• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Nomad From Morwood

namasteIII

I'm on that last of Nomad 1 train with Y'all too. Best strategy is to forget about it and enjoy other vapes. Each email makes that harder, but I never want to rush Dan so waiting is fine. My sleeve is done just needs finish, and then it's only the wooden stem, so I think it will be pretty soon for me. Excited to get back into the instant on convection game, I sold my version of that to fund the Nomad.

J.R. Bob Dobbs

So I combusted using the high heat heater in my Nomad I. What can I use to clean the heater and the stem chamber to help get rid of the smell?

It was my fault for pushing it to the edge. Sometimes it's hard to get the pre-heat timing right. There is a pretty small window to dial in the perfect hit. That's my only criticism of this wonderful vaporizer.

J.R. Bob Dobbs,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
So I combusted using the high heat heater in my Nomad I. What can I use to clean the heater and the stem chamber to help get rid of the smell?

It was my fault for pushing it to the edge. Sometimes it's hard to get the pre-heat timing right. There is a pretty small window to dial in the perfect hit. That's my only criticism of this wonderful vaporizer.
I've found (on the few occasions that I've combusted in my Nomad) that it's only really the stem and screens that need cleaning as little odour clings to the rest of the vape.
Just clean the stem and screens with isopropyl alcohol, or acetone, and wipe the wood spacer with an acetone dipped cotton Bud (I don't have acetone, but got away with using iso).
Just leaving the Nomad unused overnight is enough to get rid of slight lingering smells, for me at least.
Good luck!

J.R. Bob Dobbs

I appreciate the response, but I must have really combusted bad this time. It's been sitting for a couple of days and it still reeks of smoke. The stem and screens were no problem to clean but the heater itself really stinks. I'm wondering if I can submerge it in iso or acetone or something to help with the smell. My other strategy will be to just run a ton of herb through it and try to minimize the smell that way! The walls of the stem chamber stink, too. I tried running a wet paper towel through it and that helped a little, but I would love to use something else to get rid of the smell more.

What good is a post in this thread without a picture, right? I present Nomad #65:

Nomad-065.jpg

Copacetic

I appreciate the response, but I must have really combusted bad this time. It's been sitting for a couple of days and it still reeks of smoke. The stem and screens were no problem to clean but the heater itself really stinks. I'm wondering if I can submerge it in iso or acetone or something to help with the smell. My other strategy will be to just run a ton of herb through it and try to minimize the smell that way! The walls of the stem chamber stink, too. I tried running a wet paper towel through it and that helped a little, but I would love to use something else to get rid of the smell more.
In that case, I think large cotton Buds with acetone and patience for the vape body, and a removal/soak for your heater. As long as you dont have the wood disc variant of the heater, but I think very few do.

I can't see iso hurting the metal heater, best check with Dan to be certain though.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@J.R. Bob Dobbs - Soak the entire heater in acetone or iso. Clean the wood chamber ring with acetone or iso on a q-tip. You can soak the wood chamber ring in acetone for a few minutes if needed.

If that still doesn't do it, use a q-tip with acetone to wipe down any INTERIOR wood surfaces.

For wood, acetone is best because it contains less water, faster to dry, and more effective cleaner. But 90% and up ISO will work as well.

You may want to also wipe down the bronze bottom plate with acetone/iso. A combustion event could cause a little backflow of smoke down into the heater...and then itll settle down there where it just gets all nasty, haha.

With that high heater the line is very thin!

namasteIII

I've been feeling guilty for not posting here. Got my Nomad A week ago. Probably the longest I've waited for any item purchased, it's been close to 2 years since I sent the payment. That's not really important, as long as you've got other vapes you like during the wait, and once you get it, you've got it.

Build quality is just like you would expect if you have been following this thread, it all feels so great and looks so beautiful, I definitely stare at it a bunch during my sessions. All the little meticulous things Dan put time and effort into really show. The tolerances are perfect, the wood is so smooth and soft, it feels lovingly handmade and extremely well made. I definitely baby it and probably will for a long while but honestly it seems very robust and sturdy, I think you could treat it pretty poorly and it will hold up just fine, there is really not much to go wrong, and nothing you can't fix yourself.

As far as the vapor side I can't comment to extensively because I am still learning it. I thought I was pretty experienced with vapes and even on demand convection vapes so I expected to be a master in a just a few sessions. I've only been using the low heater because I want to get a good feel for that before trying the high heater. I can not seem to find the perfect draw speed and as such some of my hits are inconsistent. Sometimes I feel little heat and get little vapor, sometimes I feel lots of heat and get little vapor, sometimes I feel medium heat and get a great hit, sometimes I feel a lot of heat and get a great hit.

There are only a few factors to play with but getting them all to line up is key. Basically you have battery level and draw speed. Or really it's heat and draw speed. Compensating for battery drain is another area I struggle with, this is my first unregulated device aside for borrowing a Milaana for a week, so this struggle is expected honestly.

