The Lotus Vaporizer

the_hexx

Team Hash
What kind of torch are you using? I've been using mine quite a bit for the last few days, even combusted a couple of times but doesn't looked burnt up like yours. I've also tried a larger torch on it too and it didn't char like your top plate did
Vapman torch, moderate flame, that was why I was surprised too

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Have you tried preheating the plate for about 7 seconds before hitting it? That's what I did when I used to have a lotus.
I didn't expect the charred mark on my plate so soon. I asked vapman lotus Cs about mine because of resin coming off the wood. They told me that I used too much heat. With 7 sec preheat it'll be a lot more heat than before.

I think I need thebother heat plate /saucer pan? which is better for concentrate and heat exposure.
Well somehow your wood got slightly charred. I've done up to a ten second preheat without charring the wood. You've gotta be real careful with your flame angle with these or you may damage your wood. Olive seems a little more susceptible to heat than other types but idk.

Zuhdj,

Tji89

Well somehow your wood got slightly charred. I've done up to a ten second preheat without charring the wood. You've gotta be real careful with your flame angle with these or you may damage your wood. Olive seems a little more susceptible to heat than other types but idk.
Where did I burn it?

Tji89,

coolbreeze

After first use. Is this discoloration normal? Vapman torch, flame perpendicular to plate, making small circles
It's normal for the plates to discolor with heating, like a Dynavap cap does. It sounds like you're doing it right. Preheat until it begins to turn orange, small circles within the divot using a torch flame as long as the distance between petal tips. The rest is draw speed.

Edit: (thanks, @Zagala !) An even better method, the windshield wiper:

Last edited:

jbm

It's normal for the plates to discolor with heating, like a Dynavap cap does. It sounds like you're doing it right. Preheat until it begins to turn orange, small circles within the divot using a torch flame as long as the distance between petal tips. The rest is draw speed.
Thanks, I got some nice vapor, only asking because it discolored in just that one spot. The experience does seem pretty vapman-ish.

Zagala

I think I found it:

N3FyF7T.jpg

Aim as shown, sweep the flame like a windshield wiper from that position.
The first part I think is the key but the windshield wiper I gotta try anyhow.

EDIT: I tried both suggestions and they work well for a nice, even roast. :science::tup::rockon:
I use the preheat method with success for a few hits session like or one big one hit, but I think that everyone new to the Lotus like me should be aware and try the windshield wiper method explained in the quote. I have been having consistent hits bowl over bowl whenever I use this method. But I have the feeling after a few days of use that at some point, once technique is checked I expect there are a lot of ways of using the Lotus depending on what you are after at a given time. For me I like this vape better when it hits hard due to the soothing effects along with the most talked flavour! So thanks @coolbreeze and @bridgesoid for sharing and the quad flame is on its way to try the other method @bridgesoid suggested on page 347.

coolbreeze

Thanks, I got some nice vapor, only asking because it discolored in just that one spot. The experience does seem pretty vapman-ish.
I wonder if it won't even out as the cap is aligned differently each time, forming the familiar circle. I can't really remember how mine did; it's looked more or less the same for a long time.

I think that everyone new to the Lotus like me should be aware and try the windshield wiper method explained in the quote. I have been having consistent hits bowl over bowl whenever I use this method.
Thank you. I'm coming around and it's a really good method. For a lot of new users there's a phenomena of a scorched lower left corner in the bowl (~7-9:00) and it's from the slight angle one tends to use compounded by aiming at the middle of the dot. The windshield method eliminates this almost completely (I think it's largely because you're aiming at a place that spreads the flame across the entire dot, rather than concentrating the heat on one half).

Last edited:

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
My lotus is an absolute delight!

I feel bad for saying this but it's been totally intuitive for me. I haven't got that close to combusting but have had some deliciously thick and satisfying hits so far. I do love the manual nature and with a j hook to keep an eye on the vapour production and to taste the changes when you're starting to get too hot I find it really responsive to my reactions.

I give a small preheat, enough for a subtle glow, then slowly inhale and heat at the same time watching the hook below the wpa. If the vapour starts to look or taste bad I kill the torch. If I slowly get to my desired extraction speed I raise the torch slightly to stay at the sweet spot. It seems to tell me what it wants, and it's already second nature.

