• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Strain Geeks?

arb

Semi shaved ape
CSC-0227.jpg

Afghan X afghan going back to Afghanistan.
They choose for resin production there also.

Shadooz

I don't really care that much about what strains taste like (sorry!); my interest is the effects.
all sativa i'v vaped only get the citrus taste...sourness... So if i go indica, or hybrid at least, i want another taste than lemon
IMO the taste isn't representative of the name and the effects are nothing to write home about. Give me old school Grapefruit any day over any Zkittlez variant.
When taste become specific it hard to know if it's true. Watermelon... Never tasted vanilla in different vanilla kush... from different grower (big factor the grower about taste)

But my papilla already got some violette taste, some reglisse/anis taste, all the agrume variant... Some strain are juste memorables

I keep different strain for that reason, not being bored with one flavor

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
I'm just old enough to have seen a few things before they became extinct or when they were newer.

My mother had a connection that still got thai stick in '92. Same connect sold me my first ounce of Skunk #1 not long after that. It had a 14 gram kola that fit perfectly in the dancing bears glass jar I had at the time. Through a few sources during that period I saw, Northern lights, Miami Crippler (later to be known as OG Kush), Blueberry, (real) Jack Herer, Sour Diesel, G-13, to name a few. The last time I saw a "pure" strain was probably Skunk #1 about 2 years ago I think. I've seen some old school strains pop up in that time period as well like White Widow. Blue Dream, and Bubba Kush are probably the strains I've come across the most. Personally I never want to see Bubba Kush again... total sleeping pill for me.

Strains like the original Jack Herer looked, tasted, and felt different, than the Super Jack crosses you see around. It was a low yield variety often only attempted by the most proficient growers of the time. It had light beige flower with deep maroon hairs and little bud nuggets along wispy thin stems. This is the first strain that I personally remember having with that really uplifting sativa effect. Last time I saw it was at a coffeeshop in Amsterdam in 2012. I currently have some Jack but it's definitely a cross. When I was there in 2017 they had many fruit flavor themed strains. Often in years gone by they were crossing with haze a lot typically.

Information was mostly limited to what you would read in high times back in the day, and most people knew far less than that. At some point in the 90's the term "dro" was going around for high potency flower. 99% of people using the term were oblivious that this was from the word hydroponic and should only specifically be used regarding flower grown that way. This sort of lazy deferment of knowledge is still evidenced very recently as well, including the term "G-Pen", the preference for Indica (in da couch) 10 years ago, and now the knee jerk preferences to sativa that you see a lot. People now seem to want a strain that will help them run a marathon, write their masters thesis, have the best sex of their lives, and sleep like a baby, all in one! :D

Some people definitely have hard preferences based on medical and psychological needs but a lot of people just really go along with something they heard or get hung up on a strain because it's one they had when they were younger or it had a particular effect that one time. A lot of how a strain can effect you can be dependent on ones mental state, and physical health in the moment they partake. Psychedelics and their effects are more prone to the influence of expectations and external elements than other drugs. If you didn't sleep well the night before and vape some sativa, you may still get the nods. If you use an indica first thing one morning and engage in vigorous activity you may feel energized. I had a Lavender Kush once. It's an indica dominant strain. It had distinctly sativa like effects for me (wish I could find that again). I just encourage people to try as many strains as you can and make up your own mind on preferences and not to just follow what others say and do.

The vast majority of what I see these days are crosses and technically most of that is hybrid sativa/indica. I learned to like a wide range and when possible I do use sativa in the day and indica at night more. These days I've come to enjoy 50/50 crosses as well. Disco Lemonade and LA Cake are 2 examples I've had recently.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

CSC-0227.jpg

Afghan X afghan going back to Afghanistan.
They choose for resin production there also.
Yeah man mine looked soooooooooo different . damn hahahaha enjoy dat one
the taste of woods-cranberry-some-other-berry-too is strong?!
set you like you're in the woods in india or so

GoldenBud

My mother had a connection that still got thai stick in '92. Same connect sold me my first ounce of Skunk #1 not long after that. It had a 14 gram kola that fit perfectly in the dancing bears glass jar I had at the time. Through a few sources during that period I saw, Northern lights, Miami Crippler (later to be known as OG Kush), Blueberry, (real) Jack Herer, Sour Diesel, G-13, to name a few. The last time I saw a "pure" strain was probably Skunk #1 about 2 years ago I think. I've seen some old school strains pop up in that time period as well like White Widow. Blue Dream, and Bubba Kush are probably the strains I've come across the most. Personally I never want to see Bubba Kush again... total sleeping pill for me.
How does Skunk #1 taste like? I had Black Mamba and she had taste of like Onion+Garlic+Licorice. is that Skunk taste too plus minus? never had Skunk tho
OG Kush is the shit, the Linalool is a badass terpene. high in thc and what's not

Last edited:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
How does Skunk #1 taste like? I had Black Mamba and she had taste of like Onion+Garlic+Licorice. is that Skunk taste too plus minus? never had Skunk tho
OG Kush is the shit, the Linalool is a badass terpene. high in thc and what's not
just took a photo of OG ice hash.. damn.. so intense..probably the strongest i have ever had.. lol (not cured tho, not wet)

Skunk is named after the animal for it's super strong smell.

It's definitely earthy and musky. The smell can linger for days.

I know a lot of strains by smell but funnily I don't often compare them to foods like a lot of others do.

cvs8floz

I have never seen a plant I considered done in 8 weeks.
I have seen a lot of cuts that could be taken at that time but still had quite a bit left to give.
Or conversely they do finish quickly but that's due to shit environmental conditions and the plant has not reached its genetic potential.
12 weeks weeks seems about average for most of the Afghan stock I have run,ran.......ran........RAN!
😂
Shit seeds make for shit trees and a shit seed never falls far from a shit tree but they do provide a nice roost for the shithawks.
The winds of shit be blowin.
The only strain I ever grew from seed to finish in 8 weeks was Dutch Passion Think Different Auto, it was a fast grower from day 1 and truly finished in just under 8 weeks. Plant was on the small side and unremarkable in taste and effect, only 1 seed out of 3 sprouted, will not repeat. Even most autos will take 3 to 4 months to truly finish. I currently have a regular plant that I started 1/1/21 just go into flower, I will probably end up harvesting when the plant is 8 months old.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha

This coffeeshop in Amsterdam prides itself on it's genetics. It's all brass rails, marble, lab coats, and bowler hats. They never allowed consumption inside unless you booked a session with the manager or owner or some such business. :p

I've had their Tangerine G13 hash, some of their haze crosses, i think their pure Tangie, some full melt bubble hash, and some "rare" but admittedly interesting crosses they were toying with and made daily specials out of; strains from the 70's and 80's crossed with more modern strains.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Some people definitely have hard preferences based on medical and psychological needs but a lot of people just really go along with something they heard or get hung up on a strain because it's one they had when they were younger.
Here’s what I don’t get. Everyone sort of knows that all the strains have been crossed and recrossed over time so that there aren’t many (if any) pure strains left (and even the granddaddy strains were bred from something. By outlaws!). All the genotypes are scrambled.

At the same time, we still talk in terms of lineages, purity, crosses, etc. since it’s the only way to have dialogue, even if it’s mostly hot gas. When I go to a dispensary, I use all the verbiage not bc I think it’s what I’ll get but bc it’s useful shorthand for the effects I’m after. I’ve had ‘energizing’ indicas and couch-locking ‘sativa-dominant’ strains bc of the sheer variance in seed stock, growing/harvesting practices, budtender knowledge, etc. before you even get to the fact that everything’s bastardized.

Since you guys have clearly given it some thought, how do you bridge the disconnect? And where can you get 90s era Northern Lights?

GoldenBud

At the same time, we still talk in terms of lineages, purity, crosses, etc. since it’s the only way to have dialogue, even if it’s mostly hot gas. When I go to a dispensary, I use all the verbiage not bc I think it’s what I’ll get but bc it’s useful shorthand for the effects I’m after. I’ve had ‘energizing’ indicas and couch-locking ‘sativa-dominant’ strains bc of the sheer variance in seed stock, growing/harvesting practices, budtender knowledge, etc. before you even get to the fact that everything’s bastardized.
So true! same genotype will give much more "sativa effect" if the grower decided to cut in the 45th day instead of 54th~ of flowering stage. I felt it lol

edit: is anybody tried Dr. Grinspoon here? Its crop so small that nobody ever grown this shit, I'd like to know how it feels like ;)

Last edited:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Since you guys have clearly given it some thought, how do you bridge the disconnect?
I only have my past experience to help identify qualities I associate with certain strains. As you pointed out, if you drill down into lineage and crosses and then all the additional factors that surround that, you'll never be satisfied with the "purity" of nearly any flower you find these days. I may have had Skunk #1 a couple years ago but how many branches off the genetic tree was that from what I smoked in '92?

And the only 100% verified strains I likely have had are those from the most reputable Amsterdam coffeeshops. This is what I say to people about cartridges they find on the street. If you didn't get it from the dispensary yourself, the person selling it to you can tell you anything they want.

Here in the USA I take every name for flower with a grain of salt and have to trust my experience and my sources. Cannabis is a bit like music in that there's only so much in a name when what matters is how it makes you feel.

darbarikanada

Since you guys have clearly given it some thought, how do you bridge the disconnect?
leafly reviews can be helpful, but not if there's only a small # (that could be people hyping a strain), and you have to give more weight to articulate, coherent reviews. even so, due to all the variables, what you end up with might not fit what you read. I'm sure many people here have tried the same strain in different forms (e.g. wax, flower) and had very different experiences - you just have to try things for yourself. (I mentioned earlier that purple arrow, an indica-leaning hybrid, has consistently been highly 'creative' for me, but supposedly if you want creative strains you're supposed to seek out sativas - or even more specifically, lemon-y ones).

most budtenders are no help, but that's understandable: how could they possibly try everything in the store multiple times?

sometimes it helps, if you see an unfamiliar strain, to ask budtenders what strain it resembles, but usually that just gets generic descriptions ('daytime strain', 'couch-lock').

it's because of this 'wild west' situation we're in that I have my 'system' (such as it is): in the end, all that matters is what works for me, whatever the reasons. 2 of my all-time favorites are practically unknown strains (kali mist, sleestack); they sounded interesting so I took a chance - and woo-hoo!

