The Nomad From Morwood

Here's some new shots of this cocobolo and canarywood Nomad II.

This finish is made by hand sanding up to 1500x, then applying a coat of mineral oil, and then buffing with higher grits beyond 1500x. This is just the natural beauty of the wood showing. Because there is no "finish" to dull or yellow over time, the wood surface can easily be maintained with a light, neutral oil like mineral/lemon. Because of the natural resin/wax content of cocobolo, the wood is well protected straight from the tree.

View attachment 3818View attachment 3819View attachment 3820View attachment 3821View attachment 3822View attachment 3823View attachment 3824View attachment 3825View attachment 3826View attachment 3827
Wow! Absolutely the most gorgeous combination of woods. My thoughts were to go with Cocobolo for the body and African Blackwood collar, bottom and side pull. However, the Cocobolo and Canarywood really calls to me. But, then again, with each and every post of a new Nomad, who’s to say. Another masterpiece form Dan Morrison.

A little update as well, some of you already know this, but I've got a new high heater module that has been going out with all the recent Nomads, and all Nomads in the future. It completely replaces the old high heater.

I've been able to test it for the last couple months, and it's AWESOME.

This heater is an evolution on the experimental "medium" heater that I was working on a while back.

The new high is much more user friendly compared to the older version. You don't have to toggle the fire button on and off to control the heat.

The coil geometry now matched the low heater, meaning.. the heat is better distributed over the entire surface of the heater. This, combined with the new double layer diffuser mesh update that I built into the Nomad II design, combines to give much more even heating, and less of a tendency to central hot-spot when pushing those fast extractions.

Pre-heat time is 3 seconds, plenty of vapor production on the first hit from cold. You can push it to fully extract a chamber full in 2-3 hits, with no need to stir, and achieving a slightly fuller extraction up into those higher roasty temp zones when compared to the low.

I would say that the low heater is still the king of flavor chasing, but the new high is pretty darn close, while maybe being a slightly better all-rounder.

The low is gives you slower extraction, with more fine control. The high gives you faster extraction, but tuned just right so that you can easily avoid over-heating.

I also think that because the high heater requires a faster draw speed, it'll be more comfortable for people who have a hard time regulating their inhale speed. This high works at a more natural feeling fast inhale.

Oh, and pair the high heater with cooling beads and you can REALLY rip. Like, one hit from cold full extraction, rip.

More closeups!

View attachment 6043View attachment 6044View attachment 6045View attachment 6046View attachment 6047View attachment 6048View attachment 6049View attachment 6050View attachment 6051View attachment 6052
And the hits just keep getting better and better, I’m glad I am probably something like 300+ on the waitlist. Not only does it give me time to figure out exactly what I want but, who the heck knows what new innovations Dan the Man will come up with.

I’m probably looking at all cruse control by the time my number is up. I’m very excited about the new heater, it sounds like the sweet spot for those of that have no experience with on demand and a plus for those that do. Stay woke and healthy my man, there are quite a number of us that depend on you fondly.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Wont find cruise control here, analog manual transmission.

You're damn right!!!

94055edb-4847-491f-99eb-4ea36bfd6ccb_text.gif

Wont find cruise control here, analog manual transmission.
The way Dan Morrison has been going, who knows what the future of the the Nomad holds? With talks about chips and all who know what the Nomad of today will be like in a year or more? On another note, I have a 1995 Acura Íntegra GS-R five speed manual transmission with cruse control, which was unheard of back in the day. As a once famous man said in a movie, “do not look at the finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory” 😜

Edit; in my defense, I was referring to the new heater that Dan Morrison

“ Nomads, and all Nomads in the future. It completely replaces the old high heater.

I've been able to test it for the last couple months, and it's AWESOME.

This heater is an evolution on the experimental "medium" heater that I was working on a while back.

The new high is much more user friendly compared to the older version.

(You don't have to toggle the fire button on and off to control the heat.)

