The Cheaponic - cheaper than papes :)

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
Here is my ~50ct/piece vaponic DIY version, a pretty simple '2 minute build' :

9XpSeTQ.jpg

Parts needed:
- Outer tube: 12x75 mm test tubes with cork - like here
- Inner Tube: Glass Cigarette Holders /Lily pipe / Fifka / Lufki / Dulawki / Cygarniczki - like here
(=100 fresh bowls/vapor paths :D )
Tools:
- hand drill and some drill bits of the inner tube diameter and smaller
- a file

ob3htp9.jpg

First drill a hole through the cork with the diameter of the inner tube. I stepped the sizes of bits starting small to prevent breaking of the cork, well i tried, it's natural material after all - don't worry if a bit of the smaller part splits, it's only 15-20mm of the larger side needed.

There are dedicated cork drills, but hard to find the right diameter...the drill hole could be smoothed with some sandpaper with more motivation, but it's a cheapo...

0STrI2I.jpg

Here u can see, no problem if the small part did split a bit, just cut it off ;) Now insert the inner tube, it should be a tight snug fit ideally....(but it's a cheapo :lol:)

uIUxoBh.jpg

Last step - finally
File in some 'air inlet channels' aka grooves - i usually make 3 around the cork, leaving it on the inner tube is better to file with a little angle. Here u can 'adjust' the draw resistance with the size of the grooves.
IMPORTANT - do not file in the larger diameter ending of the cork, or it won't seal proper on 14mm female glass...

13Ggiss.jpg

Put on the outer tube and that's it :cheers:.
Bottom one is standard cheapo, above the 'deluxe version' and a standard one in a 14-18mm reducer.

Heating is pretty similar to the vaponic, just heat the top inch of the tube, many variations from slow session to one hit are possible with practice....
Eg for one hits i heat only the outer tube until the torch flame turns orange on the glass, then insert the inner tube and watch it extract through the glass...

In comparison to the vaponic the glass is thinner (0,7 vs 1mm) so it heats a bit faster and retains heat a bit less but still very similar, and it's direct a bit hotter with no fresh air mixing in like the original - but a tradeoff for thicker vapor...

As a little bonus add on - a cheap barebone torch free heater the Cheapexhale :brow:

VO2r1Jr.jpg

That's a 12€ 60w soldering iron with adjustable temp (300-350C seems to be the good range),
12mm copper fitting to hold/heat the outer tube (those fittings have a little nipple in the midle which needs to be filed of),
and a hose clamp to hold it in place/isolate the stand.
(I'd recommend a few min burn off outside for the first heat up without the tube inserted, got quite smelly in my room without, but then it's fine...)

All in all really inconspicous parts to travel with :dog:

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Hey ! Nice DIY,i have made a few myself ,i used 10mm test tube for the bowl and 12mm test tube for the heater. I dont have photos but here is a schematic showing two possible modifications. I use 22mm corkplugs ,they are much larger than what you have there :).
292kwlx.png

Used2use

well the cork size works just perfect as is, only 2 orders for 3 parts - it's a lazy cheapo ;) and fits the original vaponic marker that way...

Sukko

Hi!

Does the cigarette holder fit in the original Vaponic?

That would be a real cheapo spare part!

Sukko,
Reactions: Used2use

Used2use

No, they won't fit/hold in the silicone part - the original vaponic glass is much thicker and more precise than those cheap ones.

Last edited:

Used2use

Just found these, a bit more expensive but the added lenght should smooth the vapor :cool: - they should fit, gonna have to wait if they actually do fit...

Used2use,
Reactions: Sukko

Sukko

Let us know if they do!

There are a lot of glass tubes in that site, what diameter is needed for the vaponic?

Sukko,
Reactions: Used2use

Abysmal Vapor

Let us know if they do!

There are a lot of glass tubes in that site, what diameter is needed for the vaponic?
Vaponic is 12 mm and is 1mm wall that makes is roughly 10mm OD so anywhere below that would work :).That glas is also very thing if needed you can bend it a little with your torch to decrease size .