Really I've just got to use it more and make mental notes of what I am doing and the results I get. It's hard because things don't stay consistent, it's not like preheat 5 seconds medium draw for 10 seconds will work every time. How spent is your material? what is the battery level? These factors change how you have to hit it. So it's less that I need to develop a formula to follow and more I need to develop a strong connection to the device where I can feel what type of draw is needed in regards to all the factors at play. I have gotten amazing top tier hits, and I hope that with more practice I can learn how to get those every time, even with a used battery and a used bowl.

Also as others have mentioned the taste is ridiculous, after my bed time sessions it's like my mouth is coated in the flavors of my material, it's pretty awesome.

Dan has been super helpful in email trying to get me to that point, but honestly this is not a wordy, intellectual type of thing, its something I have to feel and learn myself.

That said, any other nomad owners who have any tips at all to getting consistent good hits please share, I really want your point of view and advice. Also this is the best thread on this website so we should all bring some life to it.

And in that quest, I am of course ready to pay my photo tax.

Sorry for the external link, my photos were to large for FC apparently.

Also pretty cool I think this is one of the first wood stems made from Dan, haven't used it yet but its so pretty with the rest of the nomad.

If you have any questions ask away. And Thanks again Dan!

Copacetic

Just get the high heater in there and regulate in response to how hot the vapour feels, feather the button as appropriate.
I really barely have to think at all to get great hits from my Nomad, so maybe overthinking might be the issue?
I find the low heater fine for low temp flavour sessions, but I do find it takes some coaxing (and a fresh battery) to get big throaty hits from it, so if that's what you crave, then definitely get the high temp heater in there.
I mostly use a medium heater that Dan experimented with, which I find provides both terpy low hits when careful (not very careful mind you), and big cloudy hits if I leave feathering until near the end of the draw (talking 12-18 second draws here BTW, slightly faster than I pull through my Millanas).
With the high heater I find myself starting to feather earlier ('bout half way ish) into a 10-12 second draw.
These aren't instructions BTW, just background to how I find MY Nomad, my only instruction would be to stick the high heater in there and feather early to start with to be safe. Just respond to the feel of the heat in your mouth.
Beautiful unit you have there BTW, another high class creation! That wood (walnut?) is what I want for my Nomad II when I finally get the funds together for it. Gotta get one of those wood stems with the 'capsules' as well.

Mr. Me2

I've been feeling guilty for not posting here. Got my Nomad A week ago. Probably the longest I've waited for any item purchased, it's been close to 2 years since I sent the payment. That's not really important, as long as you've got other vapes you like during the wait, and once you get it, you've got it.

Build quality is just like you would expect if you have been following this thread, it all feels so great and looks so beautiful, I definitely stare at it a bunch during my sessions. All the little meticulous things Dan put time and effort into really show. The tolerances are perfect, the wood is so smooth and soft, it feels lovingly handmade and extremely well made. I definitely baby it and probably will for a long while but honestly it seems very robust and sturdy, I think you could treat it pretty poorly and it will hold up just fine, there is really not much to go wrong, and nothing you can't fix yourself.

As far as the vapor side I can't comment to extensively because I am still learning it. I thought I was pretty experienced with vapes and even on demand convection vapes so I expected to be a master in a just a few sessions. I've only been using the low heater because I want to get a good feel for that before trying the high heater. I can not seem to find the perfect draw speed and as such some of my hits are inconsistent. Sometimes I feel little heat and get little vapor, sometimes I feel lots of heat and get little vapor, sometimes I feel medium heat and get a great hit, sometimes I feel a lot of heat and get a great hit.

There are only a few factors to play with but getting them all to line up is key. Basically you have battery level and draw speed. Or really it's heat and draw speed. Compensating for battery drain is another area I struggle with, this is my first unregulated device aside for borrowing a Milaana for a week, so this struggle is expected honestly.

Really I've just got to use it more and make mental notes of what I am doing and the results I get. It's hard because things don't stay consistent, it's not like preheat 5 seconds medium draw for 10 seconds will work every time. How spent is your material? what is the battery level? These factors change how you have to hit it. So it's less that I need to develop a formula to follow and more I need to develop a strong connection to the device where I can feel what type of draw is needed in regards to all the factors at play. I have gotten amazing top tier hits, and I hope that with more practice I can learn how to get those every time, even with a used battery and a used bowl.

Also as others have mentioned the taste is ridiculous, after my bed time sessions it's like my mouth is coated in the flavors of my material, it's pretty awesome.

Dan has been super helpful in email trying to get me to that point, but honestly this is not a wordy, intellectual type of thing, its something I have to feel and learn myself.

That said, any other nomad owners who have any tips at all to getting consistent good hits please share, I really want your point of view and advice. Also this is the best thread on this website so we should all bring some life to it.

Also pretty cool I think this is one of the first wood stems made from Dan, haven't used it yet but its so pretty with the rest of the nomad.

What a beauty. Enjoy it FOREVER!!!

namasteIII

@Copacetic Do you stir when using the high heater?

And good advice I'm going to try the high heater, and I definitely am overthinking some things.

the wood is crotch figured walnut by the way. Its lovely. I'm pretty glad to have got the nomad 1 I love the squareness of it, and that I can have the beautiful wood or the beautiful sleeve.

