The Cheaponic - cheaper than papes :)

@almost there With the BG Chillums, I used a 16mmx100mm test tube. Any one will do...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16x100mm-Glass-Test-Tube-With-16mm-Rubber-Stopper-Black-Pack-1-Free-Shipping/183262702822?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Also, with the BG Chillums, I had to use these caps...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-x-75-mm-12-pk-Plastic-Clear-Test-Tubes-with-Cap-Options-3-in/121695331301?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=420697496834&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I really prefer to use these caps with the flanges...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Karter-Scientific-208F3-Test-Tube-Cap-Flange-type-16mm-Red-Color-Pack-of-25/382492047716?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

.. but they only fit a 9mm inner tube so I had to go with the other caps. Your mileage may very with whatever cap system you decide on.

Let me know if you need close up pics of anything.

asdf420

*removed high overengineered fantasy involving TC mod boxes*

My 16mm inner tubes have arrived. Just need screens, and figure out how to fit them so they don't touch the test tube. maybe wood, 16mm & 20mm drills.

Last edited:
asdf420,
Reactions: Used2use

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
I really like cork bc it seals and holds everything nice due to the flexibility

Used2use,
Reactions: asdf420

asdf420

now I really wish i had bought test tubes with cork stoppers
but wouldn't it'd be hard to drill a 16mm hole on an 18mm cork and have it hold together? maybe a giant cork would do the trick, with 20mm and 16mm holes

asdf420,

virtualpurple

now I really wish i had bought test tubes with cork stoppers
but wouldn't it'd be hard to drill a 16mm hole on an 18mm cork and have it hold together? maybe a giant cork would do the trick, with 20mm and 16mm holes

I believe I read in o e of the threads in this sub forum that drilling cork in general is problematic and that people generally have better luck using some sort of punch tool.

But I could just as easily be mistaken.

virtualpurple,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Used2use

Well, the main problem with drilling cork is that it's natural material, some work, some won't
A sharpened metal tube, or real cork drills are better - i think i mentioned that in the first post somewhere...
@asdf420 u could also try to just cut 2-3 wedges (out of broken cork :D ) to hold the tubes
The problem with wood is to get it to fit snug without putting much stess on the cheap glass...

Think out of the box a little. Instead of a cork or insert that goes INSIDE the test tube, how about a piece of plastic, rubber or wood that goes on the OUTSIDE of the test tube.

In one of my prototypes, I used a syringe casing, cut to about 2" long. I'll grab a pic and post it.

asdf420

the best results i've had have been with a ~1" long load, leaving maybe a 1/3" space at the top, heating at the center of the load. anything more gets unevenly heated. if i heat at the bottom of the test tube, the top of the bowl (closest to the bottom of the test tube) gets vaped/burned and the bottom remains green. The stem is much thicker than the test tube, but it heats up a lot. i wonder if it'd really work better with a stem of lesser OD, maybe a thicker test tube..

Although i can't seem to get this to work like hackerman, this thing got me rather f*cked last night, pretty big clouds after 4-5 heat cycles. it's kind of a slow extractor, needs patience or you will combust

Last edited:

breiter_fighter

Hello dear friends and scientists,

I am really happy that i found this thread. I quitted combustion just in the spring this year, my VC helped me a lot with this.

Now i feel VAS slightly kicking in...

There are so many beautiful vapes out there. I absolutely like the sticky brick, the vapman, the lotus, the vaponic, elev8er, the vapocane and also the vapolution pocket vaporizer. Sadly i never had the chance to try any of them out. All of the people i know are still combusting and i thought instead of buying vaporizers, why not make some myself and give them away to friends.

Soooo i really love your idea of the cheaponic and will try to make them myself (even if i have very clumsy hands).

Maybe you can help me with your experience.
For the outer tube i want to use this test tubes -----> here
For the inner tubes i want to use this lufkas -----> here

Do you think it is a good choice of material? Also if you are interested i could share some of the inner tubes with some of you because they come in a pack of hundred....

Soooo long

Greetings, keep the science alive. Much love and light to you all!

P.s.: I would like so much to try some of the vapes i mentioned above to compare them to the DIY vapes. Vaponic vs. cheaponic would be very interesting match!

breiter_fighter

Yes, those will work fine - maybe get 25 outer tubes with cork so the ratio is 1:4 to inner tubes which is nice from the cleaning aspect...
Just ordered them. I will let you know about the results asap.
We have to be patient a little bit because i am not home until mid of october, enjoying and working in the alps.
Thanks for your advice on the material @Used2use (and let me know if you want me to send you some of the lufkas)

A really lovely community.

Seeee yaaaaa :spliff:

breiter_fighter,

breiter_fighter

Hello my friends,
I am reporting back in.

