• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depav

Just noticed the Firefly - looks like it's a convection portable with a glass heating chamber and swappable battery. Their website says it's available in early December - I did notice an old thread on FC about it which is now closed though.

home-firefly.png

edit: looks like Vape World will carry it as well: http://www.vapeworld.com/firefly-vaporizer

Last edited by a moderator:

sasNW

Damn if this thing works as advertised this would be the perfect portable for me. I'm more excited to see this thing in action then the grasshopper...hope we see some action shots soon that dont require a 45 second pull every time

sasNW,
Reactions: darco

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Damn if this thing works as advertised this would be the perfect portable for me. I'm more excited to see this thing in action then the grasshopper...hope we see some action shots soon that dont require a 45 second pull every time

It does look really nice. Quite a bit more money then the Grasshopper, but I don't really care about price I buy things based on value.

It definitely ticks the boxes though. I like the magnetic lid too, makes it easy to reload; and it has the replaceable battery everyone wants. Keeping my eye out on this.

sasNW

It does look really nice. Quite a bit more money then the Grasshopper, but I don't really care about price I buy things based on value.

It definitely ticks the boxes though. I like the magnetic lid too, makes it easy to reload; and it has the replaceable battery everyone wants. Keeping my eye out on this.

Same here, if we get a good action shot I'll be in the first wave of buyers. And for some reason I like that they say you can just was the bowl out with water. Makes them seem confident in the construction/design and if that's true and ISO wash id assume is no problem. That's the type of ease of maintainence I'm after

The fact they had a design and page in 2011 does raise an eyebrow perhaps?

sasNW,

tepictoton

Looks nice...yet seeing how many 'nice' ideas have passed by allready I will waith paitently to see the first videos of it in action.

However, first question that springs to my mind is, how exactly is it heated? And the good old question of what's in the air path?

anybody invited the manufacturer to the forum?

tepictoton,
Reactions: darkrom

tepictoton

So what heats the boro:party: is it a light bulb? is there a stainless steel heating element under the glass? Will the glass not crack after much temperature shocks, especially if it heats that fast?

tepictoton,

tepictoton

yes, but it still does not answer the question posed: What is heating it? Because it seems to me that you will be sucking air over/under/trough it?

Also what would keep the glass from breaking? This is some serious stress we are talking about here, especially if these rapid warm up periods are followed by rapid cool down periods and so on...

Do not get me wrong, really like this idea and concept, so that is why I want to know more about it

Last edited:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
First glance tells me this thing is too big and uses a good amount of conduction. If that glass heating chamber holds the herbs then it will be a lot like the Ascent in terms of heating method and size...only you get a steel vapor path instead of glass. I wonder how much it will cost. Color me mildly intrigued.

marduk

daydreamer
It could be close to pure convection. Guess we'll have to wait and see for a definite answer. I see it like a Flashvape S2 in a different form factor. The FV does almost instant convection just fine with a ceramic bowl that looks to be maybe twice the size of the Firefly's bowl.

Vapeworld has it listed at $269 for now.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
it all comes down to whether or not they are heating that bowl, and they say they are. It looks like the air comes in through the bottom, which gives me hope they are heating it below the bowl before it gets there. that would at least give it more convection.

stickstones,

marduk

daydreamer
I couldn't find where they say they're heating the bowl directly. I did find info on their Pinterest link which says explicitly that it's convection. Hopefully this is not outdated information. On the downside, it seems like they won't have adjustable temp control, just one fixed temp of 400F. So you'll have to control your actual temps with speed and length of draw...

Jt13tCn.png

Last edited by a moderator:

weedemon

enthusiast
This looks to be like a neat one. I'll be watching this thread too. :) If i recall correctly, I remember writing to these guys asking em to come over here to fc. (no reply, of course) I even signed up to their mailing list. but I do not recall ever getting any updates from them. :(

it looks to me like it's got a metal wire mesh just below the glass bowl that you load your material into.If I am correct then, my next q is what's that grill made out of? if the grill bare metal exposed to the air or is it encased inside glass?

*edit i found this on the site thats selling it
The borosilicate glass heating chamber and stainless metal vapor path
so it's not all glass.

For example, the Gn0me is truly a 100% all glass vapor path. It's heated glass, herbs and you, or your bong if you have the GonG version.

Looking forward to finding out more about this one!

Last edited:

darco

First glance tells me this thing is too big and uses a good amount of conduction. If that glass heating chamber holds the herbs then it will be a lot like the Ascent in terms of heating method and size...only you get a steel vapor path instead of glass. I wonder how much it will cost. Color me mildly intrigued.

Maybe the herbs go under the glass bowl? I think if the glow has to be visible from the top, the heating element has to be between the herbs and the window so I am guessing the herbs go under the bowl and the bowl could just be holding the heating element. If that's the case, this could possibly be mostly convection.

Have been keeping an eye on this since it was announced a couple of years back. I thought the guys gave up but apparently they were working up to something!

