The Official FC Pets & Animals thread

grokit

well-worn member
34123_409134905771_620970771_4287937_1020605_n.jpg

Lefty, RIP

grokit

well-worn member
Thanks, @YeeeBuddy. Lefty and her sister Pancho were the only two black dogs of a 15-dog mixed-breed litter, and now (I think) Pancho is the last to survive. Technically Lefty was only 25% lab, but her physical traits and attitude were 100% pure (she's my second black lab, I also favor that breed)!

Pancho was the true runt of the litter and unlike Lefty, looks to be part akita:
34123_409134900771_620970771_4287936_7992274_n.jpg

Lefty always looked out for Pancho, she really was a great dog.
Lefty.JPG

She went peacefully, had just turned 14 human years old.

Poncho%2520%2526%2520Lefty.jpg

Inseparable sisters
4473_82505500771_620970771_1679108_3535049_n.jpg

Last edited:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Thanks, @YeeeBuddy. Lefty and her sister Pancho were the only two black dogs of a 15-dog mixed-breed litter, and now (I think) Pancho is the last to survive. Technically Lefty was only 25% lab, but her physical traits and attitude were 100% pure (she's my second black lab, I also favor that breed)!

Pancho was the true runt of the litter and unlike Lefty, looks to be part akita:
34123_409134900771_620970771_4287936_7992274_n.jpg

Lefty always looked out for Pancho, she really was a great dog.
Lefty.JPG

She went peacefully, had just turned 14 human years old.

Poncho%2520%2526%2520Lefty.jpg

Inseparable sisters
4473_82505500771_620970771_1679108_3535049_n.jpg

Pancho needs your prayers, it's true.... but save a few for Lefty, too.

:peace:

arf777

No longer dogless
I need some advice here. I was told Friday that there is a good chance my dog will have to be put down on Monday. He has lost more than 10% of his body weight in 3 weeks, has a hematocrit level that indicates cancer, will barely eat or drink.

I am a handicapped chronic nerve pain patient and live only with my dog and cat. They are, for all practical purposes, my only family. But unlike the last time a dog of mine died, I am working full-time. If I were healthy, I could make it home and back to my office at least once a day for housebreaking a new pup. But as I am it is impossible.

How is a handicapped person who works in an office and lives alone supposed to get a new pup and housebreak him or her? I'm having enough trouble picturing life without my dog Mac; with no dog at all I don't see why I'd bother to grapple with my pain and illness every day. Just not worth it. And I was just on short-term disability, so I can't even take time off to start training a pup for the first week.

Anyone else who has been through this with these kinds of health problems and limitations, please advise if you can.

arf777,

Seren

Away with the fairies
How is a handicapped person who works in an office and lives alone supposed to get a new pup and housebreak him or her?

I'm so very sorry to read about your current situation. Losing a loved one - whatever the species - is always difficult and painful. Sending a virtual hug your way.

A rescue dog is a great idea IMO and offers the opportunity of a win-win situation for both you and the dog. Another possibility that may be open to you is a pet therapy/assistance dog - it may be worth looking into if you feel you could qualify for one.

ottawa-therapy-dog.jpg

Last edited:

arf777

No longer dogless
My only concern with adopting an adult dog is my cat, who is almost 20 years old. He has always lived with dogs, but he knew them since they were puppies. I've actually been warned by a shelter employee about that being risky once - either because the adult rescue dog can hurt the cat or vice versa. I don't know if that is accurate or just a myth. I've had a cat who killed a dog once (adopted NYC alley cat vs a feral Doberman) but have never actually encountered a cat who had been really hurt by a dog. But it would kill me with guilt if I brought in a new animal that hurt my cat.

It hadn't even occurred to me to think about a service animal. But there is a program here, and many of the people who have them have the same health issues I do. I am seriously thinking about this. Thank you for the recommendation.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
arf777 very sorry your going through this. I lost my best pal a few years ago, an ornery little Chihuahua that wandered into my yard at about 5 weeks old. I was dreadfully ill and alone at the time and that little guy gave me a reason to get up everyday so I know how you feel. After having him around for 14 years it was very very hard for me without him.

I'm now watching after a nephews Chinook. I'm much healthier mentally and physically with a puppy around.
I also think a rescue dog does seem like a great way to go if you can. Lots of great pups need homes.

Peace you'll be in my thoughts.

Top Bottom