P1080842.jpg

P1080843.jpg

P1080844.jpg

P1080845.jpg

P1080846.jpg

P1080847.jpg

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
And here's some fun family photos of a custom stemmed package made in collaboration with Ed and Dave. I sent out Cherry wood from the same block that was used to make the stem collar, so all pieces match.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I've been testing out a nipple stem from Dave, the cooling is super effective. I think it looks awesome as well.

hoyo77

And here's some fun family photos of a custom stemmed package made in collaboration with Ed and Dave. I sent out Cherry wood from the same block that was used to make the stem collar, so all pieces match.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I've been testing out a nipple stem from Dave, the cooling is super effective. I think it looks awesome as well.
@Ed's TnT hey man i need a custom stem for my nomad!!! How have you been dude??? Stay safe!!

Xclerk

The Universe is our endless supply
Sure your still not missing a couple? I didnt see mine lol. Saw one that was close. Not rushing or anything. I love seeing the progress in general. These last few are gorgeous. The paper looks better on them then flat. And totally will need one of those Eds stems. Is that 14mm as well? I got my cooling one waiting for a friend.

GetLeft

Question about the nippled stem; it’s hard to tell by the photo whether that cavity between the nippled ends opens up wider or is a narrow straw-like pathway to the opposite nippled end. And where would one pick one up?

GetLeft,
Reactions: Poostuff

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
@Ed's TnT hey man i need a custom stem for my nomad!!! How have you been dude??? Stay safe!!

My man, been a while bro. You know all you gotta do is get at me bro, you know I got you. I am well and am doing my best to stay safe and healthy, I hope you are as well my man.

@Dan Morrison Brother it was a pleasure working with our guy to put that together and be part of such a beautiful unit. I appreciate you, your cooperation, and friendship always. Not to mention I cant wait to see my Nomad II bro, its going to be so freaking beautiful.

Vaporware

Great stuff! Anyone with custom Nomad stems (user or creator) want to give us a little more info on yours? Maybe a sales pitch?

My Nomad isn’t too far off now, so I’m very interested to hear more about stem options and about how people are doing with the stock stems (or modified stock stems with glass balls, etc.). :popcorn:

I’ve also had plans all along for a different kind of custom stem, so hearing what’s working best should help us get that right too. :sherlock:

Edit: Fixed a couple of small errors.

Last edited:

hoyo77

My man, been a while bro. You know all you gotta do is get at me bro, you know I got you. I am well and am doing my best to stay safe and healthy, I hope you are as well my man.

@Dan Morrison Brother it was a pleasure working with our guy to put that together and be part of such a beautiful unit. I appreciate you, your cooperation, and friendship always. Not to mention I cant wait to see my Nomad II bro, its going to be so freaking beautiful.
My bro from my home state.....yes it has been a while. I saw some fish you had caught a while back i started to drive my ass down there to get a plate. In the process of moving to Denver so when i get my new address i will definitely get at you. I think my unit is made from african blackwood. i hope you have some of that in stock.

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
My bro from my home state.....yes it has been a while. I saw some fish you had caught a while back i started to drive my ass down there to get a plate. In the process of moving to Denver so when i get my new address i will definitely get at you. I think my unit is made from african blackwood. i hope you have some of that in stock.

You know you ever get back this way you're always welcome.

Absolutely got plenty of blackwood that's a staple specie always available here bro.

Hope you are well safe and healthy, stay strong.

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
Great stuff! Anyone with custom Nomad stems (user or creator) want to give us a little more info on yours? Maybe a sales pitch?

My Nomad isn’t too far off now, so I’m very interested to hear more about stem options and about how people are doing with the stock stems (or modified stock stems with glass balls, etc.). :popcorn:

I’ve also had plans all along for a different kind of custom stem, so hearing what’s working best should help us get that right too. :sherlock:

Edit: Fixed a couple of small errors.

@Ed's TnT makes awesome stems.
Here my blackwood nomad stem.
No sales pitch needed on a wood stem, once you drop your first glass Nomad stem, you'll be shopping. ;)

20190311-080706.jpg

20190311-080737.jpg

Vaporware

@Ed's TnT makes awesome stems.
Here my blackwood nomad stem.
No sales pitch needed on a wood stem, once you drop your first glass Nomad stem, you'll be shopping. ;)

20190311-080706.jpg

20190311-080737.jpg

Looks great! Is it any more or less cool than the glass, or does it impart noticeable flavors or have other advantages/disadvantages?

No reason to be concerned about Blackwood or anything else you’re using for stems when they’re right next to the heater, @Ed's TnT? I’m assuming not since you’re using them, but I’d heard that some species could release unpleasant stuff when heated...are they treated somehow to prevent, or is this just not a concern?

If it’s all good I should probably get a stem or two as soon as I know if Blackwood or something else will match my sleeve best! :)

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@VaporWare ,

I only have experience with my roasted bamboo stem so my results will be totally different than other wood stems... but, I'll list the differences here anyhow.

Roasting removes some of the lower boiling point volatiles in the bamboo, and so the stem will impart less woody flavor.

There is a slight flavor to the roasted bamboo that's like caramel, so it's not bad... but it's not totally neutral like glass.

This initial flavor subsides over the first handful of sessions, then seems to be a very slight background taste.

Since wood is porous, it'll pick up flavors from your herbs of choice, these will season the stem overtime...and for some that's enjoyable.. or not.

The roasted bamboo is less porous than many woods, in my experience. The walls are smooth and since the bamboo has perfectly straight 'grain' the inner walls are made up of closed-off microtubes...with the open pores being at the very tip of each end. With wood, you get open pores all over the place.

I notice that the roasting process caramelizes some of the natural sugars, and so the wood is hardened and seems to be more moisture resistant. Water tends to bead on the surface of bamboo.

I use acetone on a q-tip to clean the inside my bamboo stem, this will keep it more neutral tasting.

The walls are super thin, thinner than my glass stems. So the chamber can be wider, which naturally results in bigger vapor production.

Because bamboo/wood is an excellent insulator, the heat up time is fantastic. Quicker to reach vaporizing temp than glass.

The bamboo stem has a wide open airway the entire length, so you can stuff it with glass beads if you need additional cooling. I don't find the stock bamboo too hot, however.

I'd say that the wood provides the greatest efficiency and 'feel' between you and the heater. Meaning.. there is nothing getting between you and the heater, so you're able to feel exactlt what its doing. This, imo, makes it easier to control and results in very consistent performance.

Glass:

Daves nipple cooling stem is very different, night and day, compared to the wood, or stock glass. The vapor feels like cool air, like nothing is going in.... but then you're surprised on the exhale!

The upside is that for users who want to feel no throat feel, this is the way to go. The downside is that you're far removed from feeling what that hwater is doing. Without practice, you're in the dark... there is pretty much nothing to tell you when you've reached temp...or exceeded it!

I think that the stock glass or wood stem is a great all rounder, and should definitely be the training wheels. Then move into the cooling stems after getting the hang of things.

With the low heater, there is no toggling on and off of the fire button..so this would be the heater I'd choose for cooling stem use... as it's easier to control while flying blind, so to speak.

Vaporware

@VaporWare ,

I only have experience with my roasted bamboo stem so my results will be totally different than other wood stems... but, I'll list the differences here anyhow.

Roasting removes some of the lower boiling point volatiles in the bamboo, and so the stem will impart less woody flavor.

There is a slight flavor to the roasted bamboo that's like caramel, so it's not bad... but it's not totally neutral like glass.

This initial flavor subsides over the first handful of sessions, then seems to be a very slight background taste.

Since wood is porous, it'll pick up flavors from your herbs of choice, these will season the stem overtime...and for some that's enjoyable.. or not.

The roasted bamboo is less porous than many woods, in my experience. The walls are smooth and since the bamboo has perfectly straight 'grain' the inner walls are made up of closed-off microtubes...with the open pores being at the very tip of each end. With wood, you get open pores all over the place.