Apart from being skeptical about the 'micro processor controlled draw based temperature controller' I think this vape seems to have a lot of things that I like. Especially the battery. I don't think I know of any other vape that uses flat cellphone like batteries that allow for more pocketable form factors.

darco,

Vapetologist

HamsterDAMAGED
It can't heat the glass if its instantaneous. Heating the glass at all to accomplish vaping would be super inefficient. I don't think this is a conduction vape. Based on images, the elements are located directly below the bowl, but there is no apparent screen. But what separates the herb? Holes in the glass will allow herb to fall in...There is no indication of any kind of screen, glass or metal or other. I imagine that there is some very creative air routing here. And they call the glow...magical. So the glass is just reflecting/bouncing/scattering the light from the glowing elements. And if its air flowing over hot elements, then that flow will need to be controlled. The grills, all six of 'em, would seem to allow for great flow. I don't want to pull a milkshake through a straw. Or worse, a scenario involving golf balls.

It would be cool if he side grille's where able to filter the air somehow as well. I love the replaceable battery aspect, but fear that they will of course be proprietary. And hopefully they aren't terribly expensive, but I predict something like 59.99 per extra. Place ya betsz...

I love my MF, but to be honest there are certain times I have busted it out with certain -occasional, skeptical- users, and they look at it - then at me like its some steampunk crackpipe. (Well...I guess it is.) Then I tell them it has be hit pretty specifically, and to a new user suddenly a vape can be an odd thing. But I do appreciate the ...elegant?...design of the Firefly. I think that it is a very good thing for the vape industry in that a design like this will resonate with people that are not necessarily embracing the lifestyle so lovingly like we all are. It pushes the legitimacy of the industry ahead just a little bit. (lets hope it actually works) Not that we need it to be more legit, but there are still so many out there that do. I meet people all the time that are daily users that don't even know what a vape is. That's mind blowing to me. I recently over heard the following: " Isn't a vaporizer like a small microwave?"

I have pretty high hopes for the Firefly, considering how many years its been in the making, you have to think/hope they figured it out.

In my poshest voice, "Firefly, Guvnah?

6LxMYhn.png

Edit: It appears, that based on the image above, and this is great speculation, that the lid is actually the top halve of the 'stainless steel airpath'. There is no tube, rather a void between the lid and the unit. You can see how the outer edge of the lid has a lip that sits around the stainless on the bottom. And if that is the case, the bottom halve of it, which looked to be screwed on, is also flat...so that if it collects anything...in theory you could just scrap it off. WIN>but what about the top half...it doesn't look flat, rather concave to accommodate this hypothetical wide and thin airpath.

Edit 2: The 'black ring' on the underside of the lid is not a seal, or a gasket of any kind...that is a reflection of the area around the bottom section. They photographed it on black fabric, and could not edit that out. Also, if you look to the portion of the lid at the far end, you can see in the reflection, that the end of the bottom section has some sort of way of the air to get back down into it, where it immediately leaves out the mouthpeice. Cooler vapors!

I think I have taken this too far.

Last edited:

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Based on images, the elements are located directly below the bowl, but there is no apparent screen. But what separates the herb? Holes in the glass will allow herb to fall in...
Actually, that's not necessarily true. I've got a loose leaf Cera and it has a simple ring of small holes at the bottom directly below the bowl. The holes are very small, and the ceramic that they lead through is relatively thick. Because it operates on pure convection, you can (should) leave your grind a little fluffy, and then there's no chance of anything falling through. Any bit that might end up partially obscuring a hole will get pulled right out, since that's where the air is coming from.

I went from the launch box to the Cera and it took me a while to get my head wrapped all the way around the shift from pure conduction to pure convection. For the first few weeks I was still grinding as fine as I could without thinking about it and ended up with a few combustion events. The theory goes that a tiny bit of herb might fall down, ignite, and get pulled back up, igniting the rest. Ever since I stopped preparing my herb as if for a launch box, I haven't been able to combust in the Cera at all, and I do take the flowers to a very dark brown state.

Long story short, if its convection heating is very effective, a coarser grind can negate any risks from small holes at the bottom.

darco

The magnetic flat airpath is quite similar to my favorite combustion pipe the Journey Pipe http://www.journey2.com/

I don't combust that often, but when I do, this is by far my favorite pipe as its insanely easy to clean. If the Firefly design is similar, its going to make it one of the easiest to clean vape and I think thats a huge plus for me.

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Okay, but this an ideal circumstance. If you have finer ground material(a byproduct of any grind process)...well I still want to load that too!
I don't know, I use a mendo mulcher and the herb comes out the perfect consistency for my Cera but too coarse for my launch box. I was skeptical about how the holes at the bottom of the Cera's bowl wouldn't be a concern, but I assure you it works very well. I do think that tiny and intricate holes like that might be more difficult to mass produce in a glass piece than one made out of ceramic, though... So your theory about some kind of redirected airflow is probably more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom