Tek Spiderman's Oil Extravaganza!

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
I find I have gotten my best yields when I have used buds with lots and lots of visible white tric heads on the outside and inside when broken up. I break them up into popcorn sized or slightly smaller. I've gotten anywhere from 12 to 19% doing it this way in my SSTB.

did an xmas batch this morning and got 1.3g from 7g! 18.7%! christmas bonus for me!

MarcellusWiley,

stroh

errl enthusiast
hello everyone, hope everybody had a great holiday!

@wattyler, the reason for the darker oil being more pleasing to the palate is because of the addition of kief or dry sift into your run. kief runs are known for being quite flavorful and aromatic, very high yielding, and darker than flower runs most of the time. i attribute the darker color of your oil to the old low quality popcorn nugs used, and due to the kief. my oils are usually pretty tasty if i do a good job on the batch, this lemon skunk has an extreme citrus tang and is quite reminiscent of the nug's smell, perhaps try experimenting with lower/longer purge temps to preserve more of the volatile terpenes, that stuff in the first dish looks very nice!

@fredmgguire, yield is mostly in the starting product, and to a much lesser degree, your packing technique and vessel used for extraction. that SSTB looks completely fine, but you might want to saw it down to 2/3 of the original size, unless you plan on doing larger runs in the future. a smaller extractor will be easier to pack reaaally tight, and i stress this as a good, tight pack is essential to increasing pressure and extraction efficiency of the butane. however, if changing your technique does nothing to affect the yield, you might just have to manage with 5% yielding bud unless you can find a new connect :\

stroh,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
hmmm...
thanks for the tips, I'll definitely try packing tighter next time, I'll also try breaking up my buds a bit more next time.

I might be getting some nicer bud soon, and if it turns out well, I'll try a run with it too.

I just ordered an omicron :brow: (From the classifieds section), so I probably won't do another run until that comes. I can't wait. :)

Frederick McGuire,

High Sigh

SG addict
stroh said:
that SSTB looks completely fine, but you might want to saw it down to 2/3 of the original size, unless you plan on doing larger runs in the future. a smaller extractor will be easier to pack reaaally tight, and i stress this as a good, tight pack is essential to increasing pressure and extraction efficiency of the butane. :\
This is so true. When I first started making oil I heard not to pack too tight and I'd always pack in only 7 grams. When I started packing it reall tight is when I noticed the yield go up slightly (pretty much get 20%+ every time)...

High Sigh,

weedemon

enthusiast
did 2 runs today. one was a big old jar of 1st wash buds, mostly mighty mite, sour diesel, afghan, and blueberry, it ground it up as this was its final extraction before the garbage can(the herbs still look fantastic though so i'm sad to throw it out. haha)

this made a dark oil that is less tasty than first wash but still quite potent.i didn't weigh my jar before adding the oil but I would say i got a solid gram from it.

then i did 12 grams of super silver haze[no grinding, just gentle busting to make it fit in the tube.] and that only gave my an 8.5% return, (from amazing looking nugs I was totally disappointed on the yield) but the oil is superb. one dab and good lord.... :p :D this stuff is like crystal too! my dabber shatters it into dust and shards when i try to pull a lil bit off! haha needs heat to be worked with if you don't want to waste it it seems. do you rewmember the candy lotsa fizz? well it tastes like the cherry candy of that! :brow: the buds tasted gross imo lol so im glad i made oil out of it. :)

way too high for my usual dabs. haha.

weedemon,

High Sigh

SG addict
So i decided to finally start vac purging, and i love it! Im using a hand pump now but got an electric vac on the way to get it down to vaccuum while the oils molten. I love being able to get crystal clear glass so easily with low heat.

High Sigh,

weedemon

enthusiast
I have always wanted to get into that part myself. I went to a local store i thought would carry it, but i was left disappointed. i think maybe poor customer service might have been an issue too. though.

so this manual one you have where did you get it ?

how would you describe the oil before / after this process?

weedemon,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Could anyone describe where in the process vacuu-purging would take place?
Is it in lieu of the heating in a double boiler?
Before the double boiler?
After?

I wouldn't mind trying a vacuu-purge for my next run...

Frederick McGuire,

High Sigh

SG addict
I got the manual vac pump off of amazon for like 30 bucks
It takes too long to get to vaccuum so when the bubbles pop, they dont collapse, leaving craters in it, but clears it up nicely.
Most people do a low temp double boiler purge, then throw it in the oven to heat it. When its molten from the oven its time to vac.
I want to try cutting out the entire double boiler setup for a run and see how it goes.