The Cheaponics are a very big success. I made 20 of them and there are beautiful little give-aways for winter time.
But i don't like to give them away only, i was surprised about the good results they deliver. In my view, they seem to be very efficient and tasty.
It's the first picture i upload in this forum, i hope you can see it.
I putted my vapman next to them, so you can the the size difference (and sorry for the bad quality, my phone camera is all i have)
So long,
Thanks for the inspiration; may all your thoughts be positive!:peace:
immogq3a_jpg.htm

edit: trying to make the picture visible...
edit2: one more try with another uploader, maybe working now?

immogq3a_jpg.htm

Last edited:

babunja

@almost there With the BG Chillums, I used a 16mmx100mm test tube. Any one will do...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16x100mm-Glass-Test-Tube-With-16mm-Rubber-Stopper-Black-Pack-1-Free-Shipping/183262702822?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Also, with the BG Chillums, I had to use these caps...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-x-75-mm-12-pk-Plastic-Clear-Test-Tubes-with-Cap-Options-3-in/121695331301?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=420697496834&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I really prefer to use these caps with the flanges...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Karter-Scientific-208F3-Test-Tube-Cap-Flange-type-16mm-Red-Color-Pack-of-25/382492047716?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

.. but they only fit a 9mm inner tube so I had to go with the other caps. Your mileage may very with whatever cap system you decide on.

Let me know if you need close up pics of anything.
I know I'm late, but it isn't too big the hole of the og chillum? I tried to replicate 16x100 and 100mm glass chillum but i think i need a screen or a filter.

babunja,
It depends on how fine you grind. I grind course so the BG Chillum was fine as is. If you grind more fine, yeah, a screen might work better.

Either way, it's been a long time since I used an all glass butane vape. I have one in my hand right now to re-kindle the love. LOL

Thanks and good luck.

babunja

It depends on how fine you grind. I grind course so the BG Chillum was fine as is. If you grind more fine, yeah, a screen might work better.

Either way, it's been a long time since I used an all glass butane vape. I have one in my hand right now to re-kindle the love. LOL

Thanks and good luck.
Thanks u inspired me to do an all glass vape, so now that you don't use the cheaponic often, which u use? Thanks a lot

babunja,
I don't use any butane vape much any more. I am outside almost all the time since I moved to SoCal and butane vapes are not great outdoors for me.

I rotate around quite a bit.

Hackerman,

weedidas

I made 2 with 16mm+10mm, and 16mm+12mm chillum. Takes a long time to heat, about 30 seconds with an alcohol burner or small torch or 60 seconds with a lighter and 2-3 reheats to get brown AVB. Would like to vape faster and use less fuel so i'll try 12mm+10mm and 10mm+8mm.

The fastest and most fuel efficient way is by pure conduction with herb in the testtube but that gives uneven AVB and feels harsh on the throat for some reason.
My second prototype was not as successful. I used a larger (16mmx100mm) test tube and the larger size definitely created a number of problems. I also tried standard test tube rubber stoppers and I found them difficult to work with and not very pleasant smelling. LOL
What problems? What tube combos do you think works best? What ones are most fuel efficient?

weedidas,
The size of the original Vaponic was probably the best fr most people. Great 1 (or 2) -hitter. I actually liked the one that used a "BG Chillum" as the main tube. Super duper hits. Easily milk a bong and still have that awesome all-glass flavor.

Hackerman,

Used2use

iirc i used those from Poland Link
really close to the original vaponic bowl size, a little bit smaller - gifted most of them away...

Used2use,

babunja

@Used2use
Lol mass with be easy to heat. I am not saying to use copper screening.. instread use SS316L or similar grade mesh.The mass of the sceen might be low but it will be enough to heat this tiny bowl for sure. Imagine vapor formation with be a lot quicker. I think people exagerrate the convection aspect of the vaponic.. It is more like 30% convection and the rest radiation and conduction.
Air will pass trough the mesh holes and will be heated evenly similar to the idea of the Mesh heaters used in some vaporizers like the Splinter.
I even can imagine a cloud bullet sleeved on a bowl's tip which sits in a test tube.
i know its been years but i was having the same idea, have you ever tried this? I wanted to use the same method as IQOS which would be induction heating of steel inside the chamber vaporization, So as to warm up faster and more suitable for MTL

babunja,

babunja

As a little bonus add on - a cheap barebone torch free heater the Cheapexhale :brow:

VO2r1Jr.jpg

That's a 12€ 60w soldering iron with adjustable temp (300-350C seems to be the good range),
12mm copper fitting to hold/heat the outer tube (those fittings have a little nipple in the midle which needs to be filed of),
and a hose clamp to hold it in place/isolate the stand.
(I'd recommend a few min burn off outside for the first heat up without the tube inserted, got quite smelly in my room without, but then it's fine...)

All in all really inconspicous parts to travel with :dog:
I know it's late, but would you have pictures to understand how you created I know it's late, but would you have any pictures to understand how you created the cheapexhale? Thank you

babunja,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Hello my friends,
I am reporting back in.

The Cheaponics are a very big success. I made 20 of them and there are beautiful little give-aways for winter time.
But i don't like to give them away only, i was surprised about the good results they deliver. In my view, they seem to be very efficient and tasty.
It's the first picture i upload in this forum, i hope you can see it.
I putted my vapman next to them, so you can the the size difference (and sorry for the bad quality, my phone camera is all i have)
So long,
Thanks for the inspiration; may all your thoughts be positive!:peace:
immogq3a_jpg.htm

edit: trying to make the picture visible...
edit2: one more try with another uploader, maybe working now?

immogq3a_jpg.htm
Have you considered putting a piece of stainless steel foil in there to heat with an induction heater? Been wanting to try that for ages. Just curious.

TommyDee,
Top Bottom