The Official FC Pets & Animals thread

Nooky72

Dog Marley
7Hz0aw.jpg

7HzBhF.jpg

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
A few weeks ago I caught this hawk intently watching our bird feeder, from a tall tree. I believe a Cooper’s hawk?

View attachment 6270
Probably...? Apparently, if you checkout the article I linked, the only way to really tell is adult Cooper's are a good bit bigger... maybe look at the shins, too...? Also waaaay cool, tho! Love birds of prey!

I watched an American Kestrel totally steer a sparrow into my big bay window where it pounced on it and immediately began ripping it apart early one spring... it was awesome! Got pics of it all too, but they are tiny and hard to see any real detail.

This is what they look like (not my pic):
1614904854838.jpeg

Last edited:

Exsmoker

Plant Manager
Love birds of prey!
I do too. We had a bald eagle here recently checking out the koi pond, but I couldn’t get a good photo.

A few years ago we discovered an injured owl, unable to fly, on the ground behind our house. The closer I got the more he/she puffed up and squawked at me.

850CC471-7967-45F7-9E3F-F6A56AE7C967.jpeg

I called a rescue group, but before they arrived, the angry looking owl made it up to a low hanging branch, and disappeared shortly thereafter. Happy ending!

53E9E56F-FB3E-4153-BE3A-CEFB8D09B588.jpeg

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I do too. We had a bald eagle here recently checking out the koi pond, but I couldn’t get a good photo.

A few years ago we discovered an injured owl, unable to fly, on the ground behind our house. The closer I got the more he/she puffed up and squawked at me.

View attachment 6293

I called a rescue group, but before they arrived, the angry looking owl made it up to a low hanging branch, and disappeared shortly thereafter. Happy ending!

View attachment 6295
Dynamite pics/story! Thanks for sharing! I have a particular fondness for owls, as I've spotted a Great Horned one in the yard of almost every place I have lived (even in Medford!)

Bald eagles are rare where I am in MA, but not unheard of, Golden's are much rarer still, and I've only ever seen carrion (deer fell) on the ice (Quabbin Reservoir) that had been supposedly picked on by both golden and balds that had been spotted there just days prior... but plenty up north in VT, NH and ME (NY & Canadialand, as well)....!

What really do a number on koi ponds here are the herons (7 kinds!?). Great blue and green are very common and will devour an entire pond in one sitting (standing)!

But I digress... back to the matter at hand:

759c679c8608201a09617d6b700464850c213384.jpg

Nooky72

Dog Marley

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I did get some phone video the summer of 2017 of a Bald eagle when I took my sister's crazy small kayak (designed for lil kids on flat freshwater!) like a mile out the back door of her house to checkout the lighthouse on Mark Island one morning before everyone was up... but I kept right on going past Mark I to Scragg Island where I caught this:

Please excuse the rocking as I was sitting in the kayak atm using my dugout (like 2 months til the full-time switch to vaping) after having a snack... my stupid voice, as well.... in fact, don't even play the audio... PLEASE!
A few quick pics of my time actually ON Skragg (found out later I shouldn't have been):

Skragg1.jpgSkragg2.jpgSkragg.jpgSkullOnSkragg.jpg

Then I stopped on Mark I on the way back to collect beach rose blossoms for a delicious (and fragrant!) homemade syrup:

Mark5.jpgMark4.jpgMark3.jpgMark2.jpgMark.jpg
(note: that's the horn you hear sounding in the vid in the first pic if you ignored my advice)

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Nevermind being super nice, friendly, helpful and generous (and knowing who to root for!), Canadians are also CRAZY af (😜):
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Love some of the comments:
"Everyone in quarantine bored af and this man is slowly building the biggest racoon army ever" :lmao:

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.” ❤️

Last edited:
Top Bottom