The Cheaponic - cheaper than papes :)

Dee Based

Hi All,

What a great thread! Thank you so much for documenting all your work, Used2use!!

I found THESE test tubes
And THESE Chillums

Do I have the sizes right?

The test tubes already have corks, but I kinda also wanted to try the Keck clips. Could you advise me on what size to use with 12x75mm tubes and 10mm Chillum stems, please?

Dee Based

Dee Based,
Reactions: Used2use
I used 16mmx100mm outer tubes when I used those chillums. I also used the plastic stoppers rather than cork since the plastic was easier to work with. Have fun!!!

Hackerman,

Dee Based

Thanks. How did the 16x100mm work? I've read some people say that size was too big?

Dee Based,

Dee Based

Hi - I'd like to give credit to Used2Use and Hackerman from this thread. I'm updating their experiments with new links and pictures here.

I will say I use my homemade Cheaponic almost exclusively now, I like it better than my Terpcicle and M+. Although the heated vapor is slightly irritating on my throat (like the others), I no longer cough in the mornings and my lungs just feel better overall. It also seems to give a very pleasant, "all is good" high. Really like it.

My version is THIS. It's just 3 parts and a rubber band.

FJ8bdaR.jpg

Here is a parts list:

Once you receive all the parts, simply put a few unground nuggets of weed in the "bowl" of the one-hitter, attach the lab clip to the one-hitter with the larger side of the clip facing the test tube, insert the one-hitter into the test tube, and wrap the rubber band around the test tube stem and then back around the lab clip, as in the picture. Heat with a torch and inhale slowly.

I'd also recommend Harber Frate for a cheap torch. They have an 1,100 degree torch for $15 that's working great for me.

Also, props to Vaponic for the original design. If you're not into DIY projects, I'd recommend buying a Vaponic. The design looks solid and probably works even better than this one.

So the total cost is $23 for 6 Cheaponics, or $3.83 apiece. I recommend 6 because you'll probably break a test tube or two, and it's nice to have spares. The tubes should not break from heating. With my torch it's slightly over 20 second heating cycle for two hits, then 5 or 10 seconds for each cycle after that. Your times my vary a little bit, depending on torch temp. I'm happy to answer any questions and I wish you happy vaping!

If anyone makes one of these I'd love to hear your feedback. :)

GratefulDread

Hi - I'd like to give credit to Used2Use and Hackerman from this thread. I'm updating their experiments with new links and pictures here.

I will say I use my homemade Cheaponic almost exclusively now, I like it better than my Terpcicle and M+. Although the heated vapor is slightly irritating on my throat (like the others), I no longer cough in the mornings and my lungs just feel better overall. It also seems to give a very pleasant, "all is good" high. Really like it.

FJ8bdaR.jpg

Here is a parts list:

Once you receive all the parts, simply put a few unground nuggets of weed in the "bowl" of the one-hitter, attach the lab clip to the one-hitter with the larger side of the clip facing the test tube, insert the one-hitter into the test tube, and wrap the rubber band around the test tube stem and then back around the lab clip, as in the picture. Heat with a torch and inhale slowly.

I'd also recommend Harber Frate for a cheap torch. They have an 1,100 degree torch for $15 that's working great for me.

Also, props to Vaponic for the original design. If you're not into DIY projects, I'd recommend buying a Vaponic. The design looks solid and probably works even better than this one.

So the total cost is $23 for 6 Cheaponics, or $3.83 apiece. I recommend 6 because you'll probably break a test tube or two, and it's nice to have spares. The tubes should not break from heating. With my torch it's slightly over 20 second heating cycle for two hits, then 5 or 10 seconds for each cycle after that. Your times my vary a little bit, depending on torch temp. I'm happy to answer any questions and I wish you happy vaping!

I'm using a very similar setup at the moment. Loving it.. The price to performance ratio is crazy to me.
I haven't been following this thread closely so forgive me if someone already mentioned it, but this is what I use for the bowl.
It's a 3-in-1 WPA for the Arizer Argo, but it works great for this purpose. It's also compatible with the same size test tubes you linked to (16mm)
These water "wands" for the Dynavap also work well. You just need to make your own screen but you can choose how big a "bowl" you want.
Also, I'm using 14mm plastic keck clips which are working great for me.

