Discontinued The Hammer Vaporizer

Hammer Vaporizer

Manufacturer
We are excited to announce we can officially confirm that the Hammer will function at altitudes up to 10,000 feet above sea level.

This weekend, we took the Hammer up in a jump plane at a local skydiving company and tested it up to 9,600 feet above ground level (AGL) of the airfield, which sits at 433 feet above sea level. I must say that it was quite an adventure and we are super pleased with the results.

To celebrate reaching 10,000 feet, we are going to sell 10 Hammers for only 10,000 pennies ($100) which includes free US ground shipping. That's $40 off full retail price, you will likely never see a better deal on the Hammer Vaporizer. This link will redirect to the regular price after the first 10 units have been sold. Take the leap and grab one now at http://www.hammervapestore.com/products/hammer-vaporizer-altitude-test-special.

We will be posting a video as soon as we have time to edit down the 40+ minutes or so of footage (which also includes pretty sweet footage of two guys jumping from the plane during the test) into a shorter video, but in the meantime, here are some pics and results from the Official Hammer Vaporizer Altitude Test:

We tested at Fly Free Skydiving in Festus, Missouri. Great people, you can check out their website at http://www.flyfreeskydiving.com/

549007_514904918539648_696706522_n.jpg

The plane. It's even smaller than it looks if that's possible. Seats pilot and four people packed in like sardines. I still have a cramp in my leg.

381874_515454385151368_1402857278_n.jpg

Skydiver coming in while we're waiting. She was celebrating her 60th birthday by jumping for the first time with her daughters and grand kids watching from the ground.

249346_515454808484659_1502545705_n.jpg

Door swings open. I say "Holy Shit!". Two guys bail.

253121_514904951872978_966891978_n.jpg

Hammer ignites like a champ at 5970 feet AGL. Denver here we come!

431692_515454155151391_833241364_n.jpg

Hammer still working at 9,600 feet AGL. Skiers and snowboarders all over the world cheer with joy (okay, I made the last part up).

154228_515454191818054_904743462_n.jpg

A few notes about the test:
  • The purpose of the test was to determine if the butane would ignite and burn at high altitudes, so we decided to remove the heat exchanger so it could be clearly seen when the flame was and wasn't igniting. The pictures below show the top of the Hammer glowing red when lit. This glowing DOES NOT occur during normal use. When the heat exchanger is in the Hammer, the flame is in direct contact with it and does not heat up the metal vent on the top as it did during the test. The heat exchanger being present will not in any way affect whether or not the butane will ignite, it only puts it in the direct path of the flame, rather than the top vent.
  • The cabin of the plane was not pressurized at any time, in fact there was a opening the size of my fist in the right door of the plane. We were assured the air inside the plane at any given moment was ambient air and the level of oxygen in the air was basically the same as it would be standing on the ground at the same elevation. We tested the entire time during ascent and did a full circle at 9,600 feet AGL and at 6000 feet AGL on the way down, so there was ample time to test at both altitudes.
  • On the highest setting, the Hammer was still working at 9,600 feet AGL, although on lower settings it was getting spotty and not igniting as easily. It's possible it could work at even higher altitudes, but we are more than happy saying that the maximum suggested functional altitude is 10k feet above sea level. If anyone takes it higher than that and get's it to work, we would love to hear the story.
Feel free to chime in if you have any questions or comments. As I mentioned, a video is forthcoming but it might be a few weeks. Thanks as always for the input and support!

brandonflav

mastermind behind the great Vapor Caper
I must say I am very interested in your product; and with that $100 price tag I am millimeters away from pulling the trigger. My only hold back is that of being an air path snob; sorry if you already addressed this, what all is in the air path that you inhale with this vape?

I think this would be a damn fine out and about or camping vape.

Thanks for your time Hammer.

Hammer Vaporizer

Manufacturer
I must say I am very interested in your product; and with that $100 price tag I am millimeters away from pulling the trigger. My only hold back is that of being an air path snob; sorry if you already addressed this, what all is in the air path that you inhale with this vape?

I think this would be a damn fine out and about or camping vape.

Thanks for your time Hammer.

The airpath is stainless steel and glass only. The exhaust from the butane flame flows around the airpath and out of the top vent, so it never enters the airpath. Clean air goes in one side of the stainless steel heat exchanger, then straight into the glass stem that holds your materials. The vapor flavor is always very good and pure. See this post from earlier in the thread for some feedback from other members: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-hammer-vaporizer.7002/#post-272004

It's perfect for camping, although I would suggest bringing extra butane if you are out for more than a night or with a larger group. See this post for an earlier question and response along the same lines: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-hammer-vaporizer.7002/#post-271218

Hammer Vaporizer,

Dogman

Vaporist Extrordinair
The plane. It's even smaller than it looks if that's possible. Seats pilot and four people packed in like sardines. I still have a cramp in my leg.

381874_515454385151368_1402857278_n.jpg

S
That is a Cessna 182, same plane I jump from. One pilot and four crazy people packed in like sardines. !0,000 feet ayyyy? Are there any 10,000 foot hammers left?

Dogman,
Reactions: OF

OF

That is a Cessna 182, same plane I jump from. One pilot and four crazy people packed in like sardines. !0,000 feet ayyyy? Are there any 10,000 foot hammers left?

There you go, "Tested to 10,000 feet". Each and every one. Put a fancy medallion on it and charge extra. Better than a Rolex, they don't individually test......

And just in time for Christmas, too.

OF

OF,
Reactions: Dogman

Hammer Vaporizer

Manufacturer

We actually went up as high as 10,600 feet AGL and still got the Hammer to ignite, but the flame was diminished on the high setting, so we decided to just call 10k the max "functional" altitude. The jumpers bailed at 6000 feet, then the pilot took us up higher.

The Hammers that we ship out have never had any butane in them, so the two used in the test are not being sold.

I think after the ride along, I am more inclined to actually go back and jump sometime, since I now know what to expect.

Hammer Vaporizer

Manufacturer
Understandable. But the big question is really are they considering vaping now?

OF

Hopefully we convinced a few of their staff to check it out. Apparently e-cigs are very popular among skydivers, so they seemed to like the idea of vaping. Still surprises me sometimes how few people have even heard of vaporizers here in the midwest.

Hammer Vaporizer,

OF

Hopefully we convinced a few of their staff to check it out. Apparently e-cigs are very popular among skydivers, so they seemed to like the idea of vaping. Still surprises me sometimes how few people have even heard of vaporizers here in the midwest.

Cool. Glad to hear the good word is getting out. Even here in sunny California vapes are slow to spread. My take is they have lesser appeal to recreational users (who are looking for mind numbing effect and fast), and (true) medical users tend to be a closet bunch. Still, the word is getting out. As time goes on the advantages in health and efficiency seem to 'have legs'.

OF

Dogman

Vaporist Extrordinair
Vapoization does seem to be very common at drop zones, most of us enjoy a few rips before we get into the air, it helps take the nervous edge off. When I first started skydiving I was amazed how much tobacco and herb vaporization goes on at drop zones. Being healthy is important when you have a life wish.

To Hammer Vapes, go ahead and make the jump, although I would recommend doing a static line jump for your first jump. It requires a 4 to 6 hour class, but the jump is made solo and gives one more of a feeling of personal accomplishment.

You should just go for it, you will never be more terrified or elated in your life. I went for just one static line jump and became extremely addicted. Rip a few hits and jump from a plane, what a rush!

Just about to get this little contraption for my 18th bday! can't wait to finally own one after being so jealous of my friends. easily my favorite vaporizer in general that i have used so far.

Hammer Vaporizer

Manufacturer
Just about to get this little contraption for my 18th bday! can't wait to finally own one after being so jealous of my friends. easily my favorite vaporizer in general that i have used so far.

Glad to hear you like the Hammer so much. Happy birthday and enjoy!

Hammer Vaporizer,

Hammer Vaporizer

Manufacturer
Also wanted to let everyone know there are only a couple of Hammers left at the Altitude Special sale price.

Check out the blog post/link here for more info on the sale and test.

And just for fun (even though it's a bit late), below is a little video I never shared from Halloween...

Hammer Vaporizer

Manufacturer
Thanks to everyone that purchased a Hammer at the "Altitude Test" Special Price! We have closed the link down as we met are sale quota (we actually went a few over, but don't tell anyone). The link will now redirect back to the FC special price which is $20 off retail... still a great deal ;).

