Strain Geeks?

darbarikanada

decades ago, someone shared some S. African weed with me; he called it 'S. African tripping grass' or 'dagga' (it was probably Durban Poison). never having had 100% sativa, I found its cerebral quality amazing, but had to wait until the advent of legal weed to find it in the US. now, with 1000's of strains out there, I decided to try to get a sense of the different highs cannabis is capable of producing. it's not just 'couch-lock' vs. 'energizing' of course, but there are so many variables (e.g. how good a job the grower did) that it's not a simple matter to pin down the character of any given strain, to say nothing of comparing different ones.

I figured that if I read reviews carefully, that would point me in the direction of the traits I'd like, so that narrowed the field. then there's 'experimental methodology': I'd have to keep my tolerance fairly stable, weigh how much I vaped (per load), pay attention to THC #'s, take notes, try each strain 3x+ to see if my observations were consistent.

I'm not a heavy user (~1x/week), so it's been a long process, but it's paid off: I can choose strains to match what I want to do while high (make art? dance? watch a comedy? ponder the mysteries of the universe? dissolve into a puddle? reduce pain?).

pretty geeky - and I've never met or heard of anyone doing this. has anyone on this forum done this?

(I read an interview of someone employed by a dispensary to test their product, but she ended up kind of hating it, probably a classic case of "too much of a good thing")

Razhumikin

Im a total strain geek. I have a bud bar of ~20 strains i keep at home and specifically choose the strains i vape for what i want to do (sativas in the morning/when im going out/making art and indicas when i wanna relax at home/watch a movie/go to bed. I have specific sativas and indicas too that i use for specific things (afghani for bed time, peanut butter breath for big meals, mimosa for weekend mornings, chocolope for weekday mornings, and so on.)

Pic:

Last edited:

GoldenBud

Almost every new strain in the market today, and also 5 years ago I think, had some percentage of OG Kush/Skunk/Chem/OG something/Diesel smth
take a look as GSC. GSC is like OG Kush+ Durban, so it has the high THC side and sells greatly in the USA I think since like 20 years ago?

and Durban is like some sativa as you said...and I think it supposed to give the taste of the cookies or so? Something in the taste of the GSC is based on these great Durban from Africa, where the Outdoors grow are closer to the Equator!!! I dunno.. but it always built on some OG+Skunk or Few OG all over... (the ice-hash from good OG is unbelievable.. )

Just by the name you can't know if the genetics is pointed at X or Y, depends how the grower did the "seeds selection" so on....

if you want diversity - try finding some strain that don't contain Skunk/OG Kush etc'

Like Alaskan Thunder Fuck...

If you are searching for sativa.. other than ATF which is great.. try Finding "Ghost train haze" , my favorite strain for cleaning the house, lol
really great one

PS
never tried a Durban Poison, but tried a very good GSC. how's the Durban? it is sweet?

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I love the variety, and the categorization, trying new things, and having a large variety on hand, however I have not been scientific at all as I just tried to remember my favorites when I see them for sale again, leaning towards anything fruity... Been sooo lazy lol

darbarikanada

never tried a Durban Poison, but tried a very good GSC. how's the Durban? it is sweet?
I consider Durban to be a combination of 'energizing' and 'creative' (project-y); similar to Jack Herer or Cinex, but a tad less creative than those 2. maybe closer to allen wrench. I've found both ATF and Ghost Train Haze to be intensely energizing, not as jittery as green crack, but still 'like being carried on a giant wave' - if that makes any sense. GSC seems kind of brilliant to me: combine a head-y sative (Durban) with a more body high hybrid, so you get both effects.

I don't really care that much about what strains taste like (sorry!); my interest is the effects.

GoldenBud

I consider Durban to be a combination of 'energizing' and 'creative' (project-y); similar to Jack Herer or Cinex, but a tad less creative than those 2. maybe closer to allen wrench. I've found both ATF and Ghost Train Haze to be intensely energizing, not as jittery as green crack, but still 'like being carried on a giant wave' - if that makes any sense. GSC seems kind of brilliant to me: combine a head-y sative (Durban) with a more body high hybrid, so you get both effects.

I don't really care that much about what strains taste like (sorry!); my interest is the effects.
ATF I know as the most uplifty strain, it basically puts you higher but not sending your head to the sides. unbelievable and the best sativa I've ever tried, the Green crack I knew was top too, but kinda more hybrid high I think. it is very hard to compare different phenotypes eh?! but the ATF was unbelievable, PLUS it had more trichomes than the Green crack so maybe that's why

I really like GSC if you need to study/be creative/etc

How's the Watermelon Zkittels for you? I see its success in USA etc
EDIT: forgot to mention my experience, I really really recommend the Watermelon Zkittels X Wedding cake .... energetic hybrid, the punch is strong but later it gets you into work

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Haha yeah I'm interested in the effects as well, I like hybrids, really good balanced sativa hybrid with amazing flavor that I tried recently was Willy Wonka... I also tend to like Candyland and Tropic Truffle, 60/40 sativa hybrids, Blue Dream and Lemon variants, like Lemon Cake (Jesus OG Lemon OG sativa) and Lemon Meringue (a really nice sativa lemon kush cookies n cream) that I fell in love with last year... Sundae Driver is nice more chill Indica leaning hybrid though pretty balanced, also got Grape Soda hybrid recently that I am really enjoying strong effects from! Lot of euphoric and relaxing stuff, I need to get some more motivational sativa strains again now though!

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I usually order, only strong sativa strains, a new one for me.

3871F9D0-06D9-4889-B1E8-5718C937DC1F.jpeg

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
How's the Watermelon Zkittels for you? I see its success in USA etc

Just another mediocre hybrid, like pretty much everything out there. It's kind of funny to see people talk about indica and sativa like those exist on dispensary shelves. It's near impossible to find a true indica or sativa as they aren't cost effective to grow. Real sativas spend more time flowering than the average cultivars entire grow cycle. An 8 week Durban Poison from Dutch Passion that you'd find in a retail shop will never hit like real Durban, flowered for 4 months. I'd have better luck heading down to Mexico than finding a genuine sativa in a dispensary.

arb

Semi shaved ape
I have never seen a plant I considered done in 8 weeks.
I have seen a lot of cuts that could be taken at that time but still had quite a bit left to give.
Or conversely they do finish quickly but that's due to shit environmental conditions and the plant has not reached its genetic potential.
12 weeks weeks seems about average for most of the Afghan stock I have run,ran.......ran........RAN!
😂
Shit seeds make for shit trees and a shit seed never falls far from a shit tree but they do provide a nice roost for the shithawks.
The winds of shit be blowin.

Shadooz

Just another mediocre hybrid
What make it mediocre for u ? The taste or the cannabinoides concentrations ?

Real sativas spend more time flowering than the average cultivars entire grow cycle.
12 weeks weeks seems about average for most of the Afghan stock
And afghan are the fast one...
Real Sativa are always more than 90 days indoor and outdoor, here, it never end ( not before frost..)

Strain like top44 were named for 44days bloom, commercial name for a commercial strain. Where u don't care of the taste,... hash plant,... just for potency/time

Last edited:
I'm an indica guy for the most part and it's definitely getting harder and harder to find good indica strains in dispensaries these days. Everything is just another variation on a GSC/OG cross. I did grab some Cherry Pie (GDP x Durban) the other day and it's really nice. Blueberry is one classic indica I'm able to find consistently. But, stuff like GDP and Purple Urkel seems to be phased out in recreational dispensaries since it doesn't test high enough in THC - that's all the average consumer cares about unfortunately.

Razhumikin

I'm an indica guy for the most part and it's definitely getting harder and harder to find good indica strains in dispensaries these days. Everything is just another variation on a GSC/OG cross. I did grab some Cherry Pie (GDP x Durban) the other day and it's really nice. Blueberry is one classic indica I'm able to find consistently. But, stuff like GDP and Purple Urkel seems to be phased out in recreational dispensaries since it doesn't test high enough in THC - that's all the average consumer cares about unfortunately.
Are you on the west Coast/in the mountain west? I feel like i dont have a lot of trouble finding great indicas out east, the dispensary i go to most frequently almost always has afhgani or kunduz available, which are pure indica landraces, along with a nice selection of interesting indicas. Pure sativas are a lot harder to find for me.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
What make it mediocre for u ? The taste or the cannabinoides concentrations ?

Both. IMO the taste isn't representative of the name and the effects are nothing to write home about. Give me old school Grapefruit any day over any Zkittlez variant. These days I definitely prefer older genetics and just making my own mixes in the grinder if I want to play around. Much more versatile than just cross breeding everything. A favorite of mine currently is mixing Strawberry Cough with some Velvet Pie.

I'm an indica guy for the most part and it's definitely getting harder and harder to find good indica strains in dispensaries these days. Everything is just another variation on a GSC/OG cross.

Absolutely correct. A sea of GSC variants, and very few of them are ever better than the original GSC.

GoldenBud

Afghani is really weak Indica AFAIK. I had it but not sure the phenotype was meant to be be strong or just to sell. @letter never sent try finding Black Mamba from exotic genetix. I saw you posting some strain from Exotix but forgot its name..
he's one of the most serious breeders I think

about the Afghani.. any of you tried real strong Afghani?!

I also recommend Kush Mintz. you feel in the morning that you vaped last night:)

@invertedisdead you ever saw an ATF or Super Lemon Haze in Cali??

Razhumikin

Afghani is really weak Indica AFAIK. I had it but not sure the phenotype was meant to be be strong or just to sell. @letter never sent try finding Black Mamba from exotic genetix. I saw you posting some strain from Exotix but forgot its name..
he's one of the most serious breeders I think

about the Afghani.. any of you tried real strong Afghani?!

I also recommend Kush Mintz. you feel in the morning that you vaped last night:)

@invertedisdead you ever saw an ATF or Super Lemon Haze in Cali??
I LOVE afghani. I dont think I've had a batch of it thats crazy strong, but it definitely gets the job done, and I adore both the flavor and effects. It is so chill and relaxing, with absolutely no anxiety to it, and it has an incredible chocolate taste on the exhale. Big fan.

GoldenBud

Man... the Afghani really tasted like the good woods, really good taste, but weak. it's ALL depends in the phenotype and the seeds selection eh!?
LSD....Barney's Farm... @Razhumikin ... the wooden-cranberry-lite taste... so good.. I really recommend this one, for me it was very good for relaxing.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Both. IMO the taste isn't representative of the name and the effects are nothing to write home about. Give me old school Grapefruit any day over any Zkittlez variant. These days I definitely prefer older genetics and just making my own mixes in the grinder if I want to play around. Much more versatile than just cross breeding everything. A favorite of mine currently is mixing Strawberry Cough with some Velvet Pie.

Absolutely correct. A sea of GSC variants, and very few of them are ever better than the original GSC.

Ah.... Strawberry Cough, another one I like, thanks for the reminder.

Top Bottom