• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The "Project" DIY Herbal Vaporizer

E0x

another question @Pipes the wood hole and the inner steel tube holes have to be align ? because i find it hard align it and stay in that way.

E0x,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
The pieces should align up reasonably. There are some imperfections due to the tooling and me not being the best at the craft. Getting better though. The most important part is the installation of the first Oring around the heating tube before inserting the screen. This ring must provide a good seal. If this ring is not sitting correctly it could make the tube go more to one side. A wooden skewer of coffee stirrer works well to poke it down. The top three rings are mainly to hold the stem in place but also need to provide a reasonable seal.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I received your package Pipes!

Can't wait to test it but my Evic mini is coming from Singapore and can't be expected at home before the next week.

Yes there is some imperfections but it makes every atty unique!

The taste I got while drawing(cold) is it coming from the wood butter or from the black taint?

I decided to wait for the Evic and to not try to power it with a VV/VW device if it could cause combustion and the bad taste will pollute my brand new device...

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Just caught wind of this thread. Super interesting.

You're right about the tech advancements paving the way for cloners, so keeping this sort of thing open source is a good idea. I could see the dry herb 510 friendly world becoming popular in the upcoming years. The idea of being able to customize your setup in a modular sort of way is so appealing for some reason..

Cannabis and creativity go hand in hand I think.

Also, you can order mica tubes in pretty much any size. I would look into it for the ID of the coil chamber, could be a cheap way to insulate a steel tube and keep it from robbing the heat.

For the heater wire, there is a ton of open dead space where most of the air is passing by unheated (at least that's my opinion). Instead of focusing on a way of creating turbulence before or after the coil, why not create the turbulence inside the coil with a matrix more like a mesh or honeycomb. Hairdryers, for instance, have been doing this sort of thing for years.

Heating air is different that heating liquid in contact with a coil. So there needs to be a departure from e-cig tech here, I think.

But don't get me wrong, this whole thread, and the bulli thread, is massively inspiring.. and it seems like you guys are achieving great results anyhow.

I'm not too well versed in coil building also, and I'm sure there is something I am missing, such as the electron flow through a foam medium (if using a SS metal foam element, for example)..

What about twisted or wrapped coils?

Also, take a look at this In-line cartridge heater with a long coil mounted in a ceramic housing.

efeb5db08b4ba66d79701a067fe49ab7

What are the disadvantages of using a longer coil like in this cartridge design to get more efficient heat transfer to the incoming air? You could probably use a lower coil temp.

Another idea would be to make a coil out of flat wire, and coil it tightly into a spiral like a car cigarette lighter, with overall diameter of the coil equal to the inside diameter of your insulated chamber, so the air is forced through this tight spiral...

Really, there are lots of ways this could go.. I'm excited to see what people experiment with!

Last edited:
have you device a smell and taste of paint ?
The taste I got while drawing(cold) is it coming from the wood butter
Mine smelled of linseed oil like pipes mentioned. I'm used to it I suppose, I've oiled other vapes with BLO. The smell wears off pretty quick, its an all natural oil.
you have to draw more slowly with the glass i don't why , maybe you have more suction ?
For water pipe usuage I believe the project would benefit from an additional air hole, I plan to make my own eventually, cant obscure the pipes project ™ original. I bump my temp up a click or two to finish my bowl through glass as well.

I've hit a sweet spot at 135 TCR and 45w. Max temp doesn't glow and its got enough power to go through a nano gong 3 hits. With the original stem my temps have to be a little lower. More vetting over the weekend I'm sure, just tried a gob of qwiso on some cotton. This is science.
BEi4nV0.jpg

this NO-NEED-TO-WAIT-FOR-VAPE is really liking me , this is the flowermate mini mouthpiece using only the glass and silicon part.

Are you just using the gap as a bowl? My favorite set up is still the nano stems, this design lends itself well to the adjustable screen.

E0x

@KeroZen i dont understand the question, i use the silicone thing ( ring? ) that come with the mouthpiece of the FM too, not just the glass part.

@nondarb yes , now the chamber is more bigger that with the wood mouthpiece , i load the same amount and the extra room let the herb move more so is cook more evently but still there some hot spot.
EPAMoVF.jpg

Long time lurker of FC, finally registered because of the shear awesomeness of this thing you've built Pipes! Great job to all that has had a hand in this! I've read most of your Bulli thread and was ready to start building my own until I found your Projects link. Do you have any more for sale? (I'll send you a PM as well).