This to me is cruse control, if I understand this correctly, I don’t have to manually toggle the button to regulate the the heater. This takes some of the learning curve out of it, for those of us that are not familiar with on demand vapes.

Last edited:

namasteIII

Interesting discovery. I often travel between states and even a a difference of less then 100 mile drive is enough to effect the Nomad wood and sleeve fit. At home I've got it to a perfect fit, but a state away, and the sleeve is very tight, fits, but forcefully. I am by the coast, I wonder if that effects the humidity. I bet the wood type plays a role too, maybe some are more stable than others?

Been a nice opportunity to use it sleeveless, honestly I'd rather it fit but don't really see it in my current power to control physics and nature.

Any wood or smart people wana teach me things or explain the why and how of wood changing with environmental or geographical factors, I'm pretty curious.

kadjo

Interesting discovery. I often travel between states and even a a difference of less then 100 mile drive is enough to effect the Nomad wood and sleeve fit. At home I've got it to a perfect fit, but a state away, and the sleeve is very tight, fits, but forcefully. I am by the coast, I wonder if that effects the humidity. I bet the wood type plays a role too, maybe some are more stable than others?

Been a nice opportunity to use it sleeveless, honestly I'd rather it fit but don't really see it in my current power to control physics and nature.

Any wood or smart people wana teach me things or explain the why and how of wood changing with environmental or geographical factors, I'm pretty curious.
I'm having the same issue in the NE. Nomad sleeves fit great when I got mine in the spring. Now they don't go on and every time I use any force with them I get super nervous im gonna snap something.

The humid summer air makes all the wood expand. Our floors change shape over the seasons too. All the boards are swollen now and you can feel the ridges where they meet forming mini mountain ridges like 2 tectonic plates colliding. Then in the fall winter back to normal.

Not an expert in the biomechanics of it, but I can affirm that the humidity is the culprit.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

(I have been rocking the sleeve half on "tall boy" with the Nomads this summer)

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I've been trying to understand the wood and sleeve movement/non-movement for a while now. From my observations, and counter to what I had originally thought, I believe that A. Blackwood moves the most.

I think that the less dense woods move less. I'm not seeing any significant change in my sleeve fit on a walnut body, and we have very dry winters and very humid summers.

I do think that the fit 'settles down' after a while, and the wood should do this as well. The older a piece of wood gets, the less it moves.

Wood movement is interesting.... and somewhat mysterious. I'm always observing how each species moves and how to overcome the dimensional changes. With the Nomad II, thankfully the design allows movement without any functional changes. I've also been using a lot of stabilized woods (which don't move at all), and in the case of the briar wood bowl chambers, I've been roasting the woods to make them more resistant to changing size.....since they need to have a friction fit inside the glass stem.

I have some methods for adjusting the fit of the sleeve to be either more tight or more loose... so if anyone needs some tips about that, just let me know!

NOLOGO

Can also confirm humidity + heat as culprit. In the winter my sleeve slides right off, in summertime it takes a little maneuvering.
I like the tallboy idea @kadjo - May as well flaunt the wood!

Nice setup there! Do you happen to have a link for that tool? I've needed something similar (with that shape of a scoop) for a while now and keep putting off ordering one. (I think maybe a FC member was 3D printing them at one point?)

NOLOGO,
Reactions: jds

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Nice setup there! Do you happen to have a link for that tool? I've needed something similar (with that shape of a scoop) for a while now and keep putting off ordering one. (I think maybe a FC member was 3D printing them at one point?)
Sure, it’s my favorite tool I’ve ever bought for vaping - it is kind of expensive for what it is ($16) but personally think it is worth it!
https://www.cannabishardware.com/products/pax-loading-tool
or

seriousTone

Sure, it’s my favorite tool I’ve ever bought for vaping - it is kind of expensive for what it is ($16) but personally think it is worth it!
or
That Pax loading tool is pretty slick.