Vaporware

What a beauty. Enjoy it FOREVER!!!
I agree; unless he wants to pass it on to me someday. :rofl:

:mmmm:

It’s not really fair to say I have favorites anymore when there are probably dozens I’d buy in a heartbeat if they were up for sale and I had the money, and that’s just the ones I like the most. The others are great too. :)

This type of sleeve is one of the “most Nomad” of the Nomads (going back to the original concept) in my opinion. Mine should be too, and it’s even going to have an element partly inspired by this one. :love:

Do y'all have a preferred battery for your nomad? I'm in batch one of nomad II and would like to get a couple while I wait.

The one Dan recommended most recently was the Molicel P26A. If you search the thread for it he had a bit more to say about it.

There are some other recommendations in the thread too, but those are the ones I bought for it. :)

namasteIII

Yeah I'm using Molicel P26A . I don't know much about batteries but they are good and what Dan recommended. Make sure to get a changer with a display so you can know your voltages.

Also yeah when Dan and I were designing this sleeve a lot of the inspiration came for the first post on this thread. I made up a little story for it that the Nomad belonged to some space explorer / areologist who was trying to uncover some grand narrative. He travelled to many places to get information, and since the Nomad was always in his hands or his tool belt or pocket he took his notes one it, coping ancient texts, writing down connections or sketching artifacts. Also this notion of writing over top of things, covering things with layers and layers. And somewhere on this sleeve is his final answer but we think maybe he died as he was writing the last few words so it trails off, and remains incomplete. And then the nomad sat for many many years on whatever planet was the explorers last stop.

I wanted Dan to make the Nomad of his original dream with the Star Wars, space blaster artifact theme. And honestly he killed it, he took some complex idea like that, and did it better then I could imagine.

I'm really glad with every design choice I made, and glad I waited so long to get it perfect too. Hopefully it can stay with me my whole life too, and imagine if I can still use it 50 years from now.

Copacetic

@Copacetic Do you stir when using the high heater?

And good advice I'm going to try the high heater, and I definitely am overthinking some things.

the wood is crotch figured walnut by the way. Its lovely. I'm pretty glad to have got the nomad 1 I love the squareness of it, and that I can have the beautiful wood or the beautiful sleeve.
I don't really stir with any of the heaters, I don't find there's any need (OK, maybe a very slight need with the high heater) but I do use the stock approach of 2 screens separated by Dans wooden spacer. And although I don't REALLY feel it's required, I do slide the whole assembly from end to end within the stem between hits to ensure totally even roasting.
I often fiddle mid session by removing a screen to see what's going on in there, but I never really find unevenly vaped herb, or find myself thinking "oop, glad I decided to check that time!". It's just habit, curiosity and a love of ritual (for armchair vaping anyway). I did yearn for a quick capsule system for outdoor vaping, but who the hell goes outside anymore? (only partially kidding here).
What really bums me out is that I haven't been able to get herb here in Scotland for months now as supplies dried up almost as soon as Covid struck and I'm too much of a shut-in to deal with trying to find a new plug in our brave new world, so my entire vape collection has been lying dormant while I fall back on prescription meds for ailments, and booze for 'recreation'.
How I envy those in legal locations (or even those here who can grow their own etc).
I'm in my mid fifties now, and I've been fantasising about legality since the early eighties. Getting tired of fantasy now, I wish the ruling classes would loosen their death-grip on society.
Sorry, that took a turn for the melancholic, I've been drinking, and I shouldn't drink, it doesn't agree with me. I think I'll go to bed now.
Pack a bowl for all us poor saps who can't, and make the most of your Nomad, salut! and good night.

SquirrelMaster

Yeah I'm using Molicel P26A . I don't know much about batteries but they are good and what Dan recommended. Make sure to get a changer with a display so you can know your voltages.

Also yeah when Dan and I were designing this sleeve a lot of the inspiration came for the first post on this thread. I made up a little story for it that the Nomad belonged to some space explorer / areologist who was trying to uncover some grand narrative. He travelled to many places to get information, and since the Nomad was always in his hands or his tool belt or pocket he took his notes one it, coping ancient texts, writing down connections or sketching artifacts. Also this notion of writing over top of things, covering things with layers and layers. And somewhere on this sleeve is his final answer but we think maybe he died as he was writing the last few words so it trails off, and remains incomplete. And then the nomad sat for many many years on whatever planet was the explorers last stop.

I wanted Dan to make the Nomad of his original dream with the Star Wars, space blaster artifact theme. And honestly he killed it, he took some complex idea like that, and did it better then I could imagine.

I'm really glad with every design choice I made, and glad I waited so long to get it perfect too. Hopefully it can stay with me my whole life too, and imagine if I can still use it 50 years from now.
The first thing I thought when I originally saw your Nomad was if it was No Man's sky inspired and it's right along the same line. It's a really nice Nomad and it's nice to think that because of the simplicity of the design it will last a very long time.

Top Bottom