High Sigh,

gvape

So far the best technique I have discovered from many trial and errors is to extract my oil on a pyrex dish dish and heat for 15-30 seconds, no more than 60. I stir this the whole time and then take off the heater and let it cool down for a little bit. I scrape it all up, put it on my dish and vacuum purge it with one of those break kit things in a ball jar. I usually pump it until about 28 or 29 psi, rarely do I reach the max of 30. It doesnt really start to purge unless I get over 20, and 25 is the key point I feel. I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes and then sometimes again for a few minutes, but rarely does it do anything the second time around. It all depends on the amount of butane and how big of a run I do. I do a lot of micro runs so I use very little butane. Either way, my end result is some of the best smelling and tasting I have had. Often budders up after a day of sitting in my dish with almost every strain, but is a taffy like ear wax. I really enjoy the end result and happy I found a consistent way to achieve it. Hope that offers some help.

gvape,

High Sigh

SG addict
IME if its budders after 2-3 days its got a gooood amount of butane in it. Try vac purging it 2-3 times next time. With big runs ive had to vac purge 20+ times and still had some in it. Hand pumps really suck

High Sigh,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
FLskwat,

High Sigh

SG addict
Im not sure what you linked to because it brought me to the wring place, but youll want it to get to AT THE VERY LEAST around -600mmHg or -25inHg, however one that can get to -29.99inHg or -759.99mmHg. Any vac pump with under a 75 micron rating will be fine for this and shouldnt be hard to find local or online.

High Sigh,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Yes my link is a nalgene chamber with integrated hand pump below.
Thx for your answer bro' but now I'm puzzled...you are saying that the mityvacs are almost not enough (25 inHg max vacuum on their catalog)... And I have red multiple threads saying even a pumpnseal does the job... OK then, I'll look for a decent hand pump similar to the one sold by extraction experts! Thx again for the figures!

FLskwat,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I picked one up off ebay FLskwat for about 23. Where I live I can only get it to about 23 inHG (the altitude maybe), but that seems to be plenty. I actually bought it as part of a car brake bleeding kit, and I use the plastic reservoir for catching the brake fluid as a vacuum chamber. It seems to work pretty well. I'm glad I didn't spend more, which I very nearly did.

WatTyler,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Thx for the info Bro'!
I found a kit with a high end quality pump for 55e!

Yesterday did a run with 8,9 grams of Amnesia Haze crossed with some Cheese and got 1,75g., this being a +19% yield: me happy!

I red many times the shape of the extractor has an incidence on pressure during extraction. I own 2 honey Beez (one for "browns", one for "greens"). Yes they are easy to use but they have a few cons:
their shape is not the best for extractions < 15-20g,
it is plastic (though stated safe for butane contact),
and as the screwed cap is on the dripping end...no real way to pack decently your material prior to butane spraying!

So I decided to buy this SPECIFIC turkey baster:
http://www.lejeune.tm.fr/img/produits/901709.jpg
Why, beacause the needle is screwed to the top. So I cut the needle at its base ands drilled the perfect hole for the butane nipple...VOILA! I now have the perfect 10g max extractor that I pictured: 100% SS, not too big AND with a screwing top for easy packing: I-DE-AL!

The results of my first run with my new extractor are very relevant:
I think I get more or less 20% more yield with the turkey baster VS. the Honey Beez (same material, same weight, same quantity of 'tane). Meaning I would get 1,40g with my honey Bee vs. 1,75g with my MOD turkey baster!
;)
This week end, pictures!

FLskwat,

Sour Deez

Yea i have heard many people claim getting 20-30% more yield switching from the honey bee to a more narrow tube.

Sour Deez,

weedemon

enthusiast
i broke my little glass one last weekend, so thanks for pointing that one out to me! looks awesome :)

weedemon,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
weedemon said:
i broke my little glass one last weekend, so thanks for pointing that one out to me! looks awesome :)

I use that same turkey baster...its been VERY Good to me!

3.99 or something at bed bath and beyond :D

MarcellusWiley,

stroh

errl enthusiast
scaled.php

hmk got here yesterday!

too bad i have nothing but a little dry claim from the joint to dab, my buddy broke my extractor so i cant do any runs till my new ones come in

stroh,

weedemon

enthusiast
nice looking curve stroh! :)

that's one dirty ass bubbler! hehe time for some reclaim i think?

weedemon,

stroh

errl enthusiast
thanks weedemon! and yes it is probably overdue for some claimage, the downstem is clogged, though a couple hard pulls is usually enough to free it up, though i haven't been dabbing very much lately, so thats why i've been letting this guy wallow in his own filth :p

stroh,
Top Bottom