• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

SpaceCase / Santa Cruz Shredder

So..?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio

stay true to yourselves
Let's get a quick consensus of what the average FCers preference is.
The two top contenders are the Space Case Herb Grinders, and the Santa Cruz Shredders.

They have their differences and similarities, but the only decent votes here will be from members who have owned/used both grinders.
I have only used the 3 piece SCS and am in love, so my vote is biased and will not be entered into this poll.
Curious to see what others think though.

purpleshredder.jpg
SpaceCase2PartSmallTitanium-3.jpg

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I've got a medium TI space case, and a medium (small? I can never remember the sizing SCS uses) SCS.
They're both 2pce grinders and approximately the same size (the space case has a slightly larger diameter)

My red SCS is my primary grinder, and I grind up just about everything I vape with it.
All my other grinders (including the space case) are collecting dust after getting the SCS.

My vote goes to SCS :tup:

I don't have both but that is an indication how satisfied I am with my SCS. It is a medium one I think. I love it and honestly have had no need to further look at grinders since getting one. Although I was happy to get an S&B grinder with my Crafty. I had one before but killed it with ISO. For a plastic grinder it sure does a good job.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Had an OG Space Case back in the day - very well machined. Ground well, nice and sturdy, really good grinder, 10 years ago (Then stupid drunk ass me traded it at a party for a Jumbo 8" grinder, which I HATED).

Bought a 4 piece GunMetal SCS based on the feedback from this site and LOVE IT! Especially after my shitty 4piece grinder from the LHS.

My *only* complaint is that the screen is way too tight, and damn near nothing gets through it (after months of grinding, practically nothing inside!). Of course a month after I bought my SCS they release the 3 piece version which I still lust for.

Maybe one day I'll sell this one and buy a 3 piece (In GunMetal, love the color)

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
Had an OG Space Case back in the day - very well machined. Ground well, nice and sturdy, really good grinder, 10 years ago (Then stupid drunk ass me traded it at a party for a Jumbo 8" grinder, which I HATED).

Bought a 4 piece GunMetal SCS based on the feedback from this site and LOVE IT! Especially after my shitty 4piece grinder from the LHS.

My *only* complaint is that the screen is way too tight, and damn near nothing gets through it (after months of grinding, practically nothing inside!). Of course a month after I bought my SCS they release the 3 piece version which I still lust for.

Maybe one day I'll sell this one and buy a 3 piece (In GunMetal, love the color)

That's weird. I get more kief with my SCS than any other grinder I've had. Still loving it more each day. Easy as hell to grind and a great consistency.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
That's funny, mine is so damn tight there's practically NO kief in the bottom tray - by now I'd have a nice stash of "reserves" in that bottom try with any other grinder. Not that I'm too worried either way, but still a bit annoying that I paid for a 4-piece and it acts like a 3 piece (without the nice rounded corners!)

Still, I love how solid my SCS feels, even when gunked up

grokit

well-worn member
I voted for the shredder, have never used a spacecase what else am i going to lol; it's better than the two sharpstones and the piranha and the other two no-names and the wooden nail one though :tup:

Vitolo

Vaporist
I would like to qualify my vote with comment.
I own every model of SC but only a couple of SCS.
My preference is always small 2 piece grinders.
There I always choose SCS.. and I voted as such, since I only use a 2 piece!

If I had to use a 4 piece, I go Space Case, for the design of the holes, they allow less to fall through (even while turning sideways, the SCS allows stuff to be nudged up through the openings).

Still.. my vote is SCS.

GreenDragon

OK, I had to find out for myself.
Longtime Space Case user here. I got a Santa Cruz Shredder because I always wanted a 3 piece grinder.

How did I vote on the poll? I didn't. I couldn't. I love them both.
I like both grinders for different reasons and purposes.

My Space Cases:
2pc small titanium (2" dia)
4pc medium titanium (2.5" dia)
Scout grinder/canister (1.5" dia)

My Santa Cruz Shredder:
3pc small purple (2" dia)

My two favorite grinders are the Space Case 4pc medium titanium and the Santa Cruz Shredder 3pc small purple.

*** Space Case 4pc medium titanium *** - I've used this grinder for more than five years.
Good size grind. Pretty consistent, sometimes passes a small BB sized piece. The fit and finish are very good. The titanium coating really does have non-stick properties. It stays clean, never had to clean it (SC wins here). The magnet is on the floor of the grinding section, herb can get caught under the top (SCS wins here). The grinder top rim overlaps outside of the grinder section wall, stays clean (SC wins here).
The threads are cut all the way to the top edge of the storage section and are finer than SCS. Makes it harder to start threads and required more revolutions to open/close (SCS wins here).

I like this grinder best for vaporizing. I prefer to suck the herb directly into the wand. Sucking material off a screen works better than sucking it off a flat impervious surface. I prefer to handle the herb as little as possible. All the sticky goodness should go into me, not on my fingers or grinder. I don't want the 4pc for kief collection.

*** Santa Cruz Shredder 3pc small purple *** - I've used this grinder for less than one month.
Good size grind. Very consistent grind. Nice and fluffy (SCS wins here). The fit and finish are very good.
The magnet is on the top of a post on the floor of the grinding section, less chance of herb getting caught under the top (SCS wins here). The grinder section top rim rides inside of the grinder bottom section wall, letting herb get caught and crushed (SC wins here). The threads are not cut all the way to the top edge of the storage section. There is a non-threaded, tapered section that lets them mate properly before threading. Add to that a slightly coarser thread than SC and this grinder is much easier to open/close (SCS wins here).

I like this grinder best for combustion (I know... the C word). The 3pc, no screen, curved bottom are easier to use for me for this purpose. The curved edge inside the bottom makes it a lot easier to pick up herb with your fingers.

Each of these manufacturers have features that I wish could all be had in one grinder. An SC/SCS hybrid would be perfect.
SC's titanium coating
SCS's 3pc no screen (I still prefer the 4pc for vaping) and curved bottom (who doesn't like a curvy bottom?)
SCS's threads and thread guide

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I like this grinder best for vaporizing. I prefer to suck the herb directly into the wand. Sucking material off a screen works better than sucking it off a flat impervious surface.

Thanks! You just saved me some money! I too suck the herb directly into my Nano Stem's. I have the 4-piece and was highly considering the 3 piece

4tokin

Large 4 piece SC is the daily grinder. It grinds well and collects kief well.

I am keenly awaiting the arrival of the large 3 piece SCS. That curved bowl:mmmm:

4tokin,

Radio

stay true to yourselves
My itch for quantitative & qualitative data is quenched. Ya'll can probably take this discussion back to the Herb Grinders thread :lol::ko:

MinnBobber

Large 4 piece SC is the daily grinder. It grinds well and collects kief well.

I am keenly awaiting the arrival of the large 3 piece SCS. That curved bowl:mmmm:

?? do you mean the SMALL 3 piece SCS?
It only comes in small unless they have added another 3 piece??

MinnBobber,

4tokin

?? do you mean the SMALL 3 piece SCS?
It only comes in small unless they have added another 3 piece??

No. I have big fingers and the small ones drive me insane.
There is a rumour that a large one may be produced.

4tokin,

BuzzDanklin

generally I use santa cruz shredder for my convection vapes, and my space case into the MFLB Finishing grinder for conduction ones. I have had my space for over 5 years and can't say a bad thing about it, but overall I prefer my SCS a little more.

BuzzDanklin,

SmokingElectricity

I usually stick with my chromium crushers. The teeth are still sharp after 5+ years when all my other grinders teeth have gone gone dull or the coating starts to come off.

SmokingElectricity,
Reactions: Radio
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom