannot guaranteed the kit will work.

The reducer works great. It fits very snug... Been using beeswax actually bc of how snug...

It's the stems I have issues with

Well, I just compared the V3 to an original stem that seats well. It is exactly the same length. It appears that the issue is with the diameter of the male joint, it appears to be a tiny bit smaller and therefore bottoms out before it meets on the sides. As @muunch said, my reducer fits snug but the stems are an issue for me. I do have exactly one inch of depth to the heater screen.

I slid a small piece of silicone on the male piece to get a good seal and keep if from hitting the heater mesh, but it has to be held in place like this. Not ideal, but I did just get another huge hit!!

:bang:

This issue drives me bananananananas!

I just sacrificed my normal daytime sobriety to have a Mil session with a new 18mm stem and basket screen. Just pulled the pieces out of inventory as if I was packing a kit.
Fit my Milaana like a glove!!!! :shrug:

Logical deduction, the oven on my test unit has a slightly smaller ID than others. Since glass is hand made, this is the most likely possibility.

Will work on solution to this. With holiday shipping volumes delaying all carrier activities, this is unfortunately going to slow down the process... but it will be done.

Note: The stems in my kits are sourced from different supplier than are the 18mm Vapor Coolers. I have no reported issues on the 18mm Coolers.

justvapin

Thanks @DDave. For the record, and I want to be clear about this-----I am not the least bit upset about this, and somewhat expected it based on my previous experiences. I was hoping the "differences in glass" would work in my favor this time around, but no such luck. I am not complaining, and knew this could happen. Just wanted to provide feedback.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Thanks @DDave. For the record, and I want to be clear about this-----I am not the least bit upset about this, and somewhat expected it based on my previous experiences. I was hoping the "differences in glass" would work in my favor this time around, but no such luck. I am not complaining, and knew this could happen. Just wanted to provide feedback.
My Friend, no worries. I need this feedback so I can improve kits and ensure that when you order pieces or kits from me, that they work.

This is not resented by any means.... the opposite, it is much appreciated!

Once I have a solution, will circle back with you and @muunch :cheers:

AJS

Calm Consistency
My super hot backup Milaana (first batch of recessed glass Milaanas back in ... Late June I believe?) has a permanent spot in my car with the 14mm plopped in her.
We're on day #5 with the same battery without recharge. Over 10 stems for sure, 14mm stems, but stems nonetheless. .5-1second preheat is all i need and I only have a few seconds on the throttle total in a hit, because the power is just so stupid, that the battery life seems never ending.

My spalted stays at home and gets used over water and with all kinds of fun setups. No combustion yet and that unit is much more stable temperature so I can hold better flavors longer.

Nice having best of both worlds, I'm very thankful for the variety in my units.

Still looking for a new vape ... Not thankful for vas (probably the holidaze gettin to me).

Milaana will be #1 for a very very long time tho. (Until Zion gets here to be exact).

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Anybody have any idea if there is a solution for making this thing seal before it bottoms out?

60 grit sandpaper will sand it back relatively quickly and then smooth off and round the edges with 80 grit worked great for me.

60 starts to chip the glass ever so slightly so I would not go any courser than that or you end up spending more time later to sand back the chipped glass with finer grades.

Only sand as much as you need or you may end up with the screen not fitting (if it is like mine with the internal part getting wider up the stem)

Good luck

justvapin

60 grit sandpaper will sand it back relatively quickly and then smooth off and round the edges with 80 grit worked great for me.

60 starts to chip the glass ever so slightly so I would not go any courser than that or you end up spending more time later to sand back the chipped glass with finer grades.

Only sand as much as you need or you may end up with the screen not fitting (if it is like mine with the internal part getting wider up the stem)

Good luck
Thanks! Didn't realize I could sand glass like that.....knew it could be cut with a dremel etc., but I'm not up for that task.....this could be the ticket!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom