The Mushroom Thread

🍄 Mycophile for sure over here! 🍄
Ah I've found my people. We always seem to be close just have to stretch that mycelium to feel for the others. I Love mycology even if I am just an amateur it fascinates me into learning. Once I get the photo sharing down I'll be posting a bit more often in here. Great photos so far though.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I've been on shroomery for years. Magic and medicinal is all I'm really interested in.
Lots of great info in that database. Although I have found some posters there to be needlessly unkind and harsh. Sort of the opposite of what I thought many consumers of the cubes would be. I actually learned a lot about growing various oysters there.

I agree with a previous poster about joining an adult ed or college class on mushroom foraging to find like-minded folks in the nearby area.

Radwin Bodnic

Got a giant crop of them at the moment. I'll pluck one and get a photo when I get a chance.

EDIT:

Here's what happened to the puff shrooms:

And another strongly represented species:

Ok, the first one is a Cantharellus Cibarius. Under the cap you don't see gills not lamellas but it look like anastomosed folds. It is a really good edible. I suggest you to try it, just fried with butter and a pinch of salt and pepper.

The black and white ones are not worth picking. (Either Agaricus Bogusii : uninteresting or Lepiota Felina : toxic)

I won't risk either on the last specie pictured. It could very possibly be toxic as well.

But please go and harvest these Cantharellus before it's too late !

That's a really nice garder by the way !

Radwin Bodnic

Not in the slightest bit suspicious!
Article says they've been poisoned with Death Caps mushrooms aka Amanita Phaloides. They've probably found ⍺-amanitin and β-amanitin in the dead bodies. Intoxication with ⍺-amanitin and β-amanitin have quite a long delay… Firsts symptoms after ingestion appear between 6 to 12 hours. But the victims went to the hospital hours after lunch. It is really unlikely that they have eaten mushrooms for breakfast or during the night.

I think the cook is screwed… Either she wanted to murder them or she just mistook the mushroom with an actual edible. But she didn't ate the mushroom she cooked herself while she was eating with the victims. That is really suspicious.
Plus there are very few edibles that looks like Amanita Phaloides.

Each year in the world, hundreds of persons are dying from eating mushroom they picked and cooked by themselves, thinking these mushrooms are edible. Among all the mushrooms species that live on our planet, there are very few mushrooms that are edible. And some that have been considered edible in the past are now known to be deadly mushrooms if eaten regularly (Gyromitra & Tricholoma equestre).

On a happier note, this is a Boletus Aereus I picked yesterday among smaller specimens (when youth they are shaped like a champagne cork).

foto-no-exif.jpg

It is a really good edible, Super dense and firm texture, perfect when sautéed in cubes of 1cm until it starts to get crispy. Also very nice in a velouté.

But during summer you have to share with slugs and worms…

foto-no-exif-copie.jpg%22

This one is quite OK actually, I've encountered specimens where there was almost nothing left by the mollusks. You can see that the tubes under the cap are still almost white. It means it is still super fresh. (They gets yellower and then take a green hue when getting older.)
Slugs are quite fast once the mushrooms are out…

Have you seen the super fine white net that forms on the surface of the stem ? It gets denser as you gets closer to where the pores of the cap attaches. The most beautiful trait of the Cep family.

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
PSA: never tell your (UK) life partner that the mushrooms you've been growing are lawful until prepared for consumption whilst you are tripping balls and they are not.

Aside from being given the fear ("I knew exactly what I was saying: I wanted you to understand the hurt your selfishness caused") it's been 15 years and it still gets brought up.

Perfect_Speed4069,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Some of you may be interested....😉✌:

Radwin Bodnic

i just got an eighth of shrooms and have never done them before. ive never seen them before they have really long stems and then the caps or whatever. is it just the caps that you eat? or the stems too? cuz its mostly stems and i feel like its a waste or is that how they always are? also i paid $35 for the eighth, is that a normal price? never bought them before. ive aten lots of l before so i'm not really scared of having a bad trip or anything just dont know what the hell to do with these things. thanks guys
Most Psylocybe have long stems and tiny caps. Psylocybe Cubensis can have a thick club-shaped stem.
Most people eat the whole mushroom (stem + cap).

Radwin Bodnic,
Top Bottom