Last edited:

WARvault

Hey guys, for what it is worth I made a cheaponic. It works pretty great the 5 times I have roasted it. One little alteration I made and would highly recommend to anyone making these from overseas shipped parts. Instead of the cork stoppers which I spent a lot of time tryna size up correctly, then carefully file the fresh air channels, then carefully drill the mouthpiece hole, etc... What I used is cork craft sheet roll cut down into a narrow ribbon. I roll this around the draw-tube about one and a half times. This allows you to trim a little off the end of the ribbon to adjust both the pressure of the cork against the glass AND the fresh air draw weight. If your strap of cork is too long, the air paths will be totally blocked. If it is too short, the draw-tube won't be solid in the chamber. Mine feels sturdy as, I can swing it around a bit with out it ever feeling like it wants to let go. I have made this account literally just to make this post. I will put up pics if I can find an easy way to...

Edit

tukatukera

Retailer
Hey guys, for what it is worth I made a cheaponic. It works pretty great the 5 times I have roasted it. One little alteration I made and would highly recommend to anyone making these from overseas shipped parts. Instead of the cork stoppers which I spent a lot of time tryna size up correctly, then carefully file the fresh air channels, then carefully drill the mouthpiece hole, etc... What I used is cork craft sheet roll cut down into a narrow ribbon. I roll this around the draw-tube about one and a half times. This allows you to trim a little off the end of the ribbon to adjust both the pressure of the cork against the glass AND the fresh air draw weight. If your strap of cork is too long, the air paths will be totally blocked. If it is too short, the draw-tube won't be solid in the chamber. Mine feels sturdy as, I can swing it around a bit with out it ever feeling like it wants to let go. I have made this account literally just to make this post. I will put up pics if I can find an easy way to...

Edit
I absolutely LOVE this iteration of the DWGV (Double-walled glass vape) that seems to continue to prove that it's just a timeless design that I believe will be a staple of non-combustion for the future to come as something that's a no-excuses-taken way to vape.
God I love the simplicity, practicity and clarity these devices provide.

WARvault

Hey, back again already. I had another pile of glass bits and bobs arrive. I put together this very nice piece. 16mm test tube, 10mm borosilicate tube - 2.2mm wall, SS screen, cork craft sheet, a limb of firewood. The goal was to take away the "pulling vapour off glass over a jet flame" that felt a bit icky to me. Now I roast the load for 22 seconds on a butane canister torch, slip it into the handle. Let the temp stablise for a jiffy, then puff up a big toke! Looks much like a e-juice pen, except all "natural" materials (if glass counts...?).

Last edited:

tukatukera

Retailer
Hey, back again already. I had another pile of glass bits and bobs arrive. I put together this very nice piece. 16mm test tube, 10mm borosilicate tube - 2.2mm wall, SS screen, cork craft sheet, a limb of firewood. The goal was to take away the "pulling vapour off glass over a jet flame" that felt a bit icky to me. Now I roast the load for 22 seconds on a butane canister torch, slip it into the handle. Let the temp stablise for a jiffy, then puff up a big toke! Looks much like a e-juice pen, except all "natural" materials (if glass counts...?).

Love it!

Piecho

FJ8bdaR.jpg

Here is a parts list:

Thanks!
I made a quick list myself for the folks in the EU : )

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005822819849.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002682318003.html - 16x100 (not sure abut this cheap one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32911056659.html )
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000211752011.html - also not sure about stopers. I mean which size, and why the hell they are the most expensive : D Not sure how hot it gets here, maybe some 3d printing?

About the glass size. Is there any perfect spot when comes to the size that you go with 16x100?

Dee Based

Thanks!
I made a quick list myself for the folks in the EU : )

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005822819849.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002682318003.html - 16x100 (not sure abut this cheap one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32911056659.html )
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000211752011.html - also not sure about stopers. I mean which size, and why the hell they are the most expensive : D Not sure how hot it gets here, maybe some 3d printing?

About the glass size. Is there any perfect spot when comes to the size that you go with 16x100?
Hi Piecho!

* You should be fine with those glass one-hitters, the outside diameter needs to be 12mm. Usually a 10mm inner diameter will have a 12mm outer.
* Not sure about those lab clips, I ordered #12, which is 12mm, to fit around the one-hitter. I couldn't find any 12/16mm lab clips or it wouldn't need the rubber band to hold the two glass pieces together.
* The 16x100mm test tube is to allow the 12mm one-hitter to fit inside. Just be sure test tubes are made of Borosilicate Glass (heat resistant) - the ones in your links are borosilicate.
* With this design you won't need stoppers.
Good job finding even cheaper parts!

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
Nice to c more variations, keep it up! - it shouldn't be to complicated to mix up a tool to press some shred cork into the needed shape for the connecting piece...
but the kiss solution would be to look for some cheap fda baking silicone kitchen thingy that can be cut into shape, or just wedge between 2 strips...

The next level to having strain dedicated inner tubes is to put them in grove bags during curing, seems to result in an extra terpy first hit...

Last edited:
Top Bottom