Bazinga

Almost all (maybe all) the strains mentioned in this thread are unavailable in the state of Maryland. Heavy Indica strains work best for me - particularly now. The cartilage in my left knee is practically non-existent. I haven't been able to enjoy my daily jog for the last week. My left shoulder has an impingement and will require surgery (already have undergone surgery 10 years ago) and last Sunday after diving for a line drive (yes, I caught it) I fractured my left ring finger. Like the idiot I am I continued to play culminating in a shattered middle phalange. Too many fragments to repair, it appears I will need a bone/joint replacement. I'm in pain but fortunately the heavy Indica allows me to sleep. How the hell am I going to play softball this Sunday?

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Almost all (maybe all) the strains mentioned in this thread are unavailable in the state of Maryland. Heavy Indica strains work best for me - particularly now. The cartilage in my left knee is practically non-existent. I haven't been able to enjoy my daily jog for the last week. My left shoulder has an impingement and will require surgery (already have undergone surgery 10 years ago) and last Sunday after diving for a line drive (yes, I caught it) I fractured my left ring finger. Like the idiot I am I continued to play culminating in a shattered middle phalange. Too many fragments to repair, it appears I will need a bone/joint replacement. I'm in pain but fortunately the heavy Indica allows me to sleep. How the hell am I going to play softball this Sunday?

Designated RUNNER!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
leafly reviews can be helpful, but not if there's only a small # (that could be people hyping a strain), and you have to give more weight to articulate, coherent reviews. even so, due to all the variables, what you end up with might not fit what you read. I'm sure many people here have tried the same strain in different forms (e.g. wax, flower) and had very different experiences - you just have to try things for yourself. (I mentioned earlier that purple arrow, an indica-leaning hybrid, has consistently been highly 'creative' for me, but supposedly if you want creative strains you're supposed to seek out sativas - or even more specifically, lemon-y ones).

most budtenders are no help, but that's understandable: how could they possibly try everything in the store multiple times?

sometimes it helps, if you see an unfamiliar strain, to ask budtenders what strain it resembles, but usually that just gets generic descriptions ('daytime strain', 'couch-lock').

it's because of this 'wild west' situation we're in that I have my 'system' (such as it is): in the end, all that matters is what works for me, whatever the reasons. 2 of my all-time favorites are practically unknown strains (kali mist, sleestack); they sounded interesting so I took a chance - and woo-hoo!

Yeah this is exactly what I do, when I am browsing my search for the strains, google "name strain" and then skim through the results, Leafly kinda sucks imo and AllBud is sorta hit or miss, but using Google you get a lot more options especially for all the brand new strains they keep making, SeedFinder is a nice one that pops up a lot...

But yes you need to take all of it with a grain of salt, since it is not the exact herb you are going to buy usually, just like with the reviews everyone's body chemistry is different (also most reviews are smoking it so they're essentially absolutely useless hahaha I'm such a snob) So yeah I will find analogous strains to figure out what the hybrid will be like, based on my own experience and my research...

This is generally pretty effective, but you get some misses occasionally, which are offset by some big big hits however! And yeah bud tenders can be pretty useless unfortunately, downright harmful misleading more often than not in my experience and some others I know... That being said, still another useful thing to take with a grain of salt altogether!

Oh I didn't know you were MD, ha pun, need to get some shipments from out of town somehow! :brow:

arb

Semi shaved ape
I take it the stone finally passed?
😂

GoldenBud

70 days of flowering vs 55 days of most GSC hybrids etc', and not as dense as all the Hybrids today... wonders why nobody grows Sativas today? :/
...And the Dark Shadow Haze looks so good
I'm sure people still grow them, but they become rare and rare...

arb

Semi shaved ape
70 days of flowering vs 55 days of most GSC hybrids etc', and not as dense as all the Hybrids today... wonders why nobody grows Sativas today? :/
...And the Dark Shadow Haze looks so good
I'm sure people still grow them, but they become rare and rare...
Why don't you?
😁

Seedfinder is probably my favorite site for researching genetics.

@darbarikanada you mentioned Kali Mist… I never had it straight up, but I still remember this very unique flower I had from a medical delivery service about 7-8 years ago, Crystal Ship. It’s Kali Mist x Kodiak Gold.

darbarikanada

Kali Mist
the reviews were promising (and it was cheap), so I grabbed some. of course nobody at the dispensary had tried it. I was immediately gobsmacked at how insanely creative it was; I was heading for the studio before I finished my bowl - and subsequent 'testing' confirmed it. true to form though, when I picked up some flower (the first stuff was wax), the effect wasn't nearly as intense; still very creative/motivating, but definitely less so.

Top Bottom