If you picked one up during the special, we would love to see a review or post about how it's going. A video of the Altitude Test is still coming as soon as we get some time to edit it down.

marduk

daydreamer
Hammer Vaporizer, what's the grade of the stainless steel used in the heat exchanger?

marduk,

Slug Avenger

Just received my hammer from the altitude test special. I have to say its quite an amazing piece of work compared to my vaporblunt and thermovape t1. One question, what flame level do you guys use consistently? I seem to hover around the bottom setting because it seems to be the best at keeping a steady flame. Anything past the middle shoots the flame out it seems. It's not too much of a problem and I'm still receiving fat clouds of mind blowingly high quality vapor. Great little device.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Just received my hammer from the altitude test special. I have to say its quite an amazing piece of work compared to my vaporblunt and thermovape t1. One question, what flame level do you guys use consistently? I seem to hover around the bottom setting because it seems to be the best at keeping a steady flame. Anything past the middle shoots the flame out it seems. It's not too much of a problem and I'm still receiving fat clouds of mind blowingly high quality vapor. Great little device.
Make a video!!

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: paytonpenn

marduk

daydreamer
Anything past the middle shoots the flame out it seems. It's not too much of a problem and I'm still receiving fat clouds of mind blowingly high quality vapor. Great little device.

I downloaded the user manual, and one of the items under Safety Information/Warnings says "Discontinue operation if you ever see a flame outside of the Hammer enclosure." I wonder what that means exactly.

marduk,

Slug Avenger

Thanks for the quick response, it appears my post got slightly misinterpreted. I did not mean that a visible flame shoots out of the device, I meant to explain that increasing the flame level past the middle seems to hinder consistent flame production. Like I said its not too much of a problem just wanted to get some input. Thanks!

Slug Avenger,

Tweek

Sorry if this was asked already, and I just missed it...but what is the average lifespan of the ignition system?

Tweek,

marduk

daydreamer
Thanks for the quick response, it appears my post got slightly misinterpreted. I did not mean that a visible flame shoots out of the device, I meant to explain that increasing the flame level past the middle seems to hinder consistent flame production. Like I said its not too much of a problem just wanted to get some input. Thanks!

OK, got it. You meant to say the flame cuts out. It might be due to the quality of your butane. Or it could be that with a bigger flame, the jet that hits the heat exchanger gets reflected back and interferes with the flame at the point of ignition. Just guessing.

marduk,

marduk

daydreamer
Vector butane is pretty much on par with Colibri. It just doesn't cost as much. So I don't think it's that. It could be the jet reflection, or even a defective unit, but I'd just wait and see what the official Hammer rep says when he checks this thread.

marduk,

Hammer Vaporizer

Manufacturer
Hammer Vaporizer, what's the grade of the stainless steel used in the heat exchanger?

The heat exchanger is Type 304 Stainless Steel. It was extremely important to us that we used only materials for the airpath that would not effect the taste and purity of the vapor. 304 stainless steel and borosilicate glass make up the entirety of the airpath.

Great to hear you are loving your Hammer, Slug :D

The Hammer was designed to work in wide range of conditions and the "ideal" temperature setting really depends on a number of factors including air temperature, humidity, altitude, material density/moisture, personal preference, etc. While the highest setting for you may "flame out" for various reasons, the same unit might work best on 90-100% in other conditions. So the temp range that works best for you, might not be the same range that works best for someone in another area.

One of the most important things for the inventor when he designed the Hammer was to give the user full control to compensate for these types of variations and not be limited to "manufacturer's" settings.

It does tend to be more likely to "flame out" on higher settings when the butane tank is at full capacity. As the butane pressure tapers down and you consume some fuel, it should ignite more consistently when turned up higher.

It sounds to me like your temp range might be on the lower side, but if the unit is still heating up in a reasonable time frame and your are getting high quality vapor production, that's what really matters. Of course, if you experience any ongoing problems with ignition or the flame staying lit, please let us know.

You nailed it Marduk, I'm using vector butane should I switch to collibri or another brand?

The butane shouldn't effect the performance. We have always used the cheapest drug store bought butane (ie. Ronson) as we assumed most users wouldn't be going out of their way to buy premium filtered butane for the Hammer. We have never seen any issues that we would directly correlate to the type of butane being used.

Sorry if this was asked already, and I just missed it...but what is the average lifespan of the ignition system?

Hard to say... the Hammer has been available to the public for about 6 months, but the oldest units are around 2 years old with no indication of being anywhere near the end of their lifespan. Obviously, it's possible the ignition system may stop working at some point, but whether that is 5 years, 10 years or longer down the road, probably depends on how often you use it and we really won't know until they have been on the market for much longer. We can check with the factory to see if they have a specific number of ignition cycles, but all I can tell you at this point is you will surely get more than your money's worth out of the product. The one-year warranty would cover any ignition system related problems during that time frame.

Hope that helps. Let me know if anyone need further explanations or has additional questions. Thanks for the questions and feedback!

Hammer Vaporizer,
Reactions: Tweek
Top Bottom