Discontinued The Okin by D.M. Pipes

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
This is a bamboo charcoal wooden vaporizer? Did I get that correct? The only way to order one of these is through Dan currently? How much are they going for? It seems like it's a first come, first serve for the first 10 of the month or something correct.
No bamboo anymore. The wooden body and the charcoals used to be bamboo but they're made of hardwood now. The charcoals are made from maple, if I recall correctly, and the body is..... I forget what kind of wood the body is. It's been a while since I read through the thread. Cocobolo, I think? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

As for your other questions, yes these are only available through Dan, and they cost around $150. A steal, if you ask me, considering how beautiful they are and how much hard work goes into making each one.

:peace:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
the body is..... I forget what kind of wood the body is. It's been a while since I read through the thread. Cocobolo, I think? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.
No correction required bud, just the addition of an African blackwood tip :tup:

But again, I'm sure someone can correct me, should I have just made that up . . . sorry, it's late & I am :zzz:

:peace:

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Wow this thing is beautiful.

So much for keeping my piece of functional art as a unused display piece. Two bowl deep and loving it. Certainly will never be my daily driver but it has that smoking feel and i love it.

First bowl i got a few decent hits, and my ABV was still green! Second bowl i got a ton of rips, most of the load came out pretty dark and well spent but it wasn't even. There was some specks of green. More practice needed, but i sure have had fun so far. I need to shoot a video for sure. Cheers all.

sixstringsmash

Just received my okin #53 today and I must say it is beautiful! I'm going to the store to pick up some mineral oil to treat this baby then I'm going to come right back and try this gorgeous work of art out. Will update with pictures in a few hours.

Modnote: Back to back posts merged

As promised here's some pictures of my brand spankin new Okin

www.imgur.com/a/njNbx

Last edited by a moderator:

sixstringsmash

Yeah it definitely has a very "cool" feel to holding and hitting it. The vapor from this thing is top tier too. I guess the charcoal helps cool down the hit to some extent because their is almost zero harshness that comes with hitting this unlike almost any other portable I've owned.

°k

The sound of vapor
So #41 has just landed! Dan sent it last Friday and it has arrived across the ocean this Tuesday, I hardly had time to wait for it (not complaining!) and it got through customs untaxed (not complaining either!).

I've asked Dan who has been kind enough to work on this with me for a slightly customized blackwood stem with finer curves and I find the result very nice and elegant (I have the regular cocobolo stem too as I wanted to have the Okin the way it was designed by its creator).

Here it is before use:
before.jpg

So I had to give it a shot of course and here are my first impressions.
  • The Okin has a nice size, not too small in hand, definitely not bulky, basically like a pen (see below for size comparison with other portables).
  • Preparing the coal with the little drill provided by Dan was easy and as others have mentioned quite ritualistic.
  • Lighting it up took a few seconds (maybe 10-15?) with a single flame jet lighter (again ritualistic).
  • It produces lot of vapour very easily and the extraction of the actives seems to be rather efficient. :D
  • The hits can be pretty smooth but I can see how it is easy to combust if you hit too much (there is 0 draw resistance) which I kinda did on my first try resulting in uneven avb with quite a few black bits. Second try with a fresh load and the same coal was much more even as I was more cautious, maybe too much as I could have hit it more looking at the avb.
  • The coal needs to be re-lit if you take your time too much (I think it's a plus if you like to take a couple of hits and wait a few minutes before the next ones.
I'm very satisfied so far and I know I can improve my technique by quite a bit; I believe it's a vape for when you can take your time and enjoy and I intend to do exactly so!

Here it is, chilling after use (with more light so the black on black stamp shows):

after.jpg

size_comp.jpg

Concluding this with 3 words: Thank you Dan! :nod:

sixstringsmash

That blackwood stem is a thing of beauty. Very nice piece you have there.

@Dan Morrison I had one question for you regarding the longevity of the coals. I'm noticing already that I doubt my coals will last me much more than a year so I was thinking of asking you about ordering a bulk order of 1000 or 2000 coals. My only worry would be about the shelf life of the charcoal though. Will it burn as well in two or three years from now if I just kep them in my cupboard?

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
That blackwood stem is a thing of beauty. Very nice piece you have there.

@Dan Morrison I had one question for you regarding the longevity of the coals. I'm noticing already that I doubt my coals will last me much more than a year so I was thinking of asking you about ordering a bulk order of 1000 or 2000 coals. My only worry would be about the shelf life of the charcoal though. Will it burn as well in two or three years from now if I just kep them in my cupboard?

The shelf life should be just fine for years. I would send them in smaller vacuum sealed bags so that you could keep them sealed untill you need them. It's best to keep your charcoal in a ziplock or tupperware just to keep it from soakin' up moisture. Either way I have not found any difference in keeping them in a container or not.

If you're thinking of a bulk order that large just give me a week or so notice so I can stock up!

sixstringsmash

That is good to hear about the shelf life of the charcoal thank you for the information Dan. I won't need to contact you now since I still have a few hundred charcoals at my disposal but it's good to know that you are able to do an order like that so you may get a message from me in a month or two about that :)

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
So #41 has just landed! Dan sent it last Friday and it has arrived across the ocean this Tuesday, I hardly had time to wait for it (not complaining!) and it got through customs untaxed (not complaining either!).

I've asked Dan who has been kind enough to work on this with me for a slightly customized blackwood stem with finer curves and I find the result very nice and elegant (I have the regular cocobolo stem too as I wanted to have the Okin the way it was designed by its creator).

Here it is before use:
before.jpg

So I had to give it a shot of course and here are my first impressions.
  • The Okin has a nice size, not too small in hand, definitely not bulky, basically like a pen (see below for size comparison with other portables).
  • Preparing the coal with the little drill provided by Dan was easy and as others have mentioned quite ritualistic.
  • Lighting it up took a few seconds (maybe 10-15?) with a single flame jet lighter (again ritualistic).
  • It produces lot of vapour very easily and the extraction of the actives seems to be rather efficient. :D
  • The hits can be pretty smooth but I can see how it is easy to combust if you hit too much (there is 0 draw resistance) which I kinda did on my first try resulting in uneven avb with quite a few black bits. Second try with a fresh load and the same coal was much more even as I was more cautious, maybe too much as I could have hit it more looking at the avb.
  • The coal needs to be re-lit if you take your time too much (I think it's a plus if you like to take a couple of hits and wait a few minutes before the next ones.
I'm very satisfied so far and I know I can improve my technique by quite a bit; I believe it's a vape for when you can take your time and enjoy and I intend to do exactly so!

Here it is, chilling after use (with more light so the black on black stamp shows):

after.jpg

size_comp.jpg

Concluding this with 3 words: Thank you Dan! :nod:

Man, thats a stunning Okin!

ZC

Apologies for the double post -it won't let me edit the previous one.

So I've had a couple of sessions with the Okin and my is it a marvelous piece of art.

Dan puts so much care into these, it's a very strange sensation opening it all up. It looks like something that was made a hundred years ago, yet still brand new. There's nothing else out there like it.

Taste is fantastic - vapor production is fantastic. abv looks even. Effects are out of this world. I'm finding the vapor to be a bit hot for my tastes, but perhaps I just need to work on my technique.

Do you guys grind your material, and do you fill up the entire steel chamber? I'd say I filled it about 1/3 of the way, and then pushed the screen in gently to hold the material in place. It worked pretty well but I don't know if that's the ideal setup.

I'd imagined using the Okin as a more relaxing experience, but it requires one to be extremely attentive. Keeping the charcoal lit requires pretty methodical drawing. Take too big of a break and your flame is out! It's not so demanding as to be stressful but it does require you to maintain focus.

I also pushed a little too hard while drilling one of the charcoals, now if I'm not careful the dril-bit is spinning in the handle. It still works if I'm gentle and careful enough but it catches and spins every once in a while. I noticed in the picture of Dan's DD Okin he has a completely different drill bit handle, I think I'm going to look into finding or making something like that one. It has what looks like a tiny version of a drill chuck.

All in all, I'm blown away by this piece. It is gorgeous and functional like nothing else I own. I truly feel privileged to have it.

Last edited:

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Apologies for the double post -it won't let me edit the previous one.

So I've had a couple of sessions with the Okin and my is it a marvelous piece of art.

Dan puts so much care into these, it's a very strange sensation opening it all up. It looks like something that was made a hundred years ago, yet still brand new. There's nothing else out there like it.

Taste is fantastic - vapor production is fantastic. abv looks even. Effects are out of this world. I'm finding the vapor to be a bit hot for my tastes, but perhaps I just need to work on my technique.

Do you guys grind your material, and do you fill up the entire steel chamber? I'd say I filled it about 1/3 of the way, and then pushed the screen in gently to hold the material in place. It worked pretty well but I don't know if that's the ideal setup.

I'd imagined using the Okin as a more relaxing experience, but it requires one to be extremely attentive. Keeping the charcoal lit requires pretty methodical drawing. Take too big of a break and your flame is out! It's not so demanding as to be stressful but it does require you to maintain focus.

I also pushed a little too hard while drilling one of the charcoals, now if I'm not careful the dril-bit is spinning in the handle. It still works if I'm gentle and careful enough but it catches and spins every once in a while. I noticed in the picture of Dan's DD Okin he has a completely different drill bit handle, I think I'm going to look into finding or making something like that one. It has what looks like a tiny version of a drill chuck.

All in all, I'm blown away by this piece. It is gorgeous and functional like nothing else I own. I truly feel privileged to have it.
Contact Dan and he'll tell you how to fix your drill. Mine was spinning as well and I was able to fix mine with a little bit of super glue. Good luck!

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Yes, @Madcap79 is right. I thought his was a fluke, but this is now the second instance of the drill bit spinning in the handle.

I will be sending out future Okins with brass pin vices (little drill chuck) I think. I will post a link to a good supplier when I find one. This would also allow you to change out the drill bit of you wanted to experiment with different sized holes.

Thanks for your thoughts @ZC !! Just send me an email and I will get your drill fixed up.

NickDlow

Log Hog
Hola FC & @Dan Morrison :

Isn't it today Okin day??
I PM you but I didn't get an answer yet.
Come back to sell me the Okin!!! Jajajaja
Stay vaped my friends...

Yes it is and they're sold out already lol. Gotta get on the email list and auto reply to his messages. I believe that's how ppl are doing it so fast. I recieved the closed email before I saw the open email. These guys are fast so get on your game for September first lol. Good luck

PeteSeattle

Yes it is and they're sold out already lol. Gotta get on the email list and auto reply to his messages. I believe that's how ppl are doing it so fast. I recieved the closed email before I saw the open email. These guys are fast so get on your game for September first lol. Good luck

Sorry, guys. I sneaked in (without auto reply!) and was lucky. I've been spying this thread for a while and would've never guessed this would happen.

It was the Okin, which I've been on the list for sometime, or the vapcap Ti (I may still get it as a back-up).

This will be just in time for camping and not having to hassel with charging batteries will be liberating

Thanks @Dan Morrison

Last edited:
Top Bottom