The ones you're talking about @NOLOGO are these:

https://delta3dstudios.com/plugin-vaporizer-accessories/e-nano-vaporizer/

He has scoop and tamp, scoop and poke and my favorite - scoop and stir tools. It's almost double the price but I've had mine for years and always find it useful no matter what. This reminds me I want to get the 4 way tool actually.

namasteIII

Glad I'm not the only one.
I have some methods for adjusting the fit of the sleeve to be either more tight or more loose... so if anyone needs some tips about that, just let me know!

I installed the washi tape a while ago. Don't want to remove it because it sill provides the perfect fit at home. I doubt you have any solutions that adjust with the seasons, but if you do, please share. I don't really want to do a method to make my sleeve permanently bigger because that will have problems when I'm home, or based on what others said the winter.

Maybe I need a summer sleeve.

NOLOGO

or
Thanks @Jill NYC ! Ordered!

@xtraclipsforxtrashit YES! That's the one I was thinking of. I just compared all of those with the pax loader that Jill posted the link for and went for the pax loader. One of the reviews said that shape is perfect for loading grasshopper also, so I'll get mileage out of it there too... And I deal with a lot of test tubes for storage of ground materials, so it'll be nice having that unique cylindrical shape for those too.

Thanks y'all!

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Thanks @Jill NYC ! Ordered!

@xtraclipsforxtrashit YES! That's the one I was thinking of. I just compared all of those with the pax loader that Jill posted the link for and went for the pax loader. One of the reviews said that shape is perfect for loading grasshopper also, so I'll get mileage out of it there too... And I deal with a lot of test tubes for storage of ground materials, so it'll be nice having that unique cylindrical shape for those too.

Thanks y'all!

I have one, and it's my favorite loading tool. It's the perfect dosing size for me.
Though, it gets no use with my Nomad, because I vacuum fill my Nomad stems.

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
A little about battery life. I find that once a battery drops to about 3.75 volts or lower that it really takes longer to heat and it doesn't get as hot. I wonder if with these cells that as the volts drop so do the amps. Anyway - from full around 4.17 volts down to the 3.75 range - I have found the high heater to be very consistent.

David

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@madhockeydad ,

Because the Nomad has no electronics to control the voltage output to the heater, the wattage at the heater drops as the battery volts drops.

You'll find that as the battery gets closer to 3.6v (where I usually like to charge), you'll need to add a few more seconds onto the pre-heat time, and also lower your inhale speed slightly.

As you mentioned, I do find that for the most part it feels fairly consistent until you hit about 3.7...and then after that performance drops off. Under 3.5v and you'll really notice a huge difference.

In some ways this is a safety feature, I believe that it should be easy to feel when you need to recharge your battery.

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
@madhockeydad ,

Because the Nomad has no electronics to control the voltage output to the heater, the wattage at the heater drops as the battery volts drops.

You'll find that as the battery gets closer to 3.6v (where I usually like to charge), you'll need to add a few more seconds onto the pre-heat time, and also lower your inhale speed slightly.

As you mentioned, I do find that for the most part it feels fairly consistent until you hit about 3.7...and then after that performance drops off. Under 3.5v and you'll really notice a huge difference.

In some ways this is a safety feature, I believe that it should be easy to feel when you need to recharge your battery.

I'm starting to get a feel for it. The last two or three batteries I've checked as soon as they came out of the vape. They were all around 3.7 plus or minus 0.1. I'm finding it easy to tell when a battery is losing juice. Again, due to my liking things a bit faster, I just switch out the battery at that point. I have used a batter after 3.7 and it'll work just fine down to below 3.5 it's just that as it drops off the curve, it just takes longer and longer. I just lose patience.

Definitely don't need any electronics to get a feel for the battery. I like the device just as is - don't add a single circuit to this baby. Leave that for other devices. This is such a pure and great smoking device!! Highly recommended. FYI - I'm going to get on the list soon again. I figure by the time my name comes up again - there will be some whole new Nomad/Okin thingy that I'll be the lucky first in line to get!!!! Now that's thinking ahead.

David

Last edited:
Top Bottom