Regarding the Teflon insulator, would a ceramic washer like http://www.ortechceramics.com/products/uncategorized/ceramic-washers/ work? I think it would be nice to get rid of the Teflon, but without a good substitute I don't see it as being a show stopper. Lots of food products come in contact with Teflon/silicone at high temp. As long as it doesn't melt I've read it's essentially inert. But not as inert as ceramic :)

I'm sold on the evic mini, but what battery should I pair it with? I read towards the beginning of this thread that you need a good one. I'm new to all of the ecig parts so I want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks!

I think it would be nice to get rid of the Teflon, but without a good substitute I don't see it as being a show stopper.

To alleviate concerns about Teflon consider the fact that the Minivap is laboratory tested and medically certified (one of very few), its has a Teflon core. Its widely regarded as one of the safest and most pure vaporizers on the market, albeit at a steep price.

I'm not a fan of plastics either, but Teflon is well vetted and deemed safe for this sort of use. Unfortunately its an irregular washer, a top hat shape. I've been racking my brain to come up with an alternative, but it would likely have to be custom made regardless of material. Ceramic would likely be too fragile, same with mica (which I've been considering). I'm sure there's a work around, but it would likely require changing some other parts too.

Edit: welcome to FC!

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Unfortunately, until my 14mm SS tube supplier restocks or I can find another SS tubing source, I'm out of commission.
I got some 1/2" but found not wide enough to fit the Ego adapter. Want to stick with 14mm as I know it works well and makes stem size very interchangeable with stems already available.
@Renthispace, welcome to the FC forum. Thanks for the link to the ceramic washers. May come in useful. Too bad they don't have with the inner lip to keep the washer centered and from shorting. Could use a lower ground side washer with a bigger hole but might take little more to center it up.
Thanks to a PM from @Renthispace, I will be back in business before too long. Ordered some tubing from this guy.
For batteries, the Sony VTC4s have been working well for me.

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
another question @Pipes the wood hole and the inner steel tube holes have to be align ? because i find it hard align it and stay in that way.
Sorry @E0x, I was re-reading and realized I mis-understood your question here.
The holes don't need to align and in fact the more mis-aligned the better. Mainly to help cool the outside and preheat the intake air. This is more important in using in cold weather.
BTW, I have tested in weather around the 32F mark and had very good results. Just bump up the temp a notch or two. Would be a good vape for the ski hills. Not that, that matters to me...lol

Pipes,
Reactions: E0x

E0x

nice Find of the tubing , i was looking for it too !!! , i want do some pre-filled-moutpiece chamber
with the tube and flowermate mouthpiece which i already order thx @Renthispace and @Pipes for share the findings

E0x,
Reactions: Pipes

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
My only concern, and might not be significant, is the wall thickness is 1.5mm whereas the stuff I had was 1mm. I emailed him and asked if he has anything 14mm and thinner wall.
We shall see.

Pipes,

E0x

combustion happen 3 time yesterday using the same setting(255c , sometime 260c,265c ) i use the past weekend but not sure if now me herb is more dry or what ( the weather is very hot here these days ) but the same setting don't work well , so my recommendation is keep eye on this and start with low temp and go up from there.

bagelbanger

Hey team! So I'm really digging this little contraption! Got all the pieces in the mail this past week and got it all together on Tuesday afternoon. A quick check in with @Pipes via pm to check my settings and away we go!

This thing ROCKS!!! Great flavor, temp control, on demand, big fat rips, awesome. Kinda been waiting for something like this for a while and can easily see how this could replace a bunch of my other vapes. Easy to load, easy to carry, easy to grab a few hits on the go and Stash it away. Not really anything to bitch about but maybe a few things to put out there to help out the greater good and quench my curiosity....

I sometimes see 'weak battery' pop up on the display even tho batt is fully charged. Goes away pretty quickly. Is it just the load on the battery and kinda how it works?

Does anyone know if any other stems fit this and work safely? I tried my shorty air stem and it was tight, didn't really want to stretch it out. Saw the enano fits but I don't have one of those. Was curious if any of the flowermates fit directly. Saw a three pack with silicone, glass, and another mp and thought, damn, those would work nicely if they fit. @Pipes stem works really good, wish it was slightly shorter for stealth missions.

Any way the wooden sleeve could be slightly longer to accommodate more o-rings so the stem was a bit more secure? Doesn't really bother me at all, just wondering if it could be a bit tighter so it won't separate in my pocket.

