The Lotus Vaporizer

george

I can see the Lotus as being a great part of my collection some day. Should be perfect for newbies to vaping, as well as bigger sessions. With that said...

Can the unit withstand constant hitting/passing?

george,

David and Michael

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
stinkmeaner said:
Stonemonkey or Vtac, maybe you could try something for us?? It was mentioned that you couldn't hit like a regular pipe and the draw had to be slower but now that I see these somewhat large holes in the bottom of the wood ring I was wondering if you blocked off 2-3 of them or even took some tape and partially covered some/all so that you might get more drag that would equate to longer heat retention and/or more even cooking with larger loads without stirring.

Pretty analytical stinkmeaner.

If you block any of the holes, the air flow and heat won't be as even as it is now.
You can't really change the heat retention because that's controlled by the thickness of the 'hot plate', which is really thin.
I've also seen charring on the top center of a full bowl, as VTAC has. I think its because the inner plate gets hot and radiates. If you remove the material from the bowl at that point, you'll see that only the very top is charred, about 1 or 2 % of the load. If you can resist the temptation to fill the bowl, you'll find that the material cooks really evenly. Less really is more.

David and Michael,
Reactions: BLAZING OG

David and Michael

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
george said:
I can see the Lotus as being a great part of my collection some day. Should be perfect for newbies to vaping, as well as bigger sessions. With that said...

The unit can stand it but it might be tedious to use. The bowl is pretty vaped in one go-around, so you'd be refilling a lot.

David and Michael,
Reactions: BLAZING OG

george

Max Jitter said:
george said:

The unit can stand it but it might be tedious to use. The bowl is pretty vaped in one go-around, so you'd be refilling a lot.

thanks. I think because of the magnetic (instead of screw on) top, that dumping and repacking should be fairly quick. Like 10 seconds quick. Assuming you have your bud grinded already. So i can still see it being useful in situations.
Plus, we all know vaping gets you a lot farther with a lot less. ;)

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Just wanted to thank stonemoneky55 for the "after" pic of the used Lotus.

pakalolo,

stinkmeaner

Max Jitter said:
stinkmeaner said:
Stonemonkey or Vtac, maybe you could try something for us?? It was mentioned that you couldn't hit like a regular pipe and the draw had to be slower but now that I see these somewhat large holes in the bottom of the wood ring I was wondering if you blocked off 2-3 of them or even took some tape and partially covered some/all so that you might get more drag that would equate to longer heat retention and/or more even cooking with larger loads without stirring.

Pretty analytical stinkmeaner.

If you block any of the holes, the air flow and heat won't be as even as it is now.
You can't really change the heat retention because that's controlled by the thickness of the 'hot plate', which is really thin.

In theory it should heat longer with smaller diameter will lower the CFM (cubic feet per minute) of air passing by the metal, to simplify there would be less cold outside air passing by at once. This was just an experiment idea and not meant to imply you had the inlet holes wrong in any way.

Max Jitter, out of curiosity, how did you decide on hole size? And hole pattern layout? Did you use a Thermo-Anemometer in the design to find the best combination of CFM and Temperature?
Thank you for posting the Diagram, you were right about it being harder sometimes to make a simple design that works, it really is a cleverly simple design.

stinkmeaner,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
SSS said:
what connects the stem to the bowl? just curious.

apologies to all for being too high to read last time i popped in. :ko:

this looks like a great piece for backpacking. i don't like having to haul batteries in the backcountry for the mflb.

SSS,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Quick update - I took my wife to see the Social Network (pretty good) today and one of her pet peeves is how long my "ritual" takes before each movie. This was a perfect opportunity to utilize the Lotus to its strengths. I took out the Lotus (pre-packed) took three quick rips and was off to see the movie. My wife was very pleased. As for the movie, I liked it but I came out feeling like SUCH A SLACKER

stinkmeaner

I could see the Lotus replacing the Supreme Vape for on the go because in the car/in a parking lot, it seem like it takes so long to get the Supreme going and then you always have to make sure you put it somewhere where it wont melt anything, like the carpet in a friends car which I have been guilty of.

How is the cool down, can you put it in a pocket after a moment?

stinkmeaner,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Great reviews guys! Glad to see some feedback from you both. Sounds like I might have to try the Lotus ;)

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
How much would you say is the 'optimal' load to get decent hits with little to no chance of combustion?

Max is saying that the bowl is vaped in one go round well, how much is one go round? I get several hits out of my zap (one stem) and I get several hits out of my VG as well. But its 2 different amounts of herb.

Would you say the diameter and depth of the bowlsize are comparable to the VG?
I might be interested in this because of the lessened chance of combusting. I love my VG but its still pretty easy to combust. As others have said, the SV rox too and it think ive only come close to combustion a couple of times in it. (But I was trying) :p

AGBeer,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Jacopone said:
Do you think you could vaporize hash or other concentrates with the Lotus?
You'd want to break the hash up to expose maximum surface area to the hot air. Same as any other convection vape really.

stinkmeaner said:
It was mentioned that you couldn't hit like a regular pipe and the draw had to be slower...
Newbies to vaping often draw as hard as they can, I think this was directed at them. I've found that I need to inhale harder as soon as I see the red spot while heating to prevent the air from getting too hot. I'd say the draw resistance is similar to a Launchbox.

stinkmeaner said:
The plate is thin so it cools down quickly. I can touch the middle of the plate after ~10 seconds.

AGBeer said:
How much would you say is the 'optimal' load to get decent hits with little to no chance of combustion?
The more herb in the bowl, the closer it is to the heat source so you have to give it slightly less heat by inhaling faster/less torching, etc. I wouldn't say there's an "optimal" load, but one half to one scoop as outlined in the instructions seems like a good amount for beginners. Neat little scoop btw.

AGBeer said:
Max is saying that the bowl is vaped in one go round well, how much is one go round? I get several hits out of my zap (one stem) and I get several hits out of my VG as well. But its 2 different amounts of herb.
Pretty subjective, too many factors to consider but I'd say it's similar to a VG in this regard. I stir between hits.

AGBeer said:
Would you say the diameter and depth of the bowlsize are comparable to the VG?
The bowl is approximately 6mm deep (screen is bowed) and 13mm in diameter.

[URL='http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-of-the-lotus-vaporizer-thread.16733/'] [/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

stinkmeaner

vtac said:
stinkmeaner said:
The plate is thin so it cools down quickly. I can touch the middle of the plate after ~10 seconds.

That is great, looks like a truly portable vape then.

The design is so similar to the Vapman, they have a different layout but both use a "hot plate" with "air inlets". I wonder which makes the thickest vapor and has better heat retention between these two?
Do any of you beta testers also own a Vapman?

stinkmeaner,

Ash

vaporist
With the vapeman you heat it up with your lighter and then take a hit using the retained heat in the heat exchanger. The Lotus allows you to apply the heat while you're drawing. This looks like a superior design to me. I also like that there is the long aluminum stem to cool the vapor before it hits your throat.

BTW, can someone measure how much herb is in a scoop?

Ash,

Lovecrafty

Thanks to Max for sending and Vtac for reviewing- I'm happy to read this!

It seems solid and simple enough, and I actually don't mind the color change, but I can see how some are opposed to it. I'm interested in the lab test results, and... petty question: Do you think the wood rings can come in more colors one day?

Lovecrafty,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Gotta say that I am really digging my Lotus Vape.... life has been a bit hectic, new baby, working on the Cloud, doing some secret projects at the VXL (VapeXhaLe) labs, my boss quit at my day job, things were really piling up. Luckily, I had the Lotus sitting in my car, pre-packed with a small amount of Green Crack. I usually don't partake during work hours just because I deal with a lot of legal and contract issues but the Monkey was feeling the pressure. I caved, went to my car and 30 seconds later, I was feeling the relief of medical marijuana. Just the perfect amount, not too high, but high enough to relieve my stress. I finished off the day in a very productive manner.

For 110 bones, this thing is DEFINITELY WORTH it, even if it was just for yesterday. It was/is a real great "on-demand" one/two hitter type vape - I'm diggin it and I have no worries about the discoloration on the outside. Kudos to MaxJitter for introducing a great new portable vape.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
To clarify, I asked for a picture of the discoloring out of curiosity. It looks fine to me, but no matter what it had looked like it would not be a barrier to me getting one. I think it adds to its charm.

pakalolo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Hi Max, I just lifted your picture of the short and long stem Lotus vapes and used it in the Lotus stub I just created on Vaporpedia. (http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Lotus) When I get some time I'll expand the entry based on your answers here and the FAQ on your website, but if you or anyone else reading this would like to preempt me, please do.

I am trying hard not to catch the disease that compels you to buy vaporizers just because they are cool. You're not helping.

David and Michael

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
pakalolo said:
I am trying hard not to catch the disease that compels you to buy vaporizers just because they are cool. You're not helping.

Resistance is futile. Buy, Buy, BUY!!

David and Michael,

stinkmeaner

pakalolo said:

I think many of us on here have that disease, it is not terminal so as your doctor I recommend that you buy what you like.

stinkmeaner,

rusty

I love the look and design of this portable vape and the ease of use.

I am concerned about the use of nickel in the heating plate. I would prefer more inert material. Any chance of offering a stainless steel or other material alternative?

many thanks,

Rusty

rusty,

stinkmeaner

rusty said:
I love the look and design of this portable vape and the ease of use.

I am concerned about the use of nickel in the heating plate. I would prefer more inert material. Any chance of offering a stainless steel or other material alternative?

many thanks,

Rusty

I am sure they used nickel for its heating qualities since they already use stainless & aluminum in the design I don't see why they would use it over the other two if it wasn't necessary since they are already buying other metals for different components.

I really wouldn't worry about the nickel, you are not ingesting it but rather air is just flowing by a small piece of it, there are so many other things in your diet and life that are more harmful, so unless you have nickel allergies don't worry about it. Check these sites and a simple vaporizer that you will probably only use a few times per day will not look so harmful.
http://www.manataka.org/page1853.html
http://www.scienceprogress.org/2008/04/more-unregulated-toxins-in-everyday-products/
http://www.google.com/search?q=toxi...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

stinkmeaner,

David and Michael

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
rusty said:
I am concerned about the use of nickel in the heating plate. I would prefer more inert material.

I was concerned too. That's why I had it tested.
Here are the test conditions:

Code:
Target Temperature, TC1    Actual Temperature                   Time of Test
400F                         390 - 425F                          10 minutes
450F                         450-465F                            5 minutes

Orange hot spot on vaporizer    3/16" diameter minimum,    5 x 10 sec, 50 sec total
625F maximum observed temperature
Temp was measured in the middle of the bowl.

The test result, .051 micrograms total for all 3 conditions, will be on http://www.lotusvaporizer.com/ soon. The file was too big to upload to the forum.
We breathe in .1-1 micrograms of nickel/day, which is why I am not concerned with a test result of .051 mcg. Notice the extreme test temps (vaporization occurs at 350-375F).
I just ran another test at typical operating conditions instead of the extreme of the above test. I'll post those results when I get them.

[URL='http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-of-the-lotus-vaporizer-thread.16733/'] [/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

lwien

Great to see a new, well reviewed vape hit the market. Congrats Lotus.

btw, to those that have used both the Lotus and the LaunchBox, can we get a pro and con list of both as a comparison?

lwien,
Top Bottom