I have a couple of small skid marks on the plate but nothing very noticeable. I expect bar keepers friend could take care of those marks. I might try that in a moment of boredom.

someTooL

Yeah. The lotus will absolutely pump out massive vapors if pushed (used) correctly. I’ve now learned that it will also bite you (combust) if pushed too far :lol:

Technique and torch seem to be the biggest factors so far for me. The Vapman honest torch doesn’t appreciate being held straight down. Grind has been no difference to me. Circles or wiper motion seems to yield similar results also. Nice results.

jbm

Can I get some clarification on the “windshield method?” So instead of circles on the center, you’re just doing a straight line back and forth on the center dot? No circles? I’m not sure I’m getting this.

Zagala

That’s what I do. Straight back and forth line, no circle. I don’t know how to explain but the heat seems to radiate. The method also seems to help keep the plate less prone to spots I have seen on some. I am a new user and this method made me love the Lotus even more.

Edit - back and forth from the point indicated for a right handed person to the centre dot.

coolbreeze

Can I get some clarification on the “windshield method?” So instead of circles on the center, you’re just doing a straight line back and forth on the center dot? No circles? I’m not sure I’m getting this.
You're really sweeping it closer to the side you're torching from and letting it sweep slightly across the plate a bit. If you hit the middle of the plate at that slight angle you tend to get a hotspot around 8:00 or so; this method attempts to avoid that and heat the dot more evenly. The illustration linked above is fairly straightforward.

Edit: there's a bit more discussion in the thread around the new method culminating in a demo of the Vaping Machine...

Last edited:

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
I have a couple of small skid marks on the plate but nothing very noticeable. I expect bar keepers friend could take care of those marks. I might try that in a moment of boredom.

I wouldn’t do that. Soft clean cloth only. Nickel plate is very fragile and thin. Don’t scrub with anything abrasive for sure and if you poke a hole it’s done.

also not sure i would add chemicals to it either unless you know how nickel reacts to it.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I’ve been away from home for a couple weeks and my new Lotus has been waiting patiently in my mailbox for me to get back. Got home on Tuesday but just had the chance now to retrieve the item and damn is this thing ever beautiful. I think I’ll keep this one as pristine as possible for as long as possible. Good thing I’ve got the OG to beat up some more.

the_hexx

Team Hash
might you be using some gnarly butane? if it isn't scorching/burning the herbs, you're fine
I am using Colibri butane; I am wondering, even if I was using dodgy butane would that justify the scorched metal? Seems to be worse than anyone else on here. Perhaps I'll try another brand that I have in the drawer..

I seem to be in the minority of not getting along with this vape so far, will keep trying though

the_hexx,
Reactions: Tji89

jbm

I wouldn’t do that. Soft clean cloth only. Nickel plate is very fragile and thin. Don’t scrub with anything abrasive for sure and if you poke a hole it’s done.

also not sure i would add chemicals to it either unless you know how nickel reacts to it.
Well hell. This morning I took a bit of barkeepers on a toothbrush and gently scrubbed off the discoloration. No hole. I was posting to see if I need to take off the top in order to make sure I got it all off. Do I need to just replace the plate now? And if it comes to that, what tool do I need to unscrew the ring?

jbm,

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
iluvgold.jpg

ETA: As one of the few who didn’t get their Lotus, the boys just sent us out an email apologizing, detailing the issue, and providing a timeline for updates. Perfect handling of the situation, I sure do wish I had mine already, but I am happy to wait and know it is nothing Lotus has done. Sounds like an overzealous customs employee :(

Last edited:

Pcloudy

Came here to say the same thing. I was an unlucky one who got stuck with what appears to be an asshole in customs. A++ in the update from vapman. It's much better than the daily text I get from DHL that says "maybe we will have more information tomorrow"

jbm

Don’t use barkeepers on the disc, especially without removing the ring first. I took off the ring and found what looked like residue all the way down. Cleaned the metal parts with an alcohol wipe, wiped the wood with a damp paper towel, let it dry, and put it all back together, which is somewhat fiddly when trying to locate the screw holes blind. I switched in the spare plate, but now I don’t care how discolored it gets. The diagram on the usage card is very helpful here.

Last edited:
Came here to say the same thing. I was an unlucky one who got stuck with what appears to be an asshole in customs. A++ in the update from vapman. It's much better than the daily text I get from DHL that says "maybe we will have more information tomorrow"
This part of the email stood out to me: "And so far, we have received feedback that certain employees in the customs office classify the product as an e-cigarette (even though we clearly state in the customs description that this is not the case)."

Yet another consequence of the US government's crackdown on vapor devices that was TOTALLY for the good of the populace right...

Top Bottom