• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Nomad From Morwood

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
loop glitter GIF

Keep em coming you lucky Nomad owners out there 😎

sledge

So how do you guys know which batch and number you are? I signed up for the wait list back in March. I guess Dan has already reached out and notified you of your spot? Any idea how far in advance he does this?

Thanks.

seriousTone

So how do you guys know which batch and number you are? I signed up for the wait list back in March. I guess Dan has already reached out and notified you of your spot? Any idea how far in advance he does this?

Thanks.
He contacts those still not officially on a batch list when there are spots open in the batch he is up to at the time.

So otherwise you're still in limbo 😬

Last edited:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@SquirrelMaster , Love hearing your thoughts on the two heaters, since there are only a few people out there right now with both the low and the new high...in addition to your experience with a wide collection of other devices. Very interesting to me! So thanks for that!

With the low heater, I think that a medium or fine grind is best, and I'm usually at around 6-9 second pre-heat depending on batt. voltage. The pre-heat makes a huge difference in getting the vapor to flow quickly in my experience.

The high I still think works best with very coarse to medium grinds, very fluffy pack with air pockets throughout. Since the inhale speed is faster, this grind seems to really help evenly spread that air and keep it from hot spotting.

You can totally toggle the button on and off with the high to make it perform like a low heater with a boost... and then you'll be fine with those finer grinds.... but I just prefer to not toggle the button... seems to be a little more of a smooth consistent heat ramp up when I can just hold the button in.

About the WPA's. I've been wanting to come out with one for a long time. It's just a matter of find the time to put into it, definitely feeling the pressure to get it done! In the past, Eds TnT has made wood WPA's on request. I'd like to offer an all glass option, or at the very least a little taper adapter to adapt the stock glass. hmmm.

@namasteIII , Cool to hear about that! I do think that being able to see the vapor flow helps with the learning curve. It's crazy that I feel like I keep learning and improving my unregulated techniques...even after years of using Nomads. Though.. all my recent improvements have come from changing the way I grind and load the chamber. So much to explore!

namasteIII

Yes my recent discovery was that you can actually rip on the low heater once its up to temp, like the last half of a hit. It’s easy enough to know what’s happening based on feel, but seeing it means pure direct information about the variables you changed.

*Edit

For WPA I use a rubber band wrapped a few times around the tip of the standard glass stem, into a 14mm female.

I bought extra glass stems with the plan to get one of them turned into a WPA, now that I've tried water, I think it's time to finally do that. Hoping I can find a local glassblower to just shape or fuse the end of it to a 14 or 18mm male.

Last edited:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@namasteIII, Oh for sure! I find it hard to summarize the heaters and what can be done with them... because at the end of the day they are both quite versatile and it really comes down to technique.

One of my favorite techniques with the low heater is to purposefully make the first hit light. Less pre-heat, long slow draw, but get off the button earlier than usual. I aim to just start getting the vapor flowing. This heat soaks the chamber and glass. Then my second hit is a full on 20 second ripper.

As a side note, if anyone is interested in spliff style vaporizing with a tobacco/flower mix, try chopping your tobacco as fine as you can get it... and then mixing this with coarsely ground flower. This mix seems to work well because it helps the tobacco to extract at a lower temperature, keeping your flower in the optimal range.

Razhumikin

@namasteIII, Oh for sure! I find it hard to summarize the heaters and what can be done with them... because at the end of the day they are both quite versatile and it really comes down to technique.

One of my favorite techniques with the low heater is to purposefully make the first hit light. Less pre-heat, long slow draw, but get off the button earlier than usual. I aim to just start getting the vapor flowing. This heat soaks the chamber and glass. Then my second hit is a full on 20 second ripper.

As a side note, if anyone is interested in spliff style vaporizing with a tobacco/flower mix, try chopping your tobacco as fine as you can get it... and then mixing this with coarsely ground flower. This mix seems to work well because it helps the tobacco to extract at a lower temperature, keeping your flower in the optimal range.
do you notice a residual tobacco aroma when you do that? I smoked spliffs for years and still have a bag of my favorite tobacco i'd like to use, but have purely fucked combustion. My partner hates tobacco though, so I wouldnt want to have any after taste for her as we share all my vapes.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Razhumikin, Yes, but only in the glass stem itself, which can be cleaned. With convection I don't find residual smells stick around on the device for too long.

For vapes that have wood/porous chambers or stems, the tobacco smell may take some time for it to go away. And for conduction/hybrid, the smells may stick around in ways.. but I really don't have too much experience with tobacco and hybrid/conduction.

Also depends on the tobacco itself, which is often flavored in all sorts of ways.

namasteIII

I've done exactly that as well! Pretty sure I vaped the whole bowl on the second hit one time.

And that spliff technique sounds nice, one of my other extra glass stems was for a spliff stem, haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

I've got to pick up a new high heater some time to play around with. I'm so in tune with my low, I can get it to do anything.

seriousTone

Damn I'm so excited for this muthafucka

I can't get *portable log vape* out of my head. And I'm so adding the high heater to my order eventually before it ships.

Mastering each one is sick and the way you detach, slide out/in and reattach sounds super satisfying.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I've been pretty much been only using the high heater since I got the new one...but I should really give the low heater another shot.

I just don't like drawing that slow if I don't have to.

mourningbell

Certified human
Yeah, for me the low heater doesn't get much use--I have a difficult time drawing slowly enough to get vapor. It's not like it's not possible, it's just less natural for me than the high heater.

My Nomad stem fits and seals pretty damn well into my 14mm bong. I don't think I really need a WPA, although I'm sure it would make the seal a bit better. I don't think it'd really be feasible to use a WPA with the low heater though--it's so much easier to draw quickly though a bong, and I already have to significantly slow down my draw speed while using the high heater through my WPA in order to get vapor

Also, I saw some photos of the unevenness of a Milaana bowl (not sure which version, 2 or 3 I think), and I must say (if that's anything to go by, pls correct me if I'm wrong) that Dan did a better job with heater design. My AVB is pretty even with the high heater, I don't even stir although I do rotate the stem throughout the session in order to prevent hot spots.

Vaporware

@mourningbell Have you tried putting your finger on the air intake hole while using it with your bong? Not enough to seal it off, but enough to reduce the airflow?

I think if you restrict the air coming in you should get more vapor at the same draw speed. If it works for you, you can continue controlling it with your finger or make a little cover or plug for it with a smaller hole and try to dial in the amount of airflow you want. :)

If you try it, please let us know how it goes!

Herbalist23

I'm using the silicone mouthpiece thingy from my retired grasshopper. This way you can just put it on the glass or wood stem (I got one regular and one wpa stem from ed's tnt) and rip away on a 14mm glass piece! I don't even use my ed's wpa cause it works so well! And another vape accessories crossover for your Nomad if you want to use capsules, try out the Fury steel capsules! The mesh style capsules will fit loose, but the cup style fit really good.

Just forgot to mention the silicone mouthpiece also work great for the Vapman😉

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@mourningbell , If you're ever curious to test whether or not your heater is running cool because of dirty electrical contacts.... In a dark room, look down the stem hole at the heater, press the button and count how many seconds it takes for you to juuust barely see the heater start to glow a dim red. With the low, should be 10-15 seconds, depending on battery voltage.

It's so interesting to hear about the heater comparisons. The high continues to be my recommendation for the most versatile... but the low definitely still has its place as a slower extractor... which I think provides a unique experience among unregulated devices.

@Herbalist23 Great to know about the fury capsules and wpa adapter!

Top Bottom