I notice that the roasting process caramelizes some of the natural sugars, and so the wood is hardened and seems to be more moisture resistant. Water tends to bead on the surface of bamboo.

I use acetone on a q-tip to clean the inside my bamboo stem, this will keep it more neutral tasting.

The walls are super thin, thinner than my glass stems. So the chamber can be wider, which naturally results in bigger vapor production.

Because bamboo/wood is an excellent insulator, the heat up time is fantastic. Quicker to reach vaporizing temp than glass.

The bamboo stem has a wide open airway the entire length, so you can stuff it with glass beads if you need additional cooling. I don't find the stock bamboo too hot, however.

I'd say that the wood provides the greatest efficiency and 'feel' between you and the heater. Meaning.. there is nothing getting between you and the heater, so you're able to feel exactlt what its doing. This, imo, makes it easier to control and results in very consistent performance.

Glass:

Daves nipple cooling stem is very different, night and day, compared to the wood, or stock glass. The vapor feels like cool air, like nothing is going in.... but then you're surprised on the exhale!

The upside is that for users who want to feel no throat feel, this is the way to go. The downside is that you're far removed from feeling what that hwater is doing. Without practice, you're in the dark... there is pretty much nothing to tell you when you've reached temp...or exceeded it!

I think that the stock glass or wood stem is a great all rounder, and should definitely be the training wheels. Then move into the cooling stems after getting the hang of things.

With the low heater, there is no toggling on and off of the fire button..so this would be the heater I'd choose for cooling stem use... as it's easier to control while flying blind, so to speak.

Wow...thanks for explaining so much! I shouldn’t be taking your time with this today if all days though! :rofl:

Still, this is good info for everyone and should probably go into a manual or a list of tips on different aspects of the Nomad if it’s not already there. :)

I mentioned it when you first posted about them, but I’m still interested in a bamboo stem from you if you get to make more of them, so please let me/us know if that becomes an option!

Maybe a nice WPA stem from Ed in that case... :sherlock:

flammy

Question about the nippled stem; it’s hard to tell by the photo whether that cavity between the nippled ends opens up wider or is a narrow straw-like pathway to the opposite nippled end. And where would one pick one up?

The diameter of the stem is same at both ends if that's what you're asking. I was lucky enough to get a beta version of the nippled cooling stem and it works really well. The only difference between my beta and the production model is that the production model can accommodate both Nomad 1 and Nomad 2. My beta only works with Nomad 1.

As Dan has already mentioned, it might work too well for some initially. This is a great aspect in general but maybe not ideal for someone who is completely new to the Nomad or unregulated vapes. Unregulated vapes by nature have a variety of variables that affect performance...pulsing, presoak, draw speed are among those. Typically, people will use the heat feedback to help gauge how to regulate the device to their preferences. The nippled cooling stems works well enough to where that heat feedback isn't as prominent as you would want if you're using it to refine technique. So if you're new to the Nomad or unregulated devices, I'd still recommend grabbing one but just keep that in the back of your head.

FWIW, I have several other unregulated devices and the Nomad (with low heater) is by far the easiest for me to pick and use. I no longer really on heat feedback for my technique and have been mostly using @mistvaporizer's nipppled stem since I received it. He just got a new batch in stock if you all want order one. I also created a separate thread for cooling stems so that people don't have to scroll back for info:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/nomad-cooling-stems.44762/

This said, I also have one of @Ed's TnT's wooden Nomad stems (in walnut) and I really like using that when taking the Nomad out and about. It works great but you should expect to have a slight wood flavor at the beginning. I never clean my wood stems as I like them to get seasoned over time to overcome the wood flavor. Some are just the opposite and prefer the wood taste though. its all preference obviously.

Both are great additions to your Nomad. Congrats to all the soon-to-be owners! Truly lucky.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Processing Nomad II woods... couldn't help but tidy one up and get a photo. This is amboyna burl with natural black staining. The staining runs through the burl in veins...and so this block was cut just right to reveal the stain-rich vein on the front face.

Every block in this first Nomad II batch has something special going on!

P1080924.jpg

Top Bottom