Just some things to put out there but by no means negatives. I'm really enjoying this device and have already pushed aside a few of my daily drivers. This really is a game changer and a shit ton of fun to use. I can't wait to really learn what different settings do and eventually I will purchase a herc cart to run oil on the same device.

Really amazing work @Pipes.

Thanks you!!

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
Same situation as @Quetzalcoatl
My unit came today but no mod box yet!!
That's OK, because when I have everything, it's on!

I went around locally and saw a few shops had the Evic VTC mini. .....$75

The Evic VTC mini can be found online around USD40 or so from reputable sellers.

I got the cuboid (evics slightly bigger bro with 2x batts) for $37 from: www.vapingcheap.com/2016/03/joyetech-cuboid-box-mod took 3 days free shipping. I'm sure they have some deals on the evic as well.

combustion happen 3 time yesterday using the same setting(255c , sometime 260c,265c ) i use the past weekend but not sure if now me herb is more dry or what ( the weather is very hot here these days ) but the same setting don't work well , so my recommendation is keep eye on this and start with low temp and go up from there.

Are you sure your resistance is locked? I've only had this issue when changing between attys or not letting a deck cool down between adjustments. I've been using mine all week with 0 combustion, then again I stir pretty regularly. I treat mine and have it running like a warm log, big hit or two stir ect.

I sometimes see 'weak battery' pop up on the display even tho batt is fully charged. Goes away pretty quickly. Is it just the load on the battery and kinda how it works?

Never seen that pop up on any of my builds unless I were low on battery, are you using high drain batteries?

I've added a 510 heatsink and love it, its not necessary for heat (at all, deck doesn't get hot) but it provides a means to screw and unscrew the project without having to remove the wooden sleeve. Fun stuff

nondarb,
Reactions: KeroZen

E0x

@nondarb is locked , maybe is my draw speed not sure . now i have it at 230c just fine so far, maybe the FM mouthpiece i am using is helping it too because of the narrow input hole focus all hot air in one point ( and getting that hot spot ), but again i was using it the last weekend at 255c with the same mouthpiece but sure the hot spot was there so i need open the chamber and stir a bit the herb.

somebody have this stem that can try it with the project ?
http://www.puffitup.com/Arizer-Wong-p/ed.air-bog.htm
thanks

E0x,
Reactions: KeroZen

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
The Evic VTC mini can be found online around USD40 or so from reputable sellers.
I know, i ordered it already from fastech. Its just not here yet. Like I said, same situation as @Quetzalcoatl. I was saying I went into my LH and saw it for $75......merely an observation at this point.

@KeroZen (hi BTW it's been a while)
If @Pipes recommends them, then it should be fine.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Are we sure the fasttech ones are genuine? On the page for the two cells version they say that they removed the security verification stickers "on purpose"... I wonder what purpose that is? :shrug:

KeroZen,
Are we sure the fasttech ones are genuine? On the page for the two cells version they say that they removed the security verification stickers "on purpose"... I wonder what purpose that is? :shrug:

Pretty certain @Pipes advised against buying mods from China after receiving a fake. IIRC the fake didn't have custom TCR settings?

@nondarb is locked , maybe is my draw speed not sure . now i have it at 230c just fine so far, maybe the FM mouthpiece i am using is helping it too because of the narrow input hole focus all hot air in one point ( and getting that hot spot ), but again i was using it the last weekend at 255c with the same mouthpiece but sure the hot spot was there so i need open the chamber and stir a bit the herb.

somebody have this stem that can try it with the project ?
http://www.puffitup.com/Arizer-Wong-p/ed.air-bog.htm
thanks

Sometimes I forget others arent jamming nano stems in theirs lol. My screens depth is a little farther away than the original pipes stem, I experimented a lot with it to find my own magic distance. Maybe trying/making something with a basket screen to adjust would help?

Eds solo and air stems are too tight to fit unfortunately, then again none of my solo/air stems fit aside from an irregularly small Chinese GONG. Eds really cool though, give him a shout I'm sure he would be willing to make you something or point you in the direction of something that will work. I'm unsure if his nano gongs are the same OD as the glass originals since its the ID that's important for use on the nano though.

I'm partial to that bogwood you posted however, 5,000 year old stem seems awfully neat..

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Pretty certain @Pipes advised against buying mods from China after receiving a fake. IIRC the fake didn't have custom TCR settings?

Then if it's true maybe it would be wise if the "currently recommended" links on the very first post of this thread linked to the manufacturer website product pages instead of fasttech direct buy links?

KeroZen,
Reactions: nondarb
Top Bottom