Used2use

The 8 inch glass holders arrived - they also have the little end ridge and are just a hair too big in diameter :(
But i grinded one down to fit, it just got one little crack (luckily still intact) - the test session convinced me (smooth as silk :nod:) to look for some larger diameter test tubes...
Maybe tomorrow some pics if it survives further testing :science:

My first prototype worked like a charm right out of the gate...

9QvFaZ2.jpg

My second prototype was not as successful. I used a larger (16mmx100mm) test tube and the larger size definitely created a number of problems. I also tried standard test tube rubber stoppers and I found them difficult to work with and not very pleasant smelling. LOL

I am still working on why the larger test tube was such a poor performer. I have some 20mmx150mm test tubes coming. I was going to make a SUPER Vaponic. LOL

My current prototype is using my old one-hitter bat in lieu of the glass 'cigarette holder'. It worked quite well on first try but I need to do some tweaking and some testing to see if that's actually going to work. I love re-tasking old stuff. I have a bunch of those old one-hitters and dugouts. If I could re-task all those by adding little more than a glass test tube to convert them all to vapes......... might be cool.

I also am working on incorporating these old mouthpieces. Remember these? They were on every vape pen we bought for the first year or so. LOL

pyIwRTl.jpg

Finally, using this same concept, I placed a round bottom 50ml flask around one of my standard old fashioned 30 year old marijuana pipe. LOL I heated the flask and much to my amazement it vaped pretty darn well. I had to laugh. It is logical that it would work so I don't know why I was surprised. But, basically, this concept will work with just about any old pipe.

Pretty neat idea. Kudos to Vaponic.

Just a note: If I post my DIY stuff at other sites (which I do) I always try to mention the fact that the idea was provided to me by Vaponic and I always recommend people to go to the Vaponic.com site and order a REAL one. LOL I feel bad, like I am stealing from Vaponic so I think it's right to give credit and to tell people (especially those who are not DIYers) to visit Vaponic.com and place an order for, what I think, is the best butane vape on the market. Fast service. Decent price. Best tasting vape I own. Highly recommended.

Used2use

I am still working on why the larger test tube was such a poor performer. I have some 20mmx150mm test tubes coming. I was going to make a SUPER Vaponic. LOL
well there are some physical factors like the heated surface to volume(flow) ratio that changes with scaling up... but i'm with U, maybe heat up a glass drinking straw and try to widen one side into bowl shape....
A lager version could also be made of 100% glass, there are test tubes with 14mm ground connection (would need some holes for intake), a fitted downstem with bowl end as inner tube + m2m adapter...
Just a note: If I post my DIY stuff at other sites (which I do) I always try to mention the fact that the idea was provided to me by Vaponic and I always recommend people to go to the Vaponic.com site and order a REAL one. LOL I feel bad, like I am stealing from Vaponic so I think it's right to give credit and to tell people (especially those who are not DIYers) to visit Vaponic.com and place an order for, what I think, is the best butane vape on the market. Fast service. Decent price. Best tasting vape I own. Highly recommended.
That's why i named it so similar ;) and it's absolutely necessary to get at least one Vaponic to get the storage pen... definitive praise for the vaponic team for such a brilliant product although the general reverse flow idea is a tad older....

Last edited:
Too funny. Those old globes are a perfect fit over the 16mm caps. The extra length is awesome for rolling it while heating.

0VFaDBj.jpg

Without the globe, I found if you push the glass inner tube all the way flush with the cap, you can use the plastic cap as a mouthpiece rather than the direct glass tube (which can get a little hot after a few uses).

pKcTfMt.jpg

With the glass globe added, you can drill a small hole in the side and use it as a carb to mix vape with clean air.

I don't really like these glass inner tubes. The flair at the end is too wide and the load, sometimes falls out. The real Vaponic uses a load that is slightly 'football' shaped and fits nice and snug.

Always imitated, never duplicated.. the Original Vaponic www.vaponic.com

I am really starting to like these. LOL The newest prototype was my first reach this morning (after the couple joints I have with my coffee.) Once you have made a few of these the draw becomes very easily customizable from a cigarette draw to a nearly free flow. These may become my regular goto.

Water version. Fits my 19mm bong and draws great.

bTmkA5s.jpg

And, coming soon..... a JUMBO version. LOL Waiting for some longer/larger inner tubes. Should be here next week.

KGqXD9x.jpg

Well, I gotta say, this is the coolest theory that I have played with for a while. You can make a convection vape out of just about anything. LOL

This latest one is totally amazing. It holds a man size hit (no offense ladies :) ) and the hits I get rival what I get from a log vape.

This one is really really simple. 3 pieces. A 16mm x 100mm test tube and one of these glass one-hitters..... https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pcs-TM-G...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

...and a Keck clip to hold the inner tube. The outer test tube just floats.

This thing works amazingly well. You can hold the Keck in your hand while you rotate the outer test tube. It surprised me that I got a totally even heat just by rotating the outer tube and not the inner tube. The glass one-hitter is very thick and very nice quality. This baby isn't going to break as quickly as the smaller ones I used in the first prototypes.

You can play it like a trombone to adjust the hit while you are toking. I read a post that the designer of The Vaponic made about the distance from the end of the inner tube to the bottom of the outer test tube was very important for getting the maximum hit. Real close and it gets a giant vapor. Pull it out a little and give it a bigger oven and the taste changes completely to a milder taste. And, naturally, a little less cloud.

The tolerance between the inner and outer is so slight that a cork is not even required. Just enough air sneaks around the edge to make a perfect hit. And, if pressed all the way in, the Keck clip blocks a certain amount of incoming air.

Totally customizable to the kind of hit YOU want.

This is too amazing. LOL

QZ47zDO.jpg

gmj5hPT.jpg

Abysmal Vapor

@Hackerman Nice bowl,Cheap alternative of that bowl would be just getting a 12 or 14mm tube and use it as a bowl,at least this is what i do. Also i really like the holder idea,i have fashioned something similar out of copper wire(similar to a pen clip) and ditched the cork . I use mine exclusively with an alcohol lamp ,saves a lot of rotating.:).

Last edited:

Used2use

For optimum convection the inner tube should not touch the outer, but it works anyways... Next bigger size i'll try is a 28x200 tube and a 14mm downstem with s&b dosing cap inside...

Abysmal Vapor

@Used2use Just looking at some broken corks you have up. You should get a cheap diamond file set. Cork prefers to be filed,rather than drilled or cut. It will save you a lot on the damage :).
Here is a really old but cool idea.Why not making a whole on the glass tube :).I found this photo when diggin on an old HDD and then online via photosearch appears the host is still alive and based in Israel ,lol .. :)
vapopipe.jpg

Last edited:

Used2use

Yes, drilling cork with wood drills is 'suboptimum' - better are those:
9143112_1.JPG

it's more cutting than drilling, a sharpened tube end with the right diameter would be ideal - but in the end as long as it sits tight it doesn't matter how the hole gets in.
Or those for drills
4-st-cke-Barrel-Kork-Bohrer-Stecker-Cutter-Bohrer-Langweilen-Loch-holz-Zapfen-Lochs-ge-Dorne.jpg_640x640.jpg

It's basically a disposable vape, used glass in the recycling bin and the cork can be reused a lot - but most of the time i just gift em away....

Already got some test tubes with pre made holes like those :brow:

21Z1SbmP6YL.jpg

now i need the longest downstems i can find for the 28x200 tube...

Straight Arizer stems should fit in 18mm OD tubes, but they are a bit short for that...

Used2use

Good question, couldn't find the right searchwords in english so far i guess
- something like hanging test tube/hanging vase with holes....
'Test tube with hole' is the translation for this ebay auction
Actually found them in a decoration stuff store....

Used